Turn phpbb3 into a joomla component?

Discuss the integratoin of phpbb and Joomla! here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Radio
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Turn phpbb3 into a joomla component?

Post by Radio » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:31 pm

Instead of using bridges or hacks to try and integrate phpbb with joomla why not just reprogram phpbb3 into a fully installable joomla component ? it would solve all the problems and produce a decent forum for joomla finally! I'm probably at a stage where I could attempt something like this my self but I couldn't support it and I don't like to think about all the work involved in trying to track all the updates etc. :eek: Maybe someone should try and put together a team of volunteers or something. Even better now that the main developers of phpbb and joomla seem to have teamed up by using phpbb3 as the forum for this site why don't they just merge the open source projects, Image the awesome power that would be unleashed if joomla and phpbb became a single system 8)

mlinden
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Turn phpbb3 into a joomla component?

Post by mlinden » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:08 pm

I couldn't agree more.

Fireboard doesn't appear nearly as elegant as phpBB and doesn't work with Joomfish 2.0 at the moment either.

Kingfisher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kingfisher » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:13 am

I agree with the original poster - don't know what obstacles there would be but the need definitely is there..........

amar_strange
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by amar_strange » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:25 am

i agree to the poster/..

4thdesign
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by 4thdesign » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:09 pm

Guys,

I think that is a great idea. I am not a programmer though.

However.....I am willing to pay someone to do this. Obviously not just for me, but for the community. I love Joomla, and have been using it for about a year, and i am very impressed by it. But this phpbb3 being a component of Joomla, would be extremely popular. Fireboard is great, but it does lack a lot of functionality that phpbb3 has.

Who wants my money?
PM please

m8trix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by m8trix » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:53 pm

LOL like your style

This would be fantastic, If someone could do it. I have been torn between keeping my phpBB 3 with the CB bridge which works fantastic but does not integrate with Joomla systems or using agora or fireboard that does. Its like trading a Corvette or Caddy for a station wagon. I hope this is a suggestion that is taken seriously. The only thing I think would stand in the way is if somehow the license of phpBB prohibited somehow to be used in that fashion. Or visa versa :pop

Even better now that the main developers of phpbb and joomla seem to have teamed up by using phpbb3 as the forum for this site why don't they just merge the open source projects, Image the awesome power that would be unleashed if joomla and phpbb became a single system 8)
Hate to be a downer I do not see a merger anytime soon on that . But it would be great to see them make a component together that they both support. The phpBB component could be a trump card for both. It would give a nice alternative to both Joomla CMS and those that want to keep it like that and the phpBB community who love to tinker and create their own hacks and mods. A multitude of choices for excellent communities.

4thdesign2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 4thdesign2 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:07 pm

As mentioned, my money is waiting.

Anyone want to take me up on the offer? Ensure both communities are cool withthe idea, then PM me. ;)

goobu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by goobu » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:32 pm

What is the "CB Bridge"?

I need to put up a phpB forum for my Joomla site and can't wait for the development described above (but I too would be willing to pay for such a product).

Someone mentioned above about a "CB Bridge" for use with a PHPBB3 forum. Can someone point me to that bridge?

m8trix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by m8trix » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:52 am

Its the CB connector it runs through community builder . I have to say it really works great with joomla 1.0 . You first have to first installCommunity Builder then you will have to add this pluggin http://cbconnector.com/index.php?option ... e&Itemid=1 which is the bridge. Its in the last part of the Beta phase with most of the bugs out of it . I have one site that runs it and I love it seemless almost but still not a component which would make it a smoother fit

kenzo2000
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kenzo2000 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:01 am

m8trix wrote:Its the CB connector it runs through community builder . I have to say it really works great with joomla 1.0 . You first have to first installCommunity Builder then you will have to add this pluggin http://cbconnector.com/index.php?option ... e&Itemid=1 which is the bridge. Its in the last part of the Beta phase with most of the bugs out of it . I have one site that runs it and I love it seemless almost but still not a component which would make it a smoother fit
Hi! Alternative way?

Moonstone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Moonstone » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:20 am

The Postnuke community has had PNphpBB for years, a fully-integrated phpBB for the Postnuke CMS. It integrates the login, integrates the forums visually, and comes with a multi-block for your front page (the equivalent of a Joomla module that shows latest forum posts). It's developed by a third party and what you'll find on the majority of Postnuke sites.

If we had, say, a JphpBB...you'd find it on the majority of Joomla! sites, also. And I'd be one of the first people to donate to the project and download it.

Mantaii
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Mantaii » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:18 pm

I think this would be a great idea and one that I would pay for if it was made commercial, I would prefer if it was donations mind you but either way it would solve a lot of problems.

Im keen to have phpbb intregrated in to my Joomla setup but there doesnt seem to be any easy way of doing it (that I have found yet) and having it as a component would be ace!

4thdesign2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 4thdesign2 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:57 pm

As mentioned earlier.

My money is waiting. Come on community.....lets get this up and running. ;)

Mantaii
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Mantaii » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:42 pm

I would give it a bash if I knew where to start lol. Only been using Joomla for about a month and even then I have spent most of that trying to find a way of getting PHPbb to work on Joomla!

O.

normdouglas
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by normdouglas » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:27 pm

In my opinion, Fireboard works very well, and integrates with Joomla and Community Builder... However phpBB works just perfectly all on it's own. I have sites where I have used phpBB side by side with Joomla and it works well.

