ADMIN LOGIN not working -Please help

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Difigaro
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

ADMIN LOGIN not working -Please help

Post by Difigaro » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:31 pm

Sorry if this was posted before...

Today I am not able to log into the admin panel. I double checked file I created when I installed with the administrator password and username, but its not working. Does anyone have any idea what you do in this case? The page just keeps refreshing...

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Last edited by Difigaro on Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Difigaro
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: ADMIN LOG not working

Post by Difigaro » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:50 pm

I followed the video tutorial with how to login using PHPmyADMIN to reset the admin password temporarily, but that is not working either...

Any ideas would be welcomed at this point

Difigaro
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: ADMIN LOGIN not working -Please help

Post by Difigaro » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:38 pm

I upgraded 1.5.2 to 1.3 as per recommended, but that did not solve the sessions issues with the admin panel/login page not accepting passwords. Instead it seems the admin panel just refreshings. I don't know much about Windows Sessions/Tokens with regard to Joomla!

I could use some help.

Should I try the previous versions of Joomla prior to 1.5?

I use Windows XP Pro
Firefox Browser (most recent version) with "No Scripts" and "Ad Block"

bhff
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bhff » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:42 am

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem, my front and backend user login sections accept logins and refresh the login page. The site is accepting the logins because if you enter an invalid username/ password it flags them as incorrect.

I have only been experiencing this problem for the last 48 hours prior to that my site worked fine. I was fairly sure it was a Windows problem initially but I have cleared everything and even tried logging in on an alternative machine and still its having none of it.

Also, just as an additional comment my site is doing the same to all users including admins.

Any help would be much appreciated as my host seems to be ignooring my requests for support. I am fairly sure its something server side because the problems started being reported to me whilst I was away from the office so its certainly not something I have installed/ not installed.

Thanks

Difigaro
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Difigaro » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:20 pm

This same thing is happening to ALOT of people.
The things we know, is that this is a recent issue... perhaps a Windows Update? Perhaps a Firefox update? Perhaps a hack?

In my opinion this is a major functionality issue if web developers can't get into the program's admin panel. It is my hope to draw attention to this issue so the devs at Joomla! can take a look at it.

Thank you.

Jimbo101
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Jimbo101 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:15 pm

I did a fresh install of Joomla today and the admin login failed ; with 'invalid session'
It looks like it's related to the 'Session Save Path" being UnWriteable - for me the default path is in my local profile\local settings\temp\php\session

I'm not sure if this is relevant to existing installations ; but I'm going to try to change my 'Save Path' and see if that gets me in as Admin.

:geek: Okay, that worked. After i modified my 'Session Save Path' in the php.ini file, restarted IIS, I was able to login as admin. Good luck to the rest of Yee!

Difigaro
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Difigaro » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:45 pm

Jimbo101 wrote:I did a fresh install of Joomla today and the admin login failed ; with 'invalid session'
It looks like it's related to the 'Session Save Path" being UnWriteable - for me the default path is in my local profile\local settings\temp\php\session

I'm not sure if this is relevant to existing installations ; but I'm going to try to change my 'Save Path' and see if that gets me in as Admin.

:geek: Okay, that worked. After i modified my 'Session Save Path' in the php.ini file, restarted IIS, I was able to login as admin. Good luck to the rest of Yee!
Did you install Joomla! 1.5+?

Would it be possible for you to describe what you did and where? I would like to try it, but I don't know where "session saved path" etc might be found.

Jimbo101
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Jimbo101 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:34 pm

Actually my problem was under the old version 1.0 - 'I'm a newbie to Joomla' and installed the old version by mistake. I am my own host using Windows and IIS, and I edited the php.ini file, if your using a webhost service you may not have access to that file. Or if your using 1.5 I don't think this would apply.

But I have since installed 1.5; which apparently does not have the same session parameters issue because it did not ask for them during the install. And I didn't have any issues with the Admin login.

dmarcink
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dmarcink » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:03 am

Hello Joomla forum,
I am also having this problem.....I tried everything short of reinstalling.....including resetting the password via MYPHPADMIN...I am afraid as others have mentioned reinstalling may not even work. I suspect it is a issue with version 1.5.3 of Joomla.....I am running another installation on a different server that is 1.5.1 and this problem has not occured. I also recently upgraded to 1.5.3 before this issue started.

