Super Administrator is missing from User Manager

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Super Administrator is missing from User Manager

Post by tokenring » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:12 pm

k, here is the situation and I'll try and be as thorough as possible to help with the troubleshooting.

running:
Joomla 1.5.15
Linux infong 2.4 #1 SMP Wed Nov 4 21:12:12 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
PHP Version 5.2.13

I only have made a few changes to the site(s) (one is test and the other is production) and somehow by uninstalling a Plugin or Module has removed the Super Administrator from both sites (test and production).

If I go into the back-end with PHPmyAdmin and I am able to see the Super Administrator. The tables all look correct, but I can't figure out how that user is hidden. If I try to login as the Super Administrator, it is "bad username and/or password"

I've looked around in the forums and all similar cases are related to version 1.0 of joomla. Any ideas????

TokenRing

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Super Administrator is missing from User Manager

Post by tokenring » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:13 pm

I'll list the modules and Plugins that I have installed and either uninstalled or disabled that happened around the time of the error.

TokenRing

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:30 am

I can't remember what I exactly did before I noticed the error but these are the modules, components and plugins I've added to the site.

mod_briaskiss
mod_easyadsense
mod_fisheye
mod_mainmenu
mod_random_image_plus
mod_slideshow_pro

com_chronoforms
com_favicon

plg_ie_compatibility_1.1
plg_editor_switcher
plg_fboxbot
plg_idoeditor
plg_jsecure
plg_rokbox
plg_SEOsimple
plg_shadowbox
plg_jsecure

and they are all installed and enabled. There was also this other system module that I can't exactly remember the name by http://www.nonumber.nl/ (and I can't find it on the site) which was the one around the time of the error

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:55 pm

What about if you do forgot my password for the superadmin account and try to log in?
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:47 am

I'm not sure I quite understand where you want me to do this? I have no front end login and there is no spot on (that I know of) the back end to do password retrieval.

Thanks for looking into this for me!

Aaron

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:51 am

This is the error I get when I try super administrator/<password>

Username and password do not match
(and user is not in the control panel -> user manager)

* the only link I see at the admin login is "return to site homepage"

Aaron

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:20 pm

So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:39 am

Thanks for the above posts. I think I'm on to it. I will know for sure tonight. It happened on my TEST site and also with my LIVE site so in while trying to fix it, I'm trying to see what module, component, plugin did this.

Thanks again.

Aaron

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:00 pm

The password is not the problem. The user is not showing up in the UserManager. All aro_acl files are fine. When I go to run this URL

http://example.domain.com/administrator ... t&cid[]=62

when logged in, I can see the account... I just can't edit it or anything. I've haven't used extended authentication or permissions, so I am a bit confused. I did notice though that the Super Administrator has nothing set for them... not even an editor. Is this the problem?

I will try the password link you had sent me to see if it helps.

Aaron

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:40 pm

I enabled the front-end login and I reset the password for the Super Administrator account successfully, however I was still unable to login (front or backend)

password/username don't match or either the account isn't created yet.

??

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:17 pm

I ran the insert query on the DB and it did create the *admin2* Super Administrator account successfully. I was able to login to the front-end and back-end with the new account. I then navigated to the user manager and I was able to now see the *administrator* account (Super Administrator). I was even now able to login to the front-end and back-end with this account.

So somehow in creating the new Super Administrator account through MySQL, it restored the other user account.

Another symptom I am still experiencing is that I can't see some menu items in the back-end. For instance, I still can't see

Template Manager.

Thanks for all the help.

Aaron

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:59 am

So I ran the insert again for admin3 now and it too created the Super Administrator (#3) successfully as well as enabling the other 2 Super Administrators. Then I upgraded to 1.5.17 from 1.5.15 and the users were gone again.

I think I'm going to reinstall again and try and reproduce the error to let Joomla know. Not going to try and save this site anymore.

Thanks for all the help.

Aaron

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:21 pm

Upgrading doesn't touch your database. How could they be gone?

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:36 am

I don't know how what is happening... is happening? All I know is that the symptoms I am reporting are happening when I do either the upgrade or enable/disable those 2 plugins.

maybe Joomla (community) has to really validate plugins/components and modules before they are made to be live on JED. I haven't done any hacks and/or I've made barely barely any changes to the default install.

Aaron

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:38 am

oh... and everything that I HAVE done to the site has been through the or a proper interface. I have done no manual manipulation to ANY file/folder...

