After Upgrade - blank page in the front and backend!

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ebodesign
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

After Upgrade - blank page in the front and backend!

Post by ebodesign » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:44 pm

Hi,

I have just upgraded my Joomla 1.0.7 website to 1.0.13.

I followed the instructions (backing up the site, set it to offline, copy patch joomla upgrade 1.0.7 to 1.0.13) but after I finished I am getting a blank page in the frontend and backend of the site.

Can anyone help please!

Thanks.
ebo

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: After Upgrade - blank page in the front and backend!

Post by leolam » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:30 am

did you overwrite coincidentally your configuration.php?
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

ebodesign
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ebodesign » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:56 am

No, I didn't, the configuration.php is the same file.
I use joomlaCloner to clone the site to a backup directory in the root. After testing the site to make sure its been cloned and working from the backup (http://www.maysite.com/backup/) then I have copied the pache Joomla 1.0.7 ---> 1.0.13

Once I have done this I am getting is a blank page when I go to view http://www.maysite.com/backup
I can see the joomla login page to administrator http://www.maysite.com/backup/administrator but when I try to login I am getting a blank page instead of the administrator control panel.

I read in the form that it could possibly be an FTP problem of not uploading all the files, but I made sure that all the files were uploaded without any errors.

I am a bit lost and not sure what to do next ???
Thanks again for your help.

ebo

bwaggoner
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bwaggoner » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:32 pm

Did you solve your problem?

I noticed that you are back up and running.  I'm having the same issue and am wondering how you did it.

SuperFlies
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by SuperFlies » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:06 pm

I am also having this issue. Everything worked well with the program except now the front page is as white as the falling snow. No source or anything... any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Sparky2929
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sparky2929 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:21 pm

Yeah, I'm trying to go from 1.0.12 to 1.0.15. After the copy, not one byte of HTML is being generated. I'm doing a diff to see what could cause a catastrophic failure like this. Thank god I have my 1.0.12 backed up. Maybe I'll try going from 12 to 13 to 14 then to 15 to see what happened. :'(

Sparky2929
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sparky2929 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:55 pm

Hmmm even when I go from 1.0.12 to 1.0.13. All I get is a blank page..... :o

Sparky2929
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sparky2929 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:45 am

Ok, kinda embarrassing, but maybe this will help someone else.

I have Joomla running on MAMP on OSX. The instructions to upgrade Joomla are pretty simple, just copy paste the files into the root directory, and done.

Unlike Windows XP/Vista, copying a folder that has the same name as the destination folder results in the complete replacement and destruction of the destination folder. Simply put, OSX doesn't believe in merging/overwriting specific files in subdirectories. you have to either use rsync or some other merge app to do this.

So I just dragged everything to my VMWare Windows session, and did the "normal" merge there. So would be nice if the official patch FAQ sticky would throw a hint about this...

x126
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by x126 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:13 pm

Did anyone solve this blank white page issue?

I am runing the same site in 2 locations

1 uses a temp URL and the OTHER an IP

the IP version works fine -
But the temp url version has a blank white page on the front end - but the admin area works perfectly

any insight would be appreciated

parajoom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by parajoom » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:06 am

I moved a site online after creating it in my local WAMP. Later I encoutered an error message, for which i found the solution in the forum to change the absolute path in the configuation.php. However, now the error lines have disappeared get nothing but a WHITE blank page in both frontend and backend. Any assistance to overcome this is highly appreciated
Thanks in advance
PARAjoom

x126
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by x126 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:51 am

For me the issue was a module table in the DB - I dropped them from the DB and had to reinstall a few modules

hope that helps a bit

xiphias
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by xiphias » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:22 pm

Still no one with a good sollution for the blank administrator after login? All I see here is a lot of people with the problem but no fixes.

I recently moved my site from one server to a new server. Frontend works fine, administrator login is shown, enter my details and all I get is a blank page without any source.

I then checked my configuration.php and changed the $mosConfig_absolute_path and $mosConfig_cachepath to the new servers file locations. Still no succes. I then applied the 1.0.13 -> 1.0.15 patch but also no result.

