How to backup and restore Joomla 1.5?

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
BlueMonkey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How to backup and restore Joomla 1.5?

Post by BlueMonkey » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:12 pm

Hi there,

Whats is the best way to backup and restore Joomla 1.5? I do not want to be testing extensions and making major changes until tested on my site in a test envoirment. So I want to backup my current live website and restore it on my local machine but I have a few questions:

When I backup my site an restore it will it keep my etensions?
I have Expose installed so will a backup and restore operation keep my photos and videos?
Will my templates and modifications be kept?
Also have the fireboard forum installed will this be a problem?

Thanks in advane.

Regards Bernard.

Shikarnov
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: How to backup and restore Joomla 1.5?

Post by Shikarnov » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:54 pm

What I've done in the past is backup the database using phpMyAdmin.

For files -- usually I keep a copy of my clients' sites on my development machine, so there's not much for me to worry about downloading from the web server on a regular basis; generally this is just some pictures the clients' may have uploaded. If you're worried that your local files don't match what's on the server, I'd just fire up my FTP client and download a copy of everything.

Of course, my clients are all on shared hosting. If you've got a dedicated server, there may be more/better options available to you.

Zhenya

BlueMonkey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BlueMonkey » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:57 pm

Thnaks for the reply Shikarnov I'll give that ago.

Cheers

tysonbravo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tysonbravo » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:24 pm

So how do you get the site back up and running without using an archiver tool like Joomlapack or XCloner? Is it even possible? Sorry, I'm a newbie.

Once I FTP the files down and then back up to another server, what do I do to get the site back up and running? Assuming I've already created a blank database of course...

Thanks,
TS

PtrNrs
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by PtrNrs » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:30 pm

Why avoid JoomlaPack (I don't know XCloner)? It's free (if you want it to be) and quite brilliant.

I had problems with file permissions (eg I found I couldn't upzip the Joomla code zip file to my site) which JoomlaPack seems to overcome very slickly.

So JoomlaPack (or equivalent) is my answer - what's the downside?
Pete Nurse, Jix Software
http://www.jix.com.au
Jix: The Joomla Import Export & Update Utility

basw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by basw » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:38 pm

As well as copying the Joomla files by FTP from the server, you only need to copy the database tables.

Using phpmyadmin Export the database tables from the server, save it as a file on your local machine.

Make sure you have a database on the new machine, and make sure it is empty.

Using phpmyadmin, Import the database tables.

regards

Stephen

Marku_z
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Marku_z » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:42 pm

thx =)

tysonbravo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tysonbravo » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:08 pm

Pete,

My problem with JoomlaPack is that it simply doesn't work. I've followed the instructions very carefully and used it exactly as described. I've tried it with Kickstart and without. I've tried changing settings, using JoomlaPack Installer 2 & 3, and even moving the site to different locations to see if that was the problem. I've never gotten it to complete the restoration. The farthest I've got is to restore the database, but then it just stays on that page. It doesn't allow me to go to the "Configuration" page. So, I would delete the installation folder, then try to just change the db settings in the configuration.php file manually via FTP. That still didn't work. Says it can't connect to MySQL db.

I have no idea why I seem to have so many problems with products like these but everybody else loves them. I'm guessing user error.... :-[

XCloner is by a company called Joomlaplug. I just installed it and it doesn't work either. So...I've decided not to rely on products like these anymore.

Stephen,

I understand how to export and import databases. What I'm wondering is how to get the entire site back up and running again. I'm assuming that I would do the following.

1.) Install Joomla! 1.5 stable on the new server
2.) Install the Template I was using from JoomlaShine
3.) Create a blank database
4.) Import the old database from the previous server.

Is that right? That should get my site up and running again on a different server I would imagine.... ???

PtrNrs
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by PtrNrs » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:00 am

I just must be lucky! JoomlaPack worked first time perfectly.

