how to upload videos on my web site

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
justin wandji
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

how to upload videos on my web site

Post by justin wandji » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:15 pm

hi dears,
i am justin started eploring Joomla 1.5 last week and actualy i built a web site already that by watching the video of Lynda, joomla1.5. but so far i still trying to find a way of uploading video on my site and i hope any of would definitely help me.
thanks a lot
justin
my email: [email protected]

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: how to upload videos on my web site

Post by dizzi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:31 pm

You can "upload" videos by using the Media Manager or an FTP client. If you want to "play" those uploaded videos or others hosted on external servers such as [youtube], you will then need an extension to do this. Have a look in the Extensions Directory http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... -&-gallery for recommendations. I use RokBox and it works quite well.

P.S. Be as clear as possible with your questions.
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...
There is no problem a good miracle can't fix.

justin wandji
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by justin wandji » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:56 pm

thanks for the quick reaction. i will do now and will come back to you.
anyway from the media manager this are the elements i found but still i don't know where to click for video since i think i can only dealwith images here.
Folders
Media
M_images
banners
my_images
smilies
stories
food
fruit
thanks for helping

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dizzi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:05 pm

You use the Media Manager or an FTP client to first upload the video file to a directory in your site. You can create if you wish a "/videos" or "/images/videos" directory for this purpose. When you have done this, you will to install an extension to play those videos. Some of the video streaming extensions may allow you to both upload and play, you will just need to read the associaciated documentation.
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...
There is no problem a good miracle can't fix.

justin wandji
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by justin wandji » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:18 pm

ok thank you very much will try it now and come back to you.
thanks for the help

march hare
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by march hare » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:00 am

I would appreciate understanding how to upload a video from the front end when creating an article. I am using JCE, I tried the image upload feature but the browse button does not work for some reason I have not got to the bottom of. Permissions to upload are granted in the JCE admin panel.

I have AVR media installed, but it has not front end upload either. I was hoping that the image button at the bottom left of the editor would allow me to upload video, but it does not. I can upload images no problem.

Any suggestions very welcome. Thanks.

(using latest install of all things to date)

march hare
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by march hare » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:41 am

Well I do feel a complete twonk.. the problem uploading video media was that the php.ini on the server was limited to 2mbs upload.

for any one interested use the following legal file extentions in the media settings in the global admin server settings.

Code: Select all

bmp,csv,doc,epg,flv,gif,ico,jpg,mov,mp4,mpg,odg,odp,ods,odt,pdf,png,ppt,swf,txt,xcf,xls,
BMP,CSV,DOC,EPG,FLV,GIF,ICO,JPG,MOV,MP4,MPG,ODG,ODP,ODS,ODT,PDF,PNG,PPT,SWF,TXT,XCF,XLS
along with the following ignored extentions

flv,mov,mp4,mpg
definately works front end and back end...

don't fall into my stooopid blackhole looking for a problem in joomla configuration when it is the blinking server settings... now cross fingers they will up the limit.

Recommendation, when testing your setting only use media files under a meg, then you can quickly resolve the problem. ;)

samvaGR
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by samvaGR » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:42 pm

Hello guys!
I tried eveything you said in this topic and I looked also on http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 1#p1617201 but nothing worked. i got the message "file not supported"!!!
what else to do?
Greetings from the island of Crete, Greece

march hare
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by march hare » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:08 pm

what file type are you trying to upload, is it listed here?

bmp,csv,doc,epg,flv,gif,ico,jpg,mov,mp4,mpg,odg,odp,ods,odt,pdf,png,ppt,swf,txt,xcf,xls,
BMP,CSV,DOC,EPG,FLV,GIF,ICO,JPG,MOV,MP4,MPG,ODG,ODP,ODS,ODT,PDF,PNG,PPT,SWF,TXT,XCF,XLS
If not you will need to add it. NB. Apparently they need to be in alphabetical order.

What are you using to upload the file, an extension or the core media manager, frontend or backend?

