Magento Ecommerce For Joomla!

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Magento Ecommerce For Joomla!

Post by tcraw1010 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:55 pm

Did this project die ??

:(

bigodines
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by bigodines » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:05 pm

I'm waiting for magento 1.2 (as 1.1 is a nightmare to integrate with anything...)

hwevers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Magento / Joomla integration plugin available

Post by hwevers » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:26 pm

Goto www.jfusion.org.
Download and install version 1.08
Goto the developer forum and download & install the Magento plugin .08-2

Henk

yaanimai
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by yaanimai » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:47 am

I recently implemented a Magento site. It is not quite ready for business yet but I am getting close. You can view it here http://www.modsnroses.com I was able to install & configure it without the help of the expensive commercial support packages they sell even though my technical & php skills are somewhat limited. I had a big problem with processing & page load time on a shared GoDaddy Deluxe hosting account that works just fine for several of my Joomla sites. Apparently Magento is a bit of a resource hog. It was sooo sloooow it was very painful. I shopped around & tried the cheapest shared hosting account offered by http://www.aspirationhosting.com & my Magento site is fast as lightning! Aspiration Hosting supports Magento and has very good customer support.

I will investigate the JFusion & Magento integration. I have another site I need to build an ecommerce store for that already has a lot of content other than the products they carry. The site needs to be redone. A Joomla-Magento solution would be perfect for the project. It is my next project. I will let you know how it goes.

Fort
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Fort » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:28 pm

I'm very interested in how this goes myself. I've got a fledgling Joomla site going and need to tightly combine our currently ultra-crappy separate shopping site (Prostores! Someone kill me for making that decision... ).

I've been looking at Virtuemart, which has been pretty impressive, but since I started delving into Magento I am absolutely blown away by what it can do. I've got a default install on my site (which is indeed very slow, so considering moving up a tier in hosting), and it is very smooth! But if I can't get it relatively well embedded with the Joomla site (user accounts & article content), then I may just stick with Virtuemart.

Frankly, I am surprised that Magento *isn't* a Joomla project. Much of what they have on their to-do list sounds like a Joomla roadmap. Don't reinvent the wheel, fellas, just bring your shopping cart tech to Joomla!! :)

In the meantime between developer announcements, any Joomla/Virtuemart vs. Joomla + bridge + Magento information would be much appreciated.

hwevers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hwevers » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:42 pm

I'm the developer of the jfusion team responsible for the magento plugin (among other plugins). I just finished an implementation that is going "on air" very soon.
Go to http://www.reef-one.com/index.php for the joomla side of the site and to http://www.reef-one.com/store for the magento side. You can login/logout on both sides or login/logout on one side and logout/login on the other, you are always logged in and out on both sides. They are testing, but it shows the potentioal of the combination. Kayako will soon be integrated too.
Henk

pacuia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pacuia » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:09 pm

I got a bit lost here...
It seems many people r dying to get their joomla website paired with the great magento sollution but how did this story end?

Any news on this subject matter?

hwevers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hwevers » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:54 pm

The current alfa version is pretty stable and the beta version will be available december 25.You can follow the state of things at www.jfusion.org.

As far as I can see the only problem i'm having with the Magento plugin is SSL support. This will be addressed prety soon.

This says it all:

JFusion is a free GPL Extension for the award winning Content Management System (CMS) Joomla. JFusion provides universal user integration, by extending the Joomla 1.5 user authentication framework without any core hacks.

With JFusion your users can login to both Joomla and the software(s) integrated by JFusion using the same username/password. No core hacks are made to either Joomla or the integrated software(s) which has the advantage that your can upgrade your software normally without reconfiguring JFusion.

JFusion also comes with an latest activity module, that displays the latest activity on the forum in Joomla and a login module that displays the forum avatar in a Joomla login module. As development continues, we hope to a search module, a who's online module and a discussion bot.

JFusion has bi-directional user-sync, which means that users can be both imported and exported from Joomla.

Also, JFusion is an alpha release, intended to get feedback from the Joomla community. JFusion should not be used on production sites at this stage. We hope to have a beta out soon.

Henk

hwevers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hwevers » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:29 am

A complete new beta has been released. Magento support is build in, but you can also integrate bbs software with one click. All with single sign on

See www.jfusion.org

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:41 pm

I like Jfusion very much! Good idea, good choice! The incredible fact is that I didn't read the last posts thinking that no-good-news is coming... I made a mistake, wow!!
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

Bluetree
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Bluetree » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:02 pm

Can anyone tell me the difference between putting Magento in a wrapper and using the JFusion Magento bridge... Lets say I just want to manage news feeds or social networking content with Joomla, and use Magento to run the store. What's the easiest, most cost-effective way of getting this done?

