Is file en-GB.tpl_ja_purity.ini used? Where?

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
PhilOSparta
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Is file en-GB.tpl_ja_purity.ini used? Where?

Post by PhilOSparta » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:25 pm

The templateDetails.xml file shows the language file en-GB.tpl_ja_purity.ini which is supposed to be located in two separate places. I think it may be an artifact from the original template and it's not used any more.

It contains lots of interesting text variables that were probably used to explain the template demo.
Is it possibly used only on template installation?
If it's not used, we ought to get it out of the templateDetails.xml file.

PhilOSparta
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Is file en-GB.tpl_ja_purity.ini used? Where?

Post by PhilOSparta » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:51 pm

Well, there have been a number of changes to this template since first created. This is what I believe has happened.
This code is in the current ja_purity templateDetails.xml file:

Code: Select all

<languages>
		<language tag="en-GB">en-GB.tpl_ja_purity.ini</language>
	</languages>
	<administration>
    	<languages>
			<language tag="en-GB">admin/en-GB.tpl_ja_purity.ini</language>
		</languages>
    </administration>
The first file is located in the language/en-GB/ directory of the front end.
This file contains the translations for a number of items. e.g. site slogan, font sizing etc.

The second file is located in the language/en-GB/ of the back end.
This file provides the text for the pop up mouse rollover field descriptions while you are trying to figure out what the template settings are supposed to do.

I have removed the above lines from my templateDetails.xml file and everything still works. It appears that the Joomla core knows where to look for the en-GB.tpl_ja_purity.ini files based on the use of the ja_purity template. The other stock templates also provide similar files at the same locations even though they may not list the files in their templateDetails.xml file.

USER NOTE: If you are going to change the name of the ja_purity template to something else. e.g. my_ja_purity, and if you still want to have the rollover functionality plus the various slogan text fields etc., make a copy of each of the en-GB.tpl_ja_purity.ini files and rename them to en-GB.tpl_my_ja_purity.ini.

Phil
Last edited by PhilOSparta on Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bino87
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Bino87 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:31 pm

I don't know if the template will find the true language file after edited the templatedetails.xml as you say. However you should remember that this file is used to instal / unistall your template so if you delete those lines when you unistall your template the language files will not erase.

PhilOSparta
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by PhilOSparta » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:47 pm

Thanks. You make a good point. I assume that one would never install the template since it comes stock, but I didn't consider the uninstall.

In the normal operation of the system, the core finds the language files. I have created a number of sites now, and each one has its own xx_ja_purity template. If you don't throw in the en-GB.tpl.xx_ja_purity.ini file, you don't get the roll overs nor the other stuff. I only install the templates using a straight FTP to the destination locations.

Thanks again,

Phil

louru
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by louru » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:42 pm

where do you find en-GB.tpl_ja_purity.ini to change it? I've searched my directories but can't find this file. There is a second file that errors too but I'll have to reinstall the renamed template to get the error again.

Where are these two files in Joomla and how do you correct the issue?

PhilOSparta
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by PhilOSparta » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:05 pm

One is found at /language/en-GB/ and the other is at /administrator/language/en-GB/

Keep in mind that both have the same name, but they are both different in all other respects.
They both come stock with Joomla and work with the ja_purity template.

If you create your own "clone" of ja_purity e.g. xx_ja_purity, you place a copy of the two files to those two locations. Naturally, you call them en-GB.tpl_xx_ja_purity.ini and your templateDetails.xml file must list them.

Phil

louru
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by louru » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:35 pm

I've found the two files, copied and renamed them. I've also listed them in the <filename> part of the templateDetails.xml file.
I'm getting closer but I still get an error.
JInstaller::install: File 'C:\xampp\htdocs\joomla15\tmp\install_490b793920c96\dcc_ja_purity\language\en-GB\en-GB.tpl_dcc_ja_purity.ini' does not exist.

what is this tmp directory and do I have to go create the file there too?

On another note, how exactly do you uninstall a template. I go to the template folder and delete the folder for the template. am I supposed to be doing it some other way?

PhilOSparta
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by PhilOSparta » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:48 pm

I believe that when Joomla is installing a module or component or template or plugin that it does all its work in the tmp directory. i.e. loads it in, unzips it and reads from there etc.

Now, when you install or uninstall anything you go to Extensions -> Install/Uninstall
That provides you with a screen for selection:
Install is for installing everything! You browse for the object that you want to install, and the system will install it were it's supposed to go based on the .xml file that it finds in the object.
Selecting any of the other tabs: Components, Modules, Plugins, Languages or Templates is for Uninstall.
The typical install for a template has been to just FTP the template's directory up to the system and everything works. I believe with the J1.5.7 issue the core developers have added the "feature" that the core is looking in the /language/xxx directories for the extra files. Just uploading via FTP of the template's directory isn't going to take care of everything unless everything is contained in that directory. The best way to install a template would be to go through the Extensions -> Install/Uninstall interface using a viable .zip file for the install.
I have not seen a separate install ZIP file for ja_purity. Since ja_purity comes with the stock Joomla, I don't think that there will be a ZIP object, but I have created one (not for distribution) to get the experience and knowledge.

Phil

louru
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by louru » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:41 am

the error message I posted is from installing using the .zip method. I copied the ja_purity template, renamed it and modified it to dcc_ja_purity. Then I created a .zip folder from that modification. The error message comes when I try to install this template.
I actually had it install one time even though it gave me a couple of errors about the files not being found. I'll have to back track and see which modification broke it.
Or should I just be copying (ftp'ing) the folder to my template directory and be done with it?

louru
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by louru » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:17 am

I got the template to install but it gave me two errors using the .zip object:

* JInstaller::install: File 'C:\xampp\htdocs\joomla15\tmp\install_490bc903ea9ea\dcc_ja_purity\en-GB.tpl_dcc_ja_purity.ini' does not exist.
* JInstaller::install: File 'C:\xampp\htdocs\joomla15\tmp\install_490bc903ea9ea\dcc_ja_purity\admin\en-GB.tpl_dcc_ja_purity.ini' does not exist.

Install Template Success

What do you think? have you ever seen this behavior before?

I was getting errors earlier because I put the following in the file section and I think that is wrong:
<filename>/language/en-GB/en-GB.tpl_dcc_ja_purity.ini</filename>
<filename>/administrator/language/en-GB/en-GB.tpl_dcc_ja_purity.ini</filename>

now that I removed the above, the template installs but I get the JInstaller errors at the top of the post.

louru
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by louru » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:34 am

Got it! At least the zip object installed without errors!
I created those missing directories inside my template and put those files in the directories that said they were missing. I also opened the respective .ini files and change the ID from ja_purity to dcc_ja_purity. Then I zipped it up again and success, it installed without error.

Sometimes these computers seem to be telling me exactly what I'm doing wrong!

Thanks for your help.
let me know if you know of any gotcha's I'm missing.

PhilOSparta
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by PhilOSparta » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:45 am

Thanks for the feedback. I originally got my .zip to install, but I thought the acid test would be to uninstall it and reinstall it several times. ( not totally successful. ) All of this was several months ago, and you are bringing back memories. You may have determined the solution to my old problem. I have a new site that I'm working on, and I will try your procedures and feedback here. Up until now I have been going through the tedium of the FTP route.

Thanks again.

Phil

louru
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by louru » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:11 pm

a couple of Unix/Linux vs Windows filename fun:
the images emailbutton.png and printbutton.png (as listed in templateDetails.xml) are actually emailButton.png and printButton.png.

That knowledge can save you about 5 minutes of your life ;-) if you're testing on a windows laptop and uploading to a Linux server.

Thanks for your help!

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”