yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
webbuilder
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by webbuilder » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:28 am

Now i stuck again with the bbcode function ... i use WYSIWYG editor and i can not see any bbcode image i enabled the plugin yvbbcode and i have tested the parameters in the yvcomment plugin but i can not see an image neither the field word verification...
Any suggests??
Web Design - Internet Consultants
Web Builders

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:43 am

webbuilder wrote:Now i stuck again with the bbcode function ... i use WYSIWYG editor and i can not see any bbcode image i enabled the plugin yvbbcode and i have tested the parameters in the yvcomment plugin but i can not see an image neither the field word verification...
Any suggests??
You may use BBCodes (type them...), but yvBBCode is not integrated into (some) WYSIWYG editor. Just the same for Smileys.

webbuilder
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by webbuilder » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:06 am

how can i add a photo to blog ... i use wysiwyg editor and i login as admin .. i see the editor fine and i import an image but when i post it i see only the text and not the image ...
Any suggestions
Web Design - Internet Consultants
Web Builders

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:17 am

webbuilder wrote:how can i add a photo to blog ... i use wysiwyg editor and i login as admin .. i see the editor fine and i import an image but when i post it i see only the text and not the image ...
Any suggestions
As far as I know, Joomla! had (and maybe still has) problems with image uploading. This is not yvComment specific. Try to find any info about "How to insert image into the article".
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

Seblon
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

YvCom Post button pushed outline when used with Bigo Captcha

Post by Seblon » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:32 pm

Hi,

I'm using yvComment in conjunction with Bigo Captcha and it's working like a charm in Firefox, but in IE the captcha image forces the post button down under another joomla module... See image please:

You may also have a look here (push the button at the end of the article)

I have tried to edit the css file of yvcomment without any luck, so I could need a little pointer to what/where I change these parameters in the CSS? Or is this at all CSS related?

Thank you!

//Seblon
Mina bästa Joomlatips- och guider hittar jag på Nanjoo.com
En sajt om Joomla och Apple helt på svenska!

Buph
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Buph » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:08 am

Hello, first, thanks Yuri for your great work.

I've 2 questions:

First: Is possible when user is not logged in, and an article hasn't any comment, show "Comments (0) on frontpage???? How? I took a look to php files on com_yvcomment, but I don't know how to do it.

Second: Is possible locate the nickname above the title as it's shown in next screenshot???????:

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/925/capturati7.jpg

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:04 pm

Buph wrote:First: Is possible when user is not logged in, and an article hasn't any comment, show "Comments (0) on frontpage???? How? I took a look to php files on com_yvcomment, but I don't know how to do it.
To see any links ("Add your comment" or Comments(N)) you have to enable guests to add comments...
Buph wrote: Second: Is possible locate the nickname above the title as it's shown in next screenshot???????:
Yes, you have to create your custom template based on "components\com_yvcomment\views\listofcomments\tmpl\default.php" file and rearrange items in it as you wish (see "template override" on the Homepage...)

Good luck!

Seblon
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: YvCom Post button pushed outline when used with Bigo Captcha

Post by Seblon » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:04 pm

Bumping my question...
Seblon wrote:Hi,

I'm using yvComment in conjunction with Bigo Captcha and it's working like a charm in Firefox, but in IE the captcha image forces the post button down under another joomla module... See image please:

You may also have a look here (push the button at the end of the article)

I have tried to edit the css file of yvcomment without any luck, so I could need a little pointer to what/where I change these parameters in the CSS? Or is this at all CSS related?

Thank you!

//Seblon

kestrel6045
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kestrel6045 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Hello Yuri,
I am testing your yvcomment contribution for future use.
It's the best comment tool I have tested so far /// Thanks !!!
Just a quick question:
Is there any way to notify the article author by email, of any comment posted on his/her article?
I found the option "Usernames to notify", that's great, but I believe it would be good if the author of each article get notified on any comment
But I couldn't find it
Thanks in advance
Regards, Fausto

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:29 am

Seblon wrote:Bumping my question...
Hi,

I'm using yvComment in conjunction with Bigo Captcha and it's working like a charm in Firefox, but in IE the captcha image forces the post button down under another joomla module...
It looks like nobody here has the answer, why MSIE doesn't adjust height of the block...
This is too deep Browser quiestion, that needs sort of investigation... If you don't want such, you may simply don't use that 'delay loading Captcha image' option...

