Warning: Parameter 1 to modMainMenuHelper::buildXML() expect

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
achint
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Warning: Parameter 1 to modMainMenuHelper::buildXML() expect

Post by achint » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:18 am

Hi,
I have installed Joomla on my Compaq CQ-40 Notebook with Win 7 beta version,joomla is properly installed but when i open the joomla user interface then i am getting the below errors in 1)Main Menu 2) resources 3) Key Concepts tabs

Warning: Parameter 1 to modMainMenuHelper::buildXML() expected to be a reference, value given in C:\wamp\www\Joomla_1.5.8-Stable-Full_Package\libraries\joomla\cache\handler\callback.php on line 99

harrit
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Warning: Parameter 1 to modMainMenuHelper::buildXML() expect

Post by harrit » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:03 pm

I believe that you are using XAMPP 1.7.2 that contains PHP 5.3.0. At present Joomla! is not certified to work with PHP 5.3.0. You have to use a lesser version of PHP (e.g., PHP 5.2.9). So, uninstall the current version of 1.7.2.

Download XAMPP 1.7.1 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/ and install it. It should solve your problem.

viclm
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by viclm » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:24 am

Thanks!
I'm Chinese,bu I have to find answers in foreign site

fred_riley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fred_riley » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:44 pm

harrit wrote:I believe that you are using XAMPP 1.7.2 that contains PHP 5.3.0. At present Joomla! is not certified to work with PHP 5.3.0. You have to use a lesser version of PHP (e.g., PHP 5.2.9). So, uninstall the current version of 1.7.2.

Download XAMPP 1.7.1 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/ and install it. It should solve your problem.
(sigh) Thanks for the answer, but it's a bit sad that Joomla's not up to speed on PHP and, worse, that there's no PHP version check on the installation routine. I suppose that this also explains why I got errors like:

Code: Select all

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /Users/fredriley/Sites/joomla/libraries/pattemplate/patTemplate.php on line 1424

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /Users/fredriley/Sites/joomla/libraries/pattemplate/patErrorManager.php on line 202
during the installation, and:

Deprecated: Function ereg_replace() is deprecated in /Users/fredriley/Sites/joomla/modules/mod_footer/mod_footer.php on line 24

Deprecated: Function ereg_replace() is deprecated in /Users/fredriley/Sites/joomla/modules/mod_footer/mod_footer.php on line 30
afterwards. So there's me messing around with permissions on configuration.php and thinking about whether I need to edit the error_reporting directive in php.ini to make it less strict, and after all that it turns out that I've got the 'wrong' version of PHP installed - D'OH!! So that's 45 minutes of my life I'll not get back. Guess it's time to download an old version of XAMPP, uninstall the current version, install the old version, and try again with the wash 'n' go web browser installation. This is not a good start, as all I'm wanting to do is evaluate Joomla as a CMS for small sites, yet I find I have to dig into the support fora just for the installation ;(

Never mind, I'm sure I'll grow to love it :-|

Fred

PS: Can the captcha be made a bit more difficult to read? It only took me 5 goes to register and I've good eyesight... ;(

PPS: It is not a good idea to send the username and password in the registration confirmation email in clear text. I used one of my medium-secure passwords on this site and that's now compromised. As a suggestion, advise registering users that the password will be sent in clear text, so that they know to use a disposable login.

fred_riley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fred_riley » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:35 pm

harrit wrote:I believe that you are using XAMPP 1.7.2 that contains PHP 5.3.0. At present Joomla! is not certified to work with PHP 5.3.0. You have to use a lesser version of PHP (e.g., PHP 5.2.9). So, uninstall the current version of 1.7.2.

XAMPP 1.7.1 exists for Windows, but not for Mac - the only release version after 1.0 is 1.7.2. So no chance of testing out Joomla on my Macbook, then, unless I manually install PHP 5.2.9 and hope that it behaves with the rest of XAMPP. Or I could install mySQL, Apache and PHP separately, but that seems rather a lot of bother to simply fit in with the Joomla reqs. No, I think I'll give it a miss and look elsewhere, and maybe come back to Joomla when the community finally makes it compatible with the latest version of PHP.

Never mind, there are plenty more fish in the CMS sea. I've heard good things about SPIP...

Fred

anthonyrsc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by anthonyrsc » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:31 pm

Thanks
:pop

rlwstls
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rlwstls » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:40 pm

Fred:

For a Mac testbed, you might try MAMP:

http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html

It includes PHP 5.2.10.

--Robert

fred_riley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fred_riley » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:42 pm

rlwstls wrote:Fred:

For a Mac testbed, you might try MAMP:

http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html

It includes PHP 5.2.10.

