yvTransliterate - Transliteration plugin for Joomla! 1.5

Do you have an Open Source Product available for Joomla!? Let everyone know here.
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvTransliterate - Transliteration plugin for Joomla! 1.5

Post by yvolk » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:48 am

This thread is dedicated to support of yvTransliterate plugin.

yvTransliterate is Transliteration plugin for Joomla! 1.5, and it's free. The plugin transliterates article aliases, that are used in Search engine optimization (SEO) for creation of Search engine friendly (SEF) slugs (URLs).
It takes into account "Content Language" of the article. And it may also be used by any other Joomla! extension to transliterate text strings. Language packs are supported: they contain transliterations for additional languages.

yvTransliterate doesn't require any hack to the code of Joomla!'s core: you simply have to install one plugin and as many yvTransliterateLanguagePacks, as you need.

This plugin is the result of the work, that was started in March 2007 (see the thread). I hoped, that this _real_ Transliteration functionality will be inserted in Joomla! 1.5 core,
but it's not there yet (see 'Language slugs transliteration').

On 2008-07-17 yvTransliterate has transliteration for Russian language only, and it has 'Language pack template', that may be easily adapted for new languages...
Now we'll see, how many people really need transliteration (I'm expecting new language translations
with transliteration for different languages).

yvTransliterate has open and simple interface, that uses special triggered event.

For more information about this extension, see yvTransliterate's Homepage and Joomla! Extension Directory.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvTransliterate receives two new transliterations

Post by yvolk » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:26 am

Hi, all people, whose language has non-latin characters :)
I'm glad to announce, I've got several reports, that this plugin works as it says: in the forum and in private messages (see e.g. in Russian forum).
I saw in JoomlaCode, that people are downloading it, including "Language pack template" - 113 times :eek: (maybe, they were bots ??? )
And, at last, during last two days, I received two new transliterations: for Czech and Ukrainian languages! Way to go, pals!

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: yvTransliterate - Transliteration plugin for Joomla! 1.5

Post by infograf768 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:31 am

Great, Yvolk! :)
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvTransliterate v.1.1 transliterates much more Joomla elemen

Post by yvolk » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:27 pm

yvTransliterate v.1.1.0 was released.

1. Added another 'hook' into Joomla! core: parameter 'Extend JLanguage class'. Now yvTransliterate may transliterate not only aliases of Articles (or comments in a case of yvComment), but aliases of other elements of Joomla! site interface also: menu items, sections, categories... in fact, yvTransliterate works in every place, where Joomla! core called JLanguage::transliterate method.
Please note, that in this case yvTransliterate uses Language of current user as source Language for transliteration. So, for example, if you want Section alias to be transliterated according to Russian transliteration table, you have to log in to Administrator site (backend) in Russian language.
This feature works MUCH more effective under PHP5 (it creates proxy to the JLanguage object instead of creating (and populating...) second instance of JLanguage class.

2. Two new translations were added since previous release, see them at JoomlaCode:
Czech (Thanks to Muskwa).
Ukrainian (Thanks to Ary Group).
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

gofry
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gofry » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:00 pm

What exactly is the debug_transliteration_method parameter good for? Does it do something besides being displayed in the debug message?
There is no such thing as a free lunch.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:15 pm

gofry wrote:What exactly is the debug_transliteration_method parameter good for? Does it do something besides being displayed in the debug message?
No, the parameter "Transliteration name" it is for use in Debugging only. It may be good, if e.g. you created some additional transliteration (e.g. Transliteration name='Trans1') for your language and want to test it before using yvTransliterate API: it has this optional parameter:

Code: Select all

$StringToTransliterate = 'E.g. something in Russian: Это текст на русском языке';
$langTagOfStringContentLanguage = 'ru-RU';
$dispatcher =& JDispatcher::getInstance();
$dispatcher->trigger('onTransliterate_transliterate', array(&$StringToTransliterate, $langTagOfStringContentLanguage, 'Trans1')); 

mpele
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mpele » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:50 pm

I have found this plug-in wery usefull but I have ono sugestion.
Now yvTransliterate uses Language of current user as source Language for transliteration, but is it possible to language be fixed - for example Russian?
Many users are more familiar with english interface than their native. It would be wery usefull to define language for transliteration for entire site in parameters for plug-in.

Thanks,

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvTransliterate - Default Content Language

Post by yvolk » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:24 pm

I agree, this will be useful to add new option to the yvTransliterate:
---
"Default content language".
Default value is: "Current User's language", but you may explicitly select any available language from the list.
---
I will add this to the ToDo list...
mpele wrote:I have found this plug-in wery usefull but I have ono sugestion.
Now yvTransliterate uses Language of current user as source Language for transliteration, but is it possible to language be fixed - for example Russian?
Many users are more familiar with english interface than their native. It would be wery usefull to define language for transliteration for entire site in parameters for plug-in.

