The Joomla! Forum ™






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Getting the Word Out!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:36 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:11 pm
Posts: 190
Location: Inland Empire, California, USA
I posted this comment on the Joomla! Community Magazine Relaunch Status Thread on ATAAW:

I ran onto the Joomla! Community Twitter account http://twitter.com/comm_joomla that has sat unused since July 2009, probably do to lack of anything like a magazine to "tout"! Maybe once the Magazine is back in production, we could use that account for the Communities benefit, instead of it being a "dead" thing!

What other avenues other than the Joomla.org will be considered places that we can "get the word" out about the Magazine?
I'm a member of several Joomla! oriented groups on FB, so I'd be happy to pass on the info, once the magazine is running!


Paul Suggested I start the Topic here!

_________________
http://OnTheMarkDesign.com

Joomla! Community Magazine Team Member


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:18 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Online

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:38 am
Posts: 13396
Location: Sydney - Australia
I think using that Twitter account would be great, or perhaps we could just push it all out via the @joomla one? www.twitter.com/joomla is the direct link.

What other places do you think need our support to make it happen?

_________________
Brad Baker - Follow me on Google+
http://www.rochen.com - Joomla! Hosting, the correct way.
http://www.joomlatutorials.com <-- Joomla Help & Tutorials
^Now with Joomla 2.5 and Joomla 3.0 Tutorials


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:35 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:11 pm
Posts: 190
Location: Inland Empire, California, USA
brad wrote:
I think using that Twitter account would be great, or perhaps we could just push it all out via the @joomla one? http://www.twitter.com/joomla is the direct link.

What other places do you think need our support to make it happen?


I know that Joomla! and the Joomla! Community can support 2 twitter accounts.

Community related matters could go out to the comm_joomla account.

Do you know who has access to the Joomla! Community Twitter account?

_________________
http://OnTheMarkDesign.com

Joomla! Community Magazine Team Member


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:42 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Online

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:38 am
Posts: 13396
Location: Sydney - Australia
I'm not sure who has access to comm_joomla, but I can probably track it down. I searched through some emails, and the decision to use just @joomla was made to keep things simple for the public to follow the project via one account.

In my mind, I could be convinced either way, but it seems to me some people who setup the Twitter integration with the community.joomla.org site already considered the option of using a separate account and choose to use the main one instead.

If we had two, for example, I can see a duplication of posts. For example, security updates, which account handles them? What about blog posts? Events? etc etc

_________________
Brad Baker - Follow me on Google+
http://www.rochen.com - Joomla! Hosting, the correct way.
http://www.joomlatutorials.com <-- Joomla Help & Tutorials
^Now with Joomla 2.5 and Joomla 3.0 Tutorials


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:04 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:51 am
Posts: 278
Location: Parker, Colorado USA
brad wrote:
If we had two, for example, I can see a duplication of posts. For example, security updates, which account handles them? What about blog posts? Events? etc etc


Thanks Brad that is a good point. A related limitation is that the extension which sends the tweets based on content updates only supports sending from one Twitter account.

If anything, I think we would get broader exposure having the tweets go out to everyone on the main Joomla! Twitter account.

_________________
Paul Orwig


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:06 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Online

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:38 am
Posts: 13396
Location: Sydney - Australia
We can always make changes in the future if need be. Either way, just let me know if/what you need.

_________________
Brad Baker - Follow me on Google+
http://www.rochen.com - Joomla! Hosting, the correct way.
http://www.joomlatutorials.com <-- Joomla Help & Tutorials
^Now with Joomla 2.5 and Joomla 3.0 Tutorials


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:06 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:11 pm
Posts: 190
Location: Inland Empire, California, USA
brad wrote:
I'm not sure who has access to comm_joomla, but I can probably track it down. I searched through some emails, and the decision to use just @joomla was made to keep things simple for the public to follow the project via one account.

That would be really nice!
brad wrote:
In my mind, I could be convinced either way, but it seems to me some people who setup the Twitter integration with the community.joomla.org site already considered the option of using a separate account and choose to use the main one instead.

Now that we have an active team for the Magazine, that might help to energize the Joomla! Community.
brad wrote:
If we had two, for example, I can see a duplication of posts. For example, security updates, which account handles them? What about blog posts? Events? etc etc

Anything dealing with security issues, updates, or any core Joomla! issue will be on the main.
Community, Magazine, blogs, and events are all community related issues, so they would go out on the community twitter feed.