There's a great manual - have you had a look at that?
Pete Nurse, Jix Software

jayjoomluh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jayjoomluh » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:04 am

BOTH JOOMLAPACK (and XCLONER formerly joomlacloner) ARE COMPLETE GARBAGE , it is a insult to the brains of the extension editors for even bothering to pick it as an editors pick, guess if i made something for joomla that continously broke, crashed, and never completed i would get editors pick too,

to all you people who think your "Safe" wait until you have to restore one of your "treasured" backups

FYI: for six months i have been dealing with these people, they all have excuses but the truth is their code is lousy, support is meager, and we all take a chance by relying on them, but hey its your site!

:pop
Whats Wrong With It? All I Did Was Change That One Line Of Code!

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:08 am

Lucky moving and backing you a Joomla site is so easy then.. if JoomlaPack etc don't work for you, there is nothing to get upset about.

PS jayjoomluh off topic posts like the one above are not going to make you any happier, or help peoples attitude to you around these parts.

jayjoomluh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jayjoomluh » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:12 am

then if thats the case lets see some things that ACTUALLY WORK ,jeez this forum is ONE of the MANY things screwed up, people dont even bother to answer unless its a mod sticking thier nose in lol

tysonbravo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tysonbravo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:36 am

jayjoomluh,

I actually appreciate your honesty. Quite frankly, I think a lot of people on these forums are afraid to say how they really feel about Joomla b/c they either work for or benefit from the sales of these 3rd party tools. I wish more people like you would voice their opinion, b/c then people like me would know to steer clear of Joomla. Seriously, it is the most buggy thing I've ever worked with. Not really Joomla itself, but the plug-ins, components and modules (which is really the only reason your'e using it in the first place...)

After working with it for about 3 months now, I've decided that I'm done with Joomla. It's a great idea, but it just hasn't been around long enough and these tools only work 50% of the time. The time you save by using a pre-programmed software like Joomla is lost by the time you spend fixing the bugs in these tools.

And since nobody has answered my question here anyway, I guess I have no choice but to move back to static HTML/CSS. Well, I wish you all the best with Joomla. Hopefully, you'll have more success than I had with it.

basw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by basw » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:38 am

Just in case you change your mind, your question was

How to backup and restore to a different server?

Optionally, I would first create a new empty Joomla installation on the new server purely to test the SQL and PHP setup. You could then delete all of this.

Then, in broad terms:

1. FTP all the files from old server
2. Export the Database tables from the old server
3. Edit the configuration.php file to suit the new server.
4. FTP all the files to the new server
5. Import the Database tables to the new server.

Have I missed anything?

Stephen

tysonbravo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tysonbravo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:51 pm

Ya, I FINALLY got it to work for me last night. I was just about to give up for good, then it just started working. I haven't been able to get Joomlapack or Xcloner to work, but at least I'm getting better at doing a manual backup.

Thanks for responding!

jayjoomluh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jayjoomluh » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:06 pm

For the record

I tried this last night as a test

Here’s what I did, it is my hope that others find this and can try it as well, without using over bloated complicated (costly) solutions

Step 1.

UPLOAD ALL OF YOUR /sitefolder directory, do NOT ZIP THIS UP

Step 2. Place it IN a folder on your host (preferably with the same name, but not completely necessary)

Step 3. Once you confirm all files are uploaded watch this handy video on google, it helped me out a lot

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... +1.5&hl=en

Step 4.

Create a NEW BLANK sql database on your host; make sure you assign a username with permissions to this database, before proceeding

Step 5.

Take your mysql dump (the file created, or also you may open that file and PASTE the contents DIRECTLY into the "mysql" tab in your phpmyadmin on your HOST (not local) once you execute the import you’ll get the "query successful records added or something, could be different depending on your install)

Step 6. This part was tricky, we all want to immediately go to the homepage but DONT, that’s a mistake, and you need to do a few more things,

First open up the configuration.php from your local site, and then download the configuration.php from your newly uploaded site, make sure the following is correct.

