Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 Released

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
WhizKid789
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 Released

Post by WhizKid789 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:38 am

Wow! It sounds good! :) But I'm going to stick with 1.5 until stable is released.

codeart
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Joomla 1.6+ (1.7) installer suggestion

Post by codeart » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:37 pm

Thank You for this support - could it be worth to write some Joomla official tutorial for this, making this knowledge to become easier accessible? ;)

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:40 pm

Tonie wrote:@bzsolt. 1.6 is not out, only an alpha 2 release. Before the final version comes out, there will be at least one beta.

is it possible for everyone surfing the home page of Joomla to see a fourth image next to "Get started", "Learn" and "Download" an important message like Joomla needs you ?

Just for new devs / helpers / testers that now could have a little of time for joomla

I hope to have written a useful idea...
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

gavugremlin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gavugremlin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:09 am

hi, i was trying to take a look into the new joomla 1.6 but the nightly build archive is corrupted, could anyone help me? thanks

eastwoodman2010
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla 1.6

Post by eastwoodman2010 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Who will be using Joomla 1.6 when it comes out?

And does anyone think the Structure/Way the software is layed out, will have changed.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla 1.6

Post by Tonie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:46 pm

What do you mean with 'the Structure/Way the software is layed out'? Do you mean the layout of templates?

eastwoodman2010
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by eastwoodman2010 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:41 pm

Both

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:56 pm

The templates are not finished yet, so that's unsure. The layout will change, as the templates will be tableless to begin with.

ranmanh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ranmanh » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:09 am

oh!!!

I have to confess it was quite a job and struggle to convert templates from 1.0.x to .1.5.x.
Then, it looks I has to go through a similar grief again.
But I guess, better to wait until all the basic extension are in place for 1.6 which I reckon will take many months.

Ran

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:45 am

The current milky way layout should be available as template override. The changes from 1.5 to 1.6 will be less than from 1.0 to 1.5. The way of coding/structure is the same.

mjetpax
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mjetpax » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:13 am

Hey Jeff,

I tried your solution, and I didn't get a successful result. The main component installed correctly, but the plugin did not. It seemed like the component.install.php file never fired off. Am I missing something? Do I need an additional bit of xml in the install.xml to initiate the install.php script?

example

Code: Select all

<install>
	<files>
		<filename>component.install.php</filename>
	</files>
</install>
<administration>
  <files folder="admin">
      <filename>component.install.php</filename>
      <filename>extensions/index.html</filename>
      <filename>extensions/mod_module.zip</filename>
      <filename>extensions/plg_plugin.zip</filename>
  </files>
</administration>
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

jeffchannell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jeffchannell » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:11 am

Code: Select all

<installfile>component.install.php</installfile>
<scriptfile>component.install.php</scriptfile>
The first line is for 1.5, the 2nd is for 1.6...
http://jeffchannell.com - Joomla Extensions & Support
http://biziant.com - Open Joomla Firewall/IDS
Unsolicited private messages/emails = hire me to fix your problem.
καλλιστι

FreeThinker
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by FreeThinker » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:17 am

Hey guys

When is due to come out the new version!?

*am real excited with the ACL included :p

Cheers

Mindgem
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Mindgem » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:45 am

See the frontpage. Now it is said for a beta late March and stable late April. But the dates change frequently...

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:13 pm

You just can't tell, but everyone can help by installing the nightly build on a test site and reporting (and solving) issues.

I think we're down to bugs, but everything in the core is working without breakage.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

mjetpax
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mjetpax » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:04 pm

aaaahhh, I knew I was missing some little bit of information that would bring the whole thing together. Thanks so much!

mjetpax
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mjetpax » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Hey, I got your example working successfully now. It's very nice. Thanks again.

incorex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by incorex » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:50 am

Hello. I am a developer. Currently I am located in South Korea. Here many companies, particularly mine (NHN), which is the largest IT company in Korea, run CUBRID database management system (DBMS) for their everyday business operations. Just to let you know, several largest in the country online services like online games, online shopping malls, and searching engines run on CUBRID DBMS. I even have the data that there are more than 6,000 corporate companies tied to CUBRID.