I'm sure it wouldn't very difficult to gather a list of what subject matters/topics will go in each twitter feed. They should be pretty obvious!

_________________
http://OnTheMarkDesign.com

Joomla! Community Magazine Team Member


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:13 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:51 am
Posts: 278
Location: Parker, Colorado USA
OnTheMarkDesign wrote:
Anything dealing with security issues, updates, or any core Joomla! issue will be on the main.
Community, Magazine, blogs, and events are all community related issues, so they would go out on the community twitter feed.

I'm sure it wouldn't very difficult to gather a list of what subject matters/topics will go in each twitter feed. They should be pretty obvious!

Mark, every new article published on the Community site gets a tweet from the main Twitter account. This is [drive] by an extension installed on the Community site. The extension allows us to configure what new section/category article triggers a tweet, but it does not support using multiple Twitter accounts.

_________________
Paul Orwig


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:57 pm 
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:35 pm
Posts: 7056
Location: Nebraska
Will the magazine will be on it's own site? If so, maybe a post on community (and tweet) might announce the new issue, and a series of tweets could go out on the other account, one for each article? An idea - the consolidation also makes sense. Having multiple accounts means you can keep the Joomla! account lean for those who don't want as much detail. Either way and also easy to experiment with and see what folks think.

Paul - when are you going to join us in Twitter and learn to Tweet and become a Twit? ;-)

_________________
http://Twitter.com/AmyStephen
http://www.alltogetherasawhole.org/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:36 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:51 am
Posts: 278
Location: Parker, Colorado USA
Amy, yes the magazine will be on it's own J! instance at community.joomla.org/magazine. So from that standpoint we could install the Twitter extension there and configure it to use the either the main Joomla! or the Community Twitter accounts (assuming it will recognize K2 content categories-we'd have to check on that). As Brad pointed out, a previous decision was made to run all the tweets through the main Twitter account. If we want to resurrect the Community Twitter account for the magazine then I think we should try to go back and learn more about the reasons for shutting it down in the first place.

When the magazine goes live, there will be links to the magazine from the Community site's home page. Airton and I are having discussions now about an overall restructuring of the home page content, and we both agree on setting aside some space for the magazine. So that's how I was thinking we could use the existing Twitter account on the Community site to promote the magazine.

Given my conscientious objector status for Twitter (thanks for the invitation but I am actually trying hard these days to be less connected ;D ), I can't really say if most true Twits would rather sign up for separate Community Twitter feed or if they would prefer to just get magazine tweets from the main account. It still seems to me that we would get broader exposure if the magazine tweets went out to everyone...

_________________
Paul Orwig


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:50 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:58 am
Posts: 10154
Location: Hillerød - Denmark
Using the main twitter account sounds favorable in terms of getting the word out.

With close to 8K subscribers and counting, and then adding the re-twets I would say we in no time get in touch we the right audience. :)

Could be an idea though, when Magazine is at its own site, to have a teaser community blog for each issue for to keep the sites linked.

Anyway - Good work folks, great to follow how this takes form!

_________________
Ole Bang Ottosen
redCOMPONENT Community Manager http://redcomponent.com
Personligt site www.ot2sen.dk
Dansk Joomla! support websted - joomla.dk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:41 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:51 am
Posts: 278
Location: Parker, Colorado USA
ot2sen wrote:
Could be an idea though, when Magazine is at its own site, to have a teaser community blog for each issue for to keep the sites linked.


Thanks Ole, I think your idea to have a community blog for each issue is a great idea!

_________________
Paul Orwig


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:17 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:11 pm
Posts: 190
Location: Inland Empire, California, USA
porwig wrote:
Amy, yes the magazine will be on it's own J! instance at community.joomla.org/magazine. So from that standpoint we could install the Twitter extension there and configure it to use the either the main Joomla! or the Community Twitter accounts (assuming it will recognize K2 content categories-we'd have to check on that). As Brad pointed out, a previous decision was made to run all the tweets through the main Twitter account. If we want to resurrect the Community Twitter account for the magazine then I think we should try to go back and learn more about the reasons for shutting it down in the first place.


Have you found any info about why the Joomla! Community Twitter account was shut down?