Logging in on the frontend and editing content there works fine, but I can't add new items or do any super administration.

Any ideas?
Last edited by xiphias on Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

xiphias
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by xiphias » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:36 am

Well, found out what our problem was. The web user didn't have access to the php sessions folder. we created a sessions folder within the php folder and gave everyone FC on the sessions folder and now the Administrator works fine.

dohertyboy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dohertyboy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:11 pm

Hello,

I am also getting a similar problem after moving site on my site. It was done with SHL script and I can confirm that all files have made the move. Originally I didn't move the database as I was told that since it was on the same server, it wouldn't be necessary. To cross it out as a potential solution, I made a new database in the profile on Plesk and populated it with all the data.

>> still getting a white page on index page, can load up the administrator page, however once details are entered - I transfer to another white page. (no source code available either_)

Have now had to put up a temp, index.html page so the site looks live.

I am desperate to resolve this issue but as yet can not and probably will not find it alone. It seems that this has happened to a few people and would therefore probably be a good idea if one of the joomla admins could post some clues as to why or how this happens with recommendation as to how to resolve it.

Migrating and upgrading Joomla always seems like a daunting issue

elproducto
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by elproducto » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:41 pm

I think it has something to do with the permissions. I had a problem where I was unable to view the menus at the top of when logged into Joomla Administrator. So I changed permission to all the files in my Joomla folder to 755 and now my site is coming up blank also.

pintobuck
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by pintobuck » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:56 am

I upgraded from v.1.0.12 to v.1.0.15 and had a somewhat similar problem.
I found my problem was that I had copied 3 index pages from the upgrade patch to the wrong location. I had copied Administration index pages (index.php, index2.php, index3.php) over my front end index page. Once I corrected that and got all the index pages in their correct location, both my front end and administration displayed properly.

aotash
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by aotash » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:58 pm

I had same problem once: After migrating to new host my joomla frontend show blank page but backend show normal. I changed select box in backend:

Global Configuration - Server - Server Settings - Error Reporting to Maximum.

And refreshed my frontend. Now I can see PHP notice and warning error reports. It said that some files missed in some directories. I upload missed files and problem was solved.

May it helps, try :)

Varsys
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Varsys » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:10 am

Try upgrading to the newest version. It will reset configuration files and update system files. That solved my problem!

florian g
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by florian g » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:25 pm

Thanks Aotash.
I did what you said and some module's php files where wrong.
I deleted and copied again and my site appears from that blank page.
I spent a whole day trying to move a site from a server to another.
Thanks again.

daksys
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by daksys » Mon May 25, 2009 2:55 am

... This is just so stupid !!!
After a minor upgrade, got the totally blank front-end and back-end pages, not even a login...
After hours browsing the forums, poking the config file and re-loading the entire website I finally found that there was two pages a the root directory and /administrator directory called index.html (zero bytes).

Guess what, when your browser try to access the site, by default it process the .html instead of the .php
Simply removed those two files and .. Tadaaa.. The sites showed up !!!

Hope it helps 8)

[s2jc]hyp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by [s2jc]hyp » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi. Yesterday I got a blank page after I transferred my website to another host. Did a couple of searches and found out (finally!) how to turn on maximum error reporting for php. in the administrator site->global configuration->server->error reporting should be set to maximum. Then you can see exactly what's the reason for the malfunction.

In my case, as usually happens when transferring between different hosts, I had a "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR..." due to incompatibility between php4 and php5 when it comes to referencing a property of an object that is returned from a method of a certain class. for example when checking for current menu in the index file of the template I have:

Code: Select all

$menu = & JSite::getMenu();
if($menu->getActive()->id!='28') // errors out with unexpected T_OBJECT...
because php4 doesn't suppport the ()-> syntax the solution is to assign the returned object to a temporary variable:

Code: Select all

$temp =  $menu->getActive();
if($temp->id!='28')
Wish all you guys less debugging time. Cheers!

tservers
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tservers » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:05 am

x126 wrote:For me the issue was a module table in the DB - I dropped them from the DB and had to reinstall a few modules

hope that helps a bit
After two weeks off and on searching and trying to fix my blank control panel, I found the problem. It was just like the post from the quote above for me. It was a module that caused the problem.

