Create a new "Page" without Menu item

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
viewon01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Create a new "Page" without Menu item

Post by viewon01 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi,

I would like to create several "pages" but without adding a new menu item. I don't want a direct link to this page from the menu.

Also, I would like to set a custom theme for this page, is it possible ?

Thanks for help

NB : I use the K2 plugin

jvezina
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Create a new "Page" without Menu item

Post by jvezina » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:54 pm

I'm guessing you'll give users the URL to get to the several hidden pages?

It's easy. Create a menu item to point to the pages (article layout, category blog, etc) but keep the menu item unpublished. That'll give you the link to use to view the page.

AND yes, you can have a custom theme. In the template manager, you can have your custom theme only appear for that menu item you have pointing to that page.
Jim
website design, development, hosting and search engine optimization
http://www.IndustryWebHost.com

beanluc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by beanluc » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:12 pm

I do this a slightly different way.

The problem with creating the menu-item and keeping it unpublished is that any menu parameters which are set, do not take effect if the menu-item is unpublished. You can link to the component and the content-item just fine this way, but you can NOT effectively assign any menu-specific details like template or modules if the menu-item is unpublished. You can specify the assignments, but they won't take effect.

So, what I and others I know do, is, create a new, separate menu in the menu manager, call it "Hidden Menu" or "Special Views" or something, and add all the menu-items we want to that menu, and publish all the menu-items, and then... the magic is... just don't create a module for displaying the menu! That's how the items all remain both hidden but also effective. Then you can just take those menu-item URLs and paste/enter them elsewhere.

viewon01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by viewon01 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:54 am

Thanks for your answer,

It is what I have do, I have create a "dummy" menu with several sub-menu items.
And the I create an article that I link to the menu entry.

The problem is that I'm unable to set a 'template' for this page. I use the K2 plugin to create my article (and not the normal article).

By example, my "Products" page should have a 'left menu' bar, and maybe several articles... I would like to avoid to create a full HTML page !

beanluc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by beanluc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:36 pm

viewon01 wrote:The problem is that I'm unable to set a 'template' for this page. I use the K2 plugin to create my article (and not the normal article).
That shouldn't matter. Any K2 item which can be assigned as a menu-item should work just as well as any other component, including a regular article from com_content.

When you say that you're unable to set a template, what do you mean? What did you try?

viewon01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by viewon01 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks, I have finaly find a solution, but it is a little bit tricky !

It will be fine to be able to use a custom template per page when requested, and then creating different zone, like we do for the front page !

Do you know if it is possible ?

Thx

Return to “Administration 1.5”