JFTP::write: Bad response when editing theme html/CSS

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
bawalker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

JFTP::write: Bad response when editing theme html/CSS

Post by bawalker » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:54 am

I get the following error when I simply go in and try to change the color scheme of the "rhuk_milkyway" theme:

* JFTP::write: Bad response
* Operation Failed!: failed to open file for writing.

I have all files in the rhuk_milkyway set to chmod 777 as well as the templates folder itself set to chmod 777.  Is this some sort of bug??

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: JFTP::write: Bad response when editing theme html/CSS

Post by infograf768 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:22 am

the file params.ini has to be writable.

Works, with another little cosmetic issue in last SVN 8239
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

bawalker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bawalker » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:03 am

I actually updated to the latest SVN package release tonite, made sure every folder/file inside of /templates was chmodded to 777.  Yet when I have rhuk_milkyway set to default, click on the name of the template, I see the following:

Menus:  Cannot assign Default Template

Also when I try to change the color theme, I still receive the following errors:

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:46 am

bawalker wrote: I actually updated to the latest SVN package release tonite, made sure every folder/file inside of /templates was chmodded to 777.  Yet when I have rhuk_milkyway set to default, click on the name of the template, I see the following:

Menus:  Cannot assign Default Template

Also when I try to change the color theme, I still receive the following errors:

Have you re-installed?
The only error I still get is here http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,196120.0.html
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

bawalker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bawalker » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:28 am

I reinstalled (keeping only the configuration file) and after making the /templates folder 777 writeable, I'm still getting the same JFTP issue as before.  I installed using the SVN nightly build from tonite.  params.ini is writeable, as well as the entire rhuk_milkyway folder.

bawalker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bawalker » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:34 am

Has this issue been investigated or duplicated yet by anyone else?  I will be trying to duplicate on a second hosting account.

kelb
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by kelb » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:07 pm

I think this is not an issue for latest SVNs.
Every soul will taste of death.

elfling
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by elfling » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:58 pm

I had this error aswell.

Turned out the ftp folder was wrong. It should look something like this in the configuration.php file (along with the rest of the ftp details being filled in).

var $ftp_root = '/httpdocs/

or /public_html/

etc

bawalker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bawalker » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:56 pm

The only temporary way I've found around this is to create a blank configuration.php file, upload it and give it 777 permissions. Then at the end, copy the configuration settings that joomla gives and post it into the configuration.php file itself. It stinks that this is a work around, but at least it does work... for now.

derekmwright
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by derekmwright » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:55 pm

I noticed this started happening to me when I goofed with my FTP server settings. Some unix FTP services like proftpd will force a homedir ~ and jail you to it. So a path of

Code: Select all

/www
or

/public_html
will jail you to

/home/user/www
or

/home/user/public_html
. If your FTP server isn't forcing this "jail" then using a path like

/www
may be cause the FTP client in Joomla to try and open

/www
on the server instead of

/home/user/www
. You can try using the absolute path if you know it, ie:

/home/user/www
or make the path relative by dropping the first backslash:

www/

Hope this helps anybody who lands here via google! :geek:

Gleyd
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Gleyd » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Eu resolvi este problema apenas colocando o nome de usuário e o diretório raiz e funcionou
I to resolved the problem, I was put
For example:

/usuário/public_html/

/user/public_html/
not put the name /home

;)

simonron
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by simonron » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Beware - for some reason the FTP details cant be updated in J1.5.9 ( and some lower issues) using the backend. I get :-

* JFTP::delete: Bad response

* An Error has occurred! Unable to open configuration.php file to write!

So, I tried setting FTP details by hand in to the config file ( which WAS writable) - and , once I ensured I had the syntax right, it worked!

NB... I may have had more trouble than most as my host uses suPHP protection - which IS a good thing but takes ages to get working correctly.

viks
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by viks » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:28 am

When i am going to install any of the module or components on my website then i am getting these errors. Can anyone explain me what should i do i have tried lot with the file permissions or changes in config.php files. Just have a look in the attachments.

I am getting these messages.

Thanks in Advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vikram

swettling
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by swettling » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:28 pm

I'm somewhat new to all of this as well and have been wrestling with this issue for several hours now.

What I do know is that chaning permissions on some, or all of the files in your web file system is a horrible security hole. Don't do that unless you are just testing on a local server or something.

Some solutions say to give the server ownership of the files. This option most likely won't work on a hosted website as you don't have that level of permissions (i.e. you don't have the ability to assign permissions to the account that is running Apache)

My original Joomla install did NOT use the FTP service, but this was a mistake. Without using it you will very likely run into permissions issues (unless you are running the server yourself and have max permissions).