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:37 am

kestrel6045 wrote:Just a quick question:
Is there any way to notify the article author by email, of any comment posted on his/her article?
I found the option "Usernames to notify", that's great, but I believe it would be good if the author of each article get notified on any comment
But I couldn't find it
Thanks in advance
Regards, Fausto
Hi, Fausto!
I didn't implement any kind of "Subscription to the comments", because I think this function belongs to some other extension ("Custom User profile"...)
Recently I took a look at Community builder for Joomla! 1.5 (CB 1.2 RC4 for today) and I think, that we need some sort of "Community builder extension" to subscribe to comments...
I didn't have time yet for this. Anyone?

Seblon
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Seblon » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:39 am

yvolk wrote: It looks like nobody here has the answer, why MSIE doesn't adjust height of the block...
This is too deep Browser quiestion, that needs sort of investigation... If you don't want such, you may simply don't use that 'delay loading Captcha image' option...
Ok... I'll keep on trying to find an answer elsewhere because I really like this extension!! Sorry to bother you.

//Seblon

kestrel6045
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kestrel6045 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:38 pm

yvolk wrote:
But I couldn't find it
Thanks in advance
Regards, Fausto
Hi, Fausto!
I didn't implement any kind of "Subscription to the comments", because I think this function belongs to some other extension ("Custom User profile"...)
Recently I took a look at Community builder for Joomla! 1.5 (CB 1.2 RC4 for today) and I think, that we need some sort of "Community builder extension" to subscribe to comments...
Thanks for your reply.
For my purpose, I'd need the author always get notified.
I could get this done with two minor changes on file "components/com_yvcomment/models/comment.php"
1. Comment the two lines below
// Don't notify anybody, if user has all rights...
2. Add this line after $Article = $this->getArticle();)
$Recipients[] =& JUser::getInstance($Article->created_by);

Is that Ok with you?

BTW, your code is like a text book ... thanks a LOT !!
Fausto

asutkev
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by asutkev » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:24 pm

Hello Yuri,
You have created a great comment system.

I have one question, is it possible to add the number of the comments link (eg. (10)) to the Article title?

renkom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by renkom » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:00 pm

hi,

first of all: thank you yvolk for this great extension!

I just have one question: when I set yvcomment to display the add-comment form on a separate page, all the formating of the part of the article that is displayed above the form is not displayed. is there simple way to keep at least the linebreaks (and paragraphs) of the text? it's not very nice to have it all in one line...

also I came across a very strage behaviour: all links to one of my articles is broken, on the frontpage it links to http://mydomain.info/#yvComment (in the module), in the backend list of comments http://mydomain.info/administrator/inde ... _yvcomment. comment links to all other articles (that i tryed) are working properly.
[edit]:
very strangly this is working now. I don't know why or what I changed...
anyway sorry to bother you :(
[/edit]

/ rk

joomla 1.5.8
yvcomment 1.19.3
(website still in offline mode)
Last edited by renkom on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mslonik
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mslonik » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Hello Yuri,

Thank you for your great yvComment solution!

I found it helpful, but it requires some effort during installation and configuration, which means good English (or Russian) language skills. Please accept my contribution to your project:
a. Translation of the Documentation page (ver. 1.19.3) into Polish, including some screen shots in Polish.
b. yvComment solution revised translation into Polish (ver. 1.19.002).

You should receive e-mail with above attachment to your usual e-mail address. Please check it!

I've noticed that in download area (http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/yvcomm ... tion=index) there is also version 1.19.3 but with wrong version number (1.19.4). It confused me a little bit. Don't you think that it should be corrected?

If it's not a big deal to you, please drop me a short message informing that you've integrated Polish version of Documentation with your help site. I would be honored to see it :-]

Kind regards,
mslonik (Maciej Słojewski)

dr_dream
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dr_dream » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:02 am

Hello,

First of all, thanks a lot for the great work!