(NOTE: this is why most db transfers fail to connect, and we all hate that)

var $user = 'THIS MUST BE THE USERNAME YOU MADE FOR THE NEW SQL NOT THE LOCAL ONE';

var $password = 'NEW PASSWORD NOT LOCAL ONE';

var $db = 'FULL MYSQL NAME FOR YOUR HOSTED DB, SOMETIMES HOSTS ADD SOMETHING SO CHECK THIS CAREFULLY';

var $log_path = 'COMPLETE SERVER PATH TO THIS FOLDER/logs';
var $tmp_path = 'COMPLETE SERVER PATH TO THIS FOLDER/tmp';

REUPLOAD the configuration.php after you save it to your folder where your files reside.

CROSS FINGERS

Enter your sitename/folder and hopefully you’ll be all set

END

(Please Note: I was totally shocked when this all worked, after all the fussing I had to do with those "awesome components, paid or unpaid," I will admit it is some work, but it has always been true if we do it ourselves it gets done right RIGHT, if it fails I tried to help, im not a coder, it worked for me, will it work for you I don’t know, one thing I do know, if it does not work I will remain subscribed to this topic and help EVERYONE who requests it for as long as I can, I for one don’t think a forum should be a place filled with "0" reply posts, this is open source, and collaboration is the heart of that, lets work together, a reminder to all of us, lets help those who were new, remember when we were new, we didn’t even know what template_css.css was, lol

Long nights later we know a lot, its TIME TO START SHARING IT

Ive said my piece, good luck on your backups and restores, btw if you continue to change your local site, updating after that is probably a lot easier, you just have to reupload the db over that one once your set, feel free to explore all components/modules and if they work go for it, if not come here try what I did, lets see if we can find out what works best, one things for sure, this procedure will not be "revised" or "bug fixed" since we are the ones doing it right?

Jayjoomluh

tysonbravo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tysonbravo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:54 pm

Jay,

Thank you brotha! You are absolutely right. This is the way to do it imo.

It's a can't fail procedure.(you just have to be VERY careful that you are entering the right db names, FTP settings, etc.. in the configuration.php file.) That video you posted is the same one I found the other night when I finally got my site working. I should've posted it. Now that I'm learning more, I will make sure to post the solutions I find.

Happy Coding! :pop

PtrNrs
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by PtrNrs » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:15 pm

What a great thread! Jayjoomluh & tysonbravo became true believers before our very eyes! Well happier anyway.
Pete Nurse, Jix Software

tysonbravo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tysonbravo » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:08 am

:( Well gang....looks like I spoke to soon.

Anyone know what this means?

Code: Select all

* JFTP::login: Unable to login
        * JFTP::write: Unable to use passive mode

* An Error has occurred! Unable to open configuration.php file to write!

I finally figured out how to get my site up and running on my client's server but now when I try to turn on SEF, I get this error msg. How could that be possible? Obviously my FTP and DB settings are right. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to get the site up and running....right?? :-[

What's weird is I try to change the FTP password inside Joomla Global Configuration and it doesn't appear to change. There's not enough little dots (i.e., letters). So, I type CHMOD'd the configuration.php file to 777, then went back to Global Config and typed the appropriate FTP password. It says it Global Config saved successfully in blue. But I just can't change SEF.........?????????????????????????????????/

Also, could anyone recommend a really good Antidepressant or animal tranquilizer? :'(

jayjoomluh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jayjoomluh » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:43 am

tyson

lol

that sef may not be related to your site being moved, however i remember something when we started using SEO (way back when i was a joomla fledgling) about hosing files if certain things were not done/or undone

oh btw (the reason your config is not changing is because somehow the servers OS is locking it for read only, you can open it but changes wont work, check perms on it

ok people now is the time to get to the "sharing" part, someone out there must know about these errors?

as for the tranks lol, hmmm

not sure, but i got so fed up with joomla today i stepped away, im going to jump on it again now, maybe with some fresh ideas, thanks to a certain special friend of mine ;)

davetanguay
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by davetanguay » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:52 am

basw wrote:
1. FTP all the files from old server
2. Export the Database tables from the old server
3. Edit the configuration.php file to suit the new server.
4. FTP all the files to the new server
5. Import the Database tables to the new server.
Stephen's got it right. This is how I move Joomla sites and haven't had any problems. I tried JoomlaPack and got it to work after a few roadblocks. It wasn't as easy as following the above instructions.