I then enabled the FTP. Naturally, I couldn't use the online system to update it because I was getting the bad response error and the system didn't have enough permission to edit my configuration.php file. This was a frustrating battle also, so I just edited it locally and uploaded it back up with the changes I made below.

I was able to log into my system with no problem using an FTP or other clients, but for some reason it didn't want to work via Joomla.

Then the light went on. Remember that every FTP account that you create can be assigned a root, or starting folder. When you log into the system with one account it may drop you into one folder and with another account into another folder. This is by design, but it is critical that the Jooomla FTP settings mesh with the FTP account that you are using.

Once I updated the FTP Root on my system to public_html/j1 (j1 is the joomla folder for this particular test, public_html is the public root of my website) it worked great.

Notice, though, the absense of a preceeding /

This is because the folder is being referenced relatively from the root of the FTP login that I have specified. I could create an account that would log me right into the public_html folder at which point I would only have to put j1 in the FTP Root setting.

If I put a preceeding "/" character, it is going to reference the folder from the root of your whole account, so putting in /public_html/j1 will never work because that folder doesn't exist.

Anyhow, this may seem totally obvious to many of you and you're probably laughing that i had so much trouble, but it was nothing short of frustrating for me. I hope this helps a little bit.

michael_king
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by michael_king » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:04 am

Briefly, when using 1.5.9 we found that we needed to include the trailing / For example /public_html/subfolder/

Without the trailing / we could not save configuration settings

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:43 am

Are you using IIS or Apache?
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

DJoh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: JFTP::write: Bad response - Joomla FTP not working

Post by DJoh » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:08 pm

I was also having this problem, immediately after the default Joomla install v. 1.5.10.

I could add users and such (which i think is a database operation), but couldn't change timezone or other "Global Settings".
I'd get this error:

JFTP::write: Bad response
An Error has occurred! Unable to open configuration.php file to write!
The default install had set

Enable FTP = YES
So I disabled FTP, since the mouseover says "Enable FTP upload capabilities instead of the normal method". The normal method appears to give me no problem, I can change now my timezone etc.
My problem is solved as far as I can tell, by disabling FTP.

I still cannont turn the FTP on, or I get these errors:

JFTP::delete: Bad response

An Error has occurred! Unable to open configuration.php file to write!
And I think I know why:
using my hoster's user/pw they gave me, I can SFTP & SSH (terminal etc.), and access any directory.
but if I FTP I am locked into one directory, which is NOT my Joomla dir (since the Joomla install is a development site, not a live site right now).
So If I try to tell Joomla to use FTP, it can never access the directory it needs to, regardless of what path I give it.
This is after getting my hosting guys to change all the permissions on the joomla directory to my user . The permissions used to be user:group = root:root, which meant i couldn't make any new folders/files, so even if FTP had worked I would have still have write-permissions problems with the Joomla FTP settings.
If Joomla had built-in SFTP, then it would work, but it only has non-secure FTP, which my hoster is more restrictive of.

You can probably find out what your problem is by manually FTPing into your site: use whatever FTP program you like, type in the user/pw your joomla site has in it's "Global settings" page, and see what directory your hoster starts you off in.
Then try to find your joomla directory (the one with configuration.php in it).
Then try to create a folder and/or delete that folder inside the joomla directory (to check your permissions on the dir).

If all those go well, then you now know the host, user, pw and directory you need to type into the Joomla settings page.
If you have problems with any of those, they you may as well disable FTP (someone could enlighten me as to what features I lose by disabling FTP, I'm a j00mla n00bie) OR SSH in/tell your hoster to correct your permissions, or type in the correct path you needed to get to you Joomla directory, or whatever you found was the problem.

PS. I also found that I can easily change the FTP settings, before re-enabling FTP, when "Enable FTP" = NO. Then, using the "nromal" mehtod, I can set FTP settings, then enable FTP when they are correct. That might help some of you.

sf_gabe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sf_gabe » Mon May 25, 2009 8:23 pm

swettling wrote:I'm somewhat new to all of this as well and have been wrestling with this issue for several hours now.

What I do know is that chaning permissions on some, or all of the files in your web file system is a horrible security hole. Don't do that unless you are just testing on a local server or something.

Some solutions say to give the server ownership of the files. This option most likely won't work on a hosted website as you don't have that level of permissions (i.e. you don't have the ability to assign permissions to the account that is running Apache)

My original Joomla install did NOT use the FTP service, but this was a mistake. Without using it you will very likely run into permissions issues (unless you are running the server yourself and have max permissions).

