Syndcation Error: Cannot Create Joomla RSS Feed

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
spcover
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by spcover » Mon May 31, 2010 7:00 pm

My Joomla site is just not creating RSS Feeds at all. The Syndicate module just comes up blank. When I call up the RSS URL directly using

http://westchester.com/index.php?format=feed&type=rss

I just get an Error 500 screen.

I checked my web hosting account access logs and see

74.101.165.14 - - [31/May/2010:14:17:58 -0400] "GET /index.php?format=feed&type=rss HTTP/1.1" 500 1474 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Zune 4.0; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3)"

which confirms the Error 500. An Error 500 indicates something on the server side preventing the RSS feed program from completing. But there are no other clues as to what is wrong.

Here is my System Info from the Joomla Admin Help Area:

PHP Built on: Linux gandalf.spcdns.net 2.6.9-89.0.25.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu May 6 12:28:03 EDT 2010 i686
Database Version: 4.1.22-standard
Database Collation: utf8_general_ci
PHP Version: 5.2.6
Web Server: Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.6
Web Server to PHP interface: apache2handler
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.18 Stable [ wojmamni ama wojnaiki ] 27-May-2010 18:00 GMT

and here is PHP Info:

Safe Mode: Off
Open basedir: /home/bantanew:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp
Display Errors: Off
Short Open Tags: On
File Uploads: On
Magic Quotes: On
Register Globals: Off
Output Buffering: Off
Session Save Path: /tmp
Session Auto Start: 0
XML Enabled: Yes
Zlib Enabled: Yes
Disabled Functions: show_source, system, shell_exec, passthru, exec, popen, proc_open, allow_url_fopen
Mbstring Enabled: Yes
Iconv Available: Yes
WYSIWYG Editor: Editor - No Editor

Yet, components I use can generate their own RSS feeds, like SOBI2 at this location:

http://westchester.com/marketplace/directory/rss.html

So the problem is specific to the default Joomla RSS feed creation program. I upgraded to Joomla v1.5.18 and still have the same problem. I could swear the RSS data feeds worked earlier, but cannot tell you when they stopped working other than that I noticed it this week. I am not aware of any software changes or updates made on my dedicated server recently. But I need to isolate the problem so I can correct it.

I really need to get this fixed as error logs show many search engine bots are trying to read my RSS feed and getting rejected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sean

spcover
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Syndcation Error: Cannot Create Joomla RSS Feed

Post by spcover » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:24 am

I'm back. I have a couple of clients with Joomla sites on my server and their Joomla sites all produce the syndicated RSS feed without a problem using the same URL syntax. One site is running Joomla v1.5.11 and one site is using Joomla v1.5.18.

So the issue is not a server-wide issue. It is specific to my site.

I am using the default Joomla .htaccess file, so that is not it.

Could a plugin or module, or even the template I am using, possibly create such a conflict that it would bring my entire site's ability to create the normal syndicated RSS news feed?

I will start disabling plugins to find out, but I am grasping at straws here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sean

foobla
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by foobla » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:29 pm

spcover wrote:I'm back. I have a couple of clients with Joomla sites on my server and their Joomla sites all produce the syndicated RSS feed without a problem using the same URL syntax. One site is running Joomla v1.5.11 and one site is using Joomla v1.5.18.

So the issue is not a server-wide issue. It is specific to my site.

I am using the default Joomla .htaccess file, so that is not it.

Could a plugin or module, or even the template I am using, possibly create such a conflict that it would bring my entire site's ability to create the normal syndicated RSS news feed?

I will start disabling plugins to find out, but I am grasping at straws here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sean
Hi Sean,

I saw this bug:

Code: Select all

500 - View not found [name, type, prefix]: article,feed,contentView
It seems the Home menu item doesn't point to com_content > Frontpage, it points to wrong path. You can try to change it to something, and get back to this thread with the results.

Hope that helps.
Thong Tran
http://foobla.com/joomla/obgrabber - Auto Content Grabber for K2, Kunena, VirtueMart, ZOO, FLEXIcontent, JEvents, ...
http://foobla.com/joomla/obsocialsubmit - Auto Social Poster from K2, Kunena Forum, VirtueMart, ZOO, FLEXIcontent, JEvents, ...

spcover
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by spcover » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:24 pm

I have my Home page set to an article, not to the Frontpage component. Some of the newer advanced templates allow you to turn off the component on the Home page, so you can build a Home page full of modules. Mine does not, so I created an article with a small 250x250 Google Adsense ad in it. It displays as small window in the middle of my Home page.