I'm not so sure of the value in this.
Step1. Read the instructions. Step2. Refer to step 1. Step 3. Backup

Waffa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Waffa » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:08 pm

right now this seems to be one good option : http://jfusion.chipin.com/jfusion3 / http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

even in alpha it seems to work nice .. but yeah.. to just have phpBB3 for Joomla would be great.

Waffa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Waffa » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:11 pm

Wait a minute.. this forum HERE works whit is Powered by phpBB.. does anyone know how its integrated here?
It seems to work really nicely.

normdouglas
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by normdouglas » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:45 am

Who says this is a Joomla site? It could just be wrapped, or a custom header... although the source code does have some Joomla code, but doesn't look entirely like a Joomla site.

tedece
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tedece » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:02 pm

Oh guys i have found this phpbb3 integration with CB on this site, it works perfectly too...

http://joomla.batjo.nl/forum/index.php

We have to wait that all these people teach us...

Good night

men79
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by men79 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:48 pm

Will you help me to do this...below. Jooma 1.5
tedece wrote:Oh guys i have found this phpbb3 integration with CB on this site, it works perfectly too...

http://joomla.batjo.nl/forum/index.php

We have to wait that all these people teach us...

Good night
Sorry for my bad english !

Signature rules: No Affiliate Links! - http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

jimmyjimjames
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jimmyjimjames » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:34 am

Hi Guys

i am to looking for phpBB 3 for joomla and have seriouse thoughts about developing it somehow... Only things that hold me back are:
  • i have only been programming for few months and my knowledge is not great. I've been building a component (my first) and have been since october is
    and i dont know were to start
So i a i guess more senior programmer comes on board to help out and get things started and point me in the right direction with things im mnore than happy to get things going with a "JphpBB"

P.S only if phpBB are ok with it :)
James Ashworth
NCCG
http://www.nccg.com.au
Phone/Fax: (08) 9249 4008

theway2getme
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by theway2getme » Mon May 04, 2009 10:53 pm

Support the idea of the original topic poster

"Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting." - Elizabeth Bibesco

http://www.pointam.com

Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Alter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:09 pm

agree totally.

I tried to find a forum that integrates nicely with joomla and none out there do what phpbb does.

Please please please make phpbbx a joomla component :D

4thdesign2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 4thdesign2 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:13 pm

4 years almost since the original post......and still....nothing.

Looks like it will never happen unfortunately. I still have money in my bank account, so....someone want to get the ball rolling and speak with the relevant communities, lets see who is gonna do this?

To be really honest, I would even pay for this component, its MUCH needed throughout the whole of the joomla community. Surprised no-one has gotten anywhere with it.

normdouglas
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by normdouglas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:43 am

4thdesign2 wrote:4 years almost since the original post......and still....nothing.

Looks like it will never happen unfortunately. I still have money in my bank account, so....someone want to get the ball rolling and speak with the relevant communities, lets see who is gonna do this?

To be really honest, I would even pay for this component, its MUCH needed throughout the whole of the joomla community. Surprised no-one has gotten anywhere with it.
4 Years? Not sure how you got to that equation.

Personally for large forums, I would prefer to keep them separate, and for other forums, Kunena is doing a very good job.

4thdesign2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 4thdesign2 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:03 pm

Sorry, i got to almost 4 years, as the original post was made back in 2006.

I see your point in having separate forums, but....it was only my opinion in having phpbb 3 or otherwise, integrated using a component. I bow to your knowledge, as i am only an amateur, but.....if you stuck a poll up, i would guess that this choice would be very popular.

Moonstone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Moonstone » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:05 pm

normdouglas wrote:Personally for large forums, I would prefer to keep them separate, and for other forums, Kunena is doing a very good job.
I'm confused, as a Joomla user, why would you want them to be separate? If you don't prefer seamless integration, why are you even using Joomla in the first place?

Many agree that phpBB3 is one of the best options there, even the folks here at Joomla, who are using it for their own forums. I'd personally love to see a phpBB version of Joomla. Something that integrates like (since you dropped names) Kunena. I know that many others in the community would agree.

Again, Postnuke has had PNphpBB for years. I'm confident that a version for Joomla could work.

normdouglas
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by normdouglas » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:16 am

The reason that many times any integration is not required, is that the forum is the only place I want "users" on the site. Most often there is no need for integration.

Trust me there is FAR more to Joomla than simple user based stuff. Joomla is a web development platform... simple.

Cheers

Moonstone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Moonstone » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:40 am

normdouglas wrote:The reason that many times any integration is not required, is that the forum is the only place I want "users" on the site. Most often there is no need for integration.
Not for my purposes. I run several MMO guild websites where our users want (at bare minimum) a forum, screenshot gallery, shoutbox, and the ability for our guild leader to post news articles. A universal login and complete integration is a must for me.

Everyone is different. Just because you may not personally see the need for something, doesn't mean someone else doesn't. In fact, there seems to be a huge desire for it in the community. Otherwise, bridge solutions like JFusion and Rokbridge wouldn't exist.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:10 am

Desire is one thing, building it is something else entirely. The amount of work to properly merge Joomla and PHPBB (style, admin interface, user management, etc) will be very big. Also doing patches/upgrades to PHPBB/Joomla are not going to be trivial. Might be the reason developers use bridges.

Return to “phpbb - Joomla! Integration”