yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment 1.19 problems?

Post by yvolk » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:46 am

Reind wrote:Oh and another thing, why is it necessary to show an yvcomment link on every article even when the comment option is disabled? I setted up an test site to run some tests and i noticed this strange behavior. On every page the following code is added to the source,

Code: Select all

<div class='yvComment' id='yvComment'>
<div class='PoweredBy'><a href="http://yurivolkov.com/Joomla/yvComment/index_en.html" target="_blank">yvComment v.1.19.0</a></div></div>
I agree this is not good and should be fixed.
Do you use any custom template on this site? If yes, try to start without them.
Anyway, I can't help you until I can reproduce the problem. How can I see the problem, starting from fresh Joomla! install?
BTW, there is NO 'PoweredBy' on your frontpage :)
Reind wrote:That's also a minor issue when upgrading to 1.19, even when the comment system is disabled it still add's stuff to your page that shouldn't belong there.
You mean even if yvComment plugin is disabled?
Reind wrote:In my opinion the developers should take 1.19 back to the drawing board and rethink there thoughts about templating and new functionality and how it should be added to the component.
Be sure: I'm constantly "rethinking". This is why you have to redo your custom templates, if you upgrade to v.1.19 :)
Moreover, I did some things without much confidence, that my decisions are the best, but I need to have feedback from users, who tries different configurations. As you may see, this project doesn't have any permanent group of testers: people solve their problems and disappear...
Last edited by yvolk on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Main logo for comments comes up but not a comments box

Post by yvolk » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:50 am

stopher83 wrote:Hi yeah i am having really problems with my comments please look at filmsulike.co.uk.
As you can see the main logo for comments comes up but not a comments box please help??
Hi, stopher83!
1. Are you using custom template for yvComment?
2. What is version of Joomla?
3. What do you see in php log? (maybe, some errors/notices...)
4. It's hard to guess without seeing configuration...

Reind
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: yvComment 1.19 problems?

Post by Reind » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:28 am

yvolk wrote: Do you use any custom template on this site? If yes, try to start without them.
Anyway, I can't help you until I can reproduce the problem. How can I see the problem, starting from fresh Joomla! install?
BTW, there is NO 'PoweredBy' on your frontpage :)
You can see it here, http://www.aboutdj.nl/test/index.php?op ... &Itemid=50 but even when you do an google search on yvcomment 1.19 youl see some sites appear that have the same problem. And it's NOT the fault of an non standard template because yvcomment ads it even when people are using the standard template.
Be sure: I'm constantly "rethinking". This is why you have to redo your custom templates, if you upgrade to v.1.19 :)
Moreover, I did some things without much confidence, that my decisions are the best, but I need to have feedback from users, who tries different configurations. As you may see, this project doesn't have any permanent group of testers: people solve their problems and disappear...
[/quote][/quote]

How can someone give proper feedback if there isn't an proper platform to give the feedback. This isn't the right place in my opinion, the most of the problems discribed over here are related to people who are maintaining an website but don't have any know how about how something could/should/maybe working.

And about missing some beta testers, i'm using it since 1.15 or 1.16 i think and every version when there are issues i sended yoy an e-mail with all the details. I'm i the only one who's doing that?

Anyway, maybe it's an idea to set up an J! site specialy for the yvcomment system where documentation can be foun, where the comment component can be seen live in action and where is an special section voor people who are willing to test new releases.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment 1.19.0 problems?

