Flash not showing up in IE ??

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
tbm2020
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Flash not showing up in IE ??

Post by tbm2020 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:57 am

Hey guys

Something strange is happening to flash objects on pages in IE7. Basically on mozilla all the flash items show fine but in IE, only on some pages, the click to activate object box appears round the flash area but then it doesnt load any flash, however it leaves a space for it ( i have it right aligned and text wrapping round it) so it knows where its going but for some reason its just not loading the images. Thought it might be a cash or history issue so delleted cash cookies ... the whole lot and restarted ie and still nothings showing up, but again its only on some pages...

checked my settings for both flash files that doo appear and those that dont and they are exactly the same in way they are exported, the flash player they are meant to be played in and i've also made sure the settings for placing them within the content is correct, im using the standard editor that comes with joomla 1.5...

any ideas??

cheers for any help

Kind regards

Tim

xombies
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Flash not showing up in IE ??

Post by xombies » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:37 pm

Are other flash movies working fine in IE?

johnswallacejr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnswallacejr » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:52 am

Did you find a solution?

kor
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kor » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:55 am

IE is very persistent. You mave even have to restart your computer :-(

lakotasouix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lakotasouix » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:04 am

I have the same problem, I did find a thread on another forum to try and fix the problem, this is there example they left

<param name="movie" value="" >
<embed src="swf/Increase%20text%20size%20BUTTON.swf".......

you need -
<param name="movie" value="swf/Increase%20text%20size%20BUTTON.swf">
<embed src="swf/Increase%20text%20size%20BUTTON.swf"......

I had everything correct in my flash, except for the param name="movie" as mine said param name="src" so I changed it, to see if it would help, but as soon as I closed the html editor it reverts back to "src". I am running Joomla 1.5

lakotasouix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lakotasouix » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:12 am

Just a quick add on to my previous post.
I found that I can preview my flash file in the admin, so it has to be in something that makes changes to viewing it in the front end.

jwolfhagen
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jwolfhagen » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:05 pm

I am having the same problem. I embed a flash file using the TinyMCE editor and the flash file shows in article preview. When viewing article out of editor it displays fine in Firefox but does not in IE7.
Using the advice above I looked at the source HTML and changed "src" to "movie" each time I save, it will revert to "src" instead of keeping the modification of "movie".

Does anyone understand what is going on here. Is this typical M$ garbage again?

lakotasouix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lakotasouix » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:40 pm

With TinyMCE, despite turning off the remove HTML tags, it still tends to do it. It is not working 100% but I find if I change the editor to NO editor, then put in the HTML and save it, it won't remove the tags, but if you change it back to the tinymce editor and review the article it will remove the tags again. Give that a go on your flash and see if it helps.

eradio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by eradio » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:32 pm

I am having same issues...I am running Joomla V1.5.2 and flash videos intermittently displays on pages(in articles) with IE7. Firefox not affected.
One other thing is that it allows people to download video? Sometimes?!?

I have found a resolution.
I disabled the Tiny MCE Editor and used the complete url to every flash movie.

joshspivey
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joshspivey » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:23 am

try this code to embed flash

##############################

<script type="text/javascript">
AC_FL_RunContent( 'codebase','http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shoc ... ','button1' ); //end AC code
</script><noscript><object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shoc ... on=5,0,0,0" width="100" height="22">
<param name="movie" value="button1.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<embed src="button1.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download ... kwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100" height="22" ></embed>
</object></noscript>

Josh Spivey
IT Department
http://www.getahugetank.com

TheJams
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by TheJams » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:18 pm

I had this same issue on my site and was going out of my mind until I found this thread.

Looking through these suggestions, what worked for me was to use the full URL for the Flash reference. I did not have to disable TinyMCE as my editor or mess with the flash code; just use the editor as usual and reference the full URL to your swf file in the File/URL field of tinyMCE.

update:
ok, this worked using the full URL when I was referencing the website by IP. However, when I switched this to the full URL with the domain name, tinyMCE removed the domain prefix. I'm guessing it will always remove it if the URL matches the website's own domain.

pegintrude
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pegintrude » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:58 am

I have the same problem - it looks like flash works fine in the first two levels of the site but won't appear below that.

I tried JoshSpivey's code but it just disappeared when I clicked to update.

