Independent German sites propose a J! 1.5.9.1 version

A place to discuss Joomla! translation matters.

Moderator: wendhausen

lyteroom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Independent German sites propose a J! 1.5.9.1 version

Post by lyteroom » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:52 pm

Hello,

I mostly only look over the official Joomla sites, but right now I saw that a lot of German Sites propose a Joomla Version 1.5.9.1. The package includes the german language files already by default.

From what I read about the integrity of Joomla!, is this the right way to play with the numbers or is this something that was authorized by Joomla?

In case it is not authorised, it comes kind of contra-Joomla to simply add a number behind the actual 1.5.9 version when probably soon and also when there probably won't be an official 1.5.9.1 version of Joomla out there.

Example: http://www.google.de/search?rlz=1C1CHMG ... la+1.5.9.1

Just wanted you to know, maybe you authorised this or missed out on something...Thanks anyway!

ghosty
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Independent German sites propose a J! 1.5.9.1 version

Post by ghosty » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi Lyteroom,

thanks indeed for this head up, as we announced the Translation and localization policy just short up the release of 1.5.9 we almost didnt had a look ad the also new naming conventions ...
We will indeed have this fixed ASAP..

Prior the Policy and the naming conevention for files and packs we used to name them this way, but as you said this may can cause irritation ...

we will have this fixed shortly ..

Thanks

Pete
Pete Coutts / ghosty · · GMT +1
---------------------------------

lyteroom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lyteroom » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:27 pm

Okay, great to hear back from you. I just was indeed kind of irritated if this is now something that was "simply added" or with good reason.

In fact, as you mention the possible irritation it may cause, the problem might be that people suggest that a version with an additional number will include further improvements of the software. And as this here is only a localization issue, I may say it would lead to a lot more confusion when non-german users see that there is a 1.5.9.1 version and wonder what this is all about. And as you can see, there exist post in Joomla Forums already that refer to this version and I think not all may really know what they now work with and only follow any number that is higher than the prior one.

Good to see that you will look after this, for now I wish you all a very nice weekend !

P.S.: My suggestion would be to simply keep the numbers controlled only be the improvement steps otherwise there may come 1.5.9.2, 1.5.9.3 and so on, that only relate to updates in the language files. Any improvement on the language files could follow an increase in the numbers set also by official language teams. Especially as mentioned, when there should be additional steps between 1.5.9 to 1.6 that come directly from Joomla and the Core Team related to any official updates, it might become hard to keep all in one line. And most know how fast some security leak etc. could be revealed and also when it was not planned, an official 1.5.9.x would have to be released.

As to to this, I'd rather prefer to keep it with "language patches" and "Core Updates" to not one day have to switch to "Core patch" due language specific updates used to add further version numbers to the original version.

ghosty
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ghosty » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:01 am

Hi,

well, according to our new Policy: http://community.joomla.org/translation ... olicy.html there indeed will be language file versionings within the packs name see also Figure 9.:
All language packs shall be named: "[ISO name of language]_joomla_lang_[type of package].[joomla version][Eventual pack version]" where:

* [Iso name of language] = xx-XX
* [type of package]. = site, admin, full
* [Eventual pack version] = v2, v3, etc.

example: xx-XX_joomla_lang_full.1.5.8v2.zip
Cheers

Pete
Pete Coutts / ghosty · · GMT +1
---------------------------------

lyteroom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lyteroom » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:08 am

Okay, that is what I thought about. The X.X.X.v2 makes the difference as when it would be same like versioning a core update.

Thanks again for your answer.

mic
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mic » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:53 am

Every addition to the 'official' naming convention will confuse!
No matter if with or without 'v'.
From where should the users know what is 'official' and what not?

On the other side every translation team has to update their language packs more often then the core language because of the translation of new strings and better wording.
This will be always an ongoing process to help the users in understanding what they read (the translated).
http://www.joomx.com - custom extensions and development
http://www.joomlasupportdesk.com - support, migration, training and consulting
Member of the German Joomla Translation Team

lyteroom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lyteroom » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:59 am

I do not know how often people HAVE to update their language packs unless it is a step from 1.5.x to 1.6 maybe? I would say you once add your language, correct all the typos the teams still had inside and are mostly better with keeping it this way. I have found an awful lot of typos in VirtueMart, (even in the default language) in Joomla not soo many yet, but I would say anyone should rewrite their language files at least for the frontend to own tastes and styles, nothing is more boring to visitors to see anywhere the same default system messages and others standard texts when developers have the ability to change this with some few simple changes in the language files. 8)

Just my opinion, but a right versioning is a must, nothing to say against this!

mic
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mic » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:20 pm

lyteroom wrote:I do not know how often people HAVE to update their language packs unless it is a step from 1.5.x to 1.6 maybe?
To speak for the german team: many times: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jgerman/tracker/
And you are warmly invited to participate ...
lyteroom wrote:I would say you once add your language, correct all the typos the teams still had inside and are mostly better with keeping it this way. I have found an awful lot of typos in VirtueMart, (even in the default language) in Joomla not soo many yet, ...
You are mixing here 2 things together: core and extensions (while VM is a good 'bad' sample for typos)
lyteroom wrote:but I would say anyone should rewrite their language files at least for the frontend to own tastes and styles, nothing is more boring to visitors to see anywhere the same default system messages and others standard texts when developers have the ability to change this with some few simple changes in the language files.
You forget that not every user is a coder (or developer).
Too many noobs are there out and they want to have a complete 'system' without fiddeling around.

But as i said at the beginning: you are invited to participate in this community and helping in becoming the languages better and better ....
http://www.joomx.com - custom extensions and development
http://www.joomlasupportdesk.com - support, migration, training and consulting
Member of the German Joomla Translation Team

Return to “Translations”