yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by yvolk » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:09 pm

micke1101 wrote:no im not here to find problems but im not used to joomla :-[ and debug mode was on no
I meant, you didn't follow (very detailed) instructions on the Homepage, so you had problems :)
What's about yvSmiley, please read messages in this Topic on yvSmiley and, if problem would remain provide more details about it, even screenshot... there. I'll be there also (but tomorrow ;) )

chivitli
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chivitli » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:13 pm

Hello everyone,

first I'd like to say thanks to Yuri for this component, I am hapily using it on my website.
There is one small thing I just realised today is missing - recording ip adresses of users who are posting comments. I consider it important, cause in case someone starts spaming, you can simply use his ip (or ip range) to blok him further access to the website.

Second thing is not very important, though it can be annoying - if an article has page breaks, and link 'comments' is set to 'article page with comments', link wont be accurate for any article with page breaks, cause it will lead to the first, instead to the last page of an article, where comments are when position of comments is set to 'inside article box'. That's why I was thinking to change comments link to lead to the 'comments of one article', but it was bad solution cause on that page there is no link to go back to the article itself.

Is it possible to improve these things somehow?

Raiien
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Raiien » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:32 pm

Hello,

Thank you, Yuri, for this wonderful module. Very simple to use and configure.

Regarding the Module,
I'm wondering if it is possible to limit the amount of words a comment shows, or to add the title of the article it came from, as well as to add the author's name. For example;
this is a test comment on (Article 1) [by XYZ]
this is a test comment... on (Article 2) [by EFG]
Where the dots ("...") indicate that the original comment is longer, and one should click on it to view the whole comment (and article).

I am very bad in PHP - only a beginner, and would appreciate any help that is given. Thank you in advance!

Buph
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Buph » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:01 am

Hello,
With yvComment... can we quote a comment of other user and reply it?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:43 am

chivitli wrote:There is one small thing I just realised today is missing - recording ip adresses of users who are posting comments. I consider it important, cause in case someone starts spaming, you can simply use his ip (or ip range) to blok him further access to the website.
This requested was discussed once (2007-12-15):
yvolk wrote:
Devil wrote: ...and of every entry it would be great to store the IP Adress of the User to prevent Spam!
I'm sure this feature have to be site-wide (to log and audit all visits/content changes...) and not inside yvComment. By the way, comments may be edited not only by yvComment, but just like any other article... recently I've read something about such extensions in forum... This is about security of the whole site.
I didn't get any feed back on this yet :(
May you find&test extension/explore this subject?
chivitli wrote:if an article has page breaks, and link 'comments' is set to 'article page with comments', link wont be accurate for any article with page breaks, cause it will lead to the first, instead to the last page of an article, where comments are when position of comments is set to 'inside article box'.
I didn't look into this yet... Maybe we need a link to the "last page" of the article?! May you help to find out, how to do this (example of Joomla! code...)

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:47 am

Buph wrote:Hello,
With yvComment... can we quote a comment of other user and reply it?
There is no 'Quote button' yet in template... but you may add 'quote' BBCode and copy/paste text to quote manually (if you use yvBBCode to display BBCodes...)

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:49 am

Raiien wrote:Regarding the Module,
I'm wondering if it is possible to limit the amount of words a comment shows, or to add the title of the article it came from, as well as to add the author's name.
Please search this topic - both questions were discussed about a month ago... in both cases you will have to create your custom template for yvComment...

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:54 am

cnotethegr8 wrote:i have a video section in a catagory table. everythings looking good as i go into one of the articles and comment on one of the videos. but than as i go back to the table i see that my comment has been not only added to the article but also to the table showing all the links to my videos... how can i stop this??
I may guess, that you need to create Section and Category exclusively for comments (read Homepage for instructions!). Now, it seems to me, you reuse Category of your "videos"

googles
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by googles » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:46 pm

Greetings!

Thanks for the great extension!

I'm having the same problem someone else had, and I couldn't understand if there was an answer. This person wrote:

"When I hit the button to post the new comment I am redirected to my index page. Comment is not loaded/visible in front or back end.
Any Ideas?"

My problem is the same. The article shows the comment section just fine, with fields for Your Name, Subject, Comment, and has the verification (captcha, animated image is showing OK).

But when I hit the Preview button, nothing happens other than directing me back to domain index page. When I hit the Post button, the same thing happens (redirect to host index). In both cases, there are no articles published or unpublished anywhere.

I'm not logged in as a user (I just wanted comments from unregistered visitors). I also have it set to not post immediately. I'm using the suggested section/categories for the setup.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

googles
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by googles » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:51 pm

googles wrote:Greetings!

Thanks for the great extension!

I'm having the same problem someone else had, and I couldn't understand if there was an answer. This person wrote:

"When I hit the button to post the new comment I am redirected to my index page. Comment is not loaded/visible in front or back end.
Any Ideas?"

My problem is the same. The article shows the comment section just fine, with fields for Your Name, Subject, Comment, and has the verification (captcha, animated image is showing OK).