Thanks for your help!

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:02 am

JFusion allows people to register in one software, then login into multiple softwares without re-registering on all individual softwares. If a person logs into Joomla, then JFusion makes sure that the user is also logged into all the other softwares (dual login).

The wrapper does nothing of the above.

Jfusion is completely free, so that makes it pretty cost-effective.

Thanks, Marius
JFusion is a revolutionary new universal user integration tool for Joomla. Visit http://www.jfusion.org for more details.

leonchaim
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by leonchaim » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:16 am

MAGENTO, MAGENTO, well its certainly an interesting piece of software, so far everyone i meet has had loads of problems getting it to run.

I want to say that all this talk about Magento being better is total rubbish, a GREAT online shop must have IMPECCABLE SUPPORT, USER INTEGRATION for reviews, ability to integrate content articles and blog entries with products, and VM plug ins allow you to plugin products into articles and blog entries, certainly helping in SEO and sale conversions.

MAGENTO is great, however with some hard work with some exceptions, VM provides an easier to manipulate template and layout, provided you can code, as well as many other near features that Magento does not. Wish list, there is a module floating around that can do that.

VM Rules and Joomla helps you sell.

VM Out.

arana
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by arana » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:03 am

well i tried both, and decided for VM, then when i finally uploaded all my tons of categories VM died on my and killed the shares hosting, definetly VM is not for a huge catalog more than 10000 items and tons of categories (automotive business) , the way VM handles categories just ate a lot of memory

enoc222
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by enoc222 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:36 am

I am Intensely interested here. i have magento store. the magento back end is the bomb! (at least for what i need) but to create the front page can be a serious nightmare. a joomla/magento combo would be worth it's weight in gold.
But thats just my two bits.
Keep going though with developing, i only wish i could help. i am just beginning in php and html

Keep us updated
Rock on

Oliver

cpetrauskas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cpetrauskas » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:11 pm

This was the subject of no small amount of discussion at J!Day Las Vegas this weekend.

I talked to Roy at Varien about it this AM and he directed me to this news:

http://opensource.jira.nl/projects/magento-bridge

Also:
http://blog.opensourcenetwork.eu/blog/p ... -in-joomla

Chris

enoc222
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by enoc222 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:27 pm

@cpetrauskas i was also at J!Day Las Vegas! it was amazing.
i found the first link as i was searching the web but, the second is new. it looks very prommising though.
i just wish there wasn't such a compatibility issue.(between Joomla and Magento)

Oliver

michaelthomsen
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by michaelthomsen » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:34 am

I really like the integration, the site is really nice and user friendly, but I can't work out how you did it. Is the store a wrapper on a joomla site? It looks very nice and behaves properly.
I am trying this, both as a joomla wrapper and jfusion, and there are some display issues. The main one is the footer area. I am just using the normal joomla wrapper for now.
http://ecohaven.com.au/online-shop/product-range
Any suggestions for improvement?
Michael
hwevers wrote:I'm the developer of the jfusion team responsible for the magento plugin (among other plugins). I just finished an implementation that is going "on air" very soon.
Go to http://www.reef-one.com/index.php for the joomla side of the site and to http://www.reef-one.com/store for the magento side. You can login/logout on both sides or login/logout on one side and logout/login on the other, you are always logged in and out on both sides. They are testing, but it shows the potentioal of the combination. Kayako will soon be integrated too.
Henk

hwevers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hwevers » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:36 am

We don't use wrappers at all. Wrappers have inherited problems, there are issues with the Joomla implementation with some browsers as well.
There is a document on what options you have with Jfusion for visual integration, but in my opinion, using external links and making the sites look the same through the CSS system is far the best.

Apart from the Magento plugin for Jfusion we now have integrated Kayako Esupport suite as well. It will soon be implemented in the reef-one site. Our sandbox is on www.biorb.fr and there you can see Kayako's integration in action. On this site is doesn't matter at all where you login or logout, you wll be logged in and out in all three sites. Magento is used as master, so registration takes place on the Magento site. Userrecords will be automatically created/updated in the background as soon as a registered user logs in to one of the sites.

Note that this behaviour is not part of Jfusion. The plain Jfusion install has one central login/logout form hosted by the Joomla site from wher you will be logged in/out to all sites. Login forms on the other sites must be hidden to the users
Henk

michaelthomsen
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by michaelthomsen » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi
I have now examined your sites again. I understand the advantages with the shared login etc.

I assume that you have chosen to use joomla for displaying the products because you can feature them with the slider, the product descriptions etc which is much easier in joomla. But I can't click on a product and be taken directly to the online store. So when I was exploring I was constantly being shunted between the two sites. And having found a product on the joomla site, I would have to manually go and find it on the store site. Wouldn't customers find that a little confusing?