I then enabled the FTP. Naturally, I couldn't use the online system to update it because I was getting the bad response error and the system didn't have enough permission to edit my configuration.php file. This was a frustrating battle also, so I just edited it locally and uploaded it back up with the changes I made below.

I was able to log into my system with no problem using an FTP or other clients, but for some reason it didn't want to work via Joomla.

Then the light went on. Remember that every FTP account that you create can be assigned a root, or starting folder. When you log into the system with one account it may drop you into one folder and with another account into another folder. This is by design, but it is critical that the Jooomla FTP settings mesh with the FTP account that you are using.

Once I updated the FTP Root on my system to public_html/j1 (j1 is the joomla folder for this particular test, public_html is the public root of my website) it worked great.

Notice, though, the absense of a preceeding /

This is because the folder is being referenced relatively from the root of the FTP login that I have specified. I could create an account that would log me right into the public_html folder at which point I would only have to put j1 in the FTP Root setting.

If I put a preceeding "/" character, it is going to reference the folder from the root of your whole account, so putting in /public_html/j1 will never work because that folder doesn't exist.

Anyhow, this may seem totally obvious to many of you and you're probably laughing that i had so much trouble, but it was nothing short of frustrating for me. I hope this helps a little bit.
That was exactly what I was looking for, I've been banging my head up against it for hours.

Note for others: This was causing a problem in Phoca Gallery thumbnail creation for me or else I wouldn't have noticed it.
Zap! Squeak! Design!
print.web.identity.illustration
(...and a whole lot of Joomla too)

http://www.zapsqueak.com

tosaha33
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tosaha33 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:26 am

jcsarmento
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jcsarmento » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:48 pm

Men,!!!

found it for apache: use the root path ftp: "httpdocs/" and configuration.php must have write access.

that´s it.

enjoy jcsarmento

iminovermyhead
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by iminovermyhead » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:49 pm

Hello All,

So i tried all the various methods.

Manually edited the config.php file, upload via ftp client. tried with the preceeding / and without.

what i realized was that i could edit and change my templates and global configs prior to setting my ftp settings.

i changed enable ftp to 0. and now i can edit my html, and global configs.

so the question is, what is the benefit to having ftp set to yes? that is if you can configure it correctly.
and what is the disadvantage of having it set to no?

aloha

charleyhankins
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by charleyhankins » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:27 pm

I was getting JFTP::write: Bad response when attempting to upload extensions or save settings. my "var $ftp_root = '/public_html/~sacc';" was that. so, I removed the "~sacc" and presto! Save-o!

CH

jcsarmento
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jcsarmento » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:47 pm

forget my previous post about writing access , it´s not secure.

change de owner of the file to apache and it´s solved.

olyma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Changes I made to make the FTP work

Post by olyma » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:19 pm

I finally figured it out in my case too. To be able to write to the configuration.php file and make the FTP work in Joomla, I changed the host to just be the site URL I’m working with, and when I checked the root directory from the host-provider specifically within my FTP program, unlike another provider I’ve used, the root was simply a / , so I changed the root directory in the configuration.php file to simply be a / .

varftp_host = 'name-of-my-site.com';
var $ftp_root = '/';

And now the FTP works! :D Yeah!!!!!!

conort77
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by conort77 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:16 pm

I had the same problem, it turns out that my language files hadn't installed properly. I copied them over from a previous installation and it's working like a charm.

junbernardo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Changes I made to make the FTP work

Post by junbernardo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:13 am

olyma wrote:I finally figured it out in my case too. To be able to write to the configuration.php file and make the FTP work in Joomla, I changed the host to just be the site URL I’m working with, and when I checked the root directory from the host-provider specifically within my FTP program, unlike another provider I’ve used, the root was simply a / , so I changed the root directory in the configuration.php file to simply be a / .

varftp_host = 'name-of-my-site.com';
var $ftp_root = '/';

And now the FTP works! :D Yeah!!!!!!

Yeah, this worked for me also. I retained varftp_host at 127.0.0.1 but changed ftp_root to "/". :D

I am now wondering how changing the root will affect the site since I want a separate folder for ftp. Anyway, thank you for the post olyma.

sandrineleplen
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sandrineleplen » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:32 pm

Check your sites error log to see if there is more information. You are going to have to dig into this one since it is an environment (site) issue. There must be something different about this site from the other.

The save should be like all the other saves in the theme options.
Please read forum rules regarding the use of signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”