Post by yvolk » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:49 pm

Hi!
I've found and fixed this bug:
# "Powered by yvComment" was shown almost everywhere
(Didn't publish it yet...) It looks like no other bugs are found?
Reind wrote:How can someone give proper feedback if there isn't an proper platform to give the feedback. This isn't the right place in my opinion, the most of the problems discribed over here are related to people who are maintaining an website but don't have any know how about how something could/should/maybe working.
I think, Tracker section of JoomlaCode is the right place for bug reports.
BTW, to date, one Bug of yvComment was registered there (and it was fixed in v.1.19.0)
Reind wrote: And about missing some beta testers, i'm using it since 1.15 or 1.16 i think and every version when there are issues i sended yoy an e-mail with all the details. I'm i the only one who's doing that?
Of cause, not, but I don't have any "list of testers" to inform them about new version available for testing. And maybe, I don't need such list: everybody, who is interested, simply subscribes to JoomlaCode packages and they are notified automatically, when I post new version to the JoomlaCode...
Reind wrote:Anyway, maybe it's an idea to set up an J! site specialy for the yvcomment system where documentation can be foun, where the comment component can be seen live in action and where is an special section voor people who are willing to test new releases.
Good idea, but I don't have time to maintain such site (it needs to be autoreset frequently...)
We need volunteers to set up such yvComment's sandbox :)

Reind
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: yvComment 1.19.0 problems?

Post by Reind » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:19 pm

yvolk wrote: Good idea, but I don't have time to maintain such site (it needs to be autoreset frequently...)
We need volunteers to set up such yvComment's sandbox :)
Well count me in!

stopher83
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by stopher83 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:41 pm

i have followed the instructions on the support forum but the log does not give any information at all. where should i be looking??

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:04 am

stopher83 wrote:i have followed the instructions on the support forum but the log does not give any information at all. where should i be looking??
Most common cause of this "I don't see Add your comment link" problem is due to the security settings:
1. Try to log in to the frontend as admin. Do you see "Add your comment" links anywhere (on the frontpage, in article view)?
2. If you see these links, try to add some comments
3. Log off. Now you should see comments but still no "Add your comment" links. If this is so, you have to enable guests to add comments (see Homepage...)

TMorgan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by TMorgan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:34 am

Hello,
I have installed yvcomment. Unzipped in three different files. Everything installed fine.Created guest user. Created new comments section and unsorted comments category. I am using joomla 1.5.7. I utilize the legacy mode, but have tried turning it off.
I can get the comment form to show in the selected section/category/article.
When I hit the button to post the new comment I am redirected to my index page. Comment is not loaded/visible in front or back end.
Any Ideas?
the my site is www. sumter central .com without the spaces. I cannot give url to exact page as I have dissabled yvcomment at the current time.
Thanks, Todd

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:03 am

Hi, Todd!
1. I didn't test yvcomment in legacy mode.
2. Try to hit "preview" button, does it show you your comment before posting?
3. For the test purposes please enable yvcomment at least for one article (you may create some test one... so we can see anything.
TMorgan wrote:Hello,
I have installed yvcomment. Unzipped in three different files. Everything installed fine.Created guest user. Created new comments section and unsorted comments category. I am using joomla 1.5.7. I utilize the legacy mode, but have tried turning it off.
I can get the comment form to show in the selected section/category/article.
When I hit the button to post the new comment I am redirected to my index page. Comment is not loaded/visible in front or back end.
Any Ideas?
the my site is www. sumter central .com without the spaces. I cannot give url to exact page as I have dissabled yvcomment at the current time.
Thanks, Todd

Nuzzina
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nuzzina » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:44 am

Hi! I have a problem with yvcomment... I use Joomla 1.5.6 version, so I can't install last version of yvcomment for the moment, and I need to put comments also in home page, how I can do that?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment - problem with last version

Post by yvolk » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:40 am

Nuzzina wrote:Hi! I have a problem with yvcomment... I use Joomla 1.5.6 version, so I can't install last version of yvcomment for the moment, and I need to put comments also in home page, how I can do that?
If you feel that last version of yvComment is incompatible with your (older) version of Joomla!, you may try to install older version of yvComment (e.g. 1.18.4 ...)

TMorgan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by TMorgan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:08 pm

Hello again,
Thank you for the quick response.
Preview button does not show preview just goes back to index.
I have enabled yvComment on the folloing test article: http://www.sumtercentral.com/index.php/ ... /odd-stuff
Legacy turned off.
Joomla 1.5.7

Thanks for the help Todd

bulldogric
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bulldogric » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:21 am

I am hardly a Joomla expert, so I lack a lot of the technical knowledge that many in this forum are discussing.

