Help with Form2Content articles not showing right

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
imustbecrazy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Help with Form2Content articles not showing right

Post by imustbecrazy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:51 am

Hi All :)

I'm trying Form2Content for article submission and am apparently confused on the sequence to get articles to appear correctly when published. The articles are appearing with all the form information details, not just the title, text and image as I expected.

Am I not understanding? The site for this doesn't have step by step instructions so I've been looking around but I guess its so new nobody has written much about it yet.

I can't imagine I have to manipulate everything after being submitted. Do I?

All I want is the simpliest submit article form you can get. Title entry, text space with editor, image insert (without seeing joomla backend), text space without editor (even this is optional), only one section and category (no choices).

This is the last piece of my site and I can't get it to work. If you know of a better choice or how to do this please let me know. Thank you so much. :)

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Teresa

uriah_hittite
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Help with Form2Content articles not showing right

Post by uriah_hittite » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:55 am

Hi Teresa, I purchased Form2Content a while ago but I never worked out how to use it properly. I did not find it very easy to use and there was no a lot of help available on their website. So I still do not have a solution to my problem.

So sorry but, I am in the same boat as you.

Does anyone out there know of something similar to form2content?
"What a magnificent shot!
........ No, he's out." - Tony Greig

jbrouns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbrouns » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:55 am

Hi Teresa,

It sounds to me as if you are still using the default templates?
The templates show a lot of technical information about the article, but they don't create a pretty lay-out. They are meant as an example to get you started.

If you are still using the default templates this is what you should do:
  • Create a new template file or copy the default template and modify it (do not modify the default template itself, since it will be overwritten by F2C!)
  • Make sure your template is available in template manager
  • Open your F2C Article and select the new template
  • Save your article
best regards,
Julien
Form2Content Developer

uriah_hittite
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by uriah_hittite » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:18 pm

jbrouns wrote:Create a new template file or copy the default template and modify it (do not modify the default template itself, since it will be overwritten by F2C!)
How do you create a new template? I understand there are two "samples" that come with f2c but how about some step by step instructions on how to create a template?

Where can I find some examples?

jbrouns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbrouns » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:45 am

Hi,

The easiest way to get started is to create a template based on the example templates.
Download a sample template to your PC, change the name of the template and upload it again.

Templates are nothing more than HTML fragments mixed with special codes (fieldcodes) to display F2C content.
Information on building templates can be found here: http://www.opensourcedesign.nl/form2content-templating/

best,
Julien

imustbecrazy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by imustbecrazy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:50 am

Hi Julien,

Thank you for coming here and trying to help us understand. I don't know much about templates or uploading to create my own. I make furniture slipcovers and some websites. When it comes to templates and code I'm pretty limited. I usually use the default and learn what I can to make some changes to make it fit my site. Pretty simple stuff. I'm always afraid I'm going to mess something up. :-[

I know it sounds like a super simple thing to do to you, but if it doesn't have a zipper or seams, I'm lost. I really just want the simplest form. Title, author, text space with editor, image insert (without seeing joomla backend), text space without editor (even this is optional), only one section and category (no choices would be great). That's it. This way they enter the article and it will come to one place and I can find it, edit and publish it.

I know you probably hate it when people try to use your apps who really don't know how to adapt it to their site and we are very thankful to you for all your help.

I can't make changes to the sample template and use it without downloading and renaming?

Thank you for your patience! :)

Teresa

jbrouns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbrouns » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi Teresa,
imustbecrazy wrote:I really just want the simplest form. Title, author, text space with editor, image insert (without seeing joomla backend), text space without editor (even this is optional), only one section and category (no choices would be great). That's it. This way they enter the article and it will come to one place and I can find it, edit and publish it.
The best way to get started is to create your own new content type with the field types you need (editor field, image field, etc.)
F2C will generate a sample template for the new Content Type. Just have a look at the sample template to see how it works and use a copy of that template as a first start.
imustbecrazy wrote:I can't make changes to the sample template and use it without downloading and renaming?
Well, you can modify sample templates, but they will be overwritten when you make changes to your Content Type. When the template is overwritten you will loose your changes.

If you don't have the time to create your own templates, we also offer templating services for F2C. Please contact us for that through our website (www.opensourcedesign.nl)

best,
Julien

uriah_hittite
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by uriah_hittite » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:48 am

It seems as if you are just repeating yourself Julien.
jbrouns wrote:The easiest way to get started is to create a template based on the example templates. Download a sample template to your PC, change the name of the template and upload it again.
It may seem easy to you to just "create a template" but it is not that easy for most people. You don't have much in the way of examples on your website and so far your support is very poor.

I now see whay your are reluctant to help us.....
jbrouns wrote:If you don't have the time to create your own templates, we also offer templating services for F2C. Please contact us for that through our website (www.opensourcedesign.nl)
You just want more money. I spent $95.88 AUD on this component and I expected some support as part of that price. So far you have failed badly.

jbrouns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbrouns » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:54 am

Hi,

If you have actual questions on the component we are happy to help you.
In fact, customers contact us regularly with questions that we answer pretty quickly.

