css text style change for all articles

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
becijas
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

css text style change for all articles

Post by becijas » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:34 pm

HI I have some articles that have different text style, and I wounder if it is possible to to change all text style at the same time in css? or mybe in some other way.

dbessinger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: css text style change for all articles

Post by dbessinger » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:28 pm

If you want to change text across all site content (article text, category and section description text, etc.), you can look for something like this in your template's CSS file:

Code: Select all

p {
   [style rules]
}
Not sure how familiar you are with templates, but just in case, you can find usually find your template's CSS file in:

templates/[myTemplateName]/css/[styleSheetName].css

If you don't see anything like this, you can add it. If you aren't familiar with CSS, a good place to start might be the w3schools CSS Tutorial.

becijas
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by becijas » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:48 pm

i wasnt specific enought, the problem is that you can specifay in each article text size, style, color,...( in Joomla! editor), but i realized that the person who wrote this articles used different types of text size and style. so if I try to change style in css it wount change, becouse the article's editor has higer priority.
so I would like to know is it possible to make some commands in css that would override articles settings, so i wouldent have to change each article by hand

dbessinger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dbessinger » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:00 pm

Ahhh. Sorry! In that case, all I know to tell you is to edit your articles individually. While the editor is convenient, I usually write my content in a text editor using XHTML markups. That way, I can use custom styles which I can then change later via CSS, if needed.

For example, when you use the editor's underline button to underline a segment of text, the editor puts span tags around it like this:

<span style="text-decoration: underline;">This is my text.</span>
It would be much better to mark it up yourself like this:

<span class="underlinedText">This is my text.</span>
Then, you would have this in your CSS file:

.underlinedText {
   text-decoration: underline;
}
This way, you can modify how all of your underlinedText appears site-wide. I'll bet that there is a way that you can get styles like that to show up in your editor's Styles and Format drop-downs, but since I always just do the markup myself, I don't know exactly how to do this (assuming that it is possible in the first place).

If I get a few extra minutes, I'll play around with this and post what I find.

kkolinski
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kkolinski » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:48 am

Hi! If I am understanding your questions correctly you may be looking for the editor.css file.

Please make certain I am understanding your question correctly first.

When you go into the article editor, there is a drop down that says style and another dropdown that lets you select paragraph, header, etc. These styles effect how your text,images,etc. display on the front end of an article.

I don't have my installation in front of me but check your template css folder for editor.css. If you do not have this file, copy it from your system folder in the templates directory and paste it into your selected template css folder.

At the bottom of editor.css will be where you can add new lines that will appear in the style dropdown once you upload the new css file.

Please note this is all from memory at the moment and when I stop by my office tomorrow, I will attempt to be much clearer in my instructions.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”