Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 Released

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
bongobongo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 Released

Post by bongobongo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:36 am

Hi

Joomla 1.6 will have support for nested categories.
That is really a nice feature.

Now, is there any chance to see support for linking one article to more than one category?

If not planned for first official release 1.6, then it would be cool if some core develpers at least think out a strategy on how to implement this feature in the near future, as well as define the needed database structure to enable this laiter on (if possible).
If the database structure for this is ready and implemented when 1.6 gets official, then it would be a lot easier and faster to get this developed on a laiter stage......

Hope some core developer can take a look at this ASAP!

Just my 5 cents.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:40 pm

You might look at JXtended labels to see an approach some core people have taken (though you have to pay for it). There are a number of other good tagging extensions including a summer of code project last year. I don't think any of them are ready for the core but i'm sure it will come eventually.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

NewGroove
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by NewGroove » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:41 pm

mcsmom wrote:The thing to do is to follow the mailing lists and the community blogs.

http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-d ... 06717a1045

is one.

Elin
Elin, many thanks for the link! It's a very interesting discussion. Which also makes it clear that the development team is already working to address the issues of timeliness and predictability for development cycles for post 1.6 releases. Kudos! :)

Has this proposal become official policy? And if so, is it possible to view the specifics of the policy?

beanluc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by beanluc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:51 pm

bongobongo wrote:is there any chance to see support for linking one article to more than one category?
I have long said, to those who point to this as an architecural shortcoming in J!1.<6, that "multiple categorization" is synonymous with tagging, and, as such, should be implemented with a tagging solution, not as an extension to the Categories system.

Looks like at least one person is aligned with this idea:
mcsmom wrote:There are a number of [...] good tagging extensions
On the other hand, nesting actually is a really important enhancement to the Categories system.

Why the difference?

Category nesting lets you have a certain control over site structure and hierarchy. Tagging lets you have more control over site taxonomy and semantic associations. Two different tools for two different jobs.

Don't care about relationships? Use Categories, not tags. Don't care about tree organization? Don't use Categories. Want both? Use both.

OK, so, tagging still won't be in the core, but nesting will. I'm pleased. Good-quality third-party tagging extensions will migrate real fast, I predict.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:01 pm

beanluc wrote: OK, so, tagging still won't be in the core, but nesting will. I'm pleased. Good-quality third-party tagging extensions will migrate real fast, I predict.
I didn't know that a real good CORE tagging solution isn't planned for the 1.6 version!!!!

The worst lack I've seen about the new content organization! I hope in a misunderstanding of mine...

What about our Content (nested only) Management System ?????????? :(
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

beanluc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by beanluc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:07 pm

mcsmom wrote:There are a number of [...] tagging extensions [...] I don't think any of them are ready for the core but i'm sure it will come eventually
When you say "eventually", are you thinking, like, J!1.6? Or J!1.6.1? Or, J!1.7? Or, J!2.0?

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:42 pm

Well, as I said, I don't think any of them are close to core ready. But maybe 1.7 if one of them is willing to come in and commits to doing it. The coding standards especially for the framework are really high. They have to deal with scaling and performance in ways that are really pretty intense. That's why the nesting libraries took so long to get and are so awesome, and they are the basis of not just categories but also menus and ACL. Look how long it took comments to be ready. On the other hand the new release strategy is such that when they are ready they can be released.

I think JForm is actually hugely important and is going to really revolutionize things not to mention make everyone's code more secure. There are definitely implications there for taxonomy.

@NewGroove

I think in typical Joomla! style, from what I can tell, basically the PLT has committed to that model and the question is how well can it be implemented. We need to get 1.6 out, but even now the stable trunk model is in practice, with people running unit tests on commits and test coverage steadily increasing.

I have to say, my feeling is that the nightlies right now are better and more stable than beta 2 of 1.5 was. Not that there aren't problems, but they are not overwhelming. And people are working really hard on big and small projects. So everything from making sure that the strings are done, some UI work, the templates, sample data, a few libraries still in progress and so on.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

zambilica
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by zambilica » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:02 pm

so after all this pages, 24..... when will be lunch this version? is 4/16/2010.....is APRIL 2010..

I read this topic and wait for the official lunch from when i read this topic.....anyone know a date?

Mindgem
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Mindgem » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:09 pm

zambilica wrote:so after all this pages, 24..... when will be lunch this version? is 4/16/2010.....is APRIL 2010..

I read this topic and wait for the official lunch from when i read this topic.....anyone know a date?
Now it is said to be june for beta and the month after that for stable.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:44 pm

The quicker people test and fix issues the quicker it will come out. Check out a nightly and see what you find; report issues in the tracker.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:58 pm

mcsmom wrote:The quicker people test and fix issues the quicker it will come out. Check out a nightly and see what you find; report issues in the tracker.
•1.6 Latest SVN http://joomlacode.org/svn/joomla/development/trunk/

please entering as anonymous

kokosek
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

When released the final version of Joomla 1.6?

Post by kokosek » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:40 pm

When released the final version of Joomla 1.6?
???????????????????

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: When released the final version of Joomla 1.6?

