Solved! -Newbie - Read Guide - Searched - Subjects not found

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
CaptJim
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Solved! -Newbie - Read Guide - Searched - Subjects not found

Post by CaptJim » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:45 pm

Using Joomla 1.5.14 ... WAMP 2.0i ... Vista 64bit ... Joomla 1.5 Essential Training from Lynda.com w/Joseph LeBlanc
I'm pretty sure I finally got all the WAMPserver stuff working correctly and the Apache port 80/Skype conflicts unraveled... but there are a few things that don't seem right with the Joomla localhost practice stuff I'm doing.
First off. I've created 4 articles, 2 of them for the front page... but in Article Manager I do not have any 'check boxes' to the left of each article's title which means I can not 'trash' or 'move' any articles... and I do want to delete one of the articles. It's as though some part of Joomla was not downloaded properly.
Also, the front page does not say "home" in the box to the left like it does in the tutorial screen... instead I have an error message that says:
Warning: Parameter 1 to modMainMenuHelper::buildXML() expected to be a reference, value given in C:\wamp\www\SnowSportVideos\libraries\joomla\cache\handler\callback.php on line 99

Then there appear to be many options on my New Article editing screen that I don't have, such as a 'font selection' button, et al.

Additionally, on my Article Manager page I have several error messages above my article roster:

Warning: Parameter 1 to JHTMLGrid::access() expected to be a reference, value given in C:\wamp\www\SnowSportVideos\libraries\joomla\html\html.php on line 87

Warning: Parameter 1 to JHTMLGrid::checkedOut() expected to be a reference, value given in C:\wamp\www\SnowSportVideos\libraries\joomla\html\html.php on line 87

Warning: Parameter 1 to JHTMLGrid::access() expected to be a reference, value given in C:\wamp\www\SnowSportVideos\libraries\joomla\html\html.php on line 87

Warning: Parameter 1 to JHTMLGrid::checkedOut() expected to be a reference, value given in C:\wamp\www\SnowSportVideos\libraries\joomla\html\html.php on line 87

...that seemingly came out of nowhere.

Do I need to reinstall something or?

Thanking you in advance for your assistance in this matter.
Last edited by CaptJim on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If at first you don't fricassee... fry, fry a hen."

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Newbie - Read Guide - Searched - Subjects not found

Post by abernyte » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi,

You are using WAMP2 which has php 5.3.0 installed. Joomla 1.5.14 is not yet compatible with that version. Download php 5.2.9 from here and use it and everything should be fine.

http://www.wampserver.com/en/addons_php.php
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

CaptJim
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CaptJim » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:38 pm

Thanks for the nod.

I closed all apps ... uninstalled WAMP 2.0i ... Installed WAMP PHP529.exe ... ended up with an error message window:
"Unable to execute file: C:\wamp\wampmanager.exe
ShellExecuteEx failed; code 2
The system cannot find the file specified.

Any suggestions?

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:50 pm

CaptJim wrote:Download php 5.2.9 from here and use it and everything should be fine.

http://www.wampserver.com/en/addons_php.php
I said download php5.2.9 from that URL which adds onto Wamp2. WAMP will use any of the versions of php from their site that you apply to it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

CaptJim
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CaptJim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:17 am

Well, I ended up Uninstalling everything WAMP and tried Xampp, which I’d noticed in the Joomla Guide as recommended… then I ran into an insurmountable barrier with it… So now I’ve received your message and realized I’d interpreted it wrong earlier… and I suppose I’ll now go ahead and uninstall everything Xampp and start from scratch with the Wamp again… I’ll start with WAMP 2.0i and then apply the PHP529.
This has been quite an ordeal. I’m not good at being idle, but it’s clear to me that had I waited just a few more minutes for your response I would have avoided an almost full day of going in the wrong direction. I had no idea that all this setting up required the effort it does… and I haven’t even been able to really get going on the Joomla tutorials yet because I’m stuck in the mud with this %^*&(.
Your efforts on my behalf are certainly appreciated… I’m just fed up with everything Windows. My friend had his Mac up and running with this same stuff 2 days ago. I’m ready to convert.

CaptJim
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CaptJim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:14 am

OK, I took everything out/off, including Joomla... started from scratch... reinstalled Wamp 2.0i, then Wamp PHP529... everything to the letter, and I still have the same problem. I checked the Wamp specs and they are:
Apache Version :
PHP Version :
Is there some other, earlier version of Wamp I can use that will do the job until Joomla finally gets all the ducks in a row for compatibility with the latest Wamp releases? I don't mind jumping through a few hoops... but this marathon exercise has been more like some sick cosmic joke. Help, Mr. Wizard!
Thanks in advance...

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:19 am

Following are the steps involved in installing configuring WAMP to use PHP 5.2.9. I believe that you have done steps (a) and (b). Follow the instructions from step (c).

(a) Download a lower version of PHP (say 5.2.9) from http://www.wampserver.com/en/addons_php.php.

(b) Install PHP 5.2.9 package that was downloaded from step (a)

(c) Bringup WampServer

(d) Click on the Wampserver icon in the icon tray

(e) Hover the mouse over PHP -> a slider menu will come with options such as Version and PHP Settings.

(f) Hover the mouse over the option Version -> another slier menu will come listing the versions

(g) Hover the mouse over PHP 5.2.9 and click

At time the icon will change color to yellow and come back to normal.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

CaptJim
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CaptJim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:05 am

That's it ! It worked like a charm... Thank you so much... now I can get down to the real business at hand. WOW, what a roller coaster ride... but you brought me back to earth all in one piece. Thanks again.
By the way... how do I show that the issue is resolved?

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:40 am

CaptJim wrote:how do I show that the issue is resolved?
Glad to see you got it all sorted while I slept! Thanks to Imanickam.

Edit your first post and select the green tick as a topic icon and type Solved! in front of the topic title.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”