But when I hit the Preview button, nothing happens other than directing me back to domain index page. When I hit the Post button, the same thing happens (redirect to host index). In both cases, there are no articles published or unpublished anywhere.

I'm not logged in as a user (I just wanted comments from unregistered visitors). I also have it set to not post immediately. I'm using the suggested section/categories for the setup.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment - I'm redirected to my index page

Post by yvolk » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:31 pm

googles wrote:I'm having the same problem someone else had, and I couldn't understand if there was an answer. This person wrote:

Any Ideas?"
I don't know solution for this problem, because I don't know, how to reproduce it on my test machine... :'(
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

geo3d
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by geo3d » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:56 am

Hi,

Firstly, I love the plugin - thank you very much.

My problem: I have the plugin installed on 2 different machines.
1) windows xp - php/mysql v 5- joomla 1.5.7 with bigocaptcha: works fine
2) 2nd machine is ubuntu 7.10 - php/mysql v 5 - joomla 1.5.7 with bigocaptcha; captcha image is not displaying.

Module, component, plugin on both machines are configured the exact same way.

If anyone can provide some insight to this would be greatly appreciated. Im sure I'm just overlooking something on my ubuntu box mundane - so let me apology in advance!

Thanks folks.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:39 pm

geo3d wrote:My problem: I have the plugin installed on 2 different machines.
1) windows xp - php/mysql v 5- joomla 1.5.7 with bigocaptcha: works fine
2) 2nd machine is ubuntu 7.10 - php/mysql v 5 - joomla 1.5.7 with bigocaptcha; captcha image is not displaying.

Module, component, plugin on both machines are configured the exact same way.
This is definitely BigoCaptcha-related problem, please see recommendations and post questions to BigoCaptcha forum.
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

damendaman
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by damendaman » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:40 pm

I am getting some errors after the installation.

When trying to add a new section I get this message when I hit save:

Code: Select all

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/damen/public_html/wagner/administrator/components/com_cpanel/admin.cpanel.php on line 17
Now if I go comment out the code on line 17 which is:

require_once( JApplicationHelper::getPath( 'admin_html' ) );
but then I get more problems later trying to edit my plugins so I have to comment out more of that file and once I do that I cannot see my items on my cPanel.

So is there a possible solution for this?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:47 am

damendaman wrote:I am getting some errors after the installation.
When trying to add a new section I get this message when I hit save: ...
As I see, this errors are related to Joomla! core, and so you have to search for solution somewhere in "Joomla! 1.5 - Ask Support Questions Here".
You may even unistall yvComment and other extensions first to be sure, that they don't cause this error...

rpgamer2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rpgamer2003 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:46 pm

Hi,
this is probably easy but I'm in the list of comments default view and I want to change the date format (the date for each comment) . (I think it requests the standard date format). So is there a way to change the format to LC4 or do I need to change the standard date format? And if I do where do I do that?
thanx
great plugin of course:) wouldn't wanna miss it

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:15 pm

rpgamer2003 wrote:Hi,
this is probably easy but I'm in the list of comments default view and I want to change the date format (the date for each comment) . (I think it requests the standard date format). So is there a way to change the format to LC4 or do I need to change the standard date format? And if I do where do I do that?
You have to change this line in the 'components/com_yvcomment/views/listofcomments/tmpl/default.php' file:

<?php echo JHTML::Date($item->created, $this->params->get('date_format')); ?>
to something like

<?php echo JHTML::Date($item->created, 'DATE_FORMAT_LC4'); ?>
or create 'template override' (copy of this file) as
'templates/mytemplatename/html/com_yvcomment/listofcomments/default.php' and change that file ('custom template').

rpgamer2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rpgamer2003 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:15 pm

Wow, thanx so much. There's another thing I just noticed though. If you have threaded comments activated and reply to a comment it doesn't get counted on the frontpage. Any solutions?
thanx

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Request of article database for Joomla! scalability research

Post by yvolk » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:42 am

rpgamer2003 wrote:There's another thing I just noticed though. If you have threaded comments activated and reply to a comment it doesn't get counted on the frontpage. Any solutions?
thanx
Some day, rpgamer2003, some day ;) ...
I thought about this: calculating number of all "descendants" of the article on the fly is time-consuming (especially, when number of articles and comments grows), and this is why it was not implemented yet.

