The Joomla! Forum ™

Post subject: Roles: current and open
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:25 pm 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

This thread is to discuss the different roles which are needed for the magazine, and making sure that we have people assigned to those roles. Please post here if you have ideas for additions or changes, questions, and especially if you are willing to help with one of these roles!

Important: Just because one or more names might already be listed for a role does not necessarily mean that you shouldn't volunteer to help in that area too! Ideally, we want to have more than one person in each role so that (1) the per volunteer workload is easier, and (2) we have people cross-trained so the work can continue smoothly in all areas when one volunteer is unavailable (which will happen from time to time).

So please post here and express your interest, and even if a role is completely full for now, we will try to contact you if an opening becomes available in the future!

Lead Editor(s). Responsibilities: Help define and shape magazine processes/strategy. Insure all content complies with Joomla! content guidelines. Help meet publishing deadlines. Promote the magazine. Assign uncategorized articles to Editors. Support all volunteers. Help out anywhere as needed.
Current volunteer(s): Paul Orwig.

Webmaster(s). Responsibilities: Insure J! instance is updated to current version. Assist with adding/updating/supporting extensions used by the magazine. Coordinate implementation of any advertising features. Support template/graphics/design changes. Support Editors with article updates. Publish issues.
Current volunteers: Paul Orwig, Nenad Antic.

Design Team. Responsibilities: Insure magazine is consistent with J! UI standards. Coordinate with any external designers. Lead Support template/graphics/design changes. Support Style Guide managers.
Current volunteers: Ron Severdia, Paul Orwig.

Style Guide Team. Responsibilities: Lead the definition, update, and maintenence of the style guide (for linguistic, formatting, and media).
Current volunteers: Anthony Olsen, Renea Leathers, Miljan Vujosevic, Dianne Henning, Babs Gösgens.

Documentation/Author's Resources Editor. Responsibilities: Lead the definition, update, and maintenence of content to help authors successfully submit properly formatted articles.
Current volunteers: Cristina Solana.

Workflow Team. Responsibilities: Lead the definition,optimization, and documentation of workflow-related processes.
Current volunteer(s): Mark Bender, Dianne Henning, Cristina Solana.

PDF conversion Team. Responsibilities: Convert individual articles to PDF format, implement PDF links on JCM website, potentially create PDF JCM editions, document processes.
Current volunteer: Marcos Peebles.

Promotions Team. Responsibilities: Come up with ideas to promote the JCM, and help coordinate and implement those ideas. Create, develop, and manage relationships at websites and other media outlets that will be effective in helping to promote the JCM. Lead the definition, optimization, and documentation of promotions-related processes and contacts.

Current volunteer(s): Miljan Vujosevic, Cristina Solana, Mark Bender, Babs Gösgens.

Media Editors. Responsibilities: Create, update, and manage list of free stock image websites suitable for use in magazine articles. Assist authors and editors with requests for media search, creation, and editing. Assist with defining style guide rules for media useage. Document media sources and processes.
Current volunteer(s): Dianne Henning, Babs Gösgens.

Editor(s): Extensions and Services Evaluation Team. Responsibilities: Define the goals for this section. Plan for sequence/scheduling of future articles. Coordinate with team members to create and edit articles for this section of the magazine. Insure that all content in this category complies with Joomla! content guidelines. Document sources, processes, and standards.
Current volunteers: Hilary Cheyne, Neri Valentin-Macias.

Authors: Extensions and Services Evaluation Team. Responsibilities: Create and edit articles for for this section. Assist in planning the sequence/scheduling of future articles. Coordinate with team members to create and edit articles for this section of the magazine. Insure that all content in this category complies with Joomla! content guidelines. Assist with documenting sources, processes, and standards.
Current volunteers: Bo Astrup, Steve Burge, Nicholas K Dionysopoulos, Brian Sullivan, Amy Stephen, Miljan Vujosevic, Ahmad Alfy.

Editor(s): Joomla! Leadership Updates. Responsibilities: Responsible for coordinating with and collecting magazine articles from Joomla! leadership teams (CWG, PWG, OSM). Edit articles for this section of the magazine. Insure that all content in this category complies with Joomla! content guidelines. Document contacts, processes and standards.
Current volunteer(s): Paul Orwig.

Editor(s): Joomla! in the Press/Media. Responsibilities: Responsible for collecting links to Joomla! related articles posted elsewhere for each issue. Create a list of links with a 1-2 sentence summary of each article. Insure that all content in this category complies with Joomla! content guidelines. Document sources, processes, and standards.
Current volunteer(s): Mark Bender.