The module that caused my problem was Missing Metadata Items. The module isn't faulty, it's just that I had too many articles that had missing metadata. I get hundreds of articles submitted to my site per day, and the log in the control panel just got too large.

So, if you can't seem to fix your blank admin control panel, then you'll need to recall if you're using any modules in the control panel that may be getting big in the database. If you suspect a module, then delete any tables for that module, then refresh the admin page again. It worked for me.

Hope that helps!

dunixi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dunixi » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:11 pm

It's Conflict between your module.. try to disable it.
i have the same problem, the problem is module from jomsocial connect and JFB connect, simply disable one of it, and it works :)

templetv
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by templetv » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:57 pm

I would just like to add my 2 cents in hopes that this solution will come up more quickly in the searches for others who may have found themselves in this situation for another reason.

I was cleaning up my Joomla installation by deleting components I am not using anymore. The front end of the website went blank. After much worry and searching, and expecting to have to run a restore from the backup on the server, I discovered this post. Turning the error reporting to maximum revealed the solution when I tried to load the site, so thank you for that solution!

If you have 3rd party components installed and decide to remove them, be wary of any modules and mambots that might be installed that are dependent on that component. You will have to remove them as well to keep the front end up and running.

That said, and relieved to have figured it out and thanks to the forums for the info - I find it kind of surprising that one errant mambot looking for a component that wasn't even published before I deleted it could bring the whole thing to the blank page state. Isn't that something that the system could send me an email about without crashing the whole site?? Just a thought.

Thanks for the help!

jonnyjii
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jonnyjii » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:33 am

Well I don't know there are many pro out in the world and they can't provide a solution....anyway no matter what you do - upgrade from old version, your website just show blank, your admin page show blank after login; then just do this

Access your MySQL or PhPMYAdmin....find the databse structure
Make a Back UP, do not blame me.

1. Drop the Table "jos_core_acl_aro", "jos_core_acl_aro_groups", "jos_core_acl_aro_sections"

Run this SQL:

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `jos_core_acl_aro` (
`id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
`section_value` varchar(240) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`value` varchar(240) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`order_value` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`name` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`hidden` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
UNIQUE KEY `__section_value_value_aro` (`section_value`(100),`value`(100)),
KEY `jos_gacl_hidden_aro` (`hidden`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=50 ;

--
-- Dumping data for table `jos_core_acl_aro`
--

INSERT INTO `jos_core_acl_aro` (`id`, `section_value`, `value`, `order_value`, `name`, `hidden`) VALUES
(10, 'users', '62', 0, 'Administrator', 0);

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `jos_core_acl_aro_groups` (
`id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
`parent_id` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`name` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`lft` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`rgt` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`value` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
KEY `jos_gacl_parent_id_aro_groups` (`parent_id`),
KEY `jos_gacl_lft_rgt_aro_groups` (`lft`,`rgt`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=31 ;

--
-- Dumping data for table `jos_core_acl_aro_groups`
--

INSERT INTO `jos_core_acl_aro_groups` (`id`, `parent_id`, `name`, `lft`, `rgt`, `value`) VALUES
(17, 0, 'ROOT', 1, 22, 'ROOT'),
(28, 17, 'USERS', 2, 21, 'USERS'),
(29, 28, 'Public Frontend', 3, 12, 'Public Frontend'),
(18, 29, 'Registered', 4, 11, 'Registered'),
(19, 18, 'Author', 5, 10, 'Author'),
(20, 19, 'Editor', 6, 9, 'Editor'),
(21, 20, 'Publisher', 7, 8, 'Publisher'),
(30, 28, 'Public Backend', 13, 20, 'Public Backend'),
(23, 30, 'Manager', 14, 19, 'Manager'),
(24, 23, 'Administrator', 15, 18, 'Administrator'),
(25, 24, 'Super Administrator', 16, 17, 'Super Administrator');

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `jos_core_acl_aro_sections` (
`section_id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
`value` varchar(230) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`order_value` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`name` varchar(230) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`hidden` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
PRIMARY KEY (`section_id`),
UNIQUE KEY `jos_gacl_value_aro_sections` (`value`),
KEY `jos_gacl_hidden_aro_sections` (`hidden`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=11 ;

--
-- Dumping data for table `jos_core_acl_aro_sections`
--

INSERT INTO `jos_core_acl_aro_sections` (`section_id`, `value`, `order_value`, `name`, `hidden`) VALUES
(10, 'users', 1, 'Users', 0);

OpusLogic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by OpusLogic » Fri May 07, 2010 7:23 pm

A blank page is still an error.