I am also concerned that none of the "gurus" have jumped in on this problem. Not having access to the admin panel is a major problem in my opinion.

Any guidance anyone can offer would be greatly welcomed at this point. Also, I am running Joomla on a linux server....many of the posts address a Windows installation.

Best and we all look forward to responses.....

David

lukeciw
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by lukeciw » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:54 am

hi
i have just installed joomla 1.5 on my server and created an account and gone to admin to work on content, but nothing happens.

i have seen the same posts posted, but have not found any solutions.
i have windows vista o/s

please help. :'(

mikedeezy33
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mikedeezy33 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:20 am

I am having the same problems. This is a fresh install of joomla, it gave me some error when installing about cookies, and then nothing worked after installing. I have been manually editing the configure.php and I will use phpmyadmin to add the admin user, but this is def. a bug.

dmarcink
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dmarcink » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:51 am

I managed to solve my problem by restoring a backed up version of the configuration.php file.......

But I guess this will not help for a new installation....

Good luck! :-[ :-[

lscheiderer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by lscheiderer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi, I just did an install of joomla 15. I went to login as administator and it won't let me. I see that others are having the same problem. Thank you for a forum. Has there been any fix or news on how to correct the problem? I've tried all the fixes that were recommended before hitting on this being an ongoing problem. I don't want to do too much more before i totally screw up my database jos_users beyond recognition.

Thanks.

I got mine working the next day. I did a fresh install and paid very close attention to the passwords I was using. I'm thinking I didn't the first go round. The fresh install was quick and painless. Maybe others should try it. I also followed along with the installation video. Big help there.
Last edited by lscheiderer on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teckfm
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by teckfm » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:37 pm

I'm experiencing this exact issue, has anyone made any progress on this? As far as I'm concerned this software is useless without being able to login. According to the submitted times on each message, this issue has been around for nearly 2 months. That's 2 months of potential people using this software and being forced to either downgrade or use Wordpress, Drupal, etc, and who wants to do that? By the looks of it, these forums are built for users helping users, so hopefully a Joomla developer takes the time to awknowledge a huge flaw within the latest version.

eyebytes
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by eyebytes » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:49 pm

I have this issue also. I'm running Joomla 1.5.2 on Godaddy servers. It worked fine last week, and now it doesn't. This is the same issue on my PC running XP using Firefox and IE7, and also on my Mac running OS X 10.5 using Firefox and Safari.

rikarika
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rikarika » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:52 pm

Hey guys, I'm posting this here in case you're still having probs and didn't see the other thread:
rikarika wrote:EUREKA! This site helped me: http://www.joomlaspan.com/general/recov ... joomla.php

(Scroll down before doing anything, because if you're like me, mine was the second problem they described. Simple fix in the database).

Hope this helps!

marsender
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Solved with empty value for $live_site

Post by marsender » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:06 am

Solved for me.

The problem was comming from a wrong url (of my test server) for the $live_site variable in the configuration.php file (root of joomla install).

I've reset to empty and it works fine:
var $live_site = ''; // Optional, Full url to Joomla install.

sunnyday913
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sunnyday913 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:54 am

Thanks, Rikarika....this solved it for me, too! Thanks!!!! :)

kmama
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kmama » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:03 am

I followed these directions and got a "your session has expired" message so it did something (I had previously only got "username and password do not match"). I have twice gone thru phpmyadmin and changed the password, managed to log in once, and then I'm back to "username and password do not match". This is a fairly new install with no users so I could reinstall easily, but will it help?

marsender
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by marsender » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:23 am

Hi,
I've found another reason why on some sites I could only login with internet explorer and not with firefox.
It was of course a cookies problem. If you ever remove the cookies for one site in firefox, this site becomes and remains disabled for the cookies. You try to login, your login is valid so joomla doesn't complain, but when firefox want to display the administration panel, there is no session cookie so your login has vanished.
I think that joomla should tell the user when he tries to login and the cookies are disabled or not allowed.
Didier

kmama
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kmama » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:31 pm

I've tried every fix and suggestion in this and many other threads (this is a VERY common problem with 1.5) and figured out the following:

I AM LOGGING IN. Joomla says "username and password do not match" but after a period of time of trying various fixes, I'll get "your session has expired"

Same thing in IE7 or FF2

This was a Fantastico install, altho from what I've read it's happening with manual installs also.