--Robert
Thanks, Robert. I have used MAMP in the past, but chose to go XAMPP of late as I heard there was a Mac version and I'm quite fond of XAMPP from using it on Windoze (my work OS). Now that I've got things nicely set up for XAMPP I don't fancy replacing it with MAMP simply to fit in with (strange) requirements of a CMS I just want to evaluate. In truth, Joomla would likely be way over the top for the simple website I run (http://www.eurocall-languages.org) and for which I'm evaluating CMSs, which is why I'm currently looking at the lightweight SPIP. Joomla's not alone in its complexity, of course: Drupal and Typo3 are also whizzy CMSs that can supposedly do everything other than scratch your arse for you (and there's likely a module for that ;)), and big systems like those and Joomla are useful for developers who have to churn out highly-featured sites quickly on a regular basis for their clients. For that reason alone, they're worth investing very significant amounts of time in, time which is needed as the learning curves are often steep - that's certainly the case with Drupal, and I suspect it also is with Joomla. If you don't run a website production line, though, the cost-benefit ratio goes way up.

Anyway, if SPIP and other lightweight CMSs (any suggestions?) I look at don't hack it, I'll be back here, I guess.

Cheers

Fred

rlwstls
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rlwstls » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:23 pm

fred_riley wrote: [...snip...]

For that reason alone, they're worth investing very significant amounts of time in, time which is needed as the learning curves are often steep - that's certainly the case with Drupal, and I suspect it also is with Joomla. If you don't run a website production line, though, the cost-benefit ratio goes way up.

Anyway, if SPIP and other lightweight CMSs (any suggestions?) I look at don't hack it, I'll be back here, I guess.

Cheers

Fred
I find Joomla much easier than Drupal in terms of initial learning curve. But even Joomla has its odd nature. (By the way, I ended up here because I just loaded the new XAMPP on a test PC. I'll be reverting that to a previous version. Most of my hosting providers do not have the latest MySQL and PHP versions anyway.) So I can kind of see what you're saying. On another day when you have a bit of time, I'd say Joomla is well worth the curve.

Hmmmm. How "lightweight" is lightweight? One very light CMS I've looked at, but was too lightweight for my needs at the time, is SNews (http://snewscms.com/). It's pretty simple, but might be useful to you. A not-so-light, but fairly simple-to-learn content management framework is MODx (http://modxcms.com/). I loaded SNews, and it's working fine with the new version of XAMPP. Haven't tried MODx yet.

Hope something there is useful.

--Robert

fred_riley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fred_riley » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:42 am

rlwstls wrote:
Hmmmm. How "lightweight" is lightweight? One very light CMS I've looked at, but was too lightweight for my needs at the time, is SNews (http://snewscms.com/). It's pretty simple, but might be useful to you. A not-so-light, but fairly simple-to-learn content management framework is MODx (http://modxcms.com/). I loaded SNews, and it's working fine with the new version of XAMPP. Haven't tried MODx yet.

Hope something there is useful.

--Robert
Thanks very much, Robert - those are excellent tips. My main, very simple, requirement from a CMS is for authorised users to be able to edit their own pages, as that's a major bottleneck in the site I quoted, that all content has to come through me. All else is gravy :), though it is nice to have add-ons like polling, blogs, RSS feeds, etc.

Also by 'lightweight' I mean that pages should load fairly quickly. There'll always be an overhead with CMS rather than 'normal' sites because each request runs a DB query, but some Joomla and Drupal sites I've come across are thumb-twiddlingly slow.

Cheers

Fred

rlwstls
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rlwstls » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:08 pm

fred_riley wrote: Thanks very much, Robert - those are excellent tips. My main, very simple, requirement from a CMS is for authorised users to be able to edit their own pages, as that's a major bottleneck in the site I quoted, that all content has to come through me. All else is gravy :), though it is nice to have add-ons like polling, blogs, RSS feeds, etc.

Also by 'lightweight' I mean that pages should load fairly quickly. There'll always be an overhead with CMS rather than 'normal' sites because each request runs a DB query, but some Joomla and Drupal sites I've come across are thumb-twiddlingly slow.
I understand better now. With the permissions requirement, MODx might work for you; SNews will not. And Joomla in its current incarnation won't either (not natively). Version 1.6 will. Drupal will. And I thought of another CMS I liked a bit when I was reviewing CMSes: phpwebsite (http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu/index.php). It also supports ACLs/user permissions.

Page load speed is always so hard to evaluate (mainly because it's influenced primarily by the load on the server the site is hosted on at the moment you're connecting--so it's hard to say which site is slow because of the software and which is because of a poor hosting environment). So, for speed comparisons, I use a local computer and run all the systems on the same platform. For feature comparisons, have you looked at http://www.cmsmatrix.org and/or http://www.opensourcecms.com? If not, there might be some info there that can help you select (there are a bunch of open source cmses).

