plugin or template to make a voucher / coupon site

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
biobob
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

plugin or template to make a voucher / coupon site

Post by biobob » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:04 am

can anybody point towards a solution for making a voucher/coupon site that is easy to update and expire codes etc? something like this one or similar

Code: Select all

www.myvouchercodes.co.uk
I know theirs is designed, but I am hoping as i have no budget

Siege21
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: plugin or template to make a voucher / coupon site

Post by Siege21 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:43 pm

You can do this in Joomla quite easily, but actually managing the codes may be a little time consuming.

If you were to post each "code" as an article in joomla, then you could set each article to stop publishing on a certain date, which would unpublish it on that date. That should have the required effect.

With regards to actual design, I don't know of any free templates off the top of my head, but I'd suggest hunting around for one that meets your style requirements. Or, if you have any budget at all, you could opt for a commercial template.

One last suggestion though - I'd recommend looking at the K2 component for managing your articles. You can associate an image with each one, and use it in modules as a link to that article (similar to how the boxes beneath the This month's featured retailers: heading are on the front page of that site).

Alternatively, YooTheme's Zoo component (http://zoo.yootheme.com) is another useful content creation component.

Both of those will allow you to better control your articles.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
"Buy land! They've stopped making it" - Mark Twain

http://www.antonydoyle.co.uk

jmuehleisen
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by jmuehleisen » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:54 pm

Using K2 or Zoo or Flexicontent would indeed help here.

Each of these tools (which because of their amazing flexibility do have a learning curve) allow you to define your own content structure.

Joomla gives you "articles" ... they have a title, some text, and author, some dates, and that's about it.

But these tools allow you to define your own content structures unique to your situation. I think they will be worth the time for you to learn.
John Muehleisen
Visit my "Getting Started with Joomla" site, now with videos, tips, and new user tutorials:  http://welcometojoomla.com

biobob
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by biobob » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:38 pm

Thank you very much for replying to my post I will check those suggestions out ASAP
:) :) :)

Siege21
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Siege21 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:45 pm

I agree with jmuehleisen that these components do have a learning curve but I also agree that it's very much worth taking the time to learn them. Especially since they have so many potential uses, once you know how they work, you can put them to good use on virtually any project!

Just out of interest, let us know which, if any, you decide to go with. I'm always interested to see what others are using various components for, seeing the new and often ingenious ways people adapt things. It's really inspires me :)
"Buy land! They've stopped making it" - Mark Twain

http://www.antonydoyle.co.uk

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”