Editor(s): Joomla! Events/JUG In-Depth. Responsibilities: Follow up with Joomla! Events coordinators and ask for their contributions to the magazine. Do the same with JUG leaders. Edit articles for this section of the magazine. Insure that all content in this category complies with Joomla! content guidelines. Document sources, processes, and standards.
Current volunteer(s): Bo Astrup.

Editor(s): Website Case Studies. Responsibilities: Coordinate with authors of web site case studies. Edit articles for this section of the magazine. Insure that all content in this category complies with Joomla! content guidelines. Document sources, processes, and standards.
Current volunteer(s): Robert Vining, Cristina Solana.

Editor(s): Feature stories. Responsibilities: Coordinate with authors of feature articles. Plan for sequence/scheduling of future articles. Edit articles for this section of the magazine. Insure that all content in this category complies with Joomla! content guidelines. Document sources, processes, and standards.
Current volunteer(s): Matt Lipscomb, Alice Grevet.

Editor(s): International stories. Responsibilities: Recruit new volunteers to help with publishing of non-english language stories in as many languages as possible. Coordinate with volunteers to help them review articles submitted by members of their communities. Help volunteers to promote and encourage members of their communities to contribute. Coordinate the publishing of all articles. Document sources, processes, and standards.
Current volunteer: Alice Grevet.

Editor(s): Designer's Studio. Responsibilities: Coordinate with authors of articles. Define the goals for this section. Plan for sequence/scheduling of future articles. Edit articles for this section of the magazine. Insure that all content in this category complies with Joomla! content guidelines. Document sources, processes, and standards.
Current volunteers: Mustaq Ahmed, Anthony Olsen.

Editor(s): Developer's Workbench. Responsibilities: Coordinate with authors of articles. Define the goals for this section. Plan for sequence/scheduling of future articles. Edit articles for this section of the magazine. Insure that all content in this category complies with Joomla! content guidelines. Document sources, processes, and standards.
Current volunteers: Renea Leathers, Arlen Walker.

Editor(s): Administrator's Toolkit. Responsibilities: Coordinate with authors of articles. Define the goals for this section. Plan for sequence/scheduling of future articles. Edit articles for this section of the magazine. Insure that all content in this category complies with Joomla! content guidelines. Document sources, processes, and standards.
Current volunteers: Zoran Belic, Mark Bender.

Editor(s): Did you know...? Responsibilities: Coordinate with authors of articles. Define the goals for this section. Plan for sequence/scheduling of future articles. Edit articles for this section of the magazine. Insure that all content in this category complies with Joomla! content guidelines. Document sources, processes, and standards.
Current volunteer(s): Nick Antimisiaris, Babs Gösgens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:36 pm 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Hi Paul

Great Progress and a nice strong Team of Editors and Authors . I would like to Volunteer as an Editor for the Designer's Studio.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:59 pm 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Outstanding thanks Mustaq! I have added you to that role in the original post.

Please take some time to review the other threads in this subforum. Let me know if you have problems accessing the Google docs, I thought they were all set up for public viewing but apparently not...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:18 am 
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Hello Paul, thanks for the status update. I have been watching for more news and glad to see progress is being made!

I would like to volunteer for this position:

Editor(s): Website Case Study. Status: Open for volunteers! Coordinate with authors of web site case studies. Edit articles for this section of the magazine. Document sources, processes, and standards.

I think Steve Burge's articles have been a great success on the Joomla Blog featuring different Joomla sites and would like to follow his format for the magazine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:45 pm 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Hello Robert, thanks for volunteering to help with the magazine! I have updated the original post to add your name for that role.

When Steve started his series of website reviews, he and I traded some emails about migrating new reviews to the magazine after it launched. Steve is on my list of people to follow up with now that we are getting close to the launch, but I haven't re-connected with him about that yet. So I would ask is that you be flexible regarding potentially sharing that role with Steve if he is still interested in continuing his series on the magazine. Maybe you guys could alternate months or team up each month or something else?

The truth is on a volunteer project such as this, I would like to see multiple people available for all roles. I think that's a good idea from a standpoint both of sharing the workload and also for cross-training for when someone leaves the project.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:21 am 
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Thanks Paul, and yes I agree with you 100% on the dual support roles for any position really.

I actually did an interview with Steve during that time that I still need to transcribe and blog about, and I'm sure we can work together if he chooses to continue with the series.

If Steve decides he has more than enough commitments, I'm sure he will be a great mentor to bounce ideas off of in any case.

