Capital Letters?

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
triggadex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Capital Letters?

Post by triggadex » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:32 am

I cant use Capital Letters at all on my site and i dont know whats going on?

Any help? :pop

fcoulter
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Capital Letters?

Post by fcoulter » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:34 am

There is a css 'text-transform' styling property. It is possible that this has been set to 'lower-case' in the template css for your site.

If that is what is happening it is just a question of finding the appropriate style sheet and deleting that property (or set it to 'none'). It will probably be applied to the body tag.

Otherwise I don't know what could be causing it, I have never heard of this before. Could you include an URL to your site? - without that it is difficult to know what is going on.
http://www.spiralscripts.co.uk for Joomla! extensions
http://www.fionacoulter.com/blog my personal website
Security Forum moderator :: VEL team member
"Wearing my tin foil hat with pride"

mable1987
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mable1987 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:38 pm

I had the same problem with my frontpage article. After reading this, I remembered that I had changed the text to a heading 2 in my administrator panel. When I go back into my administrator panel and try to change it to paragraph, it won't change. The only way I can get rid of the all capital letters in my article is to go into layout/main...leadingh2/text-transform:none. But if I do that, it will affect all my h2s, won't it?

Also, how do I move my front page article to the left? I removed the Beez image but the text didn't move over.
www.eposcommunications.com
Thanks for your help.

fcoulter
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by fcoulter » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:24 pm

Looking at the souce for your article you seem to have a lot of extra formatting information embedded into the front page article. It looks like it came from a Word document.

I think that is what is causing all your problems, including not being able to change your heading to a paragraph.

I think that the best thing to do is to start again with your article. Save the Word document that it came from as a plain text file - that will ensure that you don't have any unwanted formatting. Then start a new article in the Joomla editor and copy and paste your text into the editor. Then you should be able to format it as you wish.

It is important to remember that all html pages should be plain text - anything that is created using a word processor is likely to have a lot of unwanted extra formatting information.

mable1987
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mable1987 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:19 pm

Yes, I have been using Word to format, saving as a .rtf file to format, then copying and pasting into Joomla admin. Today I noticed all that extra html you are talking about.

But actually, I couldn't get it to format like I wanted until I started doing that. I have heard that that extra coding is not a good thing for SEO. Is that true?

I will try what you suggest and see what happens. I'll keep you posted. :D Thanks!

yonder
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by yonder » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:57 am

Copy text into notepad and then into joomla and/or turn off the editor in joomla you will lose your formatting/styling but no extra coding will occur.

fcoulter
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by fcoulter » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:34 am

The problem is that the extra formatting is not valid html. It may make it difficult or impossible for a search engine to parse your pages properly Also, while the format may look right in the particular web browser that you are using it may not display properly in other web browsers. It is really not a good idea to have it there. With some experimenting with css styles you should be able to get the display you want using valid html only. I really suggest learning the basics of html and css, you should find that it takes a few hours of work to do so and it will really help you to set up your site as you want.

Saving as an rtf file is still not ideal as there may be some extra formatting. It really needs to be a plain text (txt) file. Either save in that format or copy and paste first into Notepad as the other person suggests

mable1987
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mable1987 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:44 pm

So, while I'm writing the article I can click on "html" and when that window opens I can then enter my html coding to format my article? I know some html and am learning css. Can you point me to which file I would modify to format the text in my articles? I will give it a try. Thanks.

yonder
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by yonder » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:50 pm

Well you can but it isnt the best way to format your writing globally edit your tempalte css. If you wish to edit a articles css individually. Then you can do this by using the standard joomla editor and click the icon that looks like two A's. This gives you some settings to change size, colour, decoration, font etc.

2ninerniner2
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by 2ninerniner2 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:06 pm

Bonjour,

I just found this yesterday and it has to be one of the best ways to create content ... and while offline! Joomla Remote is a Windows desktop application that basically installs you site on your computer where you can work on it while offline and then sync with one click! With the free version you don't get access to the Admin area but you can create/edit Sections, Categories, Menus and Articles. Better still, although this initial release lacks built-in spelling check, it strips out all non-formatting "junk" from a Word paste! This is one app to really keep an eye on.

Cheers!
Lyle
@snifflevalve

fcoulter
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by fcoulter » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:04 am

This does sound like a really good idea.

Looking at their site it seems that the software uses Windows .NET - I don't know if that means that you would need to have a Windows server for it to work, which would probably rule it out for the majority of Joomla users who I would guess use Linux, it is not clear from what they say. Still it is definitely a great idea, there is no doubt that editing a Joomla article to get it look how you want can be time-consuming.

In answer to the question about formatting the articles, I think that the best way to do this is to give them a common css style class, then add your formatting rules to this new style class in your template css - that will make it easier to ensure that when you create new articles they can have the same format without needing to spend ages editing them.

2ninerniner2
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by 2ninerniner2 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:10 pm

If I am entering a lot of text, I will use Word then copy & paste into Notepad to strip all the formatting. Then copy & paste from Notepad into the Joomla editor and use the template-defined css. Can be a bit tedious at times, but not nearly as much as getting a server time-out when trying to 'apply' or 'save' and losing everything! :)

And that is why I now use Joomla Remote. Just to clear up a misconception: this is NOT a local .NET server or anything like WAMP, etc. ... it is a standalone Windows desktop application ... the same as Word, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc. It totally mimics the Joomla environment and it is truly a ONE CLICK SYNC!
@snifflevalve

fcoulter
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by fcoulter » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:55 am

So can you do things like install new modules and templates with it, or is it just the default Joomla installation?

I am definitely going to give this a try.

2ninerniner2
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by 2ninerniner2 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:39 pm

The Pro version gives you the Administrator area so would imagine one might be able to. Not sure on that. But with the free version you can add/edit/re-arrange menu items, Sections and Categories,as well as Articles. You can create a new menu item by simply dragging the Article title from the list to the Menu "tree" list :)
@snifflevalve

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”