User can change password?

General questions relating to Joomla! There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
nwm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

User can change password?

Post by nwm » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:37 pm

This seems a basic question can cannot find anything on forums.

I am using the mambo login module with 4.5.2.3 If a user forgets password a new password is emailed to them, this allows logging in again - no problems. question is how and where does user change password to something more memorable?

I'm probably missing a point but would like help

Best wishes for future of Joomla!i
Norman Martin
www.newtraid.org
The Meeting Place for Volunteer Consultants and Clients

user deleted

Re: User can change password?

Post by user deleted » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:39 pm

Hi,

If the user logs in, he/she gets the user menu. One of the menu items for this menu is called "Your details". It is on this menu item where he will be shown his user details such as username, name, email and this is also the page where he can change his password.

nwm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nwm » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:27 pm

Thanks for that!! I had never published the user menu so I missed this entirely
Thanks for your patience with newbies

Norman
Norman Martin
www.newtraid.org
The Meeting Place for Volunteer Consultants and Clients

Jerome
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Jerome » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:30 pm

Hi,

my user menu is published but there are no sub menus and this is the same with other menus except main menu. I am using the same version.

What can i do? Thanks.

Jerome

Nic
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Nic » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:34 pm

The user menu contains no entries if one installs Joomla!/Mambo without sample data (checkbox at install dialog).

Go to "Menu" > "usermenu" and add the links manually. Click on "New" and as type choose "Link - Url". Here are the links found in one of my older Mambo test installations:

"Your Details" -> index.php?option=com_user&task=UserDetails

"Submit News" -> index.php?option=com_content&task=new&sectionid=1&Itemid=0

"Submit WebLink" -> index.php?option=com_weblinks&task=new

"Check-In My Items" -> index.php?option=com_user&task=CheckIn (this one is unpublished by default I think)

There is also one menu item called "Logout" and it just points to the "Component - Login". So for this menu item you have to choose the type "Component".

All those menu items are "Access Level: Registered" and have to be set to "Published" of course. Dunno if there are more by default (I don't use the user menu very often) but I don't think so.

Jerome
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Jerome » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:41 pm

Thank you!  :)

Going to try the links out now.

The links work very well. Thank you once again!

Jerome
Last edited by Jerome on Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nic
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Nic » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:56 pm

Glad to be of help.

Nic

stone3
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by stone3 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:24 pm

We did not originally set up Joomla our web hosting company did. It appears that some of the things that should be standard were not setup that way and when we ask about them they want to charge us to add them.

My point being that when I create new users, with default passwords I want them to be able to change them to something unique and secure.

It looks like everything in the User menu is set up correctly see the screen shot (Right click + View Image to view the entire screen shot) Image

What am I missing here?

surreyfrog
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by surreyfrog » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:52 pm

Nic wrote:The user menu contains no entries if one installs Joomla!/Mambo without sample data (checkbox at install dialog).

Go to "Menu" > "usermenu" and add the links manually. Click on "New" and as type choose "Link - Url". Here are the links found in one of my older Mambo test installations:

"Your Details" -> index.php?option=com_user&task=UserDetails

"Submit News" -> index.php?option=com_content&task=new§ionid=1&Itemid=0

"Submit WebLink" -> index.php?option=com_weblinks&task=new

"Check-In My Items" -> index.php?option=com_user&task=CheckIn (this one is unpublished by default I think)

There is also one menu item called "Logout" and it just points to the "Component - Login". So for this menu item you have to choose the type "Component".

All those menu items are "Access Level: Registered" and have to be set to "Published" of course. Dunno if there are more by default (I don't use the user menu very often) but I don't think so.

Help Please!

where should one see the user menu once logged in?

I have the user menu and all its items published, the links are set as above, yet we do not see anything apart from the login/ logout options - no personal details etc. Can anyone hellp please

???

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:08 am

Hi,

Is the user module published, end assigned to "all"?

Rhand
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Rhand » Mon May 17, 2010 10:42 am

Well one of my Joomla! installations does not have a usermenu. Does this mean I would have to create a usermenu and publish it for registered users as a module to allow my users to change their password? This seems a lot easier on Wordpress. But if this is the only way I will.
CEO Imagewize Ltd: webdesign | web development | branding

kry_d
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kry_d » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:20 pm

All Menus must be created manually and directed where you want them directed. A usermenu is not like a predefined module, you need to create it to your specifications and wants...

Rhand
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Rhand » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:02 am

Thanks for the feedback kry_d even though it is 6 months after the last post. I am sure others will benefit from this in the future!

jimboboc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jimboboc » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:45 am

I must really be dense because I'm unable to find any user password controls after I create a user menu. No "My Details" link, none of the things mentioned in this thread. Can someone help clear up the confusion for me?

Rhand
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Rhand » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:58 am

jimboboc wrote:I must really be dense because I'm unable to find any user password controls after I create a user menu. No "My Details" link, none of the things mentioned in this thread. Can someone help clear up the confusion for me?
Another revival of a really old thread :-) Perhaps you should check: http://help.joomla.org/content/view/392/153/ . The user menu should be available in the front end with all options after you have logged on. If it still does not show see: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=2055307

mojito
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mojito » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:21 pm

I cant seem to change my password on this forum ? where do I do it pls argggg
I am a freelance SEO (https://cambs.eu) web designer and developer working with Wordpress and Joomla since Mambo.

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:02 am

@mojito

go to the top where it says user control panel. On the left there should be an option to change profile/edit accounts settings/password.

mojito
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mojito » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Thank You - still had to dig around, and couldn't change my password to a memorable one since I needed the original random one emailed to me. But thank you. Will have to do ANOTHER reset :)
I am a freelance SEO (https://cambs.eu) web designer and developer working with Wordpress and Joomla since Mambo.

Return to “General Questions - 1.0.x”