Unfortunately, that's probably all I can add. Hope your project goes well. It'd be interested to hear on which you decide to use.

--Robert

fred_riley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fred_riley » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:19 am

I understand better now. With the permissions requirement, MODx might work for you; SNews will not. And Joomla in its current incarnation won't either (not natively). Version 1.6 will. Drupal will. And I thought of another CMS I liked a bit when I was reviewing CMSes: phpwebsite (http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu/index.php). It also supports ACLs/user permissions.
I think I've had a brief look at that system a while back but can't be sure. I'll certainly give it another look.
For feature comparisons, have you looked at http://www.cmsmatrix.org and/or http://www.opensourcecms.com? If not, there might be some info there that can help you select (there are a bunch of open source cmses).
Yes, I've looked at the second link, and it made my head spin. The sheer number of CMSs out there is staggering - quite a little ecology. I wonder if there's a kind of evolution going on, with a few big general-purpose beasts like Joomla and Drupal at the top of the food chain, and lots of little creatures scuttling around in the undergrowth fitting to their own ecological niches ;)

The CMS matrix is a little overwhelming as you have to select the CMS titles first before comparing. Is there anything in the CMS world like the very fine Wiki matrix (http://www.wikimatrix.org/)? This allows you to select the characteristics and features you want, step by step, and it whittles down the wiki list accordingly until you're left with a manageable pile to sift through.
Unfortunately, that's probably all I can add. Hope your project goes well. It'd be interested to hear on which you decide to use.
"Unfortunately"? On the contrary, you've given me plenty of leads to follow up, for which many thanks. As there are literally hundreds of CMSs out there it's just impossible to evaluate them all, so it's very helpful to have someone knowledgeable point to particular ones that are worth looking at.

Cheers

Fred

rlwstls
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rlwstls » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:40 pm

fred_riley wrote: The CMS matrix is a little overwhelming as you have to select the CMS titles first before comparing. Is there anything in the CMS world like the very fine Wiki matrix (http://www.wikimatrix.org/)? This allows you to select the characteristics and features you want, step by step, and it whittles down the wiki list accordingly until you're left with a manageable pile to sift through.

[...snip...]
"Unfortunately"? On the contrary, you've given me plenty of leads to follow up, for which many thanks. As there are literally hundreds of CMSs out there it's just impossible to evaluate them all, so it's very helpful to have someone knowledgeable point to particular ones that are worth looking at.
Okay, maybe there's one more thing I can add :D . At the CMS Matrix site, click the Search tab. It'll take a few seconds to load the CMS list. But on the right side of the search page is a set of "characteristics" you can choose, and matching CMSes will be displayed. For example, pick PHP as the programming language and you'll get all those programmed in PHP. Under Security pick Yes for the Granular Privileges item. Then add the other qualities you're looking for. I think that will behave a bit like the wiki site you mentioned.

Glad I could be of help! Good luck.

--Robert

Impersious
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Impersious » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:41 pm

fred_riley wrote:

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /Users/fredriley/Sites/joomla/libraries/pattemplate/patTemplate.php on line 1424

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /Users/fredriley/Sites/joomla/libraries/pattemplate/patErrorManager.php on line 202
during the installation, and:

Deprecated: Function ereg_replace() is deprecated in /Users/fredriley/Sites/joomla/modules/mod_footer/mod_footer.php on line 24

Deprecated: Function ereg_replace() is deprecated in /Users/fredriley/Sites/joomla/modules/mod_footer/mod_footer.php on line 30
afterwards. So there's me messing around with permissions on configuration.php and thinking about whether I need to edit the error_reporting directive in php.ini to make it less strict, and after all that it turns out that I've got the 'wrong' version of PHP installed - D'OH!! So that's 45 minutes of my life I'll not get back. Guess it's time to download an old version of XAMPP, uninstall the current version, install the old version, and try again with the wash 'n' go web browser installation. This is not a good start, as all I'm wanting to do is evaluate Joomla as a CMS for small sites, yet I find I have to dig into the support fora just for the installation ;(

Never mind, I'm sure I'll grow to love it :-|

Fred
This can be solved by replacing ereg_replace with str_replace on the lines mentioned. Still havent found a way to go around the parameter problem but it are to come soon i hope. :-)

timothywachiuri
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by timothywachiuri » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Warning: Parameter 1 to modMainMenuHelper::buildXML() expected to be a reference, value given in C:\Users\tim\Desktop\timothy\xampp\htdocs\domains\joomla\libraries\joomla\cache\handler\callback.php on line 99

I solved this problem. I did it by changing the menu type from Legacy FlatList to Legacy Vertical.

