Move Your Site to Another Server

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ayakomaru
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Move Your Site to Another Server

Post by ayakomaru » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:31 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMING BACK.
I have tried your instruction, but it didn't work for the virtuemart.

I am moving the site from bluehost to Lunarpages.
I think Mysql version is slightly different. in this way, your instruction wont work?

Thank you for your help.
my test site is
http://www.ayakomaru.com/cms

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

zumghalli
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by zumghalli » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:36 am

I just wanted to say thanks for this tip. Everything worked perfectly.

Definitely follow the instructions carefully - its not necessarily tricky - but if you follow them it will work. Of course, we are dealing with hard drives, servers, different versions, and most likely late night/frazzled/novice/reading-the-directions-too-quickly-because-you-have-to-get-this-done-in-20-minutes type of transfers...so things can go wrong. But this was my first Joomla site and transfer from one host to another. It was seamless.

The only thing that I second guessed was this:
"These are the ESSENTIAL FOLDERS to Copy over (and OVERWRITE)"

What exactly is the difference between 'Copy over' and 'OVERWRITE', technically speaking? After exporting the db from the old server/installing joomla to the new server/installing the db to the new server, i used my FTP client (Dreamweaver) and copied over all of those folders (images, templates, admin, etc). Is that the same as OVERWRITING? Everything worked either way.

Anyway...great tutorial. Thanks again!

lateefx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lateefx » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:48 am

Copy Over just means you are putting a duplicate of a pre-existing file on another server.
Overwrite means that you are replacing a file of the same name on another server.

If you already have files of the same name on the new server your FTP program might ask you whether you'd like to "overwrite" or "skip" files that already exist -- the option you would choose is "overwrite" since we want to totally replace everything with the correct files.
zumghalli wrote: The only thing that I second guessed was this:
"These are the ESSENTIAL FOLDERS to Copy over (and OVERWRITE)"

What exactly is the difference between 'Copy over' and 'OVERWRITE', technically speaking? After exporting the db from the old server/installing joomla to the new server/installing the db to the new server, i used my FTP client (Dreamweaver) and copied over all of those folders (images, templates, admin, etc). Is that the same as OVERWRITING? Everything worked either way.

Anyway...great tutorial. Thanks again!

Gergall
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Gergall » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:30 pm

Hello,

I am having a problem moving my site. I moved over the database and the files, and the new server looks MOSTLY good. However, certain specific features are not working properly. For example, there is an "Upcoming Events" section on the homepage. The old server shows lots of Upcoming Events but the new server homepage says "No events".

redlens, I will send you a private message with the URLs for both servers.

Thank you in advance!!

Edit: As a new user I cannot access the PM feature, so I have sent the details as an email instead.

chriscroome
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

No Javascript in the admin interface

Post by chriscroome » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:10 pm

liya wrote:when i transfer the site to another web server (provided by the same hosting service company), the following problem happens:

2. The Admin site is not working properly as well. The main menu dissappears.(see problem_description2.jpg)

I have exactly the same problem and I've tried the obvious things like reinstalling Joomla and clobbering the files with fresh 1.0.15 files but still can't get a admin interface with working javascript...

Did anyone work out what causes this problem and what the answer is?

chriscroome
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chriscroome » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:12 pm

Do'h!

Check your apache error log and make sure the /includes/ directory is readable -- this is what the problem was...

astansifer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by astansifer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:43 pm

thank you so much for this it has helped me out a ton.

One question...

After I have completed this how do I finish step 4
4. Completing the Move...

* You now have to 'OVERWRITE' all of the essential Joomla! folders that site on the new site with the folders from the old site - this will add all of the stuff you've customized like Components & Modules you've installed, Templates and files you've edited, etc...
* These are the ESSENTIAL FOLDERS to Copy over (and OVERWRITE)
o administrator
components
editor
help
images
includes
language
mambots
media
modules
templates
Also on the new sight I set up when in the back room I am getting a restricted error message when trying to access a lot of the administrative options basically everything but the articles. Is this because I have not finished step 4?

thanks for your help!

mpotvin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mpotvin » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:29 pm

I transfered my site to a new server, everything is fine except that my default page (main menu) is still linking to the old website?????? I have transfered a couple of sites so far but never encountered this problem. All the other menu options link to their proper pages on the new site. Anyone has any idea how can this issue be fixed?

