Discussion about : Joomla! 1.1 — Developer Power, User Excitement

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
LoReal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Discussion about : Joomla! 1.1 — Developer Power, User Excitement

Post by LoReal » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:05 am

I'm impressed you guys really great peoples :) makin' all in best quality for free!
If joomla will  cost $ - i will pay without using any warez :P this work as you do really cost big money.
Joomla CMS looking as little OS in web with it can be possible many things :) Big Thanks!

I have little question:
Multisite - this mean multilanguage? if yes, it will possible to import my current mambelfish db?

Sorry i'm no american :P sorry for bad english

Shd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Shd » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:35 am

Joomla goes big, and developing team does great.

Congrats to everyone, i can't wait to using it

stingrey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by stingrey » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:09 pm

exsol wrote: I am hopping though that after this structural change - it will become the foundation for new releases. Because in the commercial world all subsiquent releases are based on the primary code. Structure changes only happen with a new version release. This will help us a lot on the webmaster and maintaince side.
This is indeed how the Joomla! development cycle operates.

Once 1.1.0 is released as `Stable`, than the 1.1.x code becomes the the `Stable` base.
The 1.0.x code base is `retired` and no other updates will be made for this code base apart from any Security Fixes.

The `Stability Team` will then shift its operational focus to the 1.1.x code base and will work to make it more stable and mnore secure.   
This then means that Stability releases 1.1.1, 1.1.2, etc will follow.  Stability Releases containing only bug fix and scurity fix work and no new features or code refactoring.  In exactly the same vein as the 1.0.x Stability and Security releases (1.0.1 and the upcoming 1.0.6).

The `Development` team then shifts its focus to building the 1.2.x codebase.  Which will contain the `heavy` code work and will go through a complete development cycle, SVN -> alpha -> beta -> Stable.

=========================

The above procedure is one of the major changes we made to how we operate when we became Joomla!

To provide the `Stability` work as separate to `Development` work, thus ensure we continually are working to increase the quality of the Stable build, and push the boundaries in a separate Development build.

=========================

This information will be made available properly in a central location on our sites in due course.
Last edited by stingrey on Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rey Gigataras
http://www.wizmediateam.com <-- great team of talented Web Designers and Programmers!
http://about.me/reygigataras <-- About Me :)
Partner, Business Development & Project Manager, Event Manager, Sports Coach :D

guilliam
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by guilliam » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:03 pm

<<-- freakin excited for the 1.1! :D
"I was one of those who wondered why people would pay so much $$$$ to do something that was so much fun!" -R. Harkrider, Fortran Code Engr.

http://www.joomlaconsultancy.net

StarWolf
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by StarWolf » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:55 pm

Are you guys ever going to include forums such as SMF or phpBB and a gallery such as coppermine and/or Gallery2. If you did it would be tremendously helpful and me love you long time.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:08 pm

Not very likely. There are very good forums out there, a number of these can be integrated with bridges. There is always has to be a balance between functionality and 'less is more'. The more functionality in the core, the harder it gets to maintain everything.

diegolaz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by diegolaz » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:24 pm

Forums and galleries are relatively easy to add.... it's better if it keeps separated...and you don't get stuck with one if the other get's much better... isn't that the point??  ;D

zergemedve
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zergemedve » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:27 pm

vavroom wrote:
nengrong wrote: The incoming new release will be alpha-2 or belta?
The next release of 1.1 will be alpha2.  Neither alpha1, alpha2, or even beta are recommended on live sites.
I know that lot's of us are waiting 1.1.. yes, it will contains plenty of very usefull new functions.. but Ii think lots of us first need a not english backend.  I mean every new joomla version contains great new stuffs, but nobody have time enough to translate all the files for every version and thats why I'm not upgrading.. so if I translate 1.1 alpha backend, could I use it for the 1.1 stable?
Last edited by zergemedve on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tonyskyday
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tonyskyday » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:31 pm

1.1 is looking very nice, and the stability element Stingrey mentioned with Joomla has really been a godsend. If you were around at the originial release of Mambo 4.5, you know how quickly things changed. And, while it was exciting and many great improvements were added, it seemed like every release broke 3rd party code.

