Who's Online inaccurate?

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Pixelgun
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Who's Online inaccurate?

Post by Pixelgun » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:03 am

I just finished doing a patch on a client site tonight. I had taken the site offline before starting the patch update and when I finished patching I took the site back online and checked to make sure everything was working. Who's Online immediately reported "8 guests online". I checked with Woopra, a realtime webstats and user tracking app (already 4 different extensions for Joomla supporting Woopra!) and found it reporting only me on the site. I have notice many times that Woopra reports far fewer users on the site than the Who's Online module does.

Is the Who's Online module accurate? What does it track to come up with the numbers it does? Could the extra users be search engine bots?

I would appreciate any info on this. If it were my site I'd just remove the module but I think my client would complain if it suddenly disappeared.

Dave

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Who's Online inaccurate?

Post by brad » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:06 am

Check your server access log for the 'real' definitive answer as to who/how many are visiting your site.

dpminusa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by dpminusa » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:06 am

I use webmin to administer MySQL. When I suspect the guest count to be off, I look at the jos_sessions table. The records are there. I have not determined how to dissect the fields to get more data. This would give me more clues.

Is there an extension, or a framework function, that analyzes the data field in the session record to parse this?

I would like to monitor this closer.

I use webalizer and my own custom analyzer, but this is indirect.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ghonjez
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by Ghonjez » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:56 am

Hi...

For accurate Who's online, I've used tool from http://whos.amung.us/
That tool is Real Time for analyze. Also provide good Stats report.

Hope this helps.
Regards. :)

navbgsim
I've been banned!

Post by navbgsim » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:44 am

It is always a Good idea to have GA, Woopra & an internal tool... Even GA does not report live links. For complete confirmation check ur website logs.

dpminusa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by dpminusa » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:04 pm

One quirk I found after installing Joomla was that Apache server-status and server-info no longer work. The index.php in Joomla intercepts these and returns a 404.

Does anyone know a work-aroung to get these going again?

dpminusa

lowtech
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Who's Online inaccurate-by including Twitter followrs?

Post by lowtech » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:26 pm

I installed the Whosonline extension and I immediately had 62 unregistered viewers shown. It later rose to 90 something and then dropped to 52. Is it a coincidence that I have 52 Twitter followers for the website? Does anyone know if the Twitter feed is read as an online viewer if the subscriber's browser is open? My firestats does not indicate I have that many on line at any one time. On the other hand, Jos_sessions does indicate viewers equalling the Whosonline count.

Thanks much,

Lowtech
That one may smile and smile, and be a villain.
-Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act 1, Sc. 5.

Return to “Administration 1.5”