Urgently Need Help !!!!

Moderator: imanickam

tamilselvan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Urgently Need Help !!!!

Post by tamilselvan » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:24 pm

Hi...

Last couple of days I some free time, so I thought of utilizing the time to translate the 3 language files for making myown Tamil Language Pack and I've successfully completed it (I know Sen was doing the Tamil Language Translation, but haven't heard from him for long time).

However, I did a STUPID thing at the end by opening it in MS-WORD and saving it accidentally.

It spoiled the file format and I tried many ways to recover it, but no success. Now the pack is not working properly, I am planning to re-do it. Before that I want to check with you guys, is there any utility or trick to revive the file, without re-doing it?

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks

TamilSelvan
Last edited by tamilselvan on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vish
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Urgently Need Help !!!!

Post by Vish » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:22 pm

tamilselvan

That is very unfortunate...

So you saved it as *non-unicode* or ASCII format? What if you save it again as something else but in UTF-8?

What editor did you use for this translation?

Can you put the file here or email me...I will give it a try !! and see if I can recover it...
Last edited by Vish on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Vish "Still Learning"

tamilselvan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tamilselvan » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:55 am

Hi.. Vish,

Thanks for your swift reply.

I've located the exact problem, hope to sort it out soon.

Some how, all the single & double quotes have been replaced by Smart Quotes.
Therefore, I was getting the error. Now trying to fix them and try it again.
If it doesn't work, no problem, I can re-do them in couple of hours.

If you wish to look at my files still I can send you. But I don't want to release them now,
as I could not find few exact terms in Tamil, I still rate them as Beta in the current state.

I have few more queries too. But don't know whether to post here or PM you.

If you don't mind I want to raise a small point here. You have done a great job by
releasing Hindi language pack, however I have noticed you are using many English terms
typed in Hindi words, such as न्यूज़ (News) ,  डाउनलोडस् (Downloads),  सेटिंग्स (settings),
यूज़र मैन्यु (user menu) सॉफ्टवेयर (software) in joomaindia.org/indicjoomla.org.

I am not comfortable & I will not recommend in using such english terms as it is in our
language pack, it doesn't solve the purpose of having a "language pack". Hope this is not
hurting you, please take it in the sprit of having a "complete" Indic language pack, nothing else.

Secondly, is it a MUST to use the UTF-8 encoding? As my Tamil forums are comfortably running
in ISO-8859-1 already? Any advantage vs disadvantages?

Thanks

TamilSelvan
Last edited by tamilselvan on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vish
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Vish » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:57 am

tamilselvan wrote: ...

I have few more queries too. But don't know whether to post here or PM you.

If you don't mind I want to raise a small point here. You have done a great job by
releasing Hindi language pack, however I have noticed you are using many English terms
typed in Hindi words, such as न्यूज़ (News) ,  डाउनलोडस् (Downloads),  सेटिंग्स (settings),
यूज़र मैन्यु (user menu) सॉफ्टवेयर (software) in joomaindia.org/indicjoomla.org.

I am not comfortable & I will not recommend in using such english terms as it is in our
language pack, it doesn't solve the purpose of having a "language pack". Hope this is not
hurting you, please take it in the sprit of having a "complete" Indic language pack, nothing else.
tamilselvan

I think it is OK to discuss this issue here. No, I am not hurt or anything you bringing this up. I actually gave it a lot of thought before I made my mind to use these terms. Especially the one you have mentioned....

I will discuss it here/ That day, I was watching Aaj Tak. And I noticed that in a strictly HINDI news channel, how they were writing Hindi on screen. I am sure you will not be surprised if I tell you that they were using   न्यूज़ instead of समाचार !!!

Since it has been a while since I visited India, my perception of how the day today language works is limited to these news and other channels I have here. I also noticed once that even not so very educated people ARE confortable with such day to day words.

So, based on this I chose to use these words. I am still open to ideas.

Secondly, is it a MUST to use the UTF-8 encoding? As my Tamil forums are comfortably running
in ISO-8859-1 already? Any advantage vs disadvantages?
Well, I am surprised to hear that Tamil is working using ISO-8859-1 encoding !! Can you point me to this forum?
Last edited by Vish on Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Vish "Still Learning"

tamilselvan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tamilselvan » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:28 pm

Since it has been a while since I visited India, my perception of how the day today language works is limited to these news and other channels I have here. I also noticed once that even not so very educated people ARE confortable with such day to day words.

