How to Migrate Dragonfly CMS to JOOMLA 1.5, step by step

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
SpringDay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How to Migrate Dragonfly CMS to JOOMLA 1.5, step by step

Post by SpringDay » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:39 am

I hung with the Dragonfly CMS about a year longer than I truly wanted too. The main reason was my Kustom Kulture portal WorldWideRetro.com. With over 5500 members and nearly 20,000 posts I felt locked in. There was no way, I thought, to transfer all of those member's profiles and thousands of forum posts to a new CMS. I searched and searched for a Dragonfly to Joomla migration script, to no avail. But then I stumbled across an old NUKE to PHPBB2 script. It then dawned on me that I could possibly modify this to convert my Dragonfly Forum (based on phpBB) and all its members and posts over to phpBB2. If I could do that I could then use the "Convert" function built into the install script of phpBB3 and upgrade the phpBB2 to phpBB3. Then finally, use the jFusion bridge to integrate phpBB3 into Joomla 1.5, use the sync function and VIOLA! All my Dragonfly CMS members are now my JOOMLA! members and phpBB3 with my thousands of posts is fully integrated!

I know for a fact that there are MANY webmasters out there in the same predicament so I am going to lay out my step by step to save you the headache.

You will need the following, JOOMLA! 1.5, the JFusion Component for JOOMLA!, phpBB2, phpBB3, and finally the conv_drag_to_phpbb2.php script.

Please note, I started with a Dragonfly 9.0.6.1 installation with the standard forum built in. If you have ForumsPro installed, uninstall it before you start. I am not sure how much the forum structure changed on later versions of Dragonfly so be prepared to do some modification or retro-convert your Dragonfly back to 9.0.6.1 all together.

1. Install and setup JOOMLA! 1.5 on your server.
2. Install phpBB2 on your server and do not modify. You can put it in a different folder from the Dragonfly CMS. In my case, the CMS was in the root of the server, so I just simply put the forum in a folder called phpbb2. Take note of database names, passwords and prefixes.
3. Install phpBB3 but DO NOT DELETE the install file yet. You can put it in a different folder from the Dragonfly CMS. In my case, the CMS was in the root of the server, so I just simply put the forum in a folder called phpbb3. Take note of database names, passwords and prefixes.
4. Once you have the phpBB2 forum installed and working, you then need the content from Dragonfly converted over (or ported) into your fresh phpBB2 install. Upload the conv_drag_to_phpbb2.php file into the root of your phpBB2 folder and run it from your browser.

Code: Select all

http://your-site.com/path/to/phpBB2/conv_drag_to_phpbb2.php
5. Fill in all the details and double check everything before you start the conversion. The prefix for the old Dragonfly stuff should be cms_
6. If the conversion is successful it will tell you when its finished. Go check your phpBB2 forum and make sure everything is all there.
7. Assuming you have successfully now converted your Dragonfly CMS members and Forum to phpBB2, open your phpBB3 install in your browser.

Code: Select all

http://your-site.com/path/to/phpBB3/install
8. Click the CONVERT tab in the top left then click the phpBB2 to phpBB3 conversion link. Follow the setup instructions and watch the conversion process. If you have a large forum you may get a General Error after a bit. Your server probably just timed out. Just hit the back button on your browser and click the "Continue Conversion" button and it will pick up where it left off. Once this is done you should now have your Dragonfly member base and forum converted to phpBB3.
9. You will now need to rebuild your Search database in phpBB3. Go to your phpBB3 Administrative Control Panel>General>Server Configuration>Search Settings and rebuild your search database.
10. Install the JFusion component in your JOOMLA! CMS through your admin panel. Follow the JFusion instructions for integrating phpBB3 into your JOOMLA! 1.5 CMS. This is a little tricky but JFusion has a great support forum and video tutorials that will walk you through it step by step.
11. In your JOOMLA! 1.5 Admin go to Control Panel>Component>JFusion>New Usersync and synchronize your phpBB3 member database with your JOOMLA! member database.

VIOLA! you have now converted your Dragonfly CMS members and forum to JOOMLA!

laughzilla
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: How to Migrate Dragonfly CMS to JOOMLA 1.5, step by step

Post by laughzilla » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:21 pm

cool post, SpringDay. :)

all i wanna migrate from my df sites to joomla are the articles content and image galleries contents.
do i still need to install phpbb and other stuff i don't use in my df sites?

SpringDay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SpringDay » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:33 pm

Content articles are not covered in the conversion at all. There is no native photo gallery for Joomla (well, not one like we are used to anyway) so you may have to do a coppermine install and bridge that to JOOMLA. You can keep all of your current file structure that way. About the only use my above procedure will have for you is transferring your member database.