In that case, to find out why, do following:

1. Check server error logs (not access logs) if you have access to them. (cPanel or other control panels often allow this)

2. Go to Joomla Administration -> Global configuration and enable Error Reporting to Maximum, you can also turn on debugging. – try the action again – if you still get a blank page then go to 3.

3. Put the following code at the END of the configuration.php file BEFORE the closing ?>

ini_set( 'display_errors', true ); error_reporting( E_ALL );

4. Check the source of the white page – there might be still some HTML/Errors in the Page Source (Look in your web browser for the “View Source” option). But probably the error will appear, no need to get into the source code.

One of these should give you a nice detailed error message – which you can either discuss in forums or Google to find a solution.

Remember this: A White Page is just an Error Page where the error message has been supressed by your configuration.

In my case the ghostly blank page, ocurred at the end of the joomla 1.5.17 installation process. So I did step 3 and get this (in plesk environment, it is almost the same in cpanel):

Fatal error: Class 'JUserHelper' not found in /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/plugins/authentication/joomla.php on line 86

I spent two days investigating what "pros" will never tell you: due to a number of reasons the archive "helper.php" is missing or corrupted. If corrupted, only shows this code: <html><body bgcolor="#FFFFFF"></body></html>. Just replace it with the new one from your joomla unziped package. It is located in libraries/joomla/user/helper.php

If you got the blank page after installing components or plugins, well that's a different story, but get the error is displayed will be helpful to find a solution.

Share the knowledge!!

thoan02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thoan02 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Just wanted to post my experience in case it helps anyone.

I designed my site locally and uploaded it to a godaddy hosted site. The administrator backend worked fine but the front end was blank. Page Source was very short and was not from my site. I changed permissions, re-uploaded the site, etc. Nothing. I even tried turning the error reporting up as mentioned above. Still nothing.

I check the godaddy account and noticed it was using PHP 4.0. I had used PHP 5.0 when designing my site so on a whim I told godaddy to upgrade to PHP 5. Suddenly the site started working.

Hope this helps someone else.

ardyferdiansyah
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ardyferdiansyah » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:53 pm

try to re-upload you're database....
its work for me

wiktorg
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wiktorg » Tue May 03, 2011 6:58 pm

For the past day I struggled with the same or similar problem. Basically I could access the frontend and backend login page but not the http://...../administrator/index.php page. It came up absolutely blank in FFox and Chrome, in IE 8 it came back with an error 'Could not display page'.

The funny thing was that after logging on to the backend I could manually change the URL to a specific .../administrator/subpage and then all worked fine. As soon as I tried to go to the dashboard or control panel (i.e. http://...../administrator/index.php or http://...../administrator/) I was again getting the blank page.

Tried some of the solutions I found on the web but nothing helped. I then recalled that I played with settings a while ago and switched the 'GZIP Page Comperession' option under 'Configuration -> Server'. So I logged on to the administrator panel and then went directly to the configuration page URL http://.../administrator/index.php?option=com_config and switched the 'GZIP' option to 'No'.

This solved the problem for me. I can again access the dashboard :)))

Hope it helps all the other adventurous Joomla beginners playing around with the settings too much.

guatebus
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by guatebus » Tue May 17, 2011 8:28 pm

You can set the error_reporting property on the configuration file to 'maximum' reporting by setting its value there to 6135. This should show you the error now (instead of just the blank screen).

In my case, after seeing that the error was related to the mbstring.func_overload, I went to my php.ini and set this value from the original (7) to zero (0). This fixed the blank screens for me.

Hope it helps someone

Return to “Upgrading - 1.0.x”