Increase speed of Joomla

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security and Performance FAQs
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Aaron B
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Increase speed of Joomla

Post by Aaron B » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:49 am

We do a lot of work around improving performance of websites. Is speed an issue with Joomla and how important is it to have a fast site? Aptimize have released software that merges the files that make up a webpage into fewer files. Fewer files means less HTTP requests, and much faster page load times. I'd be interested to know if there is demand to improve performance of Joomla and where main issues lie with site speed.

Cheers

joomila
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Increase speed of Joomla

Post by joomila » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:36 am

Aaron B wrote:We do a lot of work around improving performance of websites. Is speed an issue with Joomla and how important is it to have a fast site? Aptimize have released software that merges the files that make up a webpage into fewer files. Fewer files means less HTTP requests, and much faster page load times. I'd be interested to know if there is demand to improve performance of Joomla and where main issues lie with site speed.

Cheers
Lot of things, enable cache if you have lot of visits..
try optime SQLs into components,
change engine for INNODB, etc.
overrideMVC - Override Components and Modules for Joomla! http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ting/15611

joomila
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by joomila » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:39 am

maybe you find more information on http://www.joomlaperformance.com/
overrideMVC - Override Components and Modules for Joomla! http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ting/15611

tecwzrd
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tecwzrd » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Aaron B wrote:Aptimize have released software that merges the files that make up a webpage into fewer files.
I assume you are talking about sprites or merging JS/CSS together. There are already free online sites that do image compiling for sprites like website-performance.org or csssprites.com and even provide the css code.

For merging JS/CSS there is the free extension CssJsCompress

Using "Smart Optimizer" will also gzip and compress your files if you run into js/css conflicts with the plug in.
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=433&t=344013

For optimizing images you can quickly optimize them at the sites below.

dynamicdrive.com or punypng.com (best at optimizing PNG files)

Or for the really lazy (or have 30+ images that need to be optimized) they can install Content Optimizer which compresses jpg/gif/png files.

As joomila mentioned there are other server side optimization improvements as well but IME the main reason why sites are slow are improperly optimized images/js/css.

From most of the sites I see in the Site Showcase there should be a HUGE demand for increasing performance of Joomla sites but most would require FTP and administrator access and I don't think too many people would feel comfortable with doing that.

Considering a lot of people like Joomla because it's FREEand all the examples above of how people can optimize their own site for FREE I don't see too many people that would be interested in paying $1249 just to optimize a site! Most use Joomla for personal or small business sites and at that price point it's not going to happen.

Most sites can be fully optimized in 15 minutes or less following the steps themselves (except sprites which could take hours depending on how many css template images are loading)

I often give advice freely to help people optimize their sites but few bother with it and keep there sites at 1+MB either because they are lazy or they just don't care.
If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD all my links.

Alextampa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Alextampa » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:33 pm

CSSJscompress did wonders for my site.

Then I worked on making the template more simpler, and now even my virtuemart pages have a Yslow score of C.

Ghonjez
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by Ghonjez » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:06 pm

etusha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by etusha » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:39 pm

CSSJscompress (try to optimise and replace let CSSJsCompres only merger them )
Cache + APACHE optimise
use only "POPULAR" comp mod or plg (dev optimise they product, i suggest paid product )
disable COMP and PLG u don need , delete unpublished module
OPTIMISE template
DONT use SEF OR SEO components only joomla default SEF
etc etc

Ghonjez
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by Ghonjez » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:32 am

etusha wrote: DONT use SEF OR SEO components only joomla default SEF
Why ??
Is it your experience ?
Which SEF / SEO extensions do you mean ?

;)

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 1.5”