Thanks,
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

Gruz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Guillemets (angle quotes)

Post by Gruz » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi!
I often have Guillemets (angle quotes) « and » in my article titles. They are replaced accordingly by l and r
That's why Article name is «Hellow, world!» looks like article-name-is-lhellow-worldr

I had to add the following lines to my Russian and Ukrainian translating files
ru-RU.yvtransliterate.xml
and
uk-UA.yvtransliterate.xml
to trim the quotes

Code: Select all

<row>
						<from>«</from>
						<to></to>
					</row>
					<row>
						<from>»</from>
						<to></to>
					</row>
but I feel this is not the correct way. Even if it is, I think the plugin has to trim the quotes, not replace them by l and r.

Thanks a lot for the plugin!

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvTransliterate v.1.2.0

Post by yvolk » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:24 pm

What's new in v.1.2.0:
+ yvTranliterate code moved to SVN repository, see http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/yvtran ... te/scmsvn/
+ Debugging was greatly improved
+ 'Default content language' option was added. If the value of this option was not selected, the language defaults to current Language of User interface.

venz_dt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by venz_dt » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi! yvolk, I tried to install this plugin but it seems that I am doing it wrong. Could you please tell me how to intall it properly, I am a noob in Joomla & Php. I got this " Error! Could not find an XML setup file in the package."

I know this is a kind of dumb for me to ask this but "Is this will work on SEF, I had a russian language on my site and every time I turn on the SEF it is giving me Error 404.

Thanks.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:26 pm

venz_dt wrote:Hi! yvolk, I tried to install this plugin but it seems that I am doing it wrong. Could you please tell me how to intall it properly, I am a noob in Joomla & Php. I got this " Error! Could not find an XML setup file in the package."

I know this is a kind of dumb for me to ask this but "Is this will work on SEF, I had a russian language on my site and every time I turn on the SEF it is giving me Error 404.

Thanks.
Hi, I guess you tried to install "yvTransliterate.zip" - it's not installable indeed!
Please unzip it: it has yvTransliteratePluginX.XX.XXX.zip installable zip inside :-)
It looks like I've published wrong file at joomlacode... now I've published "unzipped" plugin file there instead (see yvTransliteratePlugin-1.02.000.zip file in JoomlaCode).

Thank you for report!

grayz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by grayz » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:37 am

Great add-on to Joomla! Thanks a lot!
I observed that Google has a little bit different table for transliteration. For instance, letter "X" by Google is "H", not "X" as by the official standard.
----
Ok, I fixed it in RU transliterate XML file.
Last edited by grayz on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Developing: boragroconsult.com

grayz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by grayz » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:41 am

Another issue. I use v.1.2.0
Set in user's languages setting Russian (back and front); set as default lang in plugin - Russian; logged-in back-end with English and getting no transliteration for menu items.
Am I doing something wrong?

Gruz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Gruz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:22 am

Try setting global Joomla backend language to Russian:
Extensions - Language Manager - Administrator

grayz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by grayz » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:25 pm

Gruz wrote:Try setting global Joomla backend language to Russian:
Extensions - Language Manager - Administrator
Yes, it helped. When back-end lang is set to Russian, but I'm login in with English transliteration works OK. Thanks!

argent21
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by argent21 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:15 am

Hi,
Can someone please tell me how/ if I can use this plugin to transliterate a dynamic URL into a SEF URL?

I have the plugin installed but don't know where to go from here and the documentation is way too convoluted to understand.

Any help appreciated.

Gruz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Gruz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:52 am

1. Install and publish the plugin.
2. Install and don't publish corresponding plugins with languages.
3. Edit plugin settings (installed and published in p.1.). Enable test mode and enter text phrase to see how and if it works.
4. Tell what you did and what doesn't work, if something doesn't work.

argent21
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by argent21 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:07 am

Hi, thanks for your reply.
1. Install and publish the plugin. - done!
2. I Understand 'Install and don't publish' but don't understand what you mean by corresponding plugins with languages. (languages? - I use English and I want to convert a dynamically generated URL to SEF URL.) - do I need Unicode slugs SEF ? At this URL: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... /sef/10275 if so, then I'm in trouble as the download link doesn't lead to a downloadable extension.
3. Enabled debugging mode and entered string: index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130 - what do I do now? - never been more confused in my life, but then again I am Australian.
My Menu items Manager is filling up fast with copies of the following:

Any help appreciated.

Transliterate:
- Nothing to do (same languages)
From lang="en-GB", To lang="en-GB", method="default", source string:
"mainmenu"
transliterated string:
"mainmenu"
--
yvTransliterate extension, version="1.2.0"

Gruz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Gruz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:23 am

You seem to be here by mistake. This plugin is for non-english users. I generates title aliases in translit. I.e. when you want to write a cyrillic word using latin charachters. I you use English only, you don't need this plugin. You need to enable sef in Joomla global configuration.

SpletniAgent
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by SpletniAgent » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi,

First off all thank you for this great plugin ...

However, even I have read all instruction on your website transliteration of aliases only works if my deafult back-end language is set to russian. I tried to set plugins defult language to slovenian or english and also the corresponding back-end languages, but title aliases are not transliterated (instead some numbers appers - date and time ).

PLease help.

Return to “Open Source Products for Joomla!”