Good Luck!

laughzilla
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by laughzilla » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:57 pm

thanks! :)

trob
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by trob » Sat May 09, 2009 4:58 am

Hello.

I was very happy when i found your solution, and i have done it.

But there is a mistake somewhere:
1. The Dragonfly is in UTF8.
2. The converter copy it as UTF8, but the hungarian 'ő' and 'ű' letters are converted to '?'. I look for this in the converter's code, but i didn't found anything that converts the characters between char-codings. Where is this part in the converter?
3. The Phpbb3 copy the datas well if i set "$lang['ENCODING'] = 'UTF8' " in the Phpbb2's lang_main.php. But the 'ő' and 'ű' letters are still wrong.

I don't understand why do disappear these two letters, if the character codings are UTF8 in both of Dragonfly and Phpbb2.

thomasjojo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by thomasjojo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:18 pm

hello
Im lloking for the conv_drag_to_phpbb2.php your link seems to be changed on the target side
you find me at twitter too...

SpringDay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SpringDay » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:04 am

I have attached conv_drag_to_phpbb2.zip to this message.

Sorry, have not been involved with Joomla for a while and Dragonfly has been a LONG while.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

duker733
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by duker733 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:56 am

Hello I am wanting to migrate my dragonfly site into joomla with phpbb3. Is there a newer easier way now to migrate from DF to Joomla?

I tried the above method and I get this error when converting the cms dragonfly database to phpbb2
Connecting to PHP-Nuke database server...Success
Connecting to PHP-Nuke database...Success
Connecting to phpBB database server...Success
Connecting to phpBB database...Success
Exporting data from PHP-Nuke table: disallow...Success
Exporting data from PHP-Nuke table: categories...Success
Exporting data from PHP-Nuke table: posts_text...Success
Exporting data from PHP-Nuke table: privmsgs_text...Success
Exporting data from PHP-Nuke table: topics_watch...Success
Exporting data from PHP-Nuke table: words...Success
Exporting data from PHP-Nuke configuration tables...Success
Exporting data from PHP-Nuke table: auth_access...Success
Exporting data from PHP-Nuke tables: forums...Success
Exporting data from PHP-Nuke tables: topics...Success
Exporting data from PHP-Nuke tables: posts...Failed
Query
INSERT INTO phpbb_posts ( `post_id`, `topic_id`, `forum_id`, `poster_id`, `post_time`, `poster_ip`, `post_username`, `enable_bbcode`, `enable_html`, `enable_smilies`, `enable_sig`, `post_edit_time`, `post_edit_count`) VALUES ( '47', '1', '2', '7', '1147094042', 'C'�', '', '1', '0', '1', '0', '', '0' )
Reason
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '�', '', '1', '0', '1', '0', '', '0' ' at line 20
All my forums are showing in phpbb2 and post counts, but when I open up a forum there are no posts? The users did not transfer over either.
Can anyone help me with this?

SpringDay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SpringDay » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:09 am

This was done for Dragonfly 9.0.6.1. If you have a later install of DF or were using the "Forums Pro" module, there will be errors like this.

All I can say is open up conv_drag_to_phpbb2.php in a text editor, it is free open source. Find the SQL calls for the posts, now open up your DF database with PHPMyAdmin and find the table where the posts are stored in the database. Change the "posts" database call in conv_drag_to_phpbb2.php to match what your table is named in your database.

Now, you gotta start the process all over.

vkshah9483
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by vkshah9483 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:53 pm

Thanks!!! Script worked perfectly with dragonfly 9.1.2.1. Nice instructions.

wizzard308
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Migrate Dragonfly CMS with Forums Pro to JOOMLA 1.5

Post by wizzard308 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:21 am

Trying to get this to work with df 9121 and forums pro.
So far I got everything except the post text imported.

I dont see a query in this script to insert the post_text into the phpbb database. Everything is importing except that. Am I missing something?

I had to import my post text via phpMyAdmin.
for anyone else just export your fpro_posts_text then open it up in notepad, change fpro_posts_text to phpbb_posts_text then import it into your database.

Someone who knows code good could perhaps create a query in the script to work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zrox
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by zrox » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:16 pm

Was trying only the forums to phpbb2 and it works. When I check out the member list, all of the joined date are all 29 Nov 1999

Any solution in fixing this?

piraja
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by piraja » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:01 am

How can I migrate my dragonfly to Joomla 1.7 or newer? Any ideas?

Or if I convert it to 1,5 then how difficult is to update/migrate it to J1,7 and up?

piraja
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by piraja » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Does anybody know some tips for downdate Dragonfly 9.2.1 to Dragonfly 9.0.6.1 ?
I do not find anywhere how I can downdate my DF to 9.0.6.1 for using this SpringDay's tutorial...

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”