my edited localhost offline website to server default joomla

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
chopa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

my edited localhost offline website to server default joomla

Post by chopa » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:32 am

so I have my website ready. its done locally

I have also server hosted with fresh default joomla instalation

so what Im supposed to do to have that offline localhost version on server?

upload all files from HTDOCS?

sorry, but Im total newbie

tnx in advance
Last edited by chopa on Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: my edited localhost offline website to server default joomla

Post by imanickam » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:51 am

In order to take the website from localhost to server you have to do the following:

(a) Create a new database on the server and load the data that is dumped from the localhost database server

(b) Copy the files under your localhost website directory to your website directory on the server - In this case you have already installed the same version of Joomla! So, this step may not be necessary.

(c) Copy the configuration.php from the localhost to the Server.

(d) Edit the configuration.php file in the server to reflect the new environments such as temp directory, log directory, database host name, database name, database user name and database password.

Simply I would recommend using extension such as JoomlaPack to accomplish this. Review JoomlaPack at http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... 06/details.

In case if you were using .htaccess file in the localhost then that also has to be copied in the server and configured accordingly.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

PhilD
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by PhilD » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:49 am

"(c) Copy the configuration.php from the localhost to the Server.

(d) Edit the configuration.php file in the server to reflect the new environments such as temp directory, log directory, database host name, database name, database user name and database password."

"I have also server hosted with fresh default joomla instalation"

Actually, if the OP already has installed Joomla on the domain and has run the Joomla run setup, then he does not need to do these steps. the configuration.php would already be properly setup.

All that is needed is to do a database dump, and import (load the data) into the domains database.

Any templates or extensions not already installed on the domain will have to be installed and setup.
PhilD

chopa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chopa » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:34 am

little bit confused there :eek:

what exactly filed do I need to copy from my xaamp to my server?

i have done database dump and import that to my server database, but now next step is little bit confusing

doomlord
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by doomlord » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:27 am

It would be a lot simpler if there was a set of Screen capture tuts to go with the doc's, I am still trying to load joomla onto XAMPP, the doc's that I have use a different File Zilla and I cant find out how to load the Joomla files onto File Zilla that is part of XAMPP as there are no docs with that apps. If I do get it sorted I will make a set of Screen Capture Tut's from install of XAMPP to Install of Joomla and then a set from XAMPP to Server.

PhilD
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by PhilD » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:49 pm

FileZilla that is part of XAMPP is an FTP server to server files by ftp from a server. Filezilla also has a client program for free download. When people talk about FileZilla the client program is normally what they are referring to.

There is a tutorial ( I'll see if I can find the url to post) on the Joomla documentation site on how to install XAMPP and Joomla. It has good screen captures of both installs (XAMPP and Joomla) and walks you through both.

Really though, all you need to do to install XAMPP is download the -installer.exe version and double click the file to run the install. Install XAMPP anywhere except the programs directory. It will not work properly from the winsows programs directory on some versions of windows. I suggest C:XAMPP. Once done you can double click the icon for XAMPP and from there start apache and mysql.

To "load" your Joomla files into your XAMPP server all you need to do is copy the Joomla full package files into the directory htdocs or a subdirectory under htdocs.
You can then run the Joomla install to set up Joomla.
For example:
I wish to place a copy of the Joomla files from a full package into a directory called joomla15
I extract the Joomla full package files to C:XAMPP\htdocs\joomla15 and this puts all the Joomla files in the subdirectory joomla15.
Next I would enter into my browser: http://localhost/joomla15 and this will take me to the Joomla install screen as I have not yet set up Joomla.
I follow the install screens entering the requested information and sample data if I want.
***NOTE: XAMPP default database user is root without a password. I suggest you make a password for the database user root in the security setup screens of XAMPP, it makes life much easier in the long run and is simple to do.***
When I have finished installing Joomla, I remove the install directory so I can access the site by entering http://localhost/joomla15/ in the browser. Enter the Joomla admin by using http://localhost/joomla15/administrator/ in the browser and the superuser admin and the password you created during install. You can then change admin to your name or whatever so you become the Joomla superuser.
PhilD

chopa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chopa » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:51 pm

chopa wrote:little bit confused there :eek:

what exactly filed do I need to copy from my xaamp to my server?

i have done database dump and import that to my server database, but now next step is little bit confusing
pls someone answer

its a lot quicker to work offline via xaamp server, so I need to know exactly what files I need to upload to server to have my site viewable on my hosted domain?

PhilD
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by PhilD » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:07 pm

To chopa

To transfer Joomla from your local XAMPP install you will need to ftp all the files and directories contained in the XAMPP htdocs directory if that is where you installed Joomla. In my example I gave in the above post, I would transfer the files/directories in the subdirectory joom15 as that is where I install Joomla in the example. You can use any ftp program your comfortable using to do this.

Provided you do indeed have a freshly setup Joomla install (as stated in your first post) on your domain, the only things you don't want to transfer from the XAMPP Joomla install to the domain is the install directory and the configuration.php file.

