Help Me! Installing Joomla on 1and1!

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ccasanova
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Help Me! Installing Joomla on 1and1!

Post by ccasanova » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:10 pm

not sure why that is but I just sent you a PM with it attached..........

zuzushii
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zuzushii » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:41 pm

If you're transferring from a localhost, I'd highly recommend that you do a "clean" installation of Joomla on your 1and1 domain...
1. set up your 1and1 domain (i'd create a "test" subdomain...you never know)
2. set up your 1and1 mysql database
2. set up your 1and1 ftp (if you want to transfer with something like filezilla which is much more reliable)
3. follow the directions in the word document in this thread (for exporting your local mySQL database).
4. when you have completed the installation of your "clean" joomla (with the information from your new mysql database (don't add the ftp in the joomla install), go into your new phpmyadmin (through 1and1), delete the structure of your "clean" joomla and import your local sql file.

It recovers the basic data but it appears I have to reinstall the extensions...which is kind of a bummer but I'm better than where I was before !

Good Luck !
"A mountain is composed of tiny grains of earth. The ocean is made up of tiny drops of water..."

communique
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by communique » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:20 am

Does anyone have a php.ini and .htaccess file to share? I have a Business Linux package and am having problems implementing a couple of items on the security checklist.

Among them, I can't get "disable_errors" turned off, nor can I implement the open_basedir command. Every time I try something, I break the site.

Do you use a .htaccess file to protect your administrator directory or password protect it using 1and1's control panel?

Thanks, Bill
Bill

zuzushii
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zuzushii » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:16 am

Hello Bill,

There is a long thread about 1&1 and htaccess

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 94&start=0

I tried to understand what was communicated in the thread (not technically inclined) and I just got some more problems. At the moment, I don't even have an htaccess file .... not even an htaccess.txt file !

Hopefully that thread can help you.
"A mountain is composed of tiny grains of earth. The ocean is made up of tiny drops of water..."

northhead
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by northhead » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:25 pm

One caveat, If you use the click and build apps on a domain there is a restriction of one directory on that domain. This will precluded any Joomla install.

ccasanova
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ccasanova » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:14 am

northhead wrote:One caveat, If you use the click and build apps on a domain there is a restriction of one directory on that domain. This will precluded any Joomla install.
Not sure I follow you. I used the 1and1 tool to make the first temporary version of my sites while I built them in Joomla in a different directory. Once complete, you deactivate the version created with their tool and change the destination of the domain to your new directory. Maybe I am misunderstanding you.

Carlos

northhead
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by northhead » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:45 am

Carlos you are correct. That is the workaround by creating Joomla in a different directory, and then switching directory that you point your domain to. You can not put joomla in the same root directory or subdirectory with a click and build site.

PulpzillA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PulpzillA » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:59 pm

i'm about to move my localhost joomla site to 1&1 and now worried with whats been said! have things changed since then?

ccasanova
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ccasanova » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:58 pm

I've been running my sites on 1and1 for almost 1yr and for the most part i haven't had any issues once I learned how to get the site up to the server from my Localhost.

Currently, I use the JoomlaPack extension which works fine. You just have to make sure it's under 20MB upload.

Create your empty DB, then run JoomlaPack and you should be fine.

As mentioned in previous post, I created a whole directory structure
mysite>>Prod
mysite>>Dev
mysite>>Test

Then, I have subdomains that coorespond to them
www.mysite.com
dev.mysite.com
test.mysite.com

I also have three DBs already created, once for each environment

When uploading a new site or an upgrade....... I install to Dev or Test and use the corresponding DB and directory structure. Test it all out, make sure everything is working as planned. Once I finalize the testing, I get lazy and just rename the directory structure. Dev --->Prod and Prod-->Dev and I update the "Description" for the supporting DBs through PHPAdmin so there is no confusion.

And it's done...

PulpzillA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PulpzillA » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:41 pm

ok thanks, just got joomla pack and did a backup of my site. do i just upload and unpack the JPA file?

ccasanova
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ccasanova » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:44 pm

No, look for the "kickstart" php file. You upload the JPA and kickstart file into the directory where you want to install. Then navigate to dev.mysite.com/kickstart.php it then walks through the unpacking and rest of it. It automatically installs Joomla as part of your site which is nice.

