Article index page names

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! site? Pop your questions in here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
marglar
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Article index page names

Post by marglar » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:50 am

When I create a multi-page article, the article index gives the article title for the first page and then says "page 2", "page 3", etc. 

I've seen on some sites where the article index for a topic has names for all of the pages.

Could someone please tell me how to name the pages of an article?

Thanks!
Last edited by Tonie on Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hotzi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Article index page names

Post by Hotzi » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:46 am

Please go to Admin Backend -> Mambots -> Pagination.

There you can find a small text with examples, 2 parameter are used.

I did not find a solution, to change the name of the first page.

Best regards

Hotzi

marglar
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by marglar » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:45 pm

That was it!  Thank you for the help!

:D

Dom.S
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dom.S » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:00 am

It seems as though it's impossible to give the first page a name, is that right? That doesn't really bother me except for the fact the tag adds an ugly colon on the end of the article name which then doesn't have anything after it.

For example:

MyWebsite - MyArticle:
MyWebsite - MyArticle: Page 2
MyWebsite - MyArticle: Page 3

It would be nice if either the colon didn't exist unless you were on the second page or greater, or if it was possible to give a title for the first page. Not only is the current setup pretty ugly but I can't imagine it would help SEO as search engines may read the all important title tag as "MyArticle:" instead of "MyArticle"... that could just be paranoia though. :P

Nic
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Nic » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:04 pm

Dom.S wrote: It seems as though it's impossible to give the first page a name, is that right? That doesn't really bother me except for the fact the tag adds an ugly colon on the end of the article name which then doesn't have anything after it.

For example:

MyWebsite - MyArticle:

It would be nice if either the colon didn't exist unless you were on the second page or greater, or if it was possible to give a title for the first page. Not only is the current setup pretty ugly but I can't imagine it would help SEO as search engines may read the all important title tag as "MyArticle:" instead of "MyArticle"... that could just be paranoia though. :P
You could remove the display of the current page (i.e. "Page 2", "Page 3") in the title at all. This would also remove the colon.

To do this go to admin backend > Mambots > Site Mambots > MOS Pagination and set "Site Title" to NO.

Hope this helps.

Nic

Dom.S
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dom.S » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:10 pm

That is very helpful and something I was completely unaware of. Thanks.  :)

Nic
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Nic » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:18 pm

Glad to be of help Dom.S!

I tried finding a way to remove just the colon and keep the "Page 2", "Page 3" etc. or - even better - just remove the colon on the first page because it really looks strange without being followed by anything, but I couldn't find where it was added. I figured it should be somewhere in mospaging.php but no luck.

If anyone can shed some insight on where exactly the ":" is added to the title it would be really great!

Nic

Nic
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Nic » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:18 pm

Ok, I'm here to answer my own question  :D

The problem:

If "Site Titles" is set to "Yes" in the "MOS Pagination" mambot's settings but no title or heading is defined with {mospagebreak title=The page title&heading=The first page}, the mambot will append a "Page 2", "Page 3" etc. to the tag of the page 2, page 3 etc. but NOT to the very first page. The site titles look like this:

MyWebsite - MyArticle:

As you notice the first page has the ":" colon although there is nothing following it.

The solution:

To change this we must modify the file mambots/content/mospaging.php. Search for this code (line 80 in J1.0.7):

Code: Select all

} else {
  $row->page_title = '';
}
Solution A: If you want it to set the to "MyWebsite - MyArticle: Page 1" on the first page remove the whole else statement, so the code would look like this:

}

Solution B: If you want it to set the to "MyWebsite - MyArticle" - without any page number - on the first page change it to:

} else {
  $row->page_title = NULL;
}

I really think this should be considered a bug and fixed.

Nic

Edit: Changed solution
Last edited by Nic on Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nic
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Nic » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:22 pm

Dom.S wrote: It seems as though it's impossible to give the first page a name, is that right? ...
Sorry Dom.S,

I just noticed THAT question in your post. Before I figured you just want to get rid of the colon. Of course it is possible to give the first page a name. You have to change the very first {mospagebreak} into this:

{mospagebreak heading=Title of the first page&title=Title of the second page}

All following mospagebreaks would just look like this:

{mospagebreak title=Title of the third page}
{mospagebreak title=Title of the fourth page}
etc.

Cheers,
Nic

Return to “Administration - 1.0.x”