How to format a module position exactly like user3

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
ameless
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How to format a module position exactly like user3

Post by ameless » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:33 pm

I'm trying to add a menu to the bottom of my template, just above the footer. I would like it to be formatted exactly like the main navigation menu which is at position user3.

I created a new module position called user6 and have located it where I want it, but I can't get the formatting piece figured out. I've been trying to use the menu/module class suffix, but its not pulling all of the formatting in.

It seems like there should be an easy way to do this, but maybe I'm just not using the right search terms...

Can someone help?

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: How to format a module position exactly like user3

Post by aemiller » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:52 pm

I can think of two things that might help. If you have not yet done so, I would recommend that you download and use the Firefox plugin Firebug. Firebug will tell you the name of the css file and the line number of the element that you want to change. You can also make changes on the screen to see how that change will look before you make the change in the css file.

Firebug https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1843/
Firebug Tutorial http://docs.joomla.org/Tutorial:Using_F ... la_Website

Also, when you set up your module css class suffix parameter make sure that you put a space before the name of the class you are creating.

ameless
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ameless » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

Firebug is one of my best friends, so I've got that piece in.

What I've done so far is to add 2 of the existing classes to the module
  • in the menu class suffix I have "(space)art-menu", the effect of this was to move the menu from being a bulleted list, to a horizontal list, so that was a start)
    in the module class suffix I have "(space)art-nav", this added the separators
What I can't understand is why using art-menu didn't also change the text formatting to be the same as the menu at user3.

What I notice about the CSS from the menu items in the user3 position is that it has a '.t' after the '.art-menu', but I don't really know how to incorporate that into the module/menu class suffix.

Here's a link to the site, if that helps.

http://www.aml-consulting.com/sandbox/

FWIW right now this is all being done in banner6 instead of user6 as I uploaded a new version of the template and didn't want to take the time to add the new module position again.

ameless
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ameless » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:34 pm

BTW...I don't want you to waste a lot of time on me.

I realize that I can do this through the CSS. I mainly just thought there MUST be some way of creating a module position with the same formatting as another module position.

I haven't found it YET, but its not for lack of trying!

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”