tstevenson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tstevenson » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Hello, first I want to thank you for this post.
I'm new to joomla, have successfully created 2 websites with it and love it!
I'm trying to create a third website and copy the database from one of the already created websites. They are on different servers.
I'm not sure if I'm understanding your instructions completely.
I successfully uploaded the joomla install and logged into the administration panel.
Then I went back to the mysql database, logged in and wiped out all the tables in there, then pasted the back up data, all the tables were re-created and everything looked great. Then I went to try and log into the administration panel, it showed up but when I tried to enter the username and password it kept saying it was incorrect. I looked at my configuration.php file and it already said the correct url info in it. I'm wondering if I missed something...should I have completely wiped the original joomla install out of the database before pasting the backup copy?
Please help.

mpotvin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mpotvin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:31 pm

tstevenson wrote:Hello, first I want to thank you for this post.
I'm new to joomla, have successfully created 2 websites with it and love it!
I'm trying to create a third website and copy the database from one of the already created websites. They are on different servers.
I'm not sure if I'm understanding your instructions completely.
I successfully uploaded the joomla install and logged into the administration panel.
Then I went back to the mysql database, logged in and wiped out all the tables in there, then pasted the back up data, all the tables were re-created and everything looked great. Then I went to try and log into the administration panel, it showed up but when I tried to enter the username and password it kept saying it was incorrect. I looked at my configuration.php file and it already said the correct url info in it. I'm wondering if I missed something...should I have completely wiped the original joomla install out of the database before pasting the backup copy?
Please help.

tstevenson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tstevenson » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:37 am

I was reading these threads and thought I would try this. I got it
to work by copying a few files over at a time (after re-installing fresh copy) and selecting the
Add DROP TABLE / VIEW / PROCEDURE / FUNCTION
so I didn't have to worry about deleting certain tables before I pasted the new ones in.
Thank you so much Redlens for posting this tutorial!!

wfleury907
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wfleury907 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:58 pm

Hello thank you for this fantastic tutorial and guide. I have done everything with one problem, however. In step 4 you mentioned OVERWRITING ALL THE ESSENTIAL JOOMLA FOLDERS TO COPY OVER. HOW DO I DO THAT, PLEASE?

I AM NOT ABLE TO SEE THE TEMPLATE THE SITE WAS USING, BUT THE JOOMLA DEFAULT TEMPLATE. PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO OVERWRITE THOSE FOLDERS YOU ARE REFERRING TO.

THANK YOU.

tstevenson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tstevenson » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:10 am

to wfleury907
I'm pretty sure he means to ftp the files to your server. That will overwrite any unmodified Joomla! files you had in those folders with the ones you were working on.

wfleury907
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wfleury907 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:01 am

Please help. I need to overwrite the joomla folders for the last step. Thank you

pinec1975
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pinec1975 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:31 pm

Error
SQL query:

-- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
-- version 2.6.4-pl3
-- http://www.phpmyadmin.net
--
-- Host: db1958.oneandone.co.uk
-- Generation Time: Feb 14, 2010 at 08:46 PM
-- Server version: 5.0.81
-- PHP Version: 4.3.10-200.schlund.1
--
-- Database: `db289603842`
--
CREATE DATABASE `db289603842` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

MySQL said:

#1044 - Access denied for user 'avonval1'@'localhost' to database 'db289603842'

I Have tried to copy and paste the old database and get the error above ??

sogopaulette
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sogopaulette » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:06 pm

Thank you so much for the clear instructions. My first Joomla site was moved over with no problems whatsoever!
-Paulette, Nor-Cal

MSPComparison
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MSPComparison » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:36 am

I think I may have mad a mistake somewhere along the lines of my migration.

I am now getting the error: Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL after importing mySQL and ALL the files (in a rush of excitement).

I have just looked at the configuration.php file which to me looks fine although I'm not a scripty/technical person but a marketeer.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

acreativepage
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by acreativepage » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:17 pm

I followed the instructions but it doesn't seem to be working fro me.
The store is currently here: http://www.acreativepagehosting.com/store/
And after your instructions, this is what the store on the new server looks like: http://suesschocolates.com/store/

What did I do wrong??

douglas1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by douglas1 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:34 am

Hey redlens,
first a HUGE THANK YOU for this post. I have no experience with Joomla so this was very helpful. I copied a site from one url to another and it was very easy.
:D

My issue is that when I select an article in the admin of the new URL it shows me only a white page, so I can't edit the content. The css is there to edit, and the articles show up on the front end, but this problem persists.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

hedera64
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hedera64 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:36 am

I'm trying to make a local test copy of a Joomla 1.0.12 site I inherited, on a Windows 7 Ultimate laptop running Wampserver 2. I found your tutorial after I tried to bring it up, of course, and my attempt didn't work; I just copied the files over, and imported the SQL dump into my database. I can see the menu structure but none of the links work, and I'm getting all kinds of errors like these:

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in C:\wamp\www\rockrid1\public_html\includes\joomla.php on line 836

Deprecated: Function split() is deprecated in C:\wamp\www\rockrid1\public_html\templates\ja_iris\index.php on line 23

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in C:\wamp\www\rockrid1\public_html\templates\ja_iris\ja_templatetools.php on line 791

Do those errors suggest some obvious and simple thing I could fix to get this up??