I'm really hoping to learn as much as I'm giving here in this role. It's an excellent opportunity to see how some sites are structured and get an in depth look at what makes great Joomla sites tick.

Thanks again and look forward to seeing the magazine go LIVE!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:28 pm 
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Greetings! I want in :D

I see the editors extension review team is full of members ... do you accept more people?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:34 pm 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Hi Ahmad,

Okay you're in! Or actually I should have said you were already in, sorry if there has been a disconnect on that. Please connect with Hils and Neri to find out where you can best fit in on their team.

They've got a Skype chat that's scheduled for Wednesday May 5 at 1800 hrs (UTC). Hils and Neri said they think you're invited, if not let them know a/o send them your Skype id. Let me know if you need their email addresses to contact them.

Thanks for volunteering Ahmad!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:48 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Hi Paul,

Glad to see the oft-discussed idea for a magazine reaching fruition. I've been working with J! since the fork of 2005, and while my posting history is somewhat sparse I've built hundreds of sites powered by J! in the last five years.

I'd be delighted to join the Designer's Studio editorial team if you'll have me. :)

Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:57 pm 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Hi Paul, thanks for volunteering, I have added your name to the list for editors in that section!

Can you please send me a PM with your full name, primary email address, and Skype id (if you have one?

Thanks again,

paul

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:12 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Thanks Paul - PM sent! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:29 pm 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

@porwig @Jazzi

Can you send me your Skype Id's so I can add you to the Skype Group I set up for the Designer's Studio Editors and Article Contributors ?

I hope to schedule a Chat

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:51 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

I've sent you a PM too Mustaq. I'm assuming phpBB leaves sent messages in the Outbox until they've been read..?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:42 am 
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Jazzi wrote:
I'm assuming phpBB leaves sent messages in the Outbox until they've been read..?

That is correct.

^Now with Joomla 2.5 and Joomla 3.0 Tutorials

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:02 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

brad wrote:
That is correct.

Thanks Brad... Now everyone can play "let's laugh and point at the forum n00b" for a while. ;) Think I must be too used to the way vBulletin does things. I'm off to read the phpBB manual now...

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:00 am 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Quote:
Style Guide Manager(s). Status: Open for volunteers! Lead the definition, update, and maintenence of the style guide.

Workflow Manager(s): Status: Open for volunteers! Lead the definition,optimization, and documentation of workflow-related processes.

I would love to do either of these. I've done both of these things in the past for various print media organizations and started using Joomla! to try and launch my own web-based periodical two years ago. I haven't really used 1.6 yet; how is workflow different in that? I might end up writing some sort of workflow component that makes Joomla! documents move similarly to how it does in something like, say, Hot Ink (hotink.net; i.e., writer -> section editor -> Lead Ed -> Published, or perhaps writer -> fact checker -> copy editor -> section editor -> Lead Ed)

I can't send PMs yet, so --
Full name: Ændrew Rininsland
Primary Email: aendrew@aendrew.com (aendrew@gmail.com if using Google-related services)

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:13 pm 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Hi Ændrew, thanks for volunteering! With your skills, I think you could be a great help to our team as a Workflow Manager. There is another potential volunteer who I think may also be interested in helping in that role. My hope is that ideally we will have more than one person in every role, so that the workload can be shared and also so there is cross-training if/when one person needs to be away for a while (or longer).

Our magazine is using the K2 extension for content input, organization, display, and user management. So if you do write a workflow extension to help the magazine, it might need to tie in with K2 more than J! 1.6 core.

Thanks again for your post Ændrew. Please confirm if you are still interested, and if so I will add you to our team!

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:58 pm 
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Hi Paul,
I want to volunteer as a Editor Administrator's Toolkit.
I like a lot the idea of creating Joomla! magazine, and I hope we all will contribute its improvement.
Which data I should send in PM ?
Yours sincerely,
Zoran Belic.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:27 pm 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Great thanks Zoran, I have added you to that role!

Please send me a PM with your primary email address and Skype ID (If you have one).

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:49 pm 
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Thanks Paul, PM sent. I hope that we will cooperate successfully. ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:44 pm 
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

porwig wrote:

So please post here and express your interest, and even if a role is completely full for now, we will try to contact you if an opening becomes available in the future!

Workflow Team. Responsibilities: Lead the definition,optimization, and documentation of workflow-related processes.
Current volunteers: None yet!

I'd like to be a part of that team. We certainly need a few persons on this team. It's like trying to catch a "moving target" both in the scope of the Joomla! CMS and the Joomla! Community Magazine.

