Has anyone succesfully centered hornav?

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
darthphunk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Has anyone succesfully centered hornav?

Post by darthphunk » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:11 pm

I've been searching through the forums, and I can't find a working solution. My template is set to full, (not right or left) and the module for hornav appears to be centered, but the menu choices are all justified left.

I tried this:

http://docs.joomla.org/JaPurity_how_to_center_hornav

but all this seemed to accomplish was cropping the mainnavwrap container... my menu options are still to the left. Is there a way to center my menu options? or automatically stretch all buttons across the whole menu?

Can someone help?

Attached are two pics. First pic is of the menus justified left, 2nd pic is how I one day dream my menu may appear.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bino87
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Has anyone succesfully centered hornav?

Post by Bino87 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:46 pm

I don't understand what's wrong in that procedure... It should works!!

Try to set this parameter with a lower number (see step 13 of the tutorial).

Code: Select all

#ja-mainnavwrap {
    width: 960px; <--- EDIT THIS
    margin: 0;
    } 
try with 400px and increase it if the menu buttons goes on a new line till you will find the true size (note that is width and not max-width).

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:31 am

hi there Bino87

mille grazie

superb idea

joo
regards un-leash,
a big fan for ++ 11 years now: With Joomla you can easily create and extend your website: see the site, that offers you ideas & modules - extensions.joomla.org - it lists over 4000 extensions

Bino87
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Bino87 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:58 pm

hey darthphunk have you tryed to do my suggestion??

Thanks JOO!! :-[
however when I wrote that answer I did not try if it works... I've only readed the php and css code so I hope that someone will try it and say us if it works properly so we will correct the tutorial!

Bino87

Alamarian
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Alamarian » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:45 pm

I realize this is an old topic but I figured it would be better the bump this than create a new one.

Using "width" did nothing I when I tried it. Didn't change a thing. Using "max-width" did work, once I found the correct number of pixels. Not the way I intended it though. As you can see in the picture, I've centered the hornav menu but I hoped the whole thing would be the same color (well, not that color specifically but one problem at a time). Instead, everything outside of the buttons has now taken on the background color. How would I go about fixing that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yarba
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yarba » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:09 pm

yeah i have a similar issue - it seems picky to ask seeing as its such a great template but if i could get the hornav to center the site would look a lot tidier. am i right in saying that the width of the average users browser page is 1000px? because i am using hornav to display an artist slideshow module - in the screenshot attached it is set at 980px wide, this leaves 10px at either side, now sure this looks ok and it does vertically align with the menu elements beneath but i would like to increase the width by 20px and have it running like a bar right across the top of the screen without those 10px grey borders either side. now when i increase the size of the module by 20px rather that expanding the module 10px both left and right it just expands 20px off to the right and looks lopsided. i have looked about in the settings and thought it might be to do with the 97% fluid setting but have tried a few things and can't seem to figure out how to fix it - if anyone knows how to hard align the hornav to the left of the screen that would be great.
hornav-issue.jpg
- also on a seperate note i plan to put in the rather funky frontpage slideshow component/module at the top of the frontpage, i found a thread here about putting it in where breadcrumbs module is http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=541&t=532385 which might be ok, and the developers have a nice thread on their forum on what code to insert to do it another way - http://forum.joomlaworks.gr/frontpage-s ... show-there!/ however, and this is going to sound really thick so please don't laugh, it involves editing the templatedetails.xml but whenever i click on it it pops up in a browser and i can't edit it - i know there must be a simple way to do this or a little app to edit it but i am a newb - could someone please clue me in?

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:48 am

Hey Yarba

many thanks for bringing this to us. This rocks - sure thing!
yarba wrote:yeah i have a similar issue - it seems picky to ask seeing as its such a great template but if i could get the hornav to center the site would look a lot tidier. am i right in saying that the width of the average users browser page is 1000px? because i am using hornav to display an artist slideshow module - in the screenshot attached it is set at 980px wide, this leaves 10px at either side, now sure this looks ok and it does vertically align with the menu elements beneath but i would like to increase the width by 20px and have it running like a bar right across the top of the screen without those 10px grey borders either side. now when i increase the size of the module by 20px rather that expanding the module 10px both left and right it just expands 20px off to the right and looks lopsided. i have looked about in the settings and thought it might be to do with the 97% fluid setting but have tried a few things and can't seem to figure out how to fix it - if anyone knows how to hard align the hornav to the left of the screen that would be great.
hornav-issue.jpg
- also on a seperate note i plan to put in the rather funky frontpage slideshow component/module at the top of the frontpage, i found a thread here about putting it in where breadcrumbs module is http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=541&t=532385 which might be ok, and the developers have a nice thread on their forum on what code to insert to do it another way - http://forum.joomlaworks.gr/frontpage-s ... show-there![/b]/ however, and this is going to sound really thick so please don't laugh, it involves editing the templatedetails.xml but whenever i click on it it pops up in a browser and i can't edit it - i know there must be a simple way to do this or a little app to edit it but i am a newb - could someone please clue me in?
i want to get more infos. Can you share some more insights to this great great issue!

love to hear from you

best regards

Joo ;)
regards un-leash,
a big fan for ++ 11 years now: With Joomla you can easily create and extend your website: see the site, that offers you ideas & modules - extensions.joomla.org - it lists over 4000 extensions

yarba
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yarba » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:24 pm

you never know whose watching Joo, but check out http://vigilantcitizen.com/ to 'discover occult symbols and hidden meanings in famous landmarks, songs and movies'

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”