Post by humvee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:41 pm

Last edited by humvee on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hgt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hgt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:46 pm

why the languages are in the articles? This probably is not good. When I use was the creation of articles, modules, components in the languages .. not just an article. Is not it better to add languages to the menu item? everything is added to the menu item. in addition, after reading what language is for the item, you can download the files required language files

bongobongo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by bongobongo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 pm

hgt wrote:why the languages are in the articles? This probably is not good. When I use was the creation of articles, modules, components in the languages .. not just an article. Is not it better to add languages to the menu item? everything is added to the menu item. in addition, after reading what language is for the item, you can download the files required language files
If you then have a multilingual site, and the visitor do a search in articles, then I belive it is quite mandatory to be able to specify language for each article to make that search work....
or what?

Phobophile89
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

1.6 ?

Post by Phobophile89 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:59 pm

Hello, i know "The lounge" is not for support topic. But i searched the forum, searched the site, and can't find any place / forums where my post fit. So there i go !

I installed joomla! 1.6A2 to try the new ACL features :D
Went to the back-end : V
Got to the extensions manager : V
Installed my custom template : V
Tried to do anything else : X

From the back-end their's about 4 or 5 pages that works, all the other page are blanks and have the URL "XXX.MYSITE.BLA/joomla/administrator/index.php=com_something

I gave the root directory of my site the permission 777 applied to enclosed files.
The output buffering is off. (It's actually on, recommanded off, my error)

I know this version is not* supported yet, but i wanted to know if anybodies ran into this too? Or at least share my issue with you!
Last edited by Phobophile89 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by dhuelsmann » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:08 pm

@Phobophile89 - A lot has been done since the Alpha 2 release. I suggest you check it out from the svn http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... 2Ftrunk%2F or the nightly build http://dev.joomla.org/nightly/joomla_trunk/
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

Phobophile89
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Phobophile89 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:29 pm

dhuelsmann wrote:@Phobophile89 - A lot has been done since the Alpha 2 release. I suggest you check it out from the svn http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... 2Ftrunk%2F or the nightly build http://dev.joomla.org/nightly/joomla_trunk/
I downloadeds all 3 .zip .tar.bz2 .tar.gz none of them worked for me, "corrupted archive file"

I can't find how to connect to the SVN via eSVN, and the subdiverSVN CLI frighten me :laugh:

Guess that tommorow the nigthly build wiil be changed, right ???

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:54 pm

Going to the 1.6 Latest SVN on http://joomlacode.org/svn/joomla/development/trunk/ is easy

click on that link and use the user name as anonymous

nothing else

Phobophile89
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Phobophile89 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:42 pm

newart wrote:Going to the 1.6 Latest SVN on http://joomlacode.org/svn/joomla/development/trunk/ is easy

nothing else
Then ? I'm glad i can see the files, but what if i can't download them ? I did installed a SVN but i can't find how to link a folder with this site, noobishness.

I did tryied to go back a folder and download the "trunk" folder, but what i get is an ".xml.part". Guess it's not the good way XD

UP : As i try to checkout , eSVN is telling me authentication failed error 1... I entered the username "anonymous" probably a problem from my server's firewall or something like this. But when will their be another 1.6 release ? Something like an Alpha3, or an Alpha2 Fixed?

Jmx
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Jmx » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:30 am

newart wrote:Going to the 1.6 Latest SVN on http://joomlacode.org/svn/joomla/development/trunk/ is easy
nothing else
I've never downloaded the SVN, and when i follow that link i get a folder view of all files and folders.
How do i download it all? i mean i can't download one file at the time... that would take the rest of this year to finish :D

MrRoyce
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by MrRoyce » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:38 am

Jmx wrote: I've never downloaded the SVN, and when i follow that link i get a folder view of all files and folders.
How do i download it all? i mean i can't download one file at the time... that would take the rest of this year to finish :D

Most folks use an SVN client such as SmartSVN, Tortoise SVN, etc. Here is the link for Tortoise:

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

After you install that, you can use you operating systems file explorer (e.g. Windows Explorer) to checkout the repository into an empty directory on your computer.

Jmx
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Jmx » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:24 pm

MrRoyce wrote:
Most folks use an SVN client such as SmartSVN, Tortoise SVN, etc.
Ah... perfect, didn't know about that.
I'm mostly in OS X and found ZigVersion, it was simple and worked perfect.

Thanks.

FreeThinker
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by FreeThinker » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi all

I've downloaded this version...uncompressed it and copied all to my site folder, replacing all it asked.

Now when accessing website, it gives a "404 - Component not found"

and when accessing the Admin. ....
1.JPG

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Call to a member function login() on a non-object in D:\xampp\htdocs\osvaldo\administrator\components\com_login\admin.login.php  on line 64
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:30 pm

You mean you copied all 1.6 alpha files over a current 1.5 installation. If so, the only way to restore your site is to copy a full 1.5 installation over it minus the /installation directory.

There is no way to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6 yet.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:36 pm

1.6 is NOT FOR PRODUCTION SITES.

It's great for people to play around with it and even greater to do testing and submit patches. But please, no live sites yet.

FreeThinker
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by FreeThinker » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 am

ok ok

Thanks....for the heads-up and info ;)

Maikelvu
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Maikelvu » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:59 am

In a news story at Joomlacommunity.eu is told that from May 5th there is a code freeze for Joomla 1.6 and that the beta will available soon.

So it looks like there's coming some nice news soon.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:49 pm

ametzler
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ametzler » Thu May 06, 2010 9:49 pm

I haven't checked out an nightly build in a while and downloaded one this afternoon, really looking good. One question, the ACL is looking great, is there going to be a way to have something show whether its a module or menu item to only a guest and once logged in it wouldn't show?

Return to “Announcements Discussions”