If you are stuck with the component, don't hesitate to e-mail us your questions.
Our support for customer questions is completely free, but that doesn't mean that we will create an entire project for you.

On our demo site customers can try the product, before they buy it, to see if it suits their needs.

Another option is to download the Lite version for free and play around with that before buying the Pro version. The concept of the Lite version is similar to that of the Pro version. The Lite version can be upgraded to the Pro version without losing data. The Lite version has been available for a few months now.

best,
Julien

imustbecrazy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by imustbecrazy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi Julien,

Will it work to rename the template I created from the default one? I can rename it in exTplorer, I think. Sorry I don't understand why the default template shows up differently from one I would copy and rename. I just can't figure out how to download, change and upload. I don't know how to change the file type so I can change it. It keeps coming up as a text file.

I'm trying to learn this. Its the last thing I need to get a great not for profit site working and the only thing I'm stuck on. Not sure I mentioned I'm using the free version if that makes a difference.

Thank you for your help. Sorry there's no money for having you create a template. My time is donated.

Blessings to you,
Teresa

jbrouns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbrouns » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi Teresa,

Yes, renaming the original template should work. The old forms will not work anymore then, because they can't find the original template anymore, but I think in this case that's no problem.

Don't forget to select the new template in your forms. You can also configure this template as the default template in your Content Type settings. Every time you create a new form, the default template will be used.

I hope this helps!

best,
Julien

imustbecrazy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by imustbecrazy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:43 am

Julien,

Thank you so much for trying to help me with this. I can't seem to make it work no matter what I try. So I'm afraid I'll have to abandon the program.

Good luck with the app. I'm sure more advanced users will love it.

Blessings,
Teresa

uriah_hittite
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by uriah_hittite » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:33 am

imustbecrazy wrote:Julien,

Thank you so much for trying to help me with this. I can't seem to make it work no matter what I try. So I'm afraid I'll have to abandon the program.

Good luck with the app. I'm sure more advanced users will love it.

Blessings,
Teresa
I have finally forced myself to stop trying to make this component work. I give up too.

I think there has to be a better way to do this especially if we are going to pay like we had to with F2C.

Avoid this component.... unless you are an advanced user.

pmcnamara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pmcnamara » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:04 am

Uriah, are you still following this thread ? If you are, please post back, I think I can help you.

ravee1010
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ravee1010 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:55 pm

Hi pmcnamara and jbrouns,

I did everything as mentioned here "http://documentation.form2content.com/d ... -front-end" but still am not successful.

Please guide

jbrouns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbrouns » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:33 pm

Hi ravee1010,

The documentation page http://documentation.form2content.com/d ... -front-end contains three articles:

Menu link to the F2C front-end article manager
Front-end article submission using Re-Captcha & required fields
Create a template override for the front-end article manager

Which of these three did you try?
And which version of F2C are you using? (this thread is a very old one, the last post was from Feb 2011!)

best,
Julien

ravee1010
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ravee1010 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:55 am

Hi Jbrouns , yea this is very old thread and i was not expecting reply from any one , thanks for your prompt reply .

I followed -

1) "http://documentation.form2content.com/d ... ep-by-step"

and

2)http://documentation.form2content.com/d ... le-manager

Now i am able to submit articles from front end but those submitted articles cant be viewed in the front end . but if i login then i am able to create New , Copy ,Edit ,Publish ,Unpublish and Delete.

How can i display the articles which are created by registered users from front end to Non registered users .

i.e. I want every one to see the articles created by registered users .

You can check the website "http://newsoftwares.freehostia.com/" the name of the article which i created from front end is "Apple"

Regards
Ravee1010

ravee1010
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ravee1010 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:50 am

Am using Form2Content LITE in joomla 1.6

Regards
Ravi

ravee1010
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ravee1010 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:37 am

Hi Jbrouns ,

Now am able to submit articles from front end and also non registered users are able to view the articles. you can check the site "http://newsoftwares.freehostia.com"

But now the problems are
1)The images which are uploaded from front end is not appearing in the article.
2) The Articles are not appearing in proper format in the front end.
I want users to submit 3 things and want them to appear in the attached format
1 Image
2 Title
3 Article
I want them to appear as they are appearing in the attached image.Is this possible using this extension or not because already i have spent lot of time in this hope you guide me to do this

Regards
Ravee1010
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jbrouns
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbrouns » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi Ravi,

To start with the good news: yes, what you want is possible with F2C Lite for Joomla 1.6.

The main problem here is that your lay-out is not as you want it to be. I can see from your website that you are using the default generated templates.

What you need to do is to create your own intro and main templates, according to the lay-out you need. This requires some HTML and Smarty templating knowledge.

A good start is to have a look at the default generated templates and see what's happening there.
The easiest way to get started is to download the default templates, rename them on your machine and upload them again in Template manager. Use the new templates then as a start.

Here you can see what template parameters you can use:
http://www.form2content.com/component/c ... parameters

You need to mix the template parameters with some custom HTML to achieve the lay-out you need.

Don't forget to assign the new templates to the existing articles!
For new articles you can assign the new templates as "default template" using Content Type Manager.

best,
Julien

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”