Jinx
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jinx » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:14 pm

zergemedve wrote: so if I translate 1.1 alpha backend, could I use it for the 1.1 stable?
Simple answer, yes, the translation is done for 90%, there might be some smaller changes but it will be easy to change our translations using the language editor we are releasing as an official extension.
Johan Janssens - Joomla Co-Founder, Lead Developer of Joomla 1.5

http://www.joomlatools.com - Joomla extensions that just work

archangel519
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by archangel519 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:58 pm

In the roadmap for Joomla! 1.1 it states that Userbots for extending authentication methods will be included.  Does this mean that it will include a way to authenticate against an LDAP server, similiar to the LDAP Hack for Mambo? 
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Jinx
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jinx » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:00 am

Correct indeed ! We also created a LDAP plugin to spare u the hastle ;)

mediamagnate
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mediamagnate » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:06 am

Jinx wrote: Correct indeed ! We also created a LDAP plugin to spare u the hastle ;)
Jinx, when are you going to stop giving ALL the secrets away :) ?
Joomla is a project, not a product! www.nooku.org

Jinx
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jinx » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:02 am

Hehe, that's wasn't a secret ;) I have some other surpises up my sleeve .... 8)

localhost
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by localhost » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:22 am

Jinx wrote: Hehe, that's wasn't a secret ;) I have some other surpises up my sleeve .... 8)
You mean like the multisite capability that so many people are looking for?! 8)  I'll smile too then.

DJ RRebel
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by DJ RRebel » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:14 pm

Sigh ... I know you guys hate questions like this .. but I'm a little new to all this .. plus I've got a few things on my site's 'to do' list to keep me busy a few weeks anyhow.  So anyhow ..

What is the general target time for a 1.1 release?  I'm not asking for a specific date .. AND .. I totally understand that a small new issue could add weeks ... but .. based on what is currently known, are we talking weeks or months or more likely the end of the year?

I have a very large and extensive site (mainly a vB forum based community) .. and since I'm not in an absolute 'urgent' rush to add a CMS, I'd rather wait for 1.1 if the ETA is a month or two.  But if it's more likely only for a summer release (in the northern hemisphere .. lol), then I'd start making plans to go with 1.0.5 when I've finished the other things on my 'to do' list in a month or so.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:28 pm

The ETA is first quarter of this year, also shown on the roadmap here: http://www.joomla.org/content/view/14/28/. There should be another Alpha and Beta before going stable in the end.

diegolaz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by diegolaz » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:29 pm

vavroom wrote: The next release of 1.1 will be alpha2.  Neither alpha1, alpha2, or even beta are recommended on live sites.
Ok, if I'm building a new site that won't go live for a while...and for the moment it will have simple content... should I start with the alpha version and then update to the stable version or stay with 1.0.5 and then upgrade?

Thanks

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:54 am

diegolaz wrote:
vavroom wrote: The next release of 1.1 will be alpha2.  Neither alpha1, alpha2, or even beta are recommended on live sites.
Ok, if I'm building a new site that won't go live for a while...and for the moment it will have simple content... should I start with the alpha version and then update to the stable version or stay with 1.0.5 and then upgrade?