1. Go to Module Manager (Extensions->Module Manager). A list of modules will show.
2. If the list is too long you can filter by selecting 'mod_mainmenu' in the drop down box written 'Select Type'.
3. Click on the menu you wish to change. This will show the Module: [edit] page.
4. On the right side under Menu paramenters, the second option is Menu Type. Change it from Legacy FlatList to Legacy Vertical.

Voila. No more Problems. :p

i hope this solves your problem.

arhitecturalia
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by arhitecturalia » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:34 pm

timothywachiuri UR a GENIUS!!!!!!

THX
And yes, Joomla guys are kind of lasy with this PHP problem. Probably personnel cuts with this crysis :D :pop

grwestby
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by grwestby » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:20 pm

I have come to realize that the real issue for myslef was that the version of Joomla! I was working with was 1.5.12. When I was going through this posting I found that I could not perform the above changes in the module, as listed above, because I was getting a new error...

Warning: Parameter 1 to JHTMLGrid::access() expected to be a reference, value given in D:\XAMPP\htdocs\joomla_development\libraries\joomla\html\html.php on line 87
This was the point where I realized that the Joomla! team was always correcting issues and they had to have fixed something such as incompatibility.

I updated to 1.5.15 and everything works perfectly with XAMPP's newest version.

matican
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by matican » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:08 pm

i have a same error :
Warning: Parameter 1 to IcemodMainMenuHelper::IcebuildXML() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/xxxx/public_html/libraries/joomla/cache/handler/callback.php on line 99

i have a live site not in xamp !

LordF
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by LordF » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:21 am

Thank's grwestby
The solution for me was upgrading.
What I learned? Always have the latest version of Joomla!!!!

rashidm1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Warning: Parameter 1 to modMainMenuHelper::buildXML() ex

Post by rashidm1 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:43 am

in : /modules/mod_mainmenu/helper.php
You can change this :
function buildXML(&$params)
to
function buildXML($params)

and it will solve it for you ;)

dexter_ade2
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dexter_ade2 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:16 am

rashidm1 wrote:in : /modules/mod_mainmenu/helper.php
You can change this :
to

and it will solve it for you ;)

Hi rashidm1, thanks your answer help me so mucho!!

aanondo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by aanondo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:28 am

in : /modules/mod_mainmenu/helper.php
You can change this :
to

That's the solution. Thanks.

greco
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by greco » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:54 pm

timothywachiuri wrote:Warning: Parameter 1 to modMainMenuHelper::buildXML() expected to be a reference, value given in C:\Users\tim\Desktop\timothy\xampp\htdocs\domains\joomla\libraries\joomla\cache\handler\callback.php on line 99

I solved this problem. I did it by changing the menu type from Legacy FlatList to Legacy Vertical.

1. Go to Module Manager (Extensions->Module Manager). A list of modules will show.
2. If the list is too long you can filter by selecting 'mod_mainmenu' in the drop down box written 'Select Type'.
3. Click on the menu you wish to change. This will show the Module: [edit] page.
4. On the right side under Menu paramenters, the second option is Menu Type. Change it from Legacy FlatList to Legacy Vertical.

Voila. No more Problems.
Perfect for me!
Thank you "timothywachiuri"

pherum
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by pherum » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:55 am

Dear all here,

for me I use latest wamp server but the PHP is 5.3.0 and I got the message error like :
Warning: Parameter 1 to modMainMenuHelper::buildXML() expected to be a reference, value given in C:\wamp\www\gg.com\libraries\joomla\cache\handler\callback.php on line 197

and I try to search the latest wamp server and it say the latest wamp server have PHP 5.3.0

Please help what can I do ?

Best regard,

pherum

pherum
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by pherum » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:04 am

Ok I have to install the new one that have PHP 5.2.0 or less then PHP 5.3.0 I forgot to read all the post you all have posted.

thanks

pherum
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by pherum » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:41 am

No I can't . :( I use wamp server with PHP5.3.0 and I install the joomla and it work well , but when i download the joomla site from the company I got an error :
Warning: Parameter 1 to modMainMenuHelper::buildXML() expected to be a reference, value given in C:\wamp\www\gg.com\libraries\joomla\cache\handler\callback.php on line 197
and other message that can't show the menu

pherum

catt231
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by catt231 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:42 pm

I'm having the same issue, it works fine on my hosting which is running joomla version 1.5.13
but won't run on my local machine?

My current helper.php also already said function buildXML($params) so that's no help either - any ideas?

Thanks

pherum
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by pherum » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:18 am

Now mine is working. I just change the php version from php5.3.0 to php5.2.7

pherum

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:37 am

catt231 wrote:I'm having the same issue, it works fine on my hosting which is running joomla version 1.5.13
Upgrade to 1.5.20...all below 1.5.20 is either not up-to-date with code or vulnerable

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:40 am

Btw: anybody realy explores this forum and specs?
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=428&t=426456

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

Return to “Administration 1.5”