Why do I tell this? The point is that I and many of my international colleagues over here are familiar with Joomla, rather than the Korean XpressEngine CMS. Since the companies architecture and build their databases in CUBRID, they require us to work with it, not MySQL. Currently the only way out is to get used to XpressEngine, which supports almost all well-known databases like Firebird, MySQL, PstgreSQL, Sqlite2/Sqlite3, and CUBRID. Why not Joomla? Actually, CUBRID engineers seem to have already developed PHP API for its DBMS. Here is the link (http://www.cubrid.org/Tutorials/T5#_Toc_T511) to their article about Porting from PHP MySQL.

In addition, the open source developers have already adopted CUBRID DMBS for Wordpress. I decided to test it and fortunately everything went similar to MySQL database installation. Here is the link (http://dev.naver.com/projects/cwp/download) to the latest Wordpress release 2.9.2 for CUBRID, just in case you wish to see it in action. But before that make sure you install CUBRID.

So, now I was reviewing the Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 release and its possible future improvements. As I see at Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 release article “Additional DB drivers” are expected to be developed. So I have a suggestion: why don’t we leverage already developed CUBRID’s PHP API and provide a support for CUBRID DBMS. I will be personally involved in this. I think if Joomla develops a common DB Connector Prototype, which later any DB Driver theoretically can be attached to, that would elevate Joomla’s flexibility and popularity + Joomla could finally conquer the Korean market. I would be glad to see this triumph.

According to the below table, there is not that much difference in implementation of CUBRID DB support in Joomla. Just look at the comparison.

MySQL/CUBRID
mysql_affected_rows()/cubrid_affected_rows()
mysql_close()/cubrid_disconnect()
mysql_connect()/cubrid_connect()
mysql_error_num()/cubrid_error_code()
mysql_error()/cubrid_error_msg()
mysql_fetch_array/cubrid_fetch()
mysql_fetch_field/cubrid_fetch()
mysql_fetch_row/cubrid_fetch()

I am curious whether Joomla is interested in such an expansion. Anyway Joomla is an Open Source Project. And I think it should be using any chance to grab the market.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:28 pm

I think people are always excited to see ideas like this, but you shoud go ahead and post on the development mailing list. My guess is that Andrew or others will tell you they are really interested in seeing work like that.

Please post here:
http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-cms
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

TBolt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by TBolt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:10 pm

mcsmom wrote:I think people are always excited to see ideas like this,
As a user, I'm excited to see development continue towards making Joomla stronger and useful around the world. :) I didn't even know what CUBRID was til now, yet I am encouraged. hehe

Way to go, folks!

4thdesign2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla 1.6

Post by 4thdesign2 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:33 pm

Apologies straight away as i cant find any forum for 1.6

I know there is an alpha 2 release, but I have a BURNING question which I thought would benefit everyone.

Here goes:

Will MOST of the extensions that are currently available for Joomla 1.5, actually work with 1.6? I tried about 5 different extensions last night, and not one of them worked, showing up errors on a new installation.

Please tell me, that ALL these clever developers will NOT have to rework their code for their extensions to work with 1.6???? I have spent hundreds of pounds on extensions for Joomla 1.5, and if i move to Joomla 1.6, I am going to be mighty annoyed if they dont work. Please dont say, ..... its up to the developer to make their extension work, I think thats rather unfair.

Can someone just put me straight in relation to this please?

Thanks ;)

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:48 pm

The idea was that an 1.6 forum is opened once beta hits the road.

As for extensions. With the new ACL, most (if not all) extensions will need changes. The few reports I read noted that the changes that were needed were minor in nature (if coded in the current Joomla style). If beta is feature complete once it is released, it will be a good time for developers to test the needed changes. I know I will.

4thdesign2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 4thdesign2 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:17 pm

I appreciate the hard work being done on 1.6 and the ACL is exciting to read and see in action, but without having 1000's of extensions available as in 1.5, i think it sucks big time.

Thats just my opinion, and of course, am a bit peeved, as you can imagine, having spent hundreds of pounds on extensions, its unlikely that some of my extensions arent ever going to work, because the developer cant be bothered, or wants MORE money !!!

