Publishing articles from the front end, written by authors

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
lharley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Publishing articles from the front end, written by authors

Post by lharley » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:56 am

Hi,

Been searching the forums but cannot find the awnser, I think it is to obvious that I don't see it.

How can a user with publisher rights, publish an article written by another user with author rights? and where are the articles to be found?
All to be done on the front-end.

Working with Joomla 1.5.10

From the Joomla Documentation:
Authors- Can submit content for approval in the front end only. A publisher or higher must approve new content before it goes live.

Editors - Can submit or edit existing content, front end only. A publisher or higher must approve new pages before they go live, updates to existing content go live immediately.

Publishers - Can publish plus do any of the above, front end only.

catapult
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Publishing articles from the front end, written by authors

Post by catapult » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:07 pm

I'm not sure that it is so obvious. I too have been searching the web for an answer to the same question.

Following on from what lharley has said, if there is no frontend administration for articles authored by other users what is the point of the Editor and Publisher user type?

I can see the use for the Author type with only the permission to write an article. I can also see the use of a slightly more advance user that is able to write and publish an article. So if a user has to login to the backend to edit and publish other users articles what is the point of the editor user type?

It seems to me that if there isn't a frontend system for managing other users articles the frontend user types should be restructured. If I am totally wrong, please correct me and tell me how it's done.

Cheers

lharley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lharley » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:27 am

I am beginning to believe that no one knows the answer to this.....

Is there a good extension which does the job???

amulet8
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by amulet8 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:39 am

Hi lharley.
If a user is set up as a publisher, they have default permission to publish or unpublish articles created by editors, when logged in from the front end. When the user with publisher rights opens such an article in the front end, their is an option to publish, yes or no.
Editors, however, cannot choose to publish or unpublish articles created by publishers, the option is not shown.

catapult
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by catapult » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:16 am

Hi amulet8, thanks for the information.

Could you explain how a publisher goes about viewing an article submitted by an author or editor? I think this is the bit of information we are missing. Is there a link that shows all articles in list form in the frontend as for the backend?

lharley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lharley » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:55 am

Hi amulet8,

I understand what the role is of the particular user definitions but as catapult also points out:

How does a publisher get access to the articles (front end) and who does he knows when an article is waiting for submission (front end)?

Cheers

amulet8
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by amulet8 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:04 pm

When your user logs in at the front end (which requires you as admin to set up a log in menu item, or a login module linked to a menu item), the website opens up as it is viewed by the public, with an icon for each article for logged in users to select, in order to edit. Clicking on the icon opens up the editor window, with options for editing dependent on the users rights.
Try it and see.

It is possible that there is a Joomla extension which will display a list of all the articles etc. to a logged in user, but I haven't explored that.
Good luck

amulet8
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by amulet8 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:13 pm

lharley, I think this post
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 8#p1661388
will answer your question

catapult
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by catapult » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:22 pm

That article explains how to write and publish an article in one step as a publisher. It does not explain how to list/view articles submitted by authors or editors. lharley's original question still stands. How do you list/view other users articles for publishing? This seems like such a fundamental component, someone must know the answer.

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by dhuelsmann » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:44 pm

Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

catapult
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by catapult » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:15 pm

That's basically what I've been looking for. I'm not to keen on seeing the complete article content in the listing but that's a quick fix.

Thank God I'm not going to have to write it myself now ;)

Many thanks dhuelsmann.

amulet8
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by amulet8 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:17 pm

I am sorry if I don't understand your question fully, we all use different terms for things, and there are many aspects to your question!

I know that if an author logs on to my site and selects the menu item I created for submitting an article, the author can write an article in the editor, and then can save it.

I am then notified, as administrator, when I am logged on in the administrator panel of my Joomla sites, (tools/read messages). I can then check in my article manager and I will see the same article listed there, unpublished, and therefore waiting for my permission/ approval. If I want the article to appear on my site, I can enable it by publishing it.

I cannot speak for everyone, but most of us learn through trial and error, reading documentation and picking up as much from these forums as we can. It can be very frustrating from time to time, but great when someone points you in the right direction!
Hope this helps you ???

And there it is....the extension you were looking for, am going to look at it myself too. Thanks dhuelsmann!

lharley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lharley » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:39 am

Thanks dhuelsmann
Works perfect, but is there also a means to get a message automatically to the publishers that there is a article waiting for submission?

@ amulet8: it is a publisher that does not have access to the backend and therefore can not read the messages in the backend. The client does not want to give them access to the back-end. (not even as a Manager)

catapult
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by catapult » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi all,

I have been playing with the component that dhuelsmann suggested, "camelcitycontent", and have modified it quite abit.

I have added the ability to sort the data by columns (ASC or DESC). Plus a few other minor changes. I have sent my version to Noel Hunter for his viewing/assesment. Here's a snippet of that email:

"Here are the changes I’ve made and features I’ve added (this is all on the frontend, haven’t touched the backend):

1. Restructured the table to display the “edit, delete, mark” in a more logical fashion (I know our users ;0) ).
2. Show actual user name rather than alias as alias could be anything.
3. Changed the submission for marked items (basically exchanged the select for a hidden input).
4. Tightened user access. So:
a. An author only see’s their own articles and can delete them.
b. An editor can see all, can edit all but can only delete their own articles.
c. A publisher can see all, edit all and delete all articles.
5. Added css for easier template integration (those technically aware will be able to modify the css to their hearts content. Otherwise, will still just take the default site style).
6. Added some images. Users like pictures lol.
7. And the main reason for my changes – Sort columns ASC or DESC."

