Akeeba back up and menu not showing

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
kcwalsh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Akeeba back up and menu not showing

Post by kcwalsh » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Hello. I recently used Akeeba backup to move a site from one server to another. The process went smooth and the website is working. However, none of my menus are now displaying on the website. It appears the menu module is there (if I disable it the space rolls up). But, the menu items do not appear; they are in the admin though. I have Joomla 1.15.18 installed and using PHP 5.3.1. Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks.

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Akeeba back up and menu not showing

Post by nikosdion » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:20 am

Are you using one of the older RocketTheme templates? The problem is neither in the backup nor the restoration. I have seen a lot of extensions (components, modules, plugins and templates) which are not compatible with PHP 5.3.1. Is there a new version for the extension which produces the menu? If so, install it.

Why? For example, AkeebaBackup.com is using the Affinity template from RocketTheme. The older version we used to have was not compatible with PHP 5.3.1. Every day I restored the latest backup on my local dev server (PHP 5.3.1, now PHP 5.3.2) and I couldn't use the front-end due to the menu issue. As soon as I upgraded the template, the problem disappeared; the new version was compatible with PHP 5.3.
Nicholas K. Dionysopoulos
Director, Akeeba Ltd
Blog: https://www.dionysopoulos.me

Sirvonfloyd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sirvonfloyd » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:54 pm

Hello guys.
i am very n00b in joomla! and i am experiencing almost same problem, i have my website hosted in go daddy with unix shared hosting and i made a akeba backup to upload and install my brand new site and everything went very smooth, but when I go to my site, seems like only the data is showing in the front end, the template disappear completely and of course when i do click in one of the menus that take me to a 404 error page.
this is the site, if you want to take a look. http://theteedepot.com/
i have the site under a sub folder and the template i am using is JA Sanidine II (Light Version) - 2nd Oct 08 JA Teamplate Club.
I have installed virtuemart but in my local computer everything is working fine.
Any idea i will really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
Carlos.
Any ideas

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nikosdion » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:33 pm

Your problem is a bit different than the original poster's. You most probably have to modify your .htaccess file, especially the RewriteBase line. If you're installing on your domain's root, that line should read:

Code: Select all

RewriteBase /
Do note that there is no hash (#) in front of the line. Also note that for the change to be effective you have to have a .htaccess file. If you don't have this file and you have a htaccess.txt, just rename it to .htaccess.

One warning: GoDaddy is vastly inefficient in applying .htaccess changes. On a normal host, these changes should be effective within seconds. Not on GoDaddy. You have to wait 15-30 minutes for the changes to be effective. This makes finding the correct .htaccess settings a royal PITA, but that's what you get with GoDaddy. There's no workaround.

If you want more information on things which may go wrong on a restored site, please also read the "Finalizing the Restoration Process" chapter of Akeeba Backup's documentation.

Feel free to post back if you need more help.
Director, Akeeba Ltd

Sirvonfloyd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sirvonfloyd » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi nikosdion.
Thank you very much for answer.

the .htaccess file tha i have is located in a folder /stats
and the file contain only this line.

Options +Indexes

So. what i did is add a new line and look like this. ( i have the new site in a folder call the teedepot)

RewriteBase /theteedepot
Options +Indexes

and I save it in the same place.. but i have another htaccess.txt that is located with all the website files in /theteedepot folder that contain the following:
##
# @version $Id: htaccess.txt 14401 2010-01-26 14:10:00Z louis $
# @package Joomla
# @copyright Copyright (C) 2005 - 2010 Open Source Matters. All rights reserved.
# @license http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html GNU/GPL
# Joomla! is Free Software
##

#####################################################
# READ THIS COMPLETELY IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE THIS FILE
#
# The line just below this section: 'Options +FollowSymLinks' may cause problems
# with some server configurations. It is required for use of mod_rewrite, but may already
# be set by your server administrator in a way that dissallows changing it in
# your .htaccess file. If using it causes your server to error out, comment it out (add # to
# beginning of line), reload your site in your browser and test your sef url's. If they work,
# it has been set by your server administrator and you do not need it set here.
#
#####################################################

## Can be commented out if causes errors, see notes above.
Options +FollowSymLinks

#
# mod_rewrite in use

RewriteEngine On

########## Begin - Rewrite rules to block out some common exploits
## If you experience problems on your site block out the operations listed below
## This attempts to block the most common type of exploit `attempts` to Joomla!
#
## Deny access to extension xml files (uncomment out to activate)
#<Files ~ "\.xml$">
#Order allow,deny
#Deny from all
#Satisfy all
#</Files>
## End of deny access to extension xml files
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} mosConfig_[a-zA-Z_]{1,21}(=|\%3D) [OR]
# Block out any script trying to base64_encode crap to send via URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} base64_encode.*\(.*\) [OR]
# Block out any script that includes a <script> tag in URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (\<|%3C).*script.*(\>|%3E) [NC,OR]
# Block out any script trying to set a PHP GLOBALS variable via URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} GLOBALS(=|\[|\%[0-9A-Z]{0,2}) [OR]
# Block out any script trying to modify a _REQUEST variable via URL
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} _REQUEST(=|\[|\%[0-9A-Z]{0,2})
# Send all blocked request to homepage with 403 Forbidden error!
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php [F,L]
#
########## End - Rewrite rules to block out some common exploits