Based on your post, it seems the Frontpage module must be active and be the Home page in order for the RSS Syndicate function to work. So for a brief moment, I switched my Home page from the current Home page to one that was just the normal Frontpage component so I could test my RSS feed URL. And it worked!

Well, in an odd way that makes me feel better. Now I understand the RSS Syndicate function better. And I know it works if under the right circumstances.

What I need to so it figure out how to adjust my template so it can run the Frontpage component but not display the Frontpage blog contents, because that is not the style I want for my Home page.

So thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. Any suggestions on the proper PHP code to embd in my template? Something like <If "Frontpage component" don't display "mainbody">?

Thanks again,

Sean

foobla
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by foobla » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:02 pm

Try this:

<?php
$frontpageItemid = 1; // change 1 to the Itemid of your Homepage
$Itemid = JRequest::getVar('Itemid', 1); // this way doesn't work in some cases, just try
if($Itemid != $frontpageItemid) :
echo '<jdoc:include type="component" />';
endif;
?>
Above piece of code will load mainbody in sub-pages only.
http://foobla.com/joomla/obgrabber - Auto Content Grabber for K2, Kunena, VirtueMart, ZOO, FLEXIcontent, JEvents, ...
http://foobla.com/joomla/obsocialsubmit - Auto Social Poster from K2, Kunena Forum, VirtueMart, ZOO, FLEXIcontent, JEvents, ...

spcover
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by spcover » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:10 pm

Well, bless you, Mr. Tran! I am going to have to buy you a Christmas present this year.

I will try it and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Sean

spcover
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by spcover » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:51 am

Hi there. I tried the code but it did not work. The Frontpage module kept on displaying on the Home Page, which indicates to me the $Itemid = JRequest::getVar('Itemid', 1); statement did not get the value of the Itemid.

Here is the code I used, adapted for my template:

<!-- top component - does not display component on Home Page -->
	<?php
	$frontpageItemid = 1; // change 1 to the Itemid of your Homepage
	$Itemid = JRequest::getVar('Itemid', 1);
	if($Itemid != $frontpageItemid) :  ?>

<div class="wrapper-1">
		<div class="wrapper-2">
			<div class="wrapper-3">
			<jdoc:include type="component" />
			</div>
		</div>
	</div>

<?php endif; ?>
	<!-- end component -->
Is there another way to get the Itemid?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Sean

foobla
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by foobla » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:33 am

Here is the trick:
1/ Point your Home menu to frontpage.
2/ Modify the source code to:

<!-- top component - does not display component on Home Page -->
   <?php if($option != 'com_content' && JRequest::getVar('view') != 'frontpage') :  ?>
   <div class="wrapper-1">
      <div class="wrapper-2">
         <div class="wrapper-3">
         <jdoc:include type="component" />
         </div>
      </div>
   </div>
             <?php endif; ?>
   <!-- end component -->
Tested, it works here.

foobla
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by foobla » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:35 am

By the way, if you need more advance features, both free & commercial RSS Syndicate Extension can be found at: RSS Syndicate - Joomla Extensions Directory

spcover
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by spcover » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:18 am

Thanks so much. You were very helpful. I got my Syndication RSS Feed working again and I owe it all to you. Your help has been greatly appreciated.

Sean

kannansreenivas
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by kannansreenivas » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:08 am

spcover wrote:Thanks so much. You were very helpful. I got my Syndication RSS Feed working again and I owe it all to you. Your help has been greatly appreciated.

Sean
Can you please explain in detail how you got it worked ?
Im having same isssue on J!1.5.23
www.keralatech.in/index.php?format=feed&type=rss
Im just getting download an index.php and also fireburner error that not generating xml data.
Thanks in advance
Kannan Sreenivas ,
Freelance Web Developer , (+917403 00 44 33 )
[email protected]
http://kannansreenivas.elance.com

InteractM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by InteractM » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:17 pm

I have same issue but with Joomla 1.6

princenanda007
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by princenanda007 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:32 pm

I am running 1.7.3 ... but still facing this problem
getting 500 error

http://www.techyvety.com/index.php/en/? ... d&type=rss

please help :(

samta
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by samta » Wed May 09, 2012 9:43 am

Hello Friends,

I am using the syndication module of joomla for applying RSS Feeds in my website.
I have included some php codes in my article pages which are as it is displayed in Feeds.
What I need is the executed result of the php code in my feeds.
I am not able to get a solution of this for a long time. If anybody could help me sort out this..
It will be a great help..

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”