Anyway, could you please explain how the menu on the Magento site is done? Is it simply the existing magento header styled to look like the joomla header? How is the menu made? Hard coded links back to the joomla site?

Ane one more question, how do you, and others feel about the Magento Enterprise development?

thank you

hwevers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hwevers » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:11 pm

I only deliver the JFusion integration tools and am not responsible for the other parts of the website. So I can't answer your questions. It wouldn't be too difficult to link from Joomla to Magento though.
If you wnat to know more about the site, you should contact the webmaster.
Henk

semaphorian
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by semaphorian » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:32 pm

Magento Version 1.3.1 Now Available at magento official website

timsolo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by timsolo » Sun May 31, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi,

Has anyone seen MageBridge for Magento and Joomla Integration?

According to the site: MageBridgeTM adds a bridge between Joomla! 1.5 and the Magento e-commerce platform. It allows for displaying MagentoTM content within the Joomla! component-area

http://www.yireo.com/software/magebridge

What puts me off is the Price Euro 195

But seems like a better idea than a wrapper in JFusion (correct me if i'm wrong)

and I'm looking forward to J! Mint
http://community.joomla.org/gsoc2009/an ... ption.html

michaelthomsen
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by michaelthomsen » Sun May 31, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi timsolo,
that is very interesting! I have decided to keep the Joomla site and Magento site separate for the time being. I purchased a joomla template and magento theme from Joomlart and did a bit of re-arranging to make them look the same. They simply have a link to each other.

Joomla site: http://www.ecohaven.com.au
Magento site http://www.ecohaven.com.au/shop

I will wait and see which becomes the best solution long term: Magebridge or J!Mint. If J!Mint can deliver a combined backend, then it is likely to be the winner, I would think. In the mean time, having separate sites is an inexpensive option which can get you up and running now.
cheers
Michael

hwevers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hwevers » Sun May 31, 2009 10:17 pm

michaelthomsen wrote:Hi timsolo,
that is very interesting! I have decided to keep the Joomla site and Magento site separate for the time being. I purchased a joomla template and magento theme from Joomlart and did a bit of re-arranging to make them look the same. They simply have a link to each other.

Joomla site: http://www.ecohaven.com.au
Magento site http://www.ecohaven.com.au/shop

I will wait and see which becomes the best solution long term: Magebridge or J!Mint. If J!Mint can deliver a combined backend, then it is likely to be the winner, I would think. In the mean time, having separate sites is an inexpensive option which can get you up and running now.
cheers
Michael
If you add the free JFusion component to Joomla you get single sign on free. (www.jfusion.org)
Henk

timsolo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by timsolo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:23 am

Yes michaelthomsen,

I too think that separating them is the best way to go for SEO purposes

The only gripe I have is the independent templates that both have which may be a problem for non-techies to make them look the same.

But in my option seems like the best way to go. If MageBridge or J! Mint concept could solve the two template looking the same then that will be cool. Or better code a similar one with out the high price tag of MageBridge. :D

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:08 am

MageBridge looks very interesting indeed, but it does not look like it will do template integrations. It does seem to provide Joomla modules to display magento activity inside Joomla and search integration.

Displaying the complete magento site inside Joomla (frameless mode like JFusion has for the forum gallery and wiki softwares), it not best suited for magento due to SEO and other reasons. It is pretty easy to make template modifications, faster and will give you better google scores. However, we have on our todo list: to provide more magento content display inside Joomla (using modules).

JFusion already has a latest activity module and search integration facilities in is core framework. It will be relatively easy to add these functions to the Magento JFusion plugin. Most likely we will provide magento content and search capabilities with JFusion soon, way before these other bridges become available in 2-3 months time.

Thanks, Marius
JFusion is a revolutionary new universal user integration tool for Joomla. Visit http://www.jfusion.org for more details.

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:44 am

After saying that frameless integration was not "on the table" for the magento JFusion plugin, one of the JFusion developers created a "universal frameless mode" as part of his MediaWiki plugin. This will have the advantage that any software integrated with JFusion can be displayed inside Joomla (including Magento). You can read more on the latest developments here:

http://www.jfusion.org/index.php/info/b ... ugins.html

Thanks, Marius

emagin
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by emagin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:38 pm

The J!Mint integration of Magento and Joomla using SOAP looks very promising.
It's still in the works but it's a Google Summer of Code 09 project so we'll see real progress soon I think.

Check out some of this info at the J Community:
http://community.joomla.org/blogs/commu ... ation.html

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:31 am

all right all of us please let's stay tuned... all seems interesting...
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”