I have a short question:
( I am rebuilding my website locally and it will feature two different languages, managed by Joom!Fish. )
- Is it possible that each language will have its comments ?
- And also, is it possible with yvComment to restrict the acces and let only registered users to post comments ?

Keep up the good work!
Thanks!

IZasPIE
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by IZasPIE » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi all,
I get this error when I install yvcomponent:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /home/justlaff/public_html/scrapycrafts/components/com_yvcomment/helpers.php on line 277

Some one please help. :(
-IZ
Signature Rules: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65
Only literal URL's allowed.

IZasPIE
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by IZasPIE » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:08 pm

Ok go it installed! The problem was that I had PHP4 on my server. I then changed it to PHP5, and then it got installed fine.
Signature Rules: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65
Only literal URL's allowed.

zoransoko
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zoransoko » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:31 pm

I just wanted to subscribe for new replies on this topic again cause I unsubscribed earlier.. Maybe I can get notified about new features of yvComment.

I need:
- notify user about new replies (comments)
- different preview layout of comments - not on front page, but in popup window or something else

Great extension!

jlounds
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jlounds » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:23 am

Thanks for the great extension, first of all.

I would love to see an option of making the subject "Re: [name of parent article]", whether or not the subject line is hidden or not.

The main reason is that I am using VEMOD News Mailer to send updates when articles are added, and I cannot tell what the comment was left on without going to the web site.

Any ideas if this is feasible or not?

Thanks!

Jeremy

mark_82
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mark_82 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:16 am

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for this great extension.

I'm having a couple of problems with pagination. When I try and go back a page, I get a 404 - Article #0 not found error. The page is appended twice to the url eg. http://localhost/guestbook.html/guestbook.html?start=0. It appears this has something to do with my SEO settings. If I set all of the Joomla SEO settings in the global configuration screen to no, pagination works fine.

Also, the pagination is pushing the comment form to the right of the page.

I hope you can help me with this.

Thanks,
Mark

kdb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: The comment was not found.: ArticleID=0; (Child ArticleID=12

Post by kdb » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:31 pm

yvolk wrote:
mikehu wrote:I had the same problem, like Chris: "The comment was not found.: ArticleID=0; (Child ArticleID=125)". Yuri sent me a solution. I had to say special thanks for this GREAT SUPPORT!!

Mike from Hungary
I want to add, that this bug is for those, who don't "Use content table". The fix will be included in the next release.

I'm attaching patched files for v.1.19.002 only:
1. 'components/com_yvcomment/helpers.php'
2. 'components/com_yvcomment/models/comment.php'
Thank you for posting this patch above. I was elated to see that the error of ""The comment was not found.: ArticleID=0; (Child ArticleID=xxx)" was not posting below non-comment articles...
BUT
When I looked at the articles to have comments - the error was there!
What can I do? I have reviewed the documentation multiple times and I am confident that all is configured accordingly.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment - Subscription to the comments

Post by yvolk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:25 am

kestrel6045 wrote:
yvolk wrote:
But I couldn't find it
Thanks in advance
Regards, Fausto
Hi, Fausto!
Thanks for your reply.
For my purpose, I'd need the author always get notified.
I could get this done with two minor changes on file "components/com_yvcomment/models/comment.php"
1. Comment the two lines below
// Don't notify anybody, if user has all rights...
2. Add this line after $Article = $this->getArticle();)
$Recipients[] =& JUser::getInstance($Article->created_by);

Is that Ok with you?
Yes, of cause this is good 'ad hoc' solution for your site... (Maybe you need to add a check that the author is not a Guest, though...).
...Maybe I should add something like "Always notify Authors about comments on their articles" to the list of yvComment's parameters?
kestrel6045 wrote:BTW, your code is like a text book ... thanks a LOT !!
Fausto
Thank you, I'm overwhelmed, really. :)

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvComment - custom "Number of the comments" link

Post by yvolk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:47 am

asutkev wrote:...is it possible to add the number of the comments link (eg. (10)) to the Article title?
Yes, this may be done using these two things:
1. Template override to create your custom template.
2. Setting "Position of comments ..." parameter to 'Defined by Article template' (read more on the Homepage, point No.18 ("Three options for Position of comments...")