I'm a marketer not a programmer and I've only had Joomla for a week so some of the advice is over my head (how do you turn the editor off?) but any more thoughts will be very gratefully received. I've had to remove the flash for the moment as it was just making big white gaps all over my lovely site!

niceguy78
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by niceguy78 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:18 pm

Pegintrude said
I have the same problem - it looks like flash works fine in the first two levels of the site but won't appear below that.
Does your flash work in Opera or Firefox?
Jack, my home page is mysitehere.atspacecom

einarsson
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by einarsson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:40 am

I have the same problem but with Mozilla Firefox. I have a site with 13 swf files and it work perfect in IE. I have Joomla! 1.5 and IE 7. I have the newest version of Firefox, in fact downloaded the updates this morning.

All 13 swf movies are OK in EI 7, but only 1 works with Mozilla. Anyone with that problem?
ede

beadsboy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Solution

Post by beadsboy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:11 pm

Hello,

I spent few hours before i reached this place.

1.) Below code is working in both Firefox and IE.

Code: Select all

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="362" height="314" align="middle">
      <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
      <param name="movie" value="http://www.COMPLETE PATH.com/images/stories/videos/VTS_01_1.swf" />
      <param name="quality" value="high" />
      <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
      <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
      <embed src="http://www.COMPLETE PATH.com/images/stories/videos/VTS_01_1.swf" quality="high" align="middle" bgcolor="#000000" width="362" height="314" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"> </embed>
    </object>
2.) Tip : Paste your code in html file and open it in Dreamweaver. On opening Dreamweaver will promt to "make the script safe to be able to see in IE" click yes.

3.) Param Name & Embede SRC both should have THE COMPLETE PATH TO THE SWF FILE. (my swf file is playing an flv file :-).

Thankyou,

Devang

Gergo Erdosi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Gergo Erdosi » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:11 pm

I think it's a bug, posted the report here:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=199&t=314064

And added to the tracker:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=12144

Gergo Erdosi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Gergo Erdosi » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:32 pm

Moderator note: Topic moved from 1.5 Performance to 1.5 General Questions.

gg4j
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by gg4j » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:48 am

TIME cannot save an absolute URL appereantly.

Is that a bug?
(or IE does not know where is the file without the absoulte url.. )

annanubar
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by annanubar » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:11 am

Hi there...

I was facing the same problem with my website when trying to embed an .swf file and it will only appear on Mozilla FrieFox and the flash file didn't show on IE...

I tried so many things that you all suggested none works with me, until i came up with this code and it worked perfectly, so i just wanted to share it with you in case it helps you too!

here is my flash embed code:

Code: Select all

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" width="479" height="177"><param name="width" value="479" /><param name="height" value="177" /><param name="src" value="images/products/fox.swf" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="479" height="177" src="images/products/fox.swf"></embed></object>

just copy/paste the above code to your HTML code and try to change these 2 things from your side ONLY and leave everything else as it is):

1) change the file path with the one you have from:
value=" "
and also change it from here:
src=" "

2) change the width & height with the dimensions of your own from:
width=" " height=" "
and also from here:
<param name="width" value=" " /><param name="height" value=" " />

Good Luck!

Anna J.

Russ826
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Russ826 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Alright, so I fixed my issue! Hopefully this helps anyone else.
I use Joomla 1.5.14. I had an issue where my Flash showed up, then disappeared when I added an image. In the embed window where you can embed your image, the preview window showed the file. HOWEVER, when I looked at Preview or saved the page, it didn't show up at all. Any code I added was stripped. When i disabled the tinyMCE editor, I couldn't even open the page. So reviewing what others posted and did, I tried a few things myself.

1) Copied the code from beadsboy and put it in Dreamweaver and modified the code to reflect where my .swf file was stored (used entire URL) and changed the dimensions of width and height.

2) Went to Joomla, went to Extensions/Plugin Manager and clicked on tinyMCE editor and made the following changes under Plugin Parameters:
a) changed functionality from EXTENDED to SIMPLE
b) Made sure code cleanup on Startup and Save were both to OFF
c) changed entity encoding from NAMED to RAW

3) I went back to the article where I had my FLASH file and at the bottom of the page, clicked on TOGGLE EDITOR. At this point there was no editor to be seen, but it changed the window from a blank page to code. I then pasted in the code I put in dreamweaver and clicked on save. When I toggled the editor it didn't display anything in the window, but the pages online now displayed the movie.

It was a ridiculous fix, but it works in both IE and Firefox. Hope this helps. Oh and when I went back to tinyMCE editor and changed those back, the page still works, but I'll have to be careful when opening back up that article with the flash movie. Thankfully there is no other text associated with that page.

SOAMJENA
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by SOAMJENA » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:40 am

Did anyone ever got it working ?
Web Design, eCommerce and Software Development
Joomla Premium Extensions,Templates and Support Packages

Return to “Administration 1.5”