However, I was using yvcomment, and it was working fine. All good.

Then a few days ago, it just stopped showing up. I didn't make any changes to the component, module or plugin. It did happen after I updated my version of Joomla, but that was two weeks ago, and it has worked since.

I thought it would be good to upgrade to the latest version of yvcomment, so I did that. But still, no go. No error messages, no problems installing, just no comments. The old comments are still available, and if you open an article with a comment, it shows up.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks for your help.

rpgamer2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rpgamer2003 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:58 am

Hi,
first of all let me say I'm really thrilled at having found such a terific plugin, it really works great. There's just a minor problem now. Whenever I link "ad your comment" or the number of comments from the frontpage to the article with the comments attached it doesn't quite work. Only some of the "ad your comment" lines turn into links and those that don't display "0 comments". Sometimes when I edit an article the link suddenly works. I really don't know where the problem is. The odd thing is that it works once I link it to the comments only.
Any ideas?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvComment's form redirects to the root

Post by yvolk » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:58 am

TMorgan wrote:Hello again,
Thank you for the quick response.
Preview button does not show preview just goes back to index.
I have enabled yvComment on the folloing test article: http://www.sumtercentral.com/index.php/ ... /odd-stuff
Legacy turned off.
Joomla 1.5.7
Thanks for the help Todd
It looks like there is some conflict with Joomla! decoding of data, post with form.
Because I tryied the the same "get" method, asif "preview" button was hit( see here) and it doesn't redirect to the root...
- Additional information may be got only inserting some debug lines to the code...

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:00 pm

bulldogric wrote:However, I was using yvcomment, and it was working fine. All good.

Then a few days ago, it just stopped showing up. I didn't make any changes to the component, module or plugin. It did happen after I updated my version of Joomla, but that was two weeks ago, and it has worked since.

I thought it would be good to upgrade to the latest version of yvcomment, so I did that. But still, no go. No error messages, no problems installing, just no comments. The old comments are still available, and if you open an article with a comment, it shows up.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks for your help.
The only thing I can think of is "Auto close comments" option is activated, so users can't add comments for old articles.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvComment - Only some of the "add your comment" lines work

Post by yvolk » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:07 pm

rpgamer2003 wrote:Hi,
first of all let me say I'm really thrilled at having found such a terific plugin, it really works great. There's just a minor problem now. Whenever I link "ad your comment" or the number of comments from the frontpage to the article with the comments attached it doesn't quite work. Only some of the "ad your comment" lines turn into links and those that don't display "0 comments". Sometimes when I edit an article the link suddenly works. I really don't know where the problem is. The odd thing is that it works once I link it to the comments only.
Any ideas?
Problem may be in the line 151 of components/com_yvcomment/views/comment/view.html.php:
---
$linkOn = $yvComment->ContentIDToURL($ArticleID);
---
May you test it, inserting after it:
---
echo 'linkOn=' . $linkOn . ';ArticleID=' . $ArticleID;
---
What do you see (give us url or attach screenshot)...

micke1101
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by micke1101 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:27 pm

Hi i was redirected here for when i add this i get a yellow box every where where it stands.
Yellow box wrote:Guest user account is not properly configured. Please set 'Username of Guest' option to the Username of registered user. guest_username="Superhero guest"

--
yvComment solution, version="1.19.1"
How can i fix that :-[ ? i must have tried everything except the correct solution

rpgamer2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rpgamer2003 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:57 pm

It didn't work. It now just displays the echo. Nothing else.
the site's on:
http://pspeon.bplaced.de/seite2/
login:test2
pass:test2
It's pretty messed up as of now, I'm still working on everything.
If you scroll down and go to page 4 for example you'll see that the links on that site work.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:39 pm

micke1101 wrote:Hi i was redirected here for when i add this i get a yellow box every where where it stands.
Yellow box wrote:Guest user account is not properly configured. Please set 'Username of Guest' option to the Username of registered user. guest_username="Superhero guest"

--
How can i fix that :-[ ? i must have tried everything except the correct solution
Try to do just like in documentation: 'guest'
-this is the same as guest's login (not his 'Name')!!!