If you are still getting errors after the move check your folder permissions.
CPanel Web Hosting Services http://interactiveonline.com/shared-web-hosting
Follow us on Twitter @interactiveo

davetanguay
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by davetanguay » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:55 am

As for the following errors:

Code: Select all

* JFTP::login: Unable to login
        * JFTP::write: Unable to use passive mode

* An Error has occurred! Unable to open configuration.php file to write!
Turn off FTP layer within Joomla config completely. You don't need it turned on. From my experience it has just caused problems for me.

If that still doesn't work can you please be a little bit more specific when you are receiving the error? Is it an error when you try to login to the Joomla back-end, front end or are you trying something else when the error is returned?

tysonbravo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tysonbravo » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:10 am

Thanks for the tips Dave.

Re your first post. That is what I did. Although, I used XCloner's archive. I was able to FTP it over to my restore site with their tool. Unfortunately, XCloner was not able to do anything else. So, I extracted the backup on the site, imported the new database, then reconfigured the configuraton.php file. Then I went to www.peakperformancesolutions.com/index.php and VOILA! My site was up. I was quite proud, until I discovered that the same problem is happening. You can go check it out. Any submenu item you click is all weird looking now that SEF is turned on.

I did what you said and just turned off the FTP layer. I was then able to turn on SEF but it just screwed up my whole site.

What's so weird is I did this EXACT same procedure to two other sites before doing it to www.peakperformancesolutions.com and it worked just fine on both of them. No problems at all. And one of those is also at LunarPages, where my client's site (www.peakperformancesolutions.com) is.... :-[

God I hate feeling like such a noob

jayjoomluh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jayjoomluh » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:11 am

this is awesome

NOW THIS is REAL OPEN SOURCE COLLABORATION!

tysonbravo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tysonbravo » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:20 am

hahaaaa, amen to that....

I have to admit, at times, I'm actually having fun.... but don't let that get out. It would totally ruin my street cred. :geek:

jayjoomluh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jayjoomluh » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:00 am

tyson give us a link and we wont tell anyone about your secret, lol

one of our joomla sites is at

http://www.zteknologies.com

but its stripped down as its just a gateway

davetanguay
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by davetanguay » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:01 am

Do you have a valid .htaccess file created in your Joomla root when you turn on SEF? You also want to make sure "Use Apache mod_rewrite" is turned on within your Joomla config.

I personally don't use the default SEF that comes with Joomla. I use the paid version of Artio JoomSEF but I have also heard good things about sh404SEF at http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

I personally would use the paid version of Artio JoomSEF at http://www.artio.net/en/e-shop/joomsef/joomsef-3-1-0 and the .htaccess file that they suggest using since I tested all of the SEF extensions and this was the best one I found for my needs.

Or try using sh404SEF and the .htaccess file they suggest you use.

tysonbravo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tysonbravo » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:01 am

Hmmm....I haven't thought of that. Nice.

I will give it a shot using the paid SEF tools.

Should I be concerned though that my FTP layer doesn't work? I mean, if I leave it in that state would it mean problems for me down the road? Or can I just turn it off and forget about it?

aussies rule
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aussies rule » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:15 am

Joomla Pack worked for me perfectly fine.
had no issues with it.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:00 am

jayjoomluh wrote:then if thats the case lets see some things that ACTUALLY WORK ,jeez this forum is ONE of the MANY things screwed up, people dont even bother to answer unless its a mod sticking thier nose in lol
Get real and do not insult....next time you want help expect a reaction?

Next Joomlapack and cCloner work fine for Joomla 1.5 if your host provides the prerequisites If you host is outdated with defunct software it does not work

Leo
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

Return to “Installation 1.5”