Note: When the Joomla setup is run for the first time and sucessfully completed, the setup scripts create the configuration.php file. This file is unique for each Joomla install in that it contains the database info and paths to the Joomla install. You do not want to overwrite or replace the configuration.php file on the domain with the local XAMPP configuration.php file. To do so will mean the domain will stop working as the information would be wrong for the domain. Always keep a copy of the domains configuration.php file in a safe place locally in case something happens (you accidentally overwrite it) to the one on the domain.

If you have setup Joomla on the domain, then you don't need the install directory on the domain.
PhilD

PhilD
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by PhilD » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Here are a couple links to setting up XAMPP and Joomla:

http://help.joomla.org/ghop/feb2008/tas ... kstart.pdf

video (13.22 min) link
http://www.veoh.com/collection/screenca ... 50A7Mnpe7z

I recommend the pdf version as is easier to go by and reference later when you are actually attempting the XAMPP and Joomla setup. The video is worth watching for a good overview.
PhilD

chopa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chopa » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:58 pm

hmm

now a different kind of problem >:(

uploaded my website files to server, my page appears but with default joomla files

changed to my template, but still it is that template, but no my modules and my stuff in it, onyl default joomla "look" of template

advise, plz

tnx

chopa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chopa » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:04 pm

deleted my database, and made new one (blank)

imported database from my offline localhost version and viola, works

finally

tnx everybody on help, you are all really kind and helpfull here

looking forward to other future problems and your help :laugh:

victoryrock
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by victoryrock » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:16 am

imanickam wrote:In order to take the website from localhost to server you have to do the following:

(a) Create a new database on the server and load the data that is dumped from the localhost database server

(b) Copy the files under your localhost website directory to your website directory on the server - In this case you have already installed the same version of Joomla! So, this step may not be necessary.

(c) Copy the configuration.php from the localhost to the Server.

(d) Edit the configuration.php file in the server to reflect the new environments such as temp directory, log directory, database host name, database name, database user name and database password.

Simply I would recommend using extension such as JoomlaPack to accomplish this. Review JoomlaPack at http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... 06/details.

In case if you were using .htaccess file in the localhost then that also has to be copied in the server and configured accordingly.
imanickam
So if I install a fresh same version of Joomla to my /web folder and my development folder is /web/joomla, do I just overwrite the fresh version, or do I even need the fresh version at all?

victoryrock

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:33 am

If the versions are the same in both the places then there is no need to overwrite.

If you have installed any extensions on the development side then the chances are that the directory structure and files may be different. In that case you have to overwrite the files.
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator

victoryrock
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by victoryrock » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:43 am

imanickam wrote:If the versions are the same in both the places then there is no need to overwrite.

If you have installed any extensions on the development side then the chances are that the directory structure and files may be different. In that case you have to overwrite the files.
imanickam wrote:If the versions are the same in both the places then there is no need to overwrite.

Thanks, if there is no need to overwrite, then what do I need to change? Just the config file?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:50 am

Yes, you have to change the configuration file. Also your database contents have to be dumped and loaded in the new database. Please review the steps outlined.

victoryrock
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by victoryrock » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:01 am

Thanks!

Now for my last question.

If I just install a fresh version of Joomla!, change the config file as noted, copy over all the extensions can I point it to the same database? I guess, can I just point to the development database in the new config file rather than dumping? I don't know what dumping is or even how to do it.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:16 am

Dumping is exporting data from a database and Loading is importing data from a database. You can use phpMyAdmin for this.

Nothing wrong in point to the development database. However, you lose the luxury of making modifications and testing the changes before moving to the production environment.

doomlord
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by doomlord » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:59 am

PhilD wrote:To chopa

To transfer Joomla from your local XAMPP install you will need to ftp all the files and directories contained in the XAMPP htdocs directory if that is where you installed Joomla. In my example I gave in the above post, I would transfer the files/directories in the subdirectory joom15 as that is where I install Joomla in the example. You can use any ftp program your comfortable using to do this.

Provided you do indeed have a freshly setup Joomla install (as stated in your first post) on your domain, the only things you don't want to transfer from the XAMPP Joomla install to the domain is the install directory and the configuration.php file.

Note: When the Joomla setup is run for the first time and sucessfully completed, the setup scripts create the configuration.php file. This file is unique for each Joomla install in that it contains the database info and paths to the Joomla install. You do not want to overwrite or replace the configuration.php file on the domain with the local XAMPP configuration.php file. To do so will mean the domain will stop working as the information would be wrong for the domain. Always keep a copy of the domains configuration.php file in a safe place locally in case something happens (you accidentally overwrite it) to the one on the domain.

If you have setup Joomla on the domain, then you don't need the install directory on the domain.

Thankyou very much fot the info, I have copied and past to file for insalation. I did not know there was a screenshot tut's that will help a lot thankyou for your time

Return to “Installation 1.5”