# Uncomment following line if your webserver's URL
# is not directly related to physical file paths.
# Update Your Joomla! Directory (just / for root)

# RewriteBase /

########## Begin - Joomla! core SEF Section
#
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/index.php
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.php|\.html|\.htm|\.feed|\.pdf|\.raw|/[^.]*)$ [NC]
RewriteRule (.*) index.php
RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization},L]
#
########## End - Joomla! core SEF Section

So what i did, i removed the comment (#) and i added the folder that contain my website and look like this

RewriteBase /theteedepot

but now i have two .htaccess, one is located in my web folder and the other is located in the root /stats folder.
my question is, which one is the good one?????

Thanks
Carlos

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nikosdion » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:11 pm

.htaccess files work in a cascading manner. Each directory's .htaccess options will overwrite the parent's directory .htccess options. The one in the stats directory is not used for the display on your site. It is only applicable to the stats directory and you shouldn't really chnage it.

The one which matters is the one on your site's root. Right now it's named htaccess.txt, so you must rename it to .htaccess (with the mandatory dot in the beginning) to have any effect at all. I understand that you are installing in a subdirectory named theteedepot, so you are accessing your site as http://www.yourdomain.com/theteedepot/. If so, your RewriteBase is correct. If, however, you installed on your domain's root directory and access your site as http://www.yourdomain.com then your RewriteBase line should read RewriteBase / and nothing else.

Do note that on GoDaddy hosting the changes in .htaccess (even renaming htaccess.txt to .htaccess) will take 15-30 minutes to have any effect at all.
Director, Akeeba Ltd

kcwalsh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kcwalsh » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:30 pm

hey guys. this was helpful thank you. it turns out the template we are using is not working in php5.3.2. we downgraded our php and it works. thanks!

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nikosdion » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:44 pm

@kcwalsh Glad I could be of service :)
Director, Akeeba Ltd

Sirvonfloyd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sirvonfloyd » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:05 pm

nikosdion.
thank you very much again for your help and follow up in this matters, but still i am stuck in the same issue :( :(

I changed the .htaccess file has passed more than 30 minutes, 40 and even 1 hr and nothing happens. i went to my HCC in go daddy and I redirect both domains names to the theteedepot folder and still no showing the site correctly. no even can log to the joomla backend.
I noticed in the browser when i do rollover in the site title, shows in lower bar of the browser this link:
http://theteedepot.com/theteedepot.com/ ... /index.php or something similar.
It might be something wrong with it.
Thanks
Carlos

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nikosdion » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:04 pm

OK, don't despair, there's one more trick in my book ;)

Edit your configuration.php file and find the line which looks like this:

var $live_site = '';
Edit it so that it now reads:

var $live_site = 'theteedepot.com/theteedepot';
I suppose that you do have installed in a subdirectory. If not, it should read:

var $live_site = 'theteedepot.com';
This should do the trick.

Edit: I actually checked your site. The second line should work. Also, the .htaccess line should read:

RewriteBase /
Do this and you should be up and running.
Director, Akeeba Ltd

Sirvonfloyd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sirvonfloyd » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi nikosdion.
Thanks for the reply and i did what you said, but i realize when i got home that the local folder where I had Installed and build the site is /theteedepot.com
so probably that is the problem, so i changed everything to /theteedepot.com and im waiting from yesterday for the domain changes at go daddy that is still pending, I don't know why go daddy take so long.
well, i will let you know what is going on!

Carlos

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nikosdion » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:53 pm

If you had develoed your site locally in a subdirectory, you may find that the usual Joomla! content editor (TinyMCE) or JCE settings are far from optimal in your case. More specifically, if you were linking to a page, like index.php?option=com_foobar, the URL saved in your article is /theteedepot.com/index.php?option=com_foobar or even http://localhost/theteedepot.com/index. ... com_foobar. There is nothing easy you can do in .htaccess to fix this problem, if this is the case here. As a matter of fact, you may have two options:

1. Edit all the articles and fix the URLs, which is a MAJOR task, especially if you're not sure you are affected by this particular problem.