So, based on this I chose to use these words. I am still open to ideas.
English influence is there everywhere in India, not only in media & educated people, even it has reached to the milkman to villagemen (you have to bear their Lalluji accent) . But, we should not be an instrument to ruin our language, we should be a model for them to change. I am sure our languages have good base & resouce to withstand and we must support by enriching with new words.
Well, I am surprised to hear that Tamil is working using ISO-8859-1 encoding !! Can you point me to this forum?
http://www.tamilmantram.com

I am attaching my translation files for your review, please look into it and give me your precious suggestions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vish
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Vish » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:41 pm

tamilselvan

Point noted. I will think about it more !!

About the encoding. I will be honest. I do not know if you have to have UTF-8 or not. But I am sure it will not be a bug deal as it can be changed anytime...

Is this tamil language file complete? Is it ready to be published?

Regards
--Vish
--Vish "Still Learning"

tamilselvan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tamilselvan » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:22 pm

Vish wrote: Is this tamil language file complete? Is it ready to be published?
Vish,

Of course, it's complete, but I don't want to release it now, due to following 3 reasons:

1) I want your suggestions as to how to make it more "complete pack"? Do I have to translate anything more? such as SQL files, Images, etc.
2) Trying to find exact terms for some of the words.
3) I want to make few small corrections, this will be done by tomorrow.

Till all these are completed, I want to call it as Beta.

Vish
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Vish » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:34 pm

1) I want your suggestions as to how to make it more "complete pack"? Do I have to translate anything more? such as SQL files, Images, etc.
2) Trying to find exact terms for some of the words.
3) I want to make few small corrections, this will be done by tomorrow.[quote][/quote]

-Well, I wouldn't say you have to translate the SQL, but I think it be nice to have them...I guess...
--Vish "Still Learning"

tamilselvan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tamilselvan » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:47 am

Vish wrote:
-Well, I wouldn't say you have to translate the SQL, but I think it be nice to have them...I guess...
1) I am currently testing Tamil language pack in a demo site of mine. The Menus and Headings are still showing in English. However, your hindi pack demo site's menus and headings are in hindi. Did I miss anything?

2)  What is the best way to convert a SQL file? BTW, How did you convert the sample data?

3) I want to change the Days & Months showed also in Tamil, is there any way?

4) In PDF display the tamil characters are not displaying properly. I need to work on this. Any suggestion?
Last edited by tamilselvan on Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vish
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Vish » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:49 am

I am currently testing Tamil language pack in a demo site of mine. The Menus and Headings are still showing in English. However, your hindi pack demo site's menus and headings are in hindi. Did I missed anything?
Yes, that is true. In IndicJoomla! distribution, along with the language, I also did some work on joomla.sql file such that it insert menu, categories and so on in HIndi. Once the language file is done, Log into the backend and start changing stuff there. Once its done, take a back up of the SQL. I then edited this SQL such that it can be used in the installation too. If I remember correctly, I changed the database to #__ and that was it...

For example, say if your database name is "demo". When you take a back up of this database, the SQLs will look something like

insert into demo_weblinks ......and so on

I change this into

insert into #__weblinks

I hope this makes sense...

This also answers your secong questions
I want to change the Days & Months showed also in Tamil, is there any way?
In your /includes/joomla.php you will need to hardcode this. Please see a function called mosFormatDate in IndicJoomla distribution for more details.
In PDF display the tamil characters are not displaying properly. I need to work on this. Any suggestion?
As of Joomla 1.0.7, PDF does not work for Indic Languages. I have it disabled in IndicJoomla distribution. It will be supported in Joomla 1.1

I hope this helps
--Vish "Still Learning"

Sen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sen » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:55 am

Sorry guys, I was trying to figure out how to do the translations. It was pre-1.0.5, I posted on a thread asking for instructions, but didn't receive any responses. So, I put it away and didn't get it done.

Tamilselvan, if you still need some help, getting exact translations, etc, I can help you with that.

booshan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by booshan » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:57 pm

Hi Tamil Selvan,

Congradulations on your good work. I am very interested to see the Joomla Tamil module. Please inform us when it is ready.

Thanks
Booshan

Return to “Indic Languages Forum”