1. We need to gather the info from the community about the "definition" of the Workflow.
2. Select the optimal criteria, work to maximize then,
3. Get it documented in a freely available area for all to access.

porwig wrote:
Editor(s): Joomla! in the Press/Media. Responsibilities: Status: Open for volunteers! Responsible for collecting links to Joomla! related articles posted elsewhere for each issue. Create a list of links with a 1-2 sentence summary of each article. Insure that all content in this category complies with Joomla! content guidelines. Document sources, processes, and standards.
Current volunteers: None yet!

This sounds like a very "bleeding edge" opportunity to help the Joomla! Community. Count Me In!

This person(s)/team might also be the contact point for dealing the any traditional media inquiries about the Joomla! Community Magazine.

I will post a new thread soon, in the JCM Editor Forum about submitting Joomla! articles that would "fit" in this area of the Magazine.

porwig wrote:
Editor(s): Administrator's Toolkit. Responsibilities: Coordinate with authors of articles. Define the goals for this section. Plan for sequence/scheduling of future articles. Edit articles for this section of the magazine. Insure that all content in this category complies with Joomla! content guidelines. Document sources, processes, and standards.
Current volunteer(s): Zoran Belic.

I definitely have the "administrator" part covered, and it would be nice to be able to combine that along with editorial skills to help out.

Joomla! Community Magazine Team Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:25 am 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Hi Mark,

Thanks for volunteering to help with the magazine! I have added your name to all of those roles that you mentioned. I don't want you to get burned out with so many roles so please don't hesitate to let me know if you need to step away from any of those roles.

Please send me your Skype id if you have one. If not, I will follow up with you in the next day or two by email.

Thanks again,

paul

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:20 am 
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Look like you could use someone to help with the Developer's Workbench and Joomla! in the Press/Media. I can easily help out with the collection of media/press links but would love to tackle the Developer's Workbench.
I just got caught up on the group chat today. That was some interesting reading.

I will help with any thing though. Where do you need the most assistance?

Nolite id cogere, cape malleum majorem.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:51 am 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Hi rleathers,

Thanks for volunteering to help with the magazine! I have added your name to the Developer's Workbench editor role. That is a key role that we really need some help with.

If your interests and Journalism background include a familiarity with helping us develop a better style guide (especially on the linguistic side), please let me know because that would be a big help too.

For starters, please take a look at these two Google docs that I just posted earlier today:
* JCM team member introductory information
* JCM editors guide

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:40 pm 
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Can I jump on the Design Studio Editors team or is that closed?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:20 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

OK Paul -- I would like to be added to the Editor for Featured Articles position please! As I mentioned in the people.joomla group, I have extensive experience with Joomla, am a competent writer, and am skilled at reviewing and improving copy, if that is needed.

Let me know if this fits the needs of the mag at this point.

Many thanks,
Alice

Member, Community Leadership Team (CLT)
Co Lead Editor, Joomla! Community Magazine

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:41 pm 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

nightshiftc wrote:
Can I jump on the Design Studio Editors team or is that closed?

Hi Cristina,

Thanks for volunteering to help with the magazine! I'm sorry but that Designer's Studio Editors team is full for now. We would love to have your help in any of the other areas where there is only one person listed though!

If you are only interested in helping as an Editor for the Designer's Studio section, then I can let you know when we get an opening there. Or you might also consider submitting articles for that section until a position opens up there.

Thanks again,

paul

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:44 pm 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

agrevet wrote:
OK Paul -- I would like to be added to the Editor for Featured Articles position please! As I mentioned in the people.joomla group, I have extensive experience with Joomla, am a competent writer, and am skilled at reviewing and improving copy, if that is needed.

Let me know if this fits the needs of the mag at this point.

Many thanks,
Alice

Hi Alice,

Thanks for volunteering to help with the magazine! I have added your name to that role. Would you please send me a PM with your primary email address and Skype ID if you have one?

Once I have your primary email address, I will introduce you to Matt Lipscomb who is our other Featured Articles editor, and I'll include some other "getting started" type information.

Thanks again,

paul

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:53 pm 
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Ok. How about if I help with Website Case Studies? I am writing a tutorial for Workers Bench as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:14 am 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

nightshiftc wrote:
Ok. How about if I help with Website Case Studies? I am writing a tutorial for Workers Bench as well.

That would be great, thanks for being flexible Cristina! I have added your name to the Website Case Studies editor role. Please send me a PM with your primary email address and your Skype ID if you have one, and I will introduce you to your co-editor Robert Vining and I'll send you some "getting started" info.

Thanks also for writing a tutorial for the Developer's Workbench section!

paul