Articles locked for editing

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Nemesiss
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Articles locked for editing

Post by Nemesiss » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:53 am

Hi,

I'm new to Joolma, and have been building a site with it. So far things have gone pretty smooth. However I was trying the different user levels out and setup a 'editor' role. After logging in as an Editor I went to edit an article and got the message that:

"The article 'My Website' is currently being edited by another Editor, Publisher, or Administrator."

Now, I don't know why its saying that since my site is not open to the public and there are only two users on the site which I setup as test. One is the 'Editor' role and the other is the 'super admin' role. I was not editing anything in the admin role at the time I got this message.

Can someone help me sort that out?

Thanks!

jservices
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Articles locked for editing

Post by jservices » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:43 am

Hi Nemesis,

You'll notice when you edit an article (and most other things as well) that you have a Save, Apply or Cancel option. This is very important to not. You must either save or cancel to return to the previous page. Do not ever use your back button. Here's why:

Articles are stored in a database and as such when someone is editing an article no one else should be able edit it so it gets locked by the system to the user who has it opened. So of admin is editing an article everyone else will see it as locked.

If you back out of the editing using your back button the server is left thinking you are still editing the article because you did not give it a specific command to save or cancel. The owner reserves the right to go back in but no one else.

You can restore everything to a normal state by using the Global Check-in under the Tools menu.

For more info please read the documentation at http://docs.joomla.org/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JoomlaServices :: support, hosting & development of Joomla websites
http://www.joomlaservices.ca
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nemesiss
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Nemesiss » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:45 pm

That was an extremely helpful piece of information and when I did the global check-in, it checked in alot of articles. Thank you very much for that tip.

I'll have to research the issue a little further. I have just recently installed JoomlaPack to backup my site but it's not working as it should, and locks up on random parts of the site. I wonder if that caused those articles to be checked out, because some of them I never edited before so I don't know why there were checked out.

Thanks for your response, it was very helpful.

Cheers!

jservices
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jservices » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:52 pm

I can't say for sure but I strongly doubt JoomlaPack opens articles and leaves them unchecked in doing its thing. Depending on your settings it backs up your files and database. It has no business opening up articles.
JoomlaServices :: support, hosting & development of Joomla websites
http://www.joomlaservices.ca

Return to “Administration 1.5”