Are you using a flash uploader as opposed to a more simple HTML style form to upload,`personally I have not had any joy with falsh uploaders, my server does not seem to like them.

samvaGR
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by samvaGR » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:46 pm

Sorry, being upset I did not say...
I am trying to upload a video so I wrote down avi,mov,mpg,mp3 in -->the Legal Extensions (File Typesfield). Then I went to http://www.w3schools.com/media/media_mimeref.asp end got the type which I wrote in -->Legal MIME Types.
-I checked Restrict Uploads -->Yes
-Check MIME Types --> No
I tried both flash uploader and normal uploader on Joomla but also filezilla but it is unpossible to upload videos (on images/stories/videos)

Question No.1
Do the types really have to be alphabetically? Do I have to write them with cpas and small?
Question No.2
If it finally should work do I really need Allvideos extension which I downloaded?
Question No.3
Where can this php.ini be? I 've installed Joomla from Cpanel Fantastico
Question No.4

Thank you for your quick response

march hare
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by march hare » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:01 pm

put all that code in your file extensions you could add mp3 and MP3 in the correct alpha numeric order as I have below, with no spaces. The capitals are there because some times files have caps on the end sometimes the don't, I guess the process is 'case sensative', so you need both.

bmp,csv,doc,epg,flv,gif,ico,jpg,mov,mp3,mp4,mpg,odg,odp,ods,odt,pdf,png,ppt,swf,txt,xcf,xls,
BMP,CSV,DOC,EPG,FLV,GIF,ICO,JPG,MOV,MP3,MP4,MPG,ODG,ODP,ODS,ODT,PDF,PNG,PPT,SWF,TXT,XCF,XLS
apparently having these in you ignored extensions box helps grease the wheels.

flv,mov,mp4,mpg
maybe you could add mp3 as below, see if that helps.

flv,mov,mp3,mp4,mpg
Remember your host may have a stupidly low upload limit such as 2mbs. You can check this in the tools in the admin screen (top right).

You don't have to use AVreloaded at all, I have seen numous video handling extensions in teh JED, it just happens to be the one I used, and has no relevance to uploading really, but I do like the way it handles adding video locally or from outside video sites. I have heard that it is a bit heavey on the front end, so you should have a look see what else is available, but it does work.

By the sound of it you wil not be able to access the php.ini file, if you are on shared hosting almost certainly not. Some PHP setting can be change using the .htaccess. Look in the security documentation, it s quite interesting what you can do. ;)
but also filezilla
are you saying that you can't even upload videos using filezilla FTP program?

How did you create the video folders? If you did so using filezilla, it makes no sense. Maybe the owner of the directory is not you... though I can't fathom how that would happen.

samvaGR
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by samvaGR » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:11 pm

I solved the problem by putting in the ignored extensions box the files I tried to upload. the only problem is that Joomla is stucking when I try to upload a large file. I could not find the limit on top right as you said. The only thing that I found is Maximum Size (in bytes) (in Global configuration/system where I put 0 (default was 10000 something like this) like joomla help says "use zero for no limit".
I also put the whole code as you wrote. I had created the video folder in Joomla, however I couldn't upload anything from there and not even with ftp. It was also not possible to change the permissions.
I could'nt find php.ini and my .htaccess file is totally empty...

Thanks again and I will still try to work out some things. There is so much to learn on Joomla....

march hare
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by march hare » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:24 pm

I solved the problem by putting in the ignored extensions box the files I tried to upload. the only problem is that Joomla is stucking when I try to upload a large file.
Hey, great news that you are making headway!

I think that it is highly unlikely that you will be able to access the php.ini it is not available on most shared hosting.

The max PHP_upload file size is set in the PHP.in, the details of which can be found in the tools panel top right on the adminsitration screen. The default is 2mbs, if yu ask your hosting provider to up the limit they might give you 32mbs, some are kind enough to do so, others send you away with pathetic excuses.

The problems with the videos directory, how did you create it? If you can rename the one that is not working using filezilla, and then create a new directory called videos, try uploading a file into it... if you can't rename it, create another directory again using filezilla (or which ever FTP program you are using) and see if you can upload to that using the same FTP program. If you can't then probably best to contact your hosting provider as it sounds like a problem only they can solve, and I would suggest that it is a fault with the server set up, rather than you and defo' nothing to do with joomla. Hope that helps.
Last edited by march hare on Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

batterymetric
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by batterymetric » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:26 pm

If you are talking about youtbue videos, you can simply use the url and past the video into a article

march hare
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by march hare » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:29 pm

AllVideo Reloaded handles external content like [youtube] really well. I didn't know you could just past the URL into an article with out the help of an extension, I'll have to check that, it would save a lot of time as everybody seems to want that feature. :)

Certainly if you have big videos, uploading them to a [youtube] and calling them in from there gets past the file upload limits, but then it comes with the [youtube] lable etc. If that's not an issue.. its a useful work around for sure.

samvaGR
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by samvaGR » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:57 pm

I know that it is easy to upload it to [youtube]. I did it already on a website I have created. You just copy the code. The thing is that I want to try play it from the website without an external link... without the logo of [youtube]....

AllVideo is really very good and easy to use indeed.... You don' t have to look for the path of your videos, you just see them directly

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”