Thanks
Simply said, *never* use beta and even more alpha for a real site.
Better start with 1.0.5 or rather 1.0.6 (coming soon) and then upgrade to 1.1 when  it is final release. ;)
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

aravot
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by aravot » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:57 am

Jinx wrote:
zergemedve wrote: so if I translate 1.1 alpha backend, could I use it for the 1.1 stable?
Simple answer, yes, the translation is done for 90%, there might be some smaller changes but it will be easy to change our translations using the language editor we are releasing as an official extension.
When will this language extension be release, any chance of alpha or beta version it will make my life easier translating.

ez2ask
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ez2ask » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:12 am

Simply said, *never* use beta and even more alpha for a real site.
Better start with 1.0.5 or rather 1.0.6 (coming soon) and then upgrade to 1.1 when  it is final release. ;)
When will 1.0.6 be released? I am using 1.0.5 on my local machine now, have not using it for the real site yet. Because I heard that 1.0.6 will be released soon, but how soon will be? How long am I going to wait?  :'( I am a little bit rush and need to build a real site as soon as possible. 8) Could any one of the team members give me some idea of the 1.0.6 released date? or tell me like a few weeks, end of Jan., a few months......something like that will be ok, too.

I am looking forward to see 1.1 releases soon in the future. Thanks for the whole team and thanks for all your efforts!!! Really appreciate!!! :-*

diegolaz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by diegolaz » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:33 am

From Roadmap:
Joomla! 1.0.6 -->  Jan 2006 To be confirmed

Joomla! 1.1 --> Q1 2006

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:55 am

aravot wrote:
Jinx wrote:
When will this language extension be release, any chance of alpha or beta version it will make my life easier translating.
It is forecasted as a part of alpha2.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:32 am

@ez2ask

Joomla 1.0.6 will be confirmed once they think it is ready. There have been negative reactions in the past with set dates for patches. Patching Joomla 1.0.5 to 1.0.6 isn't hard, just copying over the files in the patch. The database doesn't get any changes normally with patches.

hectorvector
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hectorvector » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:26 am

What about PDF? It will work with utf-8?

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:41 am

Looks like David has found a  ;) trick, yes

davidgal
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by davidgal » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:10 pm

hectorvector wrote: What about PDF? It will work with utf-8?
I will be included before beta is released
David Gal

FuzzieDice
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:36 am

First I'd like to say Congratulations on the new alpha.  :)

I'm new here and I was using Mambo for a little while. I tried Joomla 1.0.5 and am going to try and use it on my 4 domains that need a CMS. One in particular I need to get started on soon so that my site staff can start putting stuff from our forum into the web site.

The one thing I had problems in Mambo with was the fact I couldn't get a "safe mode" patch to work. My hosting company (as does many I'm finding) are keeping 'safe mode' turned on. Even with FTP, often modules, components and mambots couldn't find the XML file or whatever, and I'd be stuck with files that were owned by Mambo which I had to email the server admin to delete for me. From what I'm reading, some of the new features of 1.1 and am seeing that this may be resolved in the new version. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping.

I hope that upgrading from 1.0.5 (or 1.0.6 if I upgrade to it before 1.1 is stable) will not be such a chore and that nothing serious breaks or to the point where I have to wait for a patch to fix it. That's my biggest concern.

I also loved Mambo's template format. It was easy to create a custom template for a site. I am glad Joomla currently is using the same templates.

The Developer enhancements and API documentation will be most welcome. I know a little php and have hand-modded phpBB forums, wrote tutorials on how to use php (just basics), etc. I'm looking forward to trying to create some new Components, Mambots (shouldn't the be called 'Joombots' now? ;) ) and Modules.

I think I'll take the plunge and do my sites in Joomla and try to work with this system. It's good to see you have an active forum and community here. :)

mediamagnate
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mediamagnate » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:43 pm

FuzzieDice wrote: I think I'll take the plunge and do my sites in Joomla and try to work with this system. It's good to see you have an active forum and community here. :)
Great to see you here. Enjoy the ride over the next couple of months :)
Joomla is a project, not a product! www.nooku.org

FuzzieDice
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:35 am

I assume I'll need to fasten my seatbelt. ;) With 4 sites that tentatively will be using the Joomla CMS system, and each on also may have a phpBB forum (two already do), I'm sure keeping up with updates and upgrades will get quite interesting. :)

Return to “Announcements Discussions”