Email Configuration on Windows

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! site? Pop your questions in here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
honcho
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Email Configuration on Windows

Post by honcho » Sat May 12, 2007 10:55 pm

I was trying to find a simple way to configure email for Joomla on a Windows XP laptop I'm using for development and all the hints I could find involved downloading and installing mail servers.

Here's a way to configure email that will work on your development system and as well as your production system (although it may not be the most efficient way to use email on a production server)

The simple way to configure email for use on a Windows server (it should also work on Linux) is to use Joomla's Global Configuration (Site menu / Global Configuration) and then click the Mail tab. Here are the steps to follow then:

1. Set Mailer to SMTP Server. This configuration lets you use your ISP's SMTP server.

2. Set Mail From to the email address you want all email from your site to look as if it came from this address (maybe: [email protected] if you don't want replies or [email protected] -- obviously change yoursite to your site name). This address is really a Reply To address and does not have to be the email address that is used to do the actual send.

3. Set the From Name to be your Web site name or any other name you want as the user name that sent the email.

4. Make sure the Sendmail Path is empty.

5. If you ISP requires you to login in before sending email (almost all do these days) then set SMTP Auth to Yes   by clicking the radio button, otherwise click the No radio button.

6. Set the SMTP User to the real user name established at your ISP that you will use to send the email from. It is common for ISPs to require a domain name as part of the address. For example, you might set the SMTP User to [email protected]. Take care that this name will be exposed in the mail headers so you could get spam as a result. Think about setting up a NoReply user at your ISP for sending emails for which you don't want a user to reply to the sending address. This address may be the same as the Mail From address but it doesn't have to be.

7. Set the SMTP Pass to the password the user in #6 uses to sign in to retrieve email.

8. Set the SMTP Host to the SMTP host your ISP gave you. For example, smtp.yoursite.com where "yoursite.com" is replaced by your domain name. Some ISPs require you to use a different SMTP port number than the standard port 25. You can specify this by putting a colon (a : ) after the domain name and then the port number. For example, if you ISP requires you to use port 698 to retrieve email you would specify this as follows: smtp.yoursite.com:698

9. Click the Save button at the top of the page to save your configuration.

That's it. You can test the email is working by going to any news item (or any other part of your site) and click the "email" link or icon. Fill in your own email address as to where you want to send the item and the rest of the form. You should get the test message.

Hope this helps.

cgsanz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Email Configuration on Windows

Post by cgsanz » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:09 pm

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your solution, I am dealing with the same problem and will use your idea.

Regards.
Carlos

vinit_menon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vinit_menon » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:44 am

Could not instantiate mail function.

getting this error!!!!

km_soumya
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by km_soumya » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:40 pm

Hi
When i try to use PHP Mailer it gives an error 'Cannot instantiate mail function'. When i use Sendmail it says the email is sent but i never receive it on the specified email address.
I also tried SMTP server by configurating it as mentioned below but that gives and error as 'cannot connect to host'.
Would appretiate any kind of help on this.
Thanks,
Soumya

Return to “Administration - 1.0.x”