Import documents with images

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
lveronese
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Import documents with images

Post by lveronese » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:09 pm

Hi, I have tried to do some search but I have not found a solution.
The issues is: I have lots of word documents with text and images and would like to find out a quick way to import them as Joomla articles.

I am using JCE as the editor, which has a word document import but this function works only for the text stripping out the Microsoft Word metadata. If I try to import images through a copy & paste, no way it does not work.

So I'd like to hear from you what do you do if you have a document in Word format and need to convert it into a Joomla article.

So far I simply convert the Word doc into html in order to extract the images, then load them into Joomla (a specific directory for the images of an article), I import the document text into an article and insert the images I previously loaded into Joomla.

Guys, it sooo long! Isn't there a faster method ?

Thanks
Luciano

nightmarestang
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Import documents with images

Post by nightmarestang » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:45 pm

I simply copy the HTML over into my Joomla, upload the specific pictures onto the Joomla server I'm using, then make sure the jpg matches in the html as to what I uploaded. Done and easy...takes 2 minutes.

lveronese
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lveronese » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:01 pm

Uhmm, I don't understand, what do you do with the html ?

I mean, you convert the word doc into html (not sure of the quality of the generated html ...) so you get an html file together with a bunch of images.
Now you upload the html and the images into a joomla directory dedicated to the article (to avoid name conflict) right ?

Ok for the images, I don't understand what do you do with the html ...

Sorry, I am a beginner...
Bye
Luciano

davetanguay
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by davetanguay » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:26 pm

I too have not found any easy way to accomplish this. I have a few customers that have the word format of the content but they need it posted to Joomla... not as an uploaded document, but as a joomla article with images.

The best way is the most tedious way.

1) Create the document in Joomla. You can cut-n-paste any text. I would also use the "remove formatting" feature within the joomla editor to remove any formatting Word was giving the text. To be honest the absolutely best way to remove formatting is to first paste your text content into notepad and then copy it from notepad to joomla. You don't want the text to be formatted with any style of fonts or colors since you should use Joomla's CSS to handle this for you if you want to have a consistent looking site.

Take this site for example which is a customer of mine http://stjustinmartyr.net/. As you can see they have just been copy and pasting word documents and content they find on other sites and it has somehow messed up the Joomla CSS stylesheet. All the links are not supposed to be underlined... according to the joomla CSS. The pasting of formatted word and web documents has caused this strange behavior.

2) As for the images, use Photoshop or the free opensource version GIMP. Create and save an image for each image you want to post within your content and upload them to the /images/stories folder

3) Now insert the images using the Joomla editor. I'd first upgrade the default Joomla editor to JCE instead for some more advanced "insert image" capabilities as well as others.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear but there is no easy way to just import or copy-n-paste word documents with their images in Joomla.... no easier way that I know of yet but I'll be watching this thread hoping so.
CPanel Web Hosting Services http://interactiveonline.com/shared-web-hosting
Follow us on Twitter @interactiveo

davetanguay
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by davetanguay » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:11 pm

Also after trying some things I noticed you can within Word... SAVE-AS a Web page. This will save your word document as an html page and create a folder the same name as your file name. Within that folder will be the images that were in the document. The html version of your word document references these images within it's code.

You could upload the folder of images to the server but within the HTML document you would have to change the references to the images to be the same as the folder you upload.

The html version of the word document saved the images path to something like c:\My Documents but they will need to be changed to something like /images/stories/folder-of-images or use the full path instead http://yourdomain.com/images/stories/folder-of-images. You could use the replace function within Frontpage or Notepad to accomplish this.

You could then copy-n-paste the content into your joomla article.

An example of a test page I created using the above process is at http://interactiveonline.com/company-info

Still not an 'easy' way but at least you don't have to create each individual image item using photo editing software.

But still you'll notice you'll have some formatting issues with your site or with some particular articles if you just copy-n-paste html that was created via Word.

Frontpage is a different story. A lot of the content on our site was created using Frontpage. The HTML frontpage creates ins MUCH cleaner than the HTML a Word Document creates. We then copy-n-paste the html from Frontpage into Joomla. Either way we NEVER use Word to create documents since the html it produces is horrible!