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:54 am

renkom wrote:I just have one question: when I set yvcomment to display the add-comment form on a separate page, all the formating of the part of the article that is displayed above the form is not displayed. is there simple way to keep at least the linebreaks (and paragraphs) of the text? it's not very nice to have it all in one line...
Hi, renkom!
It is not easy no show only part of article and not to break its layout (the article HTML code have to be parsed...) so I decided, that plain text is better then nothing :)
You may, of cause, customize this (the same 'template override' of "components/com_yvcomment/views/comment/tmpl/default.php" file, see this code:

Code: Select all

<?php 
			$yvComment->PrepareItemForView($article);
			$text = $article->text;
			$max_length = 1000;
			if (JString::strlen($text) > $max_length) {
				$text = JFilterInput::clean($text, 'string');;
				$text = JString::substr($text, 0, $max_length) . '...';
			}
	  echo $text; 
	?>

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvComment - Polish version of documentation page is online!

Post by yvolk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:05 am

Thank you, mslonik, for your contributions!
yvComment's documentation page in Polish is online, language pack published in JoomlaCode.
mslonik wrote:Hello Yuri,

Thank you for your great yvComment solution!

I found it helpful, but it requires some effort during installation and configuration, which means good English (or Russian) language skills. Please accept my contribution to your project:
a. Translation of the Documentation page (ver. 1.19.3) into Polish, including some screen shots in Polish.
b. yvComment solution revised translation into Polish (ver. 1.19.002).
mslonik wrote:I've noticed that in download area (http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/yvcomm ... tion=index) there is also version 1.19.3 but with wrong version number (1.19.4). It confused me a little bit. Don't you think that it should be corrected?
I consider the third number in full version string as a number of service release, so e.g. all "1.19.XXX" versions are all about the same features, they are just 'bug fixes' of v.1.19 ...

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvComment and Joom!Fish - each language with its comments

Post by yvolk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:14 am

dr_dream wrote:I have a short question:
( I am rebuilding my website locally and it will feature two different languages, managed by Joom!Fish. )
- Is it possible that each language will have its comments ?
You mean, 'each language of the same Article' (from Joomla! point of view)?
I didn't dig that Joom!Fish yet... it's interesting. May you arrange admin access for me to the site with multilingual articles + Joom!fish, to speed up the process?
dr_dream wrote: - And also, is it possible with yvComment to restrict the acces and let only registered users to post comments?
Yes, just set "Allow guests to add comments" to "No".

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment - autofill subject whether it's hidden or not

Post by yvolk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:23 am

jlounds wrote:I would love to see an option of making the subject "Re: [name of parent article]", whether or not the subject line is hidden or not.

The main reason is that I am using VEMOD News Mailer to send updates when articles are added, and I cannot tell what the comment was left on without going to the web site.

Any ideas if this is feasible or not?
Yes, Jeremy, you need a small change in "components/com_yvcomment/models/comment.php" file, just comment this comparison in 'function AddOrPreview':

Code: Select all

if ($this->_hide_title) { ... }

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: The comment was not found.: ArticleID=0; (Child ArticleID=12

Post by yvolk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:26 am

kdb wrote:
yvolk wrote:
mikehu wrote:I had the same problem, like Chris: "The comment was not found.: ArticleID=0; (Child ArticleID=125)". Yuri sent me a solution. I had to say special thanks for this GREAT SUPPORT!!

Mike from Hungary
I want to add, that this bug is for those, who don't "Use content table". The fix will be included in the next release.

I'm attaching patched files for v.1.19.002 only:
1. 'components/com_yvcomment/helpers.php'
2. 'components/com_yvcomment/models/comment.php'
Thank you for posting this patch above. I was elated to see that the error of ""The comment was not found.: ArticleID=0; (Child ArticleID=xxx)" was not posting below non-comment articles...
BUT
When I looked at the articles to have comments - the error was there!
What can I do? I have reviewed the documentation multiple times and I am confident that all is configured accordingly.
Please upgrade to yvComment v.1.19.3 - I think, it will give you more info to fix this problem.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”