Can i ask WHY has the framework for 1.6 been chosen to exclude 1.5 extensions? I find it quite amazing that years of work is being left behind and not being utilised for the new release.

I am not a coder, so i suspect it is most likely something to do with security and 1.6 is going to be like fort knox, if not...then what exactly is the point of working on 1.6? I know there must be a list of changes that have been posted, but to be honest....I cant be bothered to attempt to find the post, so if someone can post the top 3 or top 5 salient points of why people should use Joomla 1.6 above Joomla 1.5, then that would help me and others in understanding the reasons for this development.

Thanks, and please dont think i am being ungrateful, I am very grateful to Joomla for their work, its the best CMS I have used, but back in the days of postnuke, when they started meddling, it destroyed the community and all the hard work that was done by developers, I wouldnt want this to happen with Joomla. Not saying it will, just need to understand why 1.6 has gone the way it has gone with the changes.

:)

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:50 pm

1.6 has a granular access control system and it has a performance boost of about 50%. That requires a slightly changed translation file format and, depending on the quality of your current code, a few minor changes to your program code. In the end, there are just some things that need to be changed to advance Joomla. You don't expect spare parts for a 50 year old car to fit onto your new car, do you?
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:04 am

@4thdesign2. There's also the possibility to keep on running 1.5, as it's supported. <hint>Would be nice to know for how long though</hint>

incorex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by incorex » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:51 am

TBolt wrote:I didn't even know what CUBRID was til now, yet I am encouraged. hehe
Way to go, folks!
I guess, the reason why many users and developers do not know about CUBRID DBMS yet (including me, as I didn't know as well until I arrived to Korea), because it has just been released to the public. It started to be distributed under GNU GPL v2 or higher licenses since December 2008. Only a year since its public operations, in comparison with MSSQL/Oracle/MySQL with a decade of existence. Therefore, still there are a lot to go.

However, as a person who used only MSSQL/Oracle/MySQL (90% MySQL) and have just started to getting used to CUBRID, I have to say that I accepted that CUBRID performs very well. In fact, considering the large database web sites with high traffic we are working with over here, CUBRID runs a way faster than MySQL. The reason why faster than MySQL is that CUBRID is happened to be highly optimized for Web Services, i.e. for the Internet use. In order to check and choose the right database for one of the services of NHN, we needed to verify the performance of CUBRID DBMS. We performed the Database Industry Benchmark test, undergoing these four DBs to massive traffic and requests, overloading the machines. Guess what? Oracle was the number one, no doubt, we expected that. But Oracle was out of consideration as a database solution for our needs, since it is damn expansive.

But, to our surprise, we found out that in many tests CUBRID surpassed our expectations, performing better than other Open Source MySQL or Proprietary DBs like MSSQL. Can I say that it proved its competitiveness and eligibility for massive use? Maybe yes, maybe no. But, to tell the truth, due to its high performance and reliability we chose CUBRID for our services and I believe many others are now starting to switch from other solutions to CUBRID in Korea, not yet outside. CUBRID is developing a very aggressive promotions, but... let's see. Currently, as I said before, more than 6,000 fixed installations are counted in the production, and recently, the monthly downloads has reached 4,000. For this reason, I wish Joomla had a support for CUBRID, as this DBMS seems to be very promising open source project. Moreover, currently there are so many issues around MySQL being under Oracle. We don't know what is going to happen. In a year or two, I believe, CUBRID will be massively deployed around the world.

kamzata
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kamzata » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:54 am

About Joomla 1.6 and Virtuemart integration? I'd try to install Joomla 1.6 and Virtuemart. Witch version of Virtuemart should I use? Someone has already tried?

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:21 am

You will have to wait until a version of virtuemart is released that supports Joomla 1.6.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:25 am

@ incorex

have you any review links about?

I wonder if Joomla 1.6 could be used for that Open Source DB but I remember that one idea was for sundry DB compatibility

anybody knows better this problem?
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

kamzata
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kamzata » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:41 am

Tonie wrote:You will have to wait until a version of virtuemart is released that supports Joomla 1.6.
When we'll see a alpha version (or something like that) of Virtuemart for Joomla 1.6? Do you know?

Return to “Announcements Discussions”