The Joomla! Community Twitter feed certainly won't be any "threat" to the Main Joomla! Twitter Account. Why not make it easy for those Community members who want to know what is going on in the Joomla! Community!
porwig wrote:
Given my conscientious objector status for Twitter (thanks for the invitation but I am actually trying hard these days to be less connected ;D ), I can't really say if most true Twits would rather sign up for separate Community Twitter feed or if they would prefer to just get magazine tweets from the main account. It still seems to me that we would get broader exposure if the magazine tweets went out to everyone...


Yes we can get some broad exposure on the Main Joomla! Twitter feed, but what about those in the Community who want to only know about what is going on in the Joomla! Community?

The 2 Joomla! feeds can certainly work together as allies, rather than as separate uncommunicative entities who can't/won't work with each other towards a common goal.

_________________
http://OnTheMarkDesign.com

Joomla! Community Magazine Team Member


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:59 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:51 am
Posts: 278
Location: Parker, Colorado USA
OnTheMarkDesign wrote:
Have you found any info about why the Joomla! Community Twitter account was shut down?

Based on an email I received last summer, it was decided to drop the comm_joomla twitter account and run everything from the main Joomla account following a request from OSM and the Joomla social media group. It was explained that it's a matter of keeping our footprint low and of leaving the decisions and actions about this to the people who take care of social media.

OnTheMarkDesign wrote:
The Joomla! Community Twitter feed certainly won't be any "threat" to the Main Joomla! Twitter Account. Why not make it easy for those Community members who want to know what is going on in the Joomla! Community!

I don't really think this is seen as a "threat". Isn't it easy enough now for Community members to keep up with what is going on in the Joomla! Community simply by subscribing to the main Joomla! Twitter account? All new articles added to the Community site get tweets.

OnTheMarkDesign wrote:
Yes we can get some broad exposure on the Main Joomla! Twitter feed, but what about those in the Community who want to only know about what is going on in the Joomla! Community?

How do you define what content is "only about what is going on in the Joomla! Community" versus what content pertains to what is going on with the project as a whole? I don't know how we could clearly separate one from the other. Even if we could, I don't think we could be confident that all or most users would share those definitions.

OnTheMarkDesign wrote:
The 2 Joomla! feeds can certainly work together as allies, rather than as separate uncommunicative entities who can't/won't work with each other towards a common goal.

I don't agree with the premise of this statement. Hopefully my responses above help to explain what I think the rationale is for consolidating everything through the main Joomla! Twitter account.

_________________
Paul Orwig


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:11 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:11 pm
Posts: 190
Location: Inland Empire, California, USA
Since the first issue isn't even ready for publication, the amount of interest in it (currently growing each day) is small, that shall change as time passes.

Using the Main Joomla Twitter account will be able to accomplish a lot more than the Joomla! Community account.

Later, down the road, if the Community demand warrants it, it can be looking into at that time.

_________________
http://OnTheMarkDesign.com

Joomla! Community Magazine Team Member


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:24 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:51 am
Posts: 278
Location: Parker, Colorado USA
Thanks Mark, I think that is a good plan as far as Twitter goes.

I would be interested to hear if you or others have more ideas regarding how we can get the word out about the magazine!

_________________
Paul Orwig


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:48 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:56 am
Posts: 12557
Location: The Girly Side of Joomla in Sussex
dare i mention hashtagging the "joomymag" or whatever you want to call it?

_________________
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{Community.Connect Administrator }{ Showcase & Security Moderator}


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:31 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:51 am
Posts: 278
Location: Parker, Colorado USA
Assuming the Twitter component will work with K2 content categories, I think that's a great idea.

Thanks mandville!

_________________
Paul Orwig


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:55 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:40 pm
Posts: 1
Hi! My name is Martin and this is my first forumpost. What about Facebook for getting "the word out" or maybe make a banner or button for us to place on our bloggs and webpages.

_________________
http://gatupratare.blogg.se
http://trafikspegel.blogg.se


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:23 pm 
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:12 pm
Posts: 510
Great idea.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:22 am 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:12 am
Posts: 2
Many years ago there was alot of fanzines. Nowadays with all the ipads around i would like a pdf zine to download for my ipad. What about that to get the word out!

_________________
Please read the forum rules regarding the user of signatures: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group