I'm on 1.5.4 but I've seen posts with same probs on 1.5.2 and 1.5.3

I'm shocked that this has been such a widespread problem for several months and through at least two version updates without a fix.

I've considered a reinstall, but fear that I'll put work into the new install only to have this happen again.

gooeymac
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gooeymac » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:18 pm

I'd seen a suggestion on another board to go into the SQL DB via phpMyAdmin and change the password there, which I did, but it didn't work. But after a subsequent visit back to the jos_user db, I noticed that the default username was not my email address as I'd thought, but the user was 'admin'.

So I went back to login, using admin as the user and the password was the same as what I had been using. Logged in successfully. I think the problem is one of inference. Because the Install focuses on the email address for the admin and never mentions the default username (its already going to be 'admin'), we assume that the user name is the email address like it is for so many other websites.

Try logging in using 'admin' and see what that gets you.

kmama
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kmama » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:23 pm

After trying every suggestion I could find I gave up and did a fresh install. I've been able to log in successfully but now every time I log in, I see myself logged in twice in the cp. I give up. This version is way too buggy.

Bob Roberts
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Bob Roberts » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:07 am

Any news on this?
Host Admin

Bloor7
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Bloor7 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:23 pm

No... we can only hope some of the Joomla guru see this bug thats been going on for months now and fix it :(

habiby2u
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by habiby2u » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:27 pm

I have recently created a Joomla! site (1.5.7) and everything was working fine until yesterday. I tried to login as superadmin, and the page just keeps refreshing.
I've tried incorrect credentials and NO error messages were returned. (unlike what some other people got.)

I've read all the forums and tried all the tricks and DB hacks. It's simply not working. I can however solve one piece of the puzzle. I'm a systems test analyst, and through work i have access to test PC's each with different OS's. I have tried logging in using both Mac & Pc.

For the Macs i tried safari 1.5+ (older), safari 2.0+(Newer), safari 3.+(Latest).

Then for the Pc's i tried IE6, IE7, IE8 beta on Vista (sp1), XP(sp2) and XP(sp3).
I also tried cross platform browsers (IE for Mac) and (Safari for windows).

...and NOT one of these have been able to login. Therefore, putting to rest the Browser being the issue, the service packs being the issue, or some security patch being the issue. The Problem is clearly with JOOMLA! and NOT the OS's or Browsers.

In summary there is a serious problem if so many people have the same issue. Irrespective of PC/Mac IE/Safari/Chrome/etc. versions. The problem also seems to occur with the various Joomla versions. I've read in the forums, people have this exact issue from J1.0 to J1.5.7 (what i have). Something needs to be done about this... it's not very "stable" or dependable if critical issues are hanging around for 2+months without any action!

Not even Microsoft is this neglegent.

Jay44
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Jay44 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:42 pm

check your livesite variable (in cofiguration.php) is pointing to the correct domain or sub folder of a domain

??
"Things not being necessary is what makes life interesting" -- Stephen Fry
This is necessary - http://docs.joomla.org/

gigi
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by gigi » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:52 pm

hey guys. what solved the problem for me was playing around with var $lifetime in configuration.php

i've had problem with setting it too high before and the site started to malfunction, this gave me the idea to try changing it again.

cheers
gigi

Boidy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Boidy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:34 pm

Not sure if this is the same problem/solution but it might help someone out there.

I was getting the username and password do not match when trying to log in to the Admin panel but I found it would still let me if after trying once and getting the message, I then edited the url at the top to delete everything after the word 'administrator' . I guess the first attempt was correctly setting a session cookie on my PC, but something else was stopping the panl from appearing. By retrying to get to the panel, it checked and found a valid session on my pc and didn't check the password on the second attempt.

The problem started when when of the other admins on this site attempted to remove gallery2 bridge component, so I had a suspicion it was this that had caused the problem in the first place. Although the component had been removed, the uninstall didn't remove a plugin for the g2bridge. Once I had removed that, all went back to normal. This plugin was obviously trying to access the bridge component at login, possibly to synchronise the 'USERS' table in both databases, but as the g2bridge was gone, it couldn't and resulted in the error message.

Hope this info helps someone.

strax
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by strax » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:25 pm

This is the exact same problem I had and posted about earlier today. It makes me wonder if it's worthwhile spending hours and hours setting up a website only for it to become inaccessible at any minute.

Return to “Administration 1.5”