If Noel doesn't like the changes and chooses not to post an updated version I'll see if I can add a link to it.

Watch this space! :D

lharley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lharley » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:19 pm

Cool!

litebkt
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by litebkt » Wed May 06, 2009 6:50 pm

Catapult, I sure would like a copy of your "new" extension if it is available. Have you posted it somewhere?

Michelle
catapult wrote:Hi all,

I have been playing with the component that dhuelsmann suggested, "camelcitycontent", and have modified it quite abit.

I have added the ability to sort the data by columns (ASC or DESC). Plus a few other minor changes. I have sent my version to Noel Hunter for his viewing/assesment. Here's a snippet of that email:

"Here are the changes I’ve made and features I’ve added (this is all on the frontend, haven’t touched the backend):

1. Restructured the table to display the “edit, delete, mark” in a more logical fashion (I know our users ;0) ).
2. Show actual user name rather than alias as alias could be anything.
3. Changed the submission for marked items (basically exchanged the select for a hidden input).
4. Tightened user access. So:
a. An author only see’s their own articles and can delete them.
b. An editor can see all, can edit all but can only delete their own articles.
c. A publisher can see all, edit all and delete all articles.
5. Added css for easier template integration (those technically aware will be able to modify the css to their hearts content. Otherwise, will still just take the default site style).
6. Added some images. Users like pictures lol.
7. And the main reason for my changes – Sort columns ASC or DESC."

If Noel doesn't like the changes and chooses not to post an updated version I'll see if I can add a link to it.

Watch this space! :D

catapult
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by catapult » Fri May 08, 2009 12:12 pm

I have just been sent the URL to the latest Beta release of CamelCityContent. This release contains the changes I listed in my last post.

http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/camelcityconten/frs/

Enjoy!

mcapelati
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mcapelati » Sat May 16, 2009 4:55 pm

catapult wrote:I have just been sent the URL to the latest Beta release of CamelCityContent. This release contains the changes I listed in my last post.

Enjoy!
This is a very nice extension.

Should be part of Joomla! Core. It's just to make some aesthetic adjustments, and some minor improovements, like: to have "published: Yes / No" filter on the list (showing "unpubllished articles" by default).

By the way: how could I have translation for this component? I could contribute to Brazilian-Portuguese translation.
:: Marcello Capelati ::

HansV
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by HansV » Tue May 19, 2009 11:14 am

This is great!
I was looking for the same functionality and supposed it was part of Joomla core.

Two more features would be nice IMO:
- mark an article for archive (this looks not too difficult)
- make JoomFish translation managment interface available via front-end (that is another story I suppose)

mcapelati
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mcapelati » Tue May 19, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi there,

I'd like to suggest this nice extension as complimentary:
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... 78/details

It allows you to create front-end "Article Submission forms" that are specific
to an existing category or section - because Joomla's default allows users choose for witch category/section he/she will submit, and sometimes you dont want this happen.

Some time ago, I was using 2 very good extension for Joomla 1.0 version, but unfortunately, they cant be find anymore: com_contentpublisher and mod_publisher. I still have them. If anybody wants to take e look and upgrade it to 1.5, would be nice - I could put them here, just ask me.
:: Marcello Capelati ::

dannygsam
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dannygsam » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:50 am

I tried all the Content Submission components available in Joomla. Nothing is professional and user friendly. Even the commercial ones are good. I just want Authors to also view other articles they have published. A sort of interface for them to edit profile, check the articles uploaded so far etc. is it possible?

bunglesmate
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bunglesmate » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm still quite a newbie trying to get a charity site online. As I can be away from good internet access for weeks at a time I need to subcontract the PUBLISHING of articles out without giving people access to the backend.

From reading this post -

Am I correct in understanding that it is NOT possible for a PUBLISHER to see articles submitted by AUTHORS or EDITORS when logged into the front-end?

How do AUTHORS re-edit their own articles. I couldn't find any clear advise. It seems that I would need to do a hack on the code or install some other extension. Is this correct?

At the moment I have to login to the backend as an admin dude to see unpublished articles.

I can't login into the backend as a PUBLISHER.

I would like some clear and very Mickey Mouse advise if possible.

I tried to use the extension camelcitycontent2 but only got the following error message

Parse error. syntax error, unexpected'}' in ..\components\camelcitycontent2\views\all\tmpl\default.php on line 177

When I looked at the parameters page for this extension I saw a large table. Each row was for a different article and each column is for a different attribute.

Looking down the 'created_by' or 'modified_by' attribute columns no names are listed. It looks like there is a number in the column headed 'created' and 'modified'

Share & Enjoy.

Zippy.

rgfuller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Publishing articles from the front end, written by autho

Post by rgfuller » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:53 am

Hello,
This link no longer works, and I am unable to discover which extension it refers to. Please tell me the name of the extension.

thanks

dmcss
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Publishing articles from the front end, written by autho

Post by dmcss » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:04 pm

rgfuller wrote:
Hello,
This link no longer works, and I am unable to discover which extension it refers to. Please tell me the name of the extension.

thanks
Try this:

Return to “Administration 1.5”