Product Review Style Template

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
danjsomers
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Product Review Style Template

Post by danjsomers » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:33 pm

Hi there,
Can anyone tell me the best way to incorporate a product review style page on my joomla site.
I'm trying to review 3 products with a 5 star rating sytem, but the stars will just be an image not for users to rate.
The main objective is to provide a comparison between the 3 products, then each product will have external links to their respective product sites. So Product A will be at the top with 5 stars, then B with 4 and C with 3 for example.
Any best methods,or templates that make this look much more effective will be appreciated.
Thanks
Daniel

compusolver
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Product Review Style Template

Post by compusolver » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:29 pm

Sounds like an interesting website. ..

..but a rather unique one. Let's look at some terms for a minute -

"Template" refers to the look, feel and navigation of your website. It has nothing to do with the inner-workings. Also, "template" is like "cookie-cutter". They tend to be generic so you can make lots of different sites from them.

What you're talking about is mostly going to happen "server-side", meaning you will need php code. If it's on a Joomla site, the features will be coded via plug-in, components and modules.

Since this is a fairly unique concept, you're probably looking at having someone create the site for you with custom code.

To sum up, the actual look of your site will be determined by a template, but not the workings of your site. You can find template designs at -

iJoomla.com
JoomlaShack.com
JoomlaXtreme.com
Joomla24.com
RocketTheme.com
and others. (Google "joomla templates")

To see whether someone has written an extension for what you're wanting to do (don't bet on it!), check out the Extensions section of this website.

If you don't find it, don't despair. There are plenty of people out there who could customize a site like that for you. Just be very careful, because there are lots of people who will take your money, perhaps with good intentions, only to find out that they are over their heads and you end up with nothing.
- Hank Castello
https://CompuSolver.com
PHP / Joomla / Wordpress / Yii / SEO / Security

danjsomers
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by danjsomers » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:24 pm

Thanks for your help,
I think I'm nearly there. I'm using the JA Purity template which comes as default, and I have the review stars but now I'm creating a table but I am unable to position it where I want it. All it does is stay on the left side. Is there anyway I can move the table around to where I want it? preferably on the right hand side of my article.
I tried putting in the table in a layer and I could move that where I wanted, but when I previewed it it was on top of the writing.
Sorry but I'm using the Tiny MCE editor and it doesn't give me many options to position stuff like tables it so frustrating surely it can't be that hard.
Go easy on me I'm new to Joomla.

compusolver
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by compusolver » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:24 pm

You're doing pretty darn good, it sounds! Why not use a wysiwyg editor like Dreamweaver, etc.? Turn off your Joomla editor from global config, then copy the html code in DW that is between the body tags into your article form.
- Hank Castello
https://CompuSolver.com
PHP / Joomla / Wordpress / Yii / SEO / Security

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”