PulpzillA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PulpzillA » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:47 pm

ok thanks! if you dont mind i might PM you if i have problems. this is my first joomla site so sorry if im asking nooby questions!

ccasanova
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ccasanova » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:53 pm

sure, no problem. I'm relatively new to it ( 9-12mos ) but it's how I learned so I must give back as well.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:57 pm

[Mod Note; even better if you exchange information on the forumj as this may help others who experience the same/similar problems]

ccasanova
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ccasanova » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:22 pm

agreed....... that way all coming after us might also learn

PulpzillA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PulpzillA » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:41 am

ok thanks for your, so using joomla pack means i dont have to worry about all the .htaccess problems that were mentioned earlier in the thread?

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:09 am

No you will still need to ensure that your site is running on PHP 5.x for best results. JoomlaPack is a method of transferring the site from one location to another in greater safety.

PulpzillA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PulpzillA » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:17 am

ok just ran into a problem, seems like a i cant upload files larger than 20mb using 1&1s webspace explorer i guess im able to use another ftp program? my localhost website is like 160mb!

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:24 am

Yes just don't use Microsoft default FTP clients in Windows OS suggest WINSCP or one of the many other free and tested offerings.

alternatively you could zip up individual folders and unzip and upload them individually using 1&1 panel and uzip using their File Manager - it just takes longer!!

I have done both on 1&1 UK

PulpzillA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PulpzillA » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:35 am

alright, i will probably use filezilla. god i sound like a such a noob! i really appreciate all the help.
the way i understand is that i need to create a new MySQL database at 1&1
then upload the JPA file that joomla pack has created with the kickstart.jpa
go to that directory and run it? i guess its pretty self explanatory from there.
Thanks

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:41 am

Get the Installation Manual and check http://docs.joomla.org/beginners - don't worry we all started once ;)

Joomla! will create a set of tables in the database you select (I believe you have choice of two, unless they have changed it recently)
If you are running more than 1 site at any time make sure you use a different table prefix during installation.

PulpzillA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PulpzillA » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:16 am

right im uploading all the JPA files, and have just created a new database! fingers corssed i can unpack everything ok, as joomlapack has put all the backups in small 1mb files.

ok im extracting my JPA files using kickstart but i keep getting this error

Error: <br />
<b>Fatal error</b>: Undefined class name 'jtext' in <b>/homepages/23/d291290090/htdocs/kickstart.php</b> on line <b>1513</b><br />

dunno if anyone has come across a similar problem before with joomlapack.

gstrumberger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gstrumberger » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:06 pm

Interesting to read that Website Builder (or Website tonight--whatever it's called now) isn't available outside the US. I do use 1and1 myself and found that I had to disable the Website Builder before I could upload my own website. So if another Yankee out there is having the same trouble, try that. :eek:

PulpzillA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PulpzillA » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:44 am

ok i managed to get the website uploaded but i keep getting an ajax error now when i try to restore the database :(
is it easier restoring the website manually?

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:13 am

I have never used Joomlapack myself so cannot advise whether it is easier or not to do manual (i assume you mean FTP client) restore. I have done these countless times on 1&1 using the WinSCP FTP client referenced above.
I always install to a new folder within the web_root/ directory (never directly within the web_root/ itself as 1and1 have their own log file which then causes problems with Joomla!)
I then use the domain manager to point the domain directly to the subfolder.
I did find it useful to run a completely clean install of joomla in 1&1 to use as a training tool/point of reference when I then uploaded local site. I just used either a spare domain name or created a subdomain in the domain manager.
I nearly always do the local database export dump as a zip file as this is then less prone to corruption during import into the remote database.
Make sure that both the local and 1&1 database tables are configured using UTF8.

PulpzillA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PulpzillA » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:57 am

ok thanks for the tip! ive put a post in the joomlapack support forum, so hopefully things clear up. i was using joomla pack as it seems to do everything all-in-one.

ccasanova
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ccasanova » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:40 am

Not sure about the ajax error but I had some issues with PHP versions. Make sure your 1and1 account is on PHP 5.x. Again, not sure that is the problem but it will cause issues down the road if it isn't.

PulpzillA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PulpzillA » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:26 pm

i decided to stop using joomla pack and upload the website manually. but ok ive got problems importing the database onto the 1&1 database.

i get
#1044 - Access denied for user 'dbo293049443'@'%' to database 'joomla15'

any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:54 pm

on a standard business package with 1&1 you cannot create new databases.
Your database name is db293049443, your Username for that database is dbo293049443 and the password is whatever 1&1 set it as.
Host will be db1982.oneandone.co.uk
Prefix by default is jos_ but I would suggest you change this to something else to reduce the risk of corrupting the DB at a later time

Return to “Installation 1.5”