I'm planning some scalability tests of Joomla! and yvComment in order to see, which way to do things would work for large sites, but I didn't figured out yet, where to find large enough message (or articles plus comments...) database (I'm thinking about at least million of articles+comments). My first thought was to use messages of Joomla! forums as a source data for such research, because real-life data is always much better, than "generated content" but it turned out, that Joomla! team forbids this...
So, if anyone may help me to legally receive structured data (suitable for import into database...) for such research, please let me know!

rpgamer2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rpgamer2003 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:21 am

well, thanks anyway. Great plugin and even better support.

rpgamer2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rpgamer2003 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:50 am

Oh I got one more question. When I implement the "latest comments" plugin it works as advertised. But once I go into an article different comments show up. And if I go into yet another article another set of comments shows up. Any solution?
---
Never mind I'm an idiot, I accidentally changed the filter and hadn't noticed.

cryptochid
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cryptochid » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:26 pm

Reind wrote:
Oh and another thing, why is it necessary to show an yvcomment link on every article even when the comment option is disabled? I setted up an test site to run some tests and i noticed this strange behavior. On every page the following code is added to the source,

Code:
<div class='yvComment' id='yvComment'>
<div class='PoweredBy'><a href="http://yurivolkov.com/Joomla/yvComment/index_en.html" target="_blank">yvComment v.1.19.0</a></div></div>

I agree this is not good and should be fixed.
Do you use any custom template on this site? If yes, try to start without them.
Anyway, I can't help you until I can reproduce the problem. How can I see the problem, starting from fresh Joomla! install?
BTW, there is NO 'PoweredBy' on your frontpage :)
Reind wrote:
That's also a minor issue when upgrading to 1.19, even when the comment system is disabled it still add's stuff to your page that shouldn't belong there.

You mean even if yvComment plugin is disabled?
Reind wrote:
In my opinion the developers should take 1.19 back to the drawing board and rethink there thoughts about templating and new functionality and how it should be added to the component.
Be sure: I'm constantly "rethinking". This is why you have to redo your custom templates, if you upgrade to v.1.19 :)
Moreover, I did some things without much confidence, that my decisions are the best, but I need to have feedback from users, who tries different configurations. As you may see, this project doesn't have any permanent group of testers: people solve their problems and disappear...

Hello there, you wrote you found the bug and fixed it, but you didn't provide any instructions of how to do that. I'm using joomla 1.5.7 and yvcomment 1.19, and all the pages include a little link named: yvComment v.1.19.0
I wonder how could I remove it, especially in the pages, where commenting has been turned off. Thanks in advance.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:55 pm

cryptochid wrote:Hello there, you wrote you found the bug and fixed it, but you didn't provide any instructions of how to do that. I'm using joomla 1.5.7 and yvcomment 1.19, and all the pages include a little link named: yvComment v.1.19.0
I wonder how could I remove it, especially in the pages, where commenting has been turned off.
Install latest version: 1.19.1

mic
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mic » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:31 am

Normally it should be up to the developer if he wants an visible links in his extension on the frontpage.
If he wants that and it is stated and agreed within the usage license (this is independed from the general license).
And if the author do not want to remove this link, you are violating this rule/agreement.

A usual way to avoid this is to pay a small amount or donation.

But in this case it is a bug when commenting is off.
http://www.joomx.com - custom extensions and development
http://www.joomlasupportdesk.com - support, migration, training and consulting
Member of the German Joomla Translation Team

Lambas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Lambas » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:51 pm

Hello my friends!!!
Please is it easy to change the size of the comment submit form???
I need to make it a bit smaller and put it in the middle!
:eek:
is there any easy way to do it?

Thank you very very much!!

transparencia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by transparencia » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:34 pm

Hello! I like your extension, thank you very much for it.

rpgamer2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rpgamer2003 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:16 am

Hey, I got another problem. The frontpage ad comment link only links to articles that have been assigned to sections and categories. For the unassigned ones it only displays "comments 0".

I put in the "echo 'linkOn=' . $linkOn . ';ArticleID=' . $ArticleID;" at line 151 in the comments view.html.php and for the unassigned one it says:linkOn=;ArticleID=177

UPDATE: Well, it's a little more complicated as it turns out. Unassigned articles echo with linkOn=;ArticleID=### and assigned ones echo with e.g. linkOn=/seite2/index.php/component/content/article/53-zur-methodik/214-wenwenwnrw.html;ArticleID=214 .
Now if I add an unassigned article the link doesn't display properly but once I add an assigned article all the links for the previiously submitted articles suddenly work (assigned or not). It'd be great if you could have a look:
http://pspeon.bplaced.de/seite2/
login: guest2
pass: guest2

thanks

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:57 pm

rpgamer2003 wrote:It'd be great if you could have a look...
I don't see 'yvComment v.X.XX' :-(
Maybe this is a problem (I mean, version...)

rpgamer2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rpgamer2003 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:21 pm

Oh don't worry about that, it'll be back, I really appreciate the work you put into this and your ardent support, I took it out for layout reasons to get a clear view and will put it back in later (probably adapted to the layout but obviously still visible and all). I don't want to come off as ungrateful.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:57 am

rpgamer2003 wrote:Oh don't worry about that, it'll be back, I really appreciate the work you put into this and your ardent support, I took it out for layout reasons to get a clear view and will put it back in later (probably adapted to the layout but obviously still visible and all). I don't want to come off as ungrateful.
Thank you. In your case I think, that your problem is fixed in v.1.19.2 ?!

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”