Setting up FTP

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Wildscribe
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Setting up FTP

Post by Wildscribe » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:30 pm

I have just installed Joomla 1.5 on a CentOS Linux server and now I am configuring Joomla and I wonder if I need to set up a corresponding FTP account on the server's FTP program that matches the FTP server in Joomla?

Thank you!

- - - WiLd

ssmithcp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Setting up FTP

Post by ssmithcp » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:15 pm

Wild,

I'm not sure I understand your question. I don't think Joomla! needs an FTP server to function normally. You might want to set up a server to make it easier to upload files to your CentOS server. You can always use ssh to copy your files. I use this program called SSH Secure Shell Client that I use on my windows 7 installation. A download website is: http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/ss ... 3.2.9.html . Does this answer your question?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:33 pm

The Joomla ftp layer is only used when Joomla does not have Ownership of the files. Very rarely needed.

When it comes to editing file directly then I use Filezilla Client to make small edits. For major edits on files (like Template files) ... I Use HTML-kit.

I download the files for edit to my PC

I open up a file in HTML-kit

Edit it then use HTML-kit's internal ftp, drag/drop to the server.

I view the changes in my browser, I then click undo in HTML-kit and/or do more editing and viewing.

When I have finished, I save the file on my PC and then I have a copy of the edited Template file(s).

But unless you intend to edit a lot of files then your CP ftp will suffice.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Wildscribe
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Wildscribe » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:49 am

So it sounds like I don't really need to set up FTP in Joomla. I'll just use regular FTP.

Thanks folks!

Wild

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:05 pm

Unless you experience issues uploading extensions or images to your site via the Backend Administrator you do not need to worry about the FTP layer, and then only on Linux based servers.

If you are on a Windows based server you do not need it at all.

Return to “Installation 1.5”