Any word documents that are given to me that need to be published to a Joomla site I end up creating from scratch using the Joomla editor, Microsoft Frontpage, UltraEdit (an advanced notepad) or a mixture of all of them.
CPanel Web Hosting Services http://interactiveonline.com/shared-web-hosting
Follow us on Twitter @interactiveo

laughzilla
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by laughzilla » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:21 pm

ok so this sounds good, possibly, converting the file to html and then copy/paste the contents of that html into a joomla article.

is there a script or plugin or extension or joomla function that does this in an automated way? or another way to automatically import those kinds of contents into joomla?

it seems there must be something like this by now. there must certainly be people other than me who have collections of text and .doc files that they need to import and make searchable / usable articles in joomla.

i am looking for this, though so far i have yet to find a solution to this.

Vexon1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Vexon1 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi All

Someone smart must have an answer to this phenomenon.
I can copy and paste content (with images) into JCE Editor from one website, but not from another.

I can copy from here: http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/busines ... cs=ukbsdt1

But not from here: http://www.samsung.com/za/consumer/pc-p ... b=features

So it is possible to copy and paste text and images directly into an editor like JCE, but it doesn't always work. If we can figure out when and why it does work, we can figure out a way to easily copy and past articles into our site using a content editor.

Looking forward to your replies.

thanks and regards

-Vexon

yoma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoma » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:31 am

Vexon1 wrote:Hi All

Someone smart must have an answer to this phenomenon.
I can copy and paste content (with images) into JCE Editor from one website, but not from another.

I can copy from here: http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/busines ... cs=ukbsdt1

But not from here: http://www.samsung.com/za/consumer/pc-p ... b=features

So it is possible to copy and paste text and images directly into an editor like JCE, but it doesn't always work. If we can figure out when and why it does work, we can figure out a way to easily copy and past articles into our site using a content editor.

Looking forward to your replies.

thanks and regards

-Vexon
still waiting for Someone smart must have an answer to this phenomenon :eek:

sashaiel
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by sashaiel » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:43 pm

hi.
i want to know when i copy and paste articles from another site to my joomla editor (or k2 editor), is there any way or plugin to import images from source site to my server??

ravee1010
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ravee1010 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:44 am

Two years back this thread was started and still no solution found .:(
Hope some one finds a plugin or a way to directly copy-paste article from word (or html) into joomla Article soon.

Nbowes
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nbowes » Fri May 25, 2012 8:05 pm

lveronese wrote:Hi, I have tried to do some search but I have not found a solution.
The issues is: I have lots of word documents with text and images and would like to find out a quick way to import them as Joomla articles.

I am using JCE as the editor, which has a word document import but this function works only for the text stripping out the Microsoft Word metadata. If I try to import images through a copy & paste, no way it does not work.

So I'd like to hear from you what do you do if you have a document in Word format and need to convert it into a Joomla article.

So far I simply convert the Word doc into html in order to extract the images, then load them into Joomla (a specific directory for the images of an article), I import the document text into an article and insert the images I previously loaded into Joomla.

Guys, it sooo long! Isn't there a faster method ?

Thanks
Luciano
You can install Blogging XMLRPC for Joomla! (he has versions dfor 1.5,1.6, 1.7 and 2.5)and then use Windows Live Writer (from microsoft) to do copy/paste of entire documents (including pictures). Its a bit rough to setup but once you get it working, it is amazing.

If you need help setting it up just send me a message and ill post a wuick how-to guide.

sk_joom
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sk_joom » Fri May 17, 2013 8:19 pm

There is a way you can do it. Convert a word file into html. Then upload the content of the html file as an article and upload the images to the image folder. I have tried it and it worked. I have also not found any extension which can do the same. There is another way to do is to use a tool http://bulkupload.webs.com/. But there are some constraint. You need to have windows system and .net framework

boizan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by boizan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:53 am

Hello,
I read that you need to save the Word document as a Web Page Filtered. After copying it in Joomla you must format all the text as paragraph.
But the other way that I would like is to save the Word document as a XML document and then import it to Joomla with J2XML.
Regards,

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”