AB

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sat May 01, 2010 12:30 am

The JED is strictrly use at your own risk. Anyone can write an extension that's the nature of the GPL.

Are you positive you are logged in as a superadmin when looking at the user manager?

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Sat May 01, 2010 1:16 am

can you screen shot your "user" page and post here
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by RussW » Sat May 01, 2010 1:27 am

Enter you DB manually through phpMyAdmin and manually "disable" the jSecure plugin and try again.

If this does not change anything, then install another standard, default, unmodified J! 1.5.15

Use one of the "Export Users" extensions to export the basic Admin Account.

Backup the defunct/current database

update the query in the exported users to "Drop If Exists" and then run the SQL query produced in the Export code

or simply do a compare of the current tables with the new tables and manually modify to suit.

Many plugin and extensions "Extend" the user fields, upon disabling or uninstalling they can stuff up the ARO DBase records.
Joomla! on the fabulous Sunshine Coast...
hotmango, web & print http://www.hotmango.me/
The Styleguyz https://www.thestyleguyz.com/

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Mon May 03, 2010 11:56 am

I appreciate all the help (mcsmom, Mandville and RussW) but I'm not going to work on this anymore. It has nothing to do with jsecure as I have been using jsecure on another 2 sites for about 1 year now (with disabling and re-enabling) without any problems what so ever.

Administrator/Super Administrator.

When I have the problem, I CANNOT login as the Super Administrator as those type of accounts are defunct. I can only login as an Administrator and I don't see the Super Administrators.

I don't recall saying otherwise. When I run that insert to create another Super Administrator (admin1, admin2, admin3... etc) it does and I am able to see the other defunct Super Admins. When I can see all the super admins, I can ALSO login as them. As soon as I touch those plugins (mentioned above) ALL of the Super Administrators are now gone again... and Template manager is no longer either.

Since the weekend I have since re-installed the one instance of the site that is having the problems and I have left one as defunct. If anyone wants to take a look, let me know and I will create a temp user for you. If not, this instance will be destroyed by end of the week.

I am a tester by profession so I am curious to what is going on, but I am really busy so I do want to exhaust anymore time in this if I can just start over. I am offering just in case one of you guru's needs to know more ;-)

Aaron
Last edited by tokenring on Mon May 03, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Mon May 03, 2010 12:05 pm

just a thought, you cant see users of a higher level in the adminuser manager than you are. eg a manager cant see the administrators
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Mon May 03, 2010 12:50 pm

I actually just found that out too... which might have explained the "seeing" of the SA accounts, but not being able to login???

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Mon May 03, 2010 4:39 pm

think its time for a screenshot of your user manage screeen, showing the SA accounts if possible. and the sqldb of the superadmin account names/status

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Mon May 03, 2010 5:55 pm

mandville... I'll get screenshots of the 2nd site (production) that is experiencing this too. I'll get a screenshot of the User Manager (not sure why) and I'll get you the information from mysql. it will be in about 4 hours.

Aaron

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Mon May 03, 2010 7:04 pm

no problem, as they say = a picture is worth a thousand words!

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Mon May 03, 2010 7:53 pm

lol... thanks Mandville! I think this picture will be worth about 3...

Oh My God

;-)

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Tue May 04, 2010 11:38 am

k, well in troubleshooting a bit yesterday I seemed to have caused the "unable to login with the SA" account to go away. I know from above that I wasn't able to see the account in the User Manager because I was only logged in as an *administrator* user and you can't see users with permissions higher than which you are currently logged in as.

I had to disable/all extra plugins that i've installed since the base installation. I'll still post some screenshots. Thanks for the help so far and hopefully you'll be able to see something from my pictures.

Aaron

Yanith
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Yanith » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:36 pm

i just got a site from a client, installed it on the server and everything went well.

i changed the user passwords to "admin" in the phyMySQL and they worked fine. i'm able to login.

none of the accts is a Super Administrator, however i my biggest problem is that i'm not able to edit anything.
for some reason if i click on edit aricle, user, component or anything on the CMS the page will reload and not show the actual user, article, module, or anything.

i found this articles and try to solve it creating a root user:

http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_recov ... assword%3F

but still not luck, i can't edit anything.

can you guys let me know which is the sql query to create a super admin user and see if that helps.

unless you know of this problem and know how to fix it cuz at the moment i'm making small text edit on the database but i dont like that

Jooma Version 1.7.1

thanks a lot in advance

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”