Request for Articles for Joomla! Community Magazine

A place to discuss and manage all matters related to the Joomla! Community Magazine.
OnTheMarkDesign
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Request for Articles for Joomla! Community Magazine

Post by OnTheMarkDesign » Sun May 23, 2010 4:24 pm

The Joomla! Community Magazine Team has been hard at work in the past month preparing for the relaunch of the Joomla! Community Magazine (JCM) in early June 2010.

Currently all articles needed for the Launch Issue have been accepted, therefore the JCM Team is now accepting articles for the 2nd Issue, along with future issues.

You can submit articles here:

http://community.joomla.org/magazine/

Once the 1st Issue is released, there will be info on the JCM website about writers guidelines, and other pertinent info needed for submitting articles to JCM.
Joomla! Community Magazine Team Member
Follow Me at https://twitter.com/OnTheMarkDesign

Tom6
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Request for Articles for Joomla! Community Magazine

Post by Tom6 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi :)

Errr, can i request a brief article about the very basics of using an existing Joomla project? The equivalent of how to plug it in and turn it on & off? I have a feeling that is not what this thread is meant for but i am extremely new here. Previously when i edited web-pages i used "Notepad" (the default Windows text-editor) to edit the html coding and submitted my updates to our web-mistress to upload them for me. The largest program i have used is "Gimp" in Ubuntu for editing pictures but only use it for drawing circles and arrows on screenshots for documentation or help forums (ironically)

Many regards and apols from
Tom :)

porwig
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by porwig » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi Tom6,

If you are asking "how do I publish or unpublish a content update without having to send the text to my webmistress", the short answer is if your webmistress creates a user account for you with the proper access level, Joomla! will let you log in with a username and password and either create new articles or edit existing articles, as well as publish or unpublish those articles.

If I missed what you are asking, you can learn more about this by asking your webmistress, or searching in the the joomla.org documentation or the joomla.org support forums.
Paul Orwig

Tom6
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Tom6 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:51 am

Nope, sorry i confused the issues there. I was really just asking if the Magazine is going to be regularly released then please could we have a brief article to help noobs start using joomla. It would be useful to have an occasional "hints & tips" and something for advanced users to maybe learn something new but it would be great to have an article each time that helps total noobs find a way to get started.

In my case the people i have started working for have an existing website that uses joomla but i have not used it before so how do i ... (insert some basic operation here).

Regards from

porwig
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by porwig » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Understood thanks for the suggestion Tom! Each issue of the magazine will include articles of interest to designers, developers, and administrators. We'll also have a "Did you know...?" section that will have some of the "hints & tips" type content that you referred to.

We hope there will be lots of other interesting articles for end users as well. Look for the first issue on July 1 and please let us know what you like as well as what you'd like to see added or changed!
Paul Orwig

Tom6
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Tom6 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:31 pm

Lol, i am a lot less frantic now that i have actually used Joomla & used the forums here. The answers arrive so fast! A fantastic community here. Now i have settled down i am sure you would have already planned to include articles as i was suggesting, before i suggested it lol
Many thanks and regards from

porwig
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by porwig » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Tom6,

I am glad to hear you're getting a warm and helpful introduction to the Joomla! community.

I came for the software and stayed for the friendly community!
Paul Orwig

Tom6
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Tom6 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:14 am

OpenSource software often works like this but my expectations were a lot lower with Joomla because of the inclusion of Windows users. In other linux forums i typically expect a reply within 6hours to 1 day but joomla gives answers before i get back from lunch!

Thanks for your support :)
Regards from

wonfineday
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wonfineday » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:13 am

Is this a paper magazine, or online?
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

porwig
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by porwig » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:48 am

Hi wonfineday,

The JCM is an online only magazine. To see it, go to http://magazine.joomla.org
Paul Orwig

Return to “magazine.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”