I understand the migration method you're suggesting, but I'd have to have the install package for Joomla 1.0.12, and I see that the whole 1.x is out of support. Can I still get the install package?
hedera
=========
Nature bats last.

hedera64
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hedera64 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:35 pm

Reading the posts on the Wampserver 2 forum, I found that Joomla doesn't support PHP 5.3; so I downloaded PHP 5.2.9-2 (which is what my ISP runs), and the "Deprecated" errors went away; but I still can't really load the site, just the menus; and I get an error which suggests that I really do have to install Joomla to get any farther:

The requested URL /rockrid1/installation/index.php was not found on this server.

I've been looking for a source where I can download the install package to make a local copy of Joomla 1.0.12 without success. Can you direct me, or am I just up the proverbial creek?
hedera
=========
Nature bats last.

akirayuki13
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by akirayuki13 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Hello, i have followed the instruction given at the first page and still i have errors, see below:
Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/buynlet.net/webmaster/web/includes/version.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /www/sites/5db/b4c/www.buynlet.net/web/includes/joomla.php on line 80
Please help me with this problem. Thanks

anseq
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by anseq » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:49 am

Hey,

I looked so easy, but i guess it messed it up somehow.

I cant see my own date only the basic template, it aint even in the administrator.

I tried deleting it all and do it over and its still the same issue. The site is on www.a60.us if that helps at all.

I tried deleting everthing and uploading my old site again and it still shows the basic template, nothing in administrator so dont know what to do now :(

Any hints would be great.

jimbola
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jimbola » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:27 am

Hi. I recently transferred a website over to a different server as instructed, copying all essential folders etc. The problem I am having however is with the Media Manager. None of the thumbnails are showing up for any of the images, even though they are definitely in the specified folder (I uploaded them twice just to make sure).

Another problem with the media manager is that, when I click on any other folder within it, it doesn't go into that specific folder, it just stays in the main directory.

Also, I have a component called XGallery installed which is a great tool for image galleries, but since I moved it across the page no longer works and I just get the following error message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function exif_imagetype() in \\nas44ent\domains\s\mydomain.com\user\htdocs\components\com_xgallery\helpers\gallery.php on line 22

Has anyone else had the same issues and can you please give me any indication as to where I am going wrong and any possible solutions

Many thanks in advance and apologies if I have not worded this very well.

Jim

Joomuser2212
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Joomuser2212 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:42 pm

Thanks for your posting on how to "Move your site to Another server"... However, I followed your tips according to your instructions, but the new site at first has contents from the development server such as images and links, but if your click on the links, it takes you to the corresponding page on the development server.

The development server is the server that the site was developed on, and the new server/ site is the site that we want to move the developed Joomla site on.

Now, the site: imc-ir.com ..... if clicked on says "Could not connect to MySQL Database" can you please give me pointers and tips to get the site and its contents all in one piece to its new server? Thanks.

pamcc
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by pamcc » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:27 pm

I am moving my site to a different server. I have already done one but I guess I wasn't paying attention when my boss found these folders:
◦administrator
components
editor
help
images
includes
language
mambots
media
modules
templates

and moved them to the new site. Please help!! Where do I find these????

tbeerejo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tbeerejo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:42 pm

Redlens - I need help!!!
I have followed your instructions. Everything worked great, however my site was using the dedicated IP of the host - http://173.201.63.8. When I changed to the live domain name: www.bcbio.com, the site works, but keeps mysteriously reverting back to the ip instead of the domain? I've changed the var $live_site = 'http://www.bcbio.com'; in the config.php file too, but I have no idea why it keeps doing this?

Teresa

tbeerejo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tbeerejo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Thanks for the help!! I figure it out - it was configuration.php after all. The file I was editing wasnt ovverriding the old one becaue of permissions on the server. I changed the permissions briefly, edited the file (changing it to var $live_site = 'http://www.bcbio.com';) and now it works!!! Thanks for the tip though.....

ihartono1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ihartono1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:21 am

hi redlens, thank you for this very helpful tutorial. it does help me a lot in migrating my sites to new hosting.

jpendergrass13
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jpendergrass13 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:58 pm

I followed these instructions to the T - and everything worked great --- That is until I tried to edit a module and hit save. It didn't work. Any suggestions?

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”