CloudFront Joomla Plugin

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
fezzicnex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

CloudFront Joomla Plugin

Post by fezzicnex » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:17 am

Joomla needs to take advantage of Amazon Web Service called CloudFront, you can find it here (http://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/)

Has anyone developed a plugin or component to migrate a joomla site's static components to an external content delivery system?

This would make some grate advancements to fast web loading and content delivery. By the way some Joomla templates suck. i recently ran my JA Purity template through YSLow (major failure).

kwoolf
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: CloudFront Joomla Plugin

Post by kwoolf » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:20 am

Cloudfront can host files like images, documents, audio and video, but you would need to run Joomla and on an entire LAMP installation with AWS EC2. You could try hosting all your template images on Cloutfront, but I've found it to be a bit slow for small sites. I'd do a cost analysis to make sure this would make financial sense before you get too caught up in this. A small instance running joomla with a 5GB storage runs close to US$80/month. Stability has been an issue and timely backups are highly recommended.

angelontequila
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by angelontequila » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:45 am

Tnx kwolf i was looking for second opinion on Cloudfront

kwoolf
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kwoolf » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:16 am

angelontequila wrote:Tnx kwolf i was looking for second opinion on Cloudfront
A lot has changed since my last post. You do not have to run Joomla on EC2 in order to take advantage of S3 or Cloudfront. I've found that if you don't have daily traffic to your site, the cache stored on Cloudfront Edge Servers may expire leaving your occasional visitors to call this data, which would then be loaded from S3 to Cloudfront and then served to your visitor (slower process).

I recently met with an AWS technical sales rep and he forwarded me some scripts and info on how to use S3 and Cloudfront with Restricting Access to Specific HTTP Referer @ http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/Amazo ... _s3_a.html. That solved a big problem for me. I'm looking into running my site on EC2 now as prices have decreased a lot. But I'm recently moved from Joomla to Magento and WordPress since there is no good (free) bridge for Joomla just yet.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”