2. I have developed a small plugin, Link-a-Tron, distributed freely from my personal site. You only need to install and activate the "Link-a-tron content plugin" from that page. Then, you can simply edit its configuration from the Extensions, Manage Plugins back-end menu and set the "Link Migration" option to the following (each item is on a separate line):

http://localhost/theteedepot.com/
/theteedepot.com/
Make sure the plugin is activated and try accessing your site again. Does this fix this issue?

PS: Yes, GoDaddy is really s-l-o-w at applying settings. Every update action takes virtually forever to complete, making debugging redirection issues frustrating, to say the least.
Director, Akeeba Ltd

Sirvonfloyd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sirvonfloyd » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi nikosdion.
sweet!!!! Thanks for the suggestion i will download it for sure, but I had already changed the domain name to the new folder, I hope for tonight the setting is up and ready...

BTW. if there any other hosting company that you could suggest me, more reliable and versatile than go daddy, would be nice.

Thanks again!

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nikosdion » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:18 pm

I wouldn't like to blow someone's horn in this forum, but I'd suggest taking a look at the footer of this very site for a link to the best Joomla! hosting company (in my opinion) ;) These guys host all of the official Joomla! sites and they host my own sites too. The speed of their support is only second to the speed of their servers and, believe me, those servers are flying in warp speed.

Full disclosure: I have subcontracted work from them in the past and they do sponsor AkeebaBackup.com by hosting its site for free, so I may be a little biased. You don't have to trust just me, though. Ask around, but make sure you get to ask security-minded professionals (don't take site security for granted). That's the best way to find a good hosting.
Director, Akeeba Ltd

Sirvonfloyd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sirvonfloyd » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:23 pm

Good Morning.
well i have had tried all possible ways and nothing worked out, so what i did is delete everything and start with a new fresh installation in the live server and it worked, even I could install modules and plug ins remotely and everything went very good. fortunately only I had the menus and other section created, so i can create the sections and category pretty fast again.

The only problem now is that in IE, menus are not showing properly, in Firefox show everything perfect. is there any plug in or something to fix that??

Thanks a lot for your help and follow up in this case, i have lerned a lot and i hope someday help some others noobies like me :P
you guys are awesome people, Thanks again.

P.D. any other issue, for sure i will blow the whistle again. :) :)

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nikosdion » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:33 pm

Well, I'm still sure there was something up with the URLs in the previous site, but if you hadn't done any "real work", it's not a bad idea starting from scratch. You can always try transferring the other way around (live to local) once you're through building your site. This will teach you even more about successfully managing Joomla! sites.

Regarding the menus, this is caused by the HTML code produced by whatever is rendering the menus. It is either the template itself or a module - that is, if you are using a module to render the menu. Which one do you use? If it's a template, you'll have to contact the template author. Most probably they have a new version or know of a good solution for cross-browser compatibility. I think you're using a template from JoomlaArt, albeit a very old build. These guys are very fast with fixes and release new versions every few weeks. If you're using their own menu system, you certainly need to talk to them as I'm sure they've already fixed it.
Director, Akeeba Ltd

searchparty
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by searchparty » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:29 am

nikosdion wrote:2. I have developed a small plugin, Link-a-Tron, distributed freely from my personal site. You only need to install and activate the "Link-a-tron content plugin"
Where / how do you install Link-a-Tron? I have used akeeba backup / kickstart to transfer a website to a new domain, and when i login to the new domain admin panel i get redirected back to the old domain's admin panel ...so I presume i dont install LInk-a-Tron onto the new domain admin? Do I therefore need to install onto the old domain, run Link-a-Tron, and then do a fresh akeeba backup and kickstart transfer to the new domain?

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nikosdion » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:19 am

You sent me the same message as an email, I replied to that. I am not really allowed to post my reply here as I would have to link to documentation I have written. Since it is hosted on a non-Joomla.org site it is considered self-promotion and against the rules of this forum. This seriously inhibits my ability to do proper support here :(

In fact, if you want support with Akeeba Backup, you'd better contact me on the official Akeeba Backup forum —which I am not allowed to link to here, as it is also considered self-promotion— where I can really do some proper support. You can find a link to that forum in our JED listing, at http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ackup/1606 Just click on the Support link. Thank you.

I know this sounds completely silly and absurd. I am more frustrated than you, because I really do not like to make my users jump through hoops to get proper support, but I can't do anything about the forum.joomla.org's rules either.
Director, Akeeba Ltd

fraser_john
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fraser_john » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:53 pm

I have just created a new site using Joomla 2.5 and http://www.freshjoomlatemplates.com/joo ... -template/ template. Then installed Akeeba backup and the menu item is not showing under Components.

I have checked in the component manager and it all appears good and it is enabled.

Thoughts?

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:07 am

Try a different browser, try deleting your browser's temp Internet files and any cookies for your site. In Joomla try flushing its cache, also do a check in and purge while there. Still no joy, try re-installing Akeeba.

fraser_john
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fraser_john » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:28 am

dpacadmin wrote:Try a different browser, try deleting your browser's temp Internet files and any cookies for your site. In Joomla try flushing its cache, also do a check in and purge while there. Still no joy, try re-installing Akeeba.
Different Browser - I use Chrome typically, closed out of Chrome and went to IE 8, still no joy
Cache - done, no joy
Checkin - no items to checkin
Purge - done, no joy
Reinstall Akeeba - tried this one already :), but, just for the sake of it, reinstalled via IE 8, no joy there either

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nikosdion » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:59 am

This is a long standing bug in the Joomla! extensions installer. I had proposed a patch about a year ago, but it was never accepted. The bug is not specific to Akeeba Backup, but affects all component. The menu items for a component are not generated on installation/update if, at any point, there was a failed installation/update of that particular component. You need to do some database editing to work around it:
1. First go to Extensions, Extensions Manager, Manage, find any mentions of Akeeba or COM_AKEEBA and uninstall them. It may lead to an error, but don't worry about it yet. Now open phpMyAdmin for the next three steps.
2. Table jos_assets - Find the row where the name column is com_akeeba and delete it
3. Table jos_extensions - Find the row where the type column is plugin and the element column is com_akeeba and delete it
4. Table jos_menu - Find the row where the title is COM_AKEEBA and delete it
Now you can retry installing the extension.
Director, Akeeba Ltd

fraser_john
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fraser_john » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks nikosdion,

Tried each of the tables (jos_assets, jos_extensions & jos_menu) and no entries in any of them so nothing to delete. Though, my table prefix is not the default "jos" it is something specific (ghga25) for this site. Does that make a difference?

Reinstalled, still nothing in the tables ghga25_assets etc. Suspecting table prefix is the issue here.

nikosdion
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nikosdion » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:28 pm

It should go without saying, when you see jos_ you should replace it with your site's prefix, i.e. you should look into the tables ghga25_assets, ghga25_extensons and ghga25_menu...
Director, Akeeba Ltd

fraser_john
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fraser_john » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:37 pm

nikosdion wrote:It should go without saying, when you see jos_ you should replace it with your site's prefix, i.e. you should look into the tables ghga25_assets, ghga25_extensons and ghga25_menu...
Yeah, probably should have mentioned that those are the tables I looked into, nothing in there to delete, reinstalled akeeba and still nothing in those tables.

e.g. MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows). ( Query took 0.0068 sec )
SELECT *
FROM `ghga25_assets`
WHERE name = 'com_akeeba'
LIMIT 0 , 30

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:39 pm

Have you tried Joomla 2.5's database fix? Could it be an ownership or permissions issue? If Akeeba is showing in your Components list there should be something in the database for it.
Sometimes with multiple site I have inspected the wrong database by mistake. This is more likely if you have a copy or two of the site on the same server, the databases can look very familiar to each other.

fraser_john
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fraser_john » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:48 pm

dpacadmin wrote:Have you tried Joomla 2.5's database fix? Could it be an ownership or permissions issue? If Akeeba is showing in your Components list there should be something in the database for it.
Sometimes with multiple site I have inspected the wrong database by mistake. This is more likely if you have a copy or two of the site on the same server, the databases can look very familiar to each other.
Not sure what "Joomlas 2.5's database fix" is? This is a brand new 2.5 install, just done Monday. The MySQL database is GHGA25 and the prefix is the ghga25, so though I have multiple sites on the same server on the same instance of MySQL, difficult to pick the wrong database.

Definitely it is showing, under extension manager it shows as:
Name Location Status Type Version Date Author Folder ID
Display #
akeebabackup-en-GB Site File 0.0.20122103134053 21 Mar 2012 AkeebaBackup.com N/A 10017

Under status it has the green tick, so all should be good.

I can extract the data from ghga25_extensions and it shows the above validly (duh).

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Try a complete uninstall of Akeeba, delete any files in your site's tmp folder, flush the Joomla cache, do a check in and purge also. Then try installing again.

There are instructions on this page on doing a complete uninstall of Akeeba;
https://www.akeebabackup.com/documentat ... ation.html

Have you checked your php version? The latest Akeeba version only works with php 5.3.

Still no joy, have a look through the rest of Akeeba Backup's trouble shooting page and see if anything there helps;
https://www.akeebabackup.com/documentat ... /ch01.html

fraser_john
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fraser_john » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:32 pm

According to System Information tab PHP is 5.3.6-13ubuntu3.6, so should be no issue there

I'll wait till I get home and rework through your comments (uninstall, delete, flush etc.) and retry. Will post results here.

Thanks for the help so far.

fraser_john
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fraser_john » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:34 am

Argh, totally my fault! Had only downloaded the language file and installed it!

Moderator can delete all components of this thread triggered by my mistake if warranted.

Thanks

John

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”