I ran into the same problem as you all. In case anyone else stumbles across this forum, here's how to fix it.
Apache has problems starting up is because it is usually trying to use ports that are already being used by other programs. Especially Ports 80 and 443. Rather than going to lengths trying to figure out what is using the ports you need and disabling them you can just simply specify new ports for xampp to use.
Change the following lines in your xampp configuration by opening them up in a text editor like notepad or whatever you use
* Scroll down and find “Listen 80″, change to “Listen 8080″
* Also find “ServerName localhost:80″, change to “ServerName localhost:8080"
* Scroll down and find “Listen 443″, change to “Listen 4499″
* Also find “<VirtualHost _default_:443>”, change to “<VirtualHost _default_:4499>”
* and just below that find “ServerName localhost:443″, change this to “ServerName localhost:4499″
Now try re starting xampp and seeing if apache starts correctly. If it does you just have to remember to specify the port when you're using your browser. So now rather than just going to:http://localhost/xampp/
You should now use: localhost:8080 (or whatever port you specified in httpd-ssl.conf)http://localhost:8080/xampp/
*Also note, you don't specifically have to use ports 8080 or 4499. If you're still having problems and try repeating the steps and specifying a different port instead.