Comunity Builder For Client Area

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Comunity Builder For Client Area

Post by Nick Savov » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi everyone!

I am testing out using Community Builder (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... nities/210) for a Client Area. However it has a few features missing that we need.

Essentially, I am trying to create a site that has some basic information about services and then when the client registers (for free) they get their own client area, where they can fill out questionnaires to see which products they would need. Once the questionnaires are filled out, they can purchase which every packages they choose. In that client area, I need to be able to contact them and add forms which they can download (which apply only to them and no one else). So in other words, each respective client area has to be independent of every other client area. Also, the client area needs to be secured through SSL.

That's why I chose to try out Community Builder. It allows you to create "profiles" and you can block the registered users from seeing each other. However, what I can't figure out is how to provide downloads that are specific to that user and how to only contact that user through their client area in a secure way.

Any ideas of how to do it in Community Builder? Or any suggestions of another component to use?

Kind Regards,
Nick
Joomla Templates created by the Wright Framework.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him" - http://www.desiringgod.org/

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Comunity Builder For Client Area

Post by stutteringp0et » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:18 pm

When I answered your previous post, I mentioned CB as a means to accomplish your goal.

That wasn't exactly correct of me.

CB provided a utility that made it easy to give users the classifications that allowed me to give them each unique settings. By itself, CB doesn't do anything with those settings.

I had to write the component from scratch that used the CB stored information. CB was a means to achieve the classifications easily. The custom output, all me.

If you plan on having each user with a custom page, you'll either be spending a lot of time writing each individual page, or a lot of money to have someone else spend a lot of time writing each individual page.

My suggestion would be to catalog all of the individual tools that any user might possibly have access to and start figuring out a matrix from there. Certainly some of the tools will be used by more than one user. Then create the field that allows access on a per-user basis. The field type that I used was checkbox which allows multiple selections. Once that step is completed (or started even, it can be altered) - start coding a component that enables each individual tool based on the logged in user settings. If coding it is beyond you, hire someone.

Although your request is pretty vague, I'm fairly certain that there isn't an out-of-the-box component that does what you want to do.
My extensions: http://extensions.joomla.org/profile/pr ... ails/18398
Honk if this signature offends you.

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Comunity Builder For Client Area

Post by Nick Savov » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi stutteringp0et,

I was just going through my posts and noticed that I hadn't relied back. I really appreciate your help and when I initially read it it was quite helpful! :)

Kind Regards,
Nick
Joomla Templates created by the Wright Framework.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him" - http://www.desiringgod.org/

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”