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:47 pm

rpgamer2003 wrote:It didn't work. It now just displays the echo. Nothing else.
the site's on:
http://pspeon.bplaced.de/seite2/
login:test2
pass:test2
It's pretty messed up as of now, I'm still working on everything.
If you scroll down and go to page 4 for example you'll see that the links on that site work.
Now we may easily see, that e.g. the $yvComment->ContentIDToURL generates URL for Article #63 and older (on page 2) and can't do this for newer!!! articles ???
What's the difference between them? Look from the backend (section, category, access level, ...)
You may even add echoes inside that function (it's in components/com_yvcomment/helpers.php) to see, were thing go wrong... maybe you just need to update articles (some problem due Joomla! upgrade...)

micke1101
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by micke1101 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:00 pm

yvolk wrote:
micke1101 wrote:Hi i was redirected here for when i add this i get a yellow box every where where it stands.

--
I dont get it :-[
can you tell more step by step settings position (tex administration >> configuration >> system or how it is)
Thanks in advanced

rpgamer2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rpgamer2003 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:45 pm

thanks so much, I figured it out. I just hadn't noticed that the articles weren't published by default, I was so used to that that i completely missed it. thanks a lot.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:35 pm

See step-by-step instruction here, starting from "Preparing for configuration" section
micke1101 wrote:
yvolk wrote:

quote="Yellow box": Guest user account is not properly configured. Please set 'Username of Guest' option to the Username of registered user. guest_username="Superhero guest"

--
yvComment solution, version="1.19.1" /quote

I dont get it :-[
can you tell more step by step settings position (tex administration >> configuration >> system or how it is)
Thanks in advanced

micke1101
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by micke1101 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:54 pm

Solved had to create a new account

micke1101
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by micke1101 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:57 pm

Well when that was solved i thought everything was but....
Now when i try add a comment and is almost finished (only the word of the picture left) but theres no picture :eek:
and when i still asks
do i need to create something else to remove this?
The comment was not found.: ArticleID=0

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:13 pm

micke1101 wrote:Well when that was solved i thought everything was but....
Now when i try add a comment and is almost finished (only the word of the picture left) but theres no picture :eek:
and when i still asks
do i need to create something else to remove this?
The comment was not found.: ArticleID=0
Hi! You have 'issues' just because you want to :-) - So why are you asking questions?
Seriously:
- you have to install compatible Captcha plugin to see "Secret word"
- you have to create Section and Category specifically for comments. Message, that you cited, possibly means, that there is "general" article in the section, that was set as "Section for comments".
(Read more on the Homepage in the section 1.Installation of Joomla! and it's extension(s) and below...).

micke1101
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by micke1101 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:01 pm

Ive installed the captcha plugin but it still dosent show its activated and not many options

and since i guess you made yvsmiley as well i get this

Smiley set file="/home/a9951363/public_html/plugins/system/yvsmiley/phpbb/smileyset.csv"; instanceId=8666

but the number changes constantly why?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:33 pm

micke1101 wrote:Ive installed the captcha plugin but it still dosent show its activated and not many options
Try to search answers in the Captcha's forum... plus you may search this topic for possible problems...
micke1101 wrote: and since i guess you made yvsmiley as well i get this
Smiley set file="/home/a9951363/public_html/plugins/system/yvsmiley/phpbb/smileyset.csv"; instanceId=8666
It looks like you turned Debugging option ON.
Turn it off to get rid of this message.

micke1101
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by micke1101 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:36 pm

yvolk wrote:
micke1101 wrote:Ive installed the captcha plugin but it still dosent show its activated and not many options
Try to search answers in the Captcha's forum... plus you may search this topic for possible problems...
micke1101 wrote: and since i guess you made yvsmiley as well i get this
It looks like you turned Debugging option ON.
Turn it off to get rid of this message.
no